5.0 out of 5 stars Good TV, great gaming monitor
Published 8 months ago by Six

2.0 out of 5 stars decent price/performance, but a MAJOR FLAW! be warned!
i did not buy this from amazon, but i got it from Dell. I love amazon, but dell's deal was better at the time i got it.
I can post picture of my invoice to prove i do own it, if anyone questions the validity of my review.
I'm writing this review just to warns other of what i found out.

As for the tv, it's good and a decent price for the features;...
Published 5 months ago by Tuan Bui

5.0 out of 5 stars Good TV, great gaming monitor, April 15, 2014
I saw this tv at my local Brandsmart and was impressed; it had perhaps the best picture among standard LED tvs. An LG rep said the LB5800 series use an IPS panel with full array LED backlighting. With help from another Amazon member, we were able to determine the 39" uses an MVA panel, while the 32" uses an IPS panel (see comments). On LG's claim of full array LED backlighting, I assume it's valid, perhaps without local dimming as found on the LB6300 series.

I wanted a large screen gaming monitor to sit on my desk. This tv is pretty much all screen so no wasted space. Legs are sturdy, metal with plastic finish. Powered off, the screen is dark and not quite glossy but not quite matte. Colors are bright and vibrant, blacks are deep, screen is bright and uniform.

As a monitor, the 60hz panel works because input via HDMI from seems limited to 60hz anyway, meaning I could not overclock the 60hz refresh rate using several methods. I suggest not getting hung up on advertised refresh rates though, screen is fast and blurring is minimal even during gaming. TV does have a gaming mode which turns off video processing. While I can't assign a value to input lag, I can say this tv feels more responsive than my old Samsung with no gaming mode. Desktop text is fairly sharp, but doesn't compare to an IPS 1900x1200 monitor.

I find these settings optimal for monitor/gaming:

backlight = 80
contrast = 80
brightness = 50
color = 50
sharpness = 10
picture mode = game
energy saving = off

On general TV functions, menus are easy to navigate, Netflix streaming tuned in at HD with no buffering. Sound is okay, it's bottom firing, with some voice clarity lost behind the screen. Sound bar recommended for best experience. 120 motion index makes movement, especially people moving across screen seem somewhat animated, looks good though.

Lastly, LG uses sturdy Styrofoam packing and box material. Box is study, corners hold fast, box center doesn't yield much even with decent pressure applied. Easy assembly and menu config, up and running in under ten minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY NICE TV AND AT A GREAT PRICE, July 8, 2014
TEKZ1 (FLORIDA USA) - See all my reviews
I thought about giving it 5 stars,but i had to be honest with myself.The TV is a very good buy.Price wise and picture with many nice features.
It picked up internet WI-FI No problem.Has two great EASY BUTTONS foR Quick menu ans settings on remote controller.It even has an
My Apps. easy button .
So what is the problem?
Well it does not come with an Easy set up manual .I figured it all out but because i have heavy background in electronics.
With this said it has easy HDMI (3) CONNECTIONS,USB PORTS (2) CAN PLAY EVERY FORMAT I HAD (MP4.AVI. AND OTHERS)
I like the control remote picture is awesome and parental control features.Easy to set picture settings.I don't recommend you use the
Energy saving picture mode unless its in bright area.(Dims light according to ambient light)
I'm over 60 my eyesight did not like it.
All in all im very happy,just right size for bedroom (The bigger the screen the further away to view for best performance and optimal eye care}
I recommend minimum 6 ft for this one.
1080pi is great no fuzzy corners.
Netflix and others work great.
I say buy it.
From leg to leg its 34 inches and width off each leg is only 9 inches so if you have a drawer or cabinet thats more than
35x12 you're fine
recommend you get the 2 yr trade insurance,very affordable ,i did.

CONS.
If you're looking for a gamer TV,be real no 60hz will satisfy you.This is a Good TV/Netflix etc. TV just that,no more no less.
NO EASY INSTRUCTION SET UP MANUAL FOR REMOTE CONTROL AND OVER ALL SETTING.
YOU CAN GET PDF ON WEB SIGHT.
PRO
USB THAT REALLY WORKS
EASY WI-FI SET UP

FINAL IMPORTANT NOTES:
LIKE ALL SMART CELL,AND TV'S,YOU ARE AGREEING TO SHARE WITH MANUFACTURER YOU'RE VIEWING HABITS WITCH THEY USE TO SEND PROMOTIONS TO YOU'RE EMAIL.ALWAYS HAVE A SECOND EMAIL NAME FOR THESE.
ALWAYS RESEARCH WEB FOR REVIEWS ON ALL ELECTRONICS THERE ARE CONSUMER REPORT PRO'S OUT THERE.
JUST TYPE MAME AND MODEL ANS WORD REVIEW AT END.
100 OFF US CAN GET A GOOD UNIT NEXT GUY MAY HAVE A FLAKY ONE,THATS WHY ALWAYS BUY PRIME MEMBERSHIP FOR WARRANTY.
AMAZON PRIME IS BEST THERE IS.
NO ONE PAYS ME,I BUY 90%OFF ALL MY STUFF HERE,NEVER FAILED TO STAND BY ME.

2.0 out of 5 stars decent price/performance, but a MAJOR FLAW! be warned!, July 14, 2014
Tuan Bui (SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I'm writing this review just to warns other of what i found out.

As for the tv, it's good and a decent price for the features; looks nice and has all the basic functions. smart apps is great, netflix and hulu. All is well. Those things are pretty standard now so nothing big.

on to the MAJOR FLAW.
Started watching some movies, and i notice something strange. During scene transition from brightly lit to dark scene, the tv DIMS and BRIGHTEN; globally (the entire screen). It does this every time. It dims to the point where you can barely make out any details in the dark scenes. As you know with movies, details is everything in darken scenes. It's purposely done so for you to focus on the details.
so first, i thought it was Energy-saving features. I go and it off, no energy-saving. IT still does it! No matter which input i'm using, irregardless of the source.
I thought that was strange. So i googled LG TV Dimming, lo and behold… i'm not the only one. what the heck is going on.

It turns out you CAN'T TURN IT OFF!!
visit this forum/link avforums.com it's a large and highly respected forum for all things audio and video
[...]

This "feature" is hardwired into the firmware. It's been there for all LG tv's since 2010 (from the date of user complaint)
It's seem LG done this to either be able to "claim" higher contrast ratio or better energy-efficiency. Either way, it completely ruins picture details in dark scenes.

WORK-AROUND
1. rename your HDMI input on the tv to PC. this will circumvent the dimming "feature". This only works if your source is at 60hz. Some blue ray player is lower, and it won't work.
fortunately for me my main usage is via pc for input and nothing else.

2. someone said use an inverter from HDMI to DVI. only works if your LG tv has an DVI input.

Other brand does this as well, but they have updated their firmware to allow end-user to turns it off completely. as of yet LG won't allow it or even admit this is a FLAW and not a "feature".

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tv, May 12, 2014
Tv colors 10 out 10 black levels 9 out 10 sound 8 half out 10 alot of control settings 10 out 10 over all design 10 out 10 remote control 8 out 10 smart tv functions 8 out of 10

2.0 out of 5 stars LG = NSA, July 9, 2014
I needed a 32'' smart TV for a small bedroom. I bought the 32LB5800 for a great price on Ebay. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I thought the built-in apps for these services would be awesome. Only it turns out, in order to sign in to Netflix and Amazon Prime, I have to consent to LG's collecting and selling my personal information to third parties. I also have to agree to arbitration and not become part of a class action lawsuit to resolve problems with LG. I posted some pictures of what LG asks people to give up in order to use their LG smart TVs.

The TV itself is a mixed bag. Picture quality is good. Size viewing is better than average, thanks to the IPS screen.

This TV does not have a headphone output. Amazon description is wrong. Nor does it have RCA audio output.

An optical to RCA converter is the only way to connect headphones to this TV.

The side stands might look good, but they are not very functional, especially for the 32'' size.

With a standard stand, you can put the TV on a table that's not as wide as the TV itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Picture, Great Features, April 18, 2014
This review is from: LG Electronics 42LB5800 42-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED TV (Electronics)
I love this TV! This has a great, clear picture. The other features such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube just add even more bonus to the purchase. I love how I can control YouTube from my phone and send the YouTube video from my phone directly to the TV (via the YouTube app on my phone and on the TV). This makes searching for videos much easier than trying to type with the TV remote.

3.0 out of 5 stars NIce picture/Limited connections, July 10, 2014
Nice TV, but false advertising on the connections. There is no stereo audio jack. It is an issue because I was needing it..

5.0 out of 5 stars LG = phenomenal picture quality. This TV is awesome., August 7, 2014
This TV is awesome. I priced out many Smart LED TVs at the 40 inch size. I also went to Best Buy to see the image quality and narrowed my selection down to the LG, VIZIO, and Panasonic. At one point I bought the Panasonic display model which was marked down. But when I got it home I couldn't get past the Home screen, which is a menu page for the smart apps. The display model was useless without the remote. Also, my experience with purchasing this TV then returning it, reminded me what I don't like about retail shopping in a store. Finding an associate to ring me up, who was disinterested to help. Then listening to him drone on about how I needed an extended warranty because most TVs will break down after two years...what? So between LG and VIZIO, I made the decision to go with LG. My reasoning came from the picture quality and design of the LGs. Nothing against VIZIO, but I believe LG has been making superior quality TVs for many years now, with only Samsung as its rival. I wanted a Smart LED TV with 1080p, 3 HDMI ports, USB, and decent speaker quality, which looked nice even when its not on. After making my decision, I had no regrets. The TV was easy to set-up and the picture quality was excellent even in standard mode. I made a few adjustments by selecting expert mode in the picture settings. This allows you to scale up or down back-lighting, contrast, color saturation, and tint quality on a spectrum of colors. Once I had everything tuned the way I liked, I hooked-up my Blue Ray player and popped in a few of my recent favorites (Prometheus, Man of Steel, etc.). Enter...mind blown. Wow! This image quality is unreal. Actually, sometimes I'll be in the middle of a movie and swear that the movie I'm watching was shot on HD video rather than film, because there is absolutely no grain or blur. I find myself staring at things like leaves blowing in a tree or the variety and vibrancy colors on a landscape. Yeah I feel pretty good about this purchase and would highly recommend this TV to anyone who seeks a superior movie watching experience. Also the smart apps work great and I got a month of amazon Prime free...which was pretty cool. Prime has a plethora of good shows as well. Check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., April 21, 2014
I started out just looking for a tv for my home office. Nothing special, just wanted it to have some basic smart features. I started out a VIZIO 32" E320I-A0 and was far from satisfied. Outside of the quality reminding me of some sort of cheap knock off electronic, the interface was slow and horrible. Luckily I came to my senses and decided to spend a little more for this model. The LB5800 is a solid smart LED TV. It looks great, A/V performance is excellent, and feels like it was worth the money. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a under 40in TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as nice as my 42" LG Smart TV, April 28, 2014
Robert "Old World Traveler" (Corvallis, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
There is ONE big problem that I ran into. I ordered the Magic Remote AN-MR400. This TV is a 2014 TV. Prior to ordering the Magic Remote I asked a lot of questions and went to the LG website. I never saw that one must get an MR500 to work with this TV because the MR400 does not. The MR400 turns the TV on, but there is NO cursor, making the remote useless. Amazon does not have the MR500 so I have to go to LG for that. I learned all of this through a long chat with LG. There is always something that costs you more time and more money. I should have known better because LG never responded to my questions about the remote, as in "Does the MR400 work with this TV?"

The MR400 is awesome on my LG 2013 42" Smart TV.

It would be nice if there were more information on such things. LG and Samsung have so many products even they can't keep up with their own changes.