5.0 out of 5 stars Most TV for your money.
Published 5 months ago by Steven Wallace

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchased 12. Two failed within 24 hours of use.
Published 16 months ago by Remy

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchased 12. Two failed within 24 hours of use., May 31, 2013
This review is from: LG Electronics 42LN5300 42-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
I purchased 12 of these TVs for business. One of them failed after only about 6 hours of use another about 24 hours. The problem with both TVs is the same: It turns itself off and if you restart it it stays on for a short time and turns itself off again. One of the TVs turned itself off and on and ultimately failed to turn on again. There is at least one other buyer who experienced this problem. When the first TV failed I replied to his posting. You can read it under his post. I decided to create a new post after the second TV failed. 2 out of 12 is a very high failure rate. I am very disappointed. The TVs I purchased are the 42" version. I will try to return all of them. I will post my experience with Amazon after I speak with them. I would not buy this model again and I can not recommend this model based on my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most TV for your money., April 22, 2014
I am pleased with nearly everything about this Television. The picture is excellent and has plenty of display settings to play with. In fact, since the screen is so incredibly bright, it produces an acceptable picture even in direct sunlight. The remote feels good 'n substantial, and has everything you'll need. The on board speakers are average, but good enough to use if you don't have/want external audio (I bought a sound bar w/ sub).

The biggest drawbacks for me are the relatively few (2) HDMI ports, that those ports lack HDMI-CEC support [Sorry Chromecasters, no automatic input switching :-( ], and the lack of any audio out other than an optical port.

The bottom line is that if you have $400 to spend on a TV, this is, by far, the biggest and best you can get. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional TV for this price range, July 25, 2014
For the price you cant go wrong with this TV. The picture is exceptional for this price range. I purchased this TV for my sons room and im VERY impressed with this TV. The picture is easily as clear as many TV's in the $1000-$1500 range.

Its not a Smart TV but lets get realistic about Smart TV's. Do you even need one? If you have a playstation 3 or 4, Xbox 360 or Xbox one the answer is no all that stuff is built into the gaming console. Roku box, Apple TV, Chromecast, Etc.. All of these things do the same thing and MORE then a smart TV will do, so why waste the extra money on a smart TV if you dont need it.

1.0 out of 5 stars died 32 days after it arrived., June 16, 2013
Was a great picture until it started just turning off by itself intermittently with the red LG light flashing. Amazon handled the situation wonderfully, as always, but i'm glad i bought the squaretrade because i have a feeling i'll end up using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV, March 24, 2014
This TV is dope. I found it on amazon for 398.00 no tax no shipping, bam 398. I couldn't be happier with the tv unless it started dancing around the room in excitment with me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective upon arrival, June 27, 2013
No problem with Amazon at all. Came quickly, but when hooked up, had red and green dots and lines all over the screen. Contacted LG factory service. They said it was one of two major internal parts, both of which would have to be ordered. Returned and got refund quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, August 25, 2013
I haven't had any of the problems that other people have talked about. I left the TV on for 2 weeks straight and it never shut off. The frame is fairly thin which makes the screen even look bigger, the colors are bright and the remote works really well. The sound is good as well. I initially started looking at 39" sets as they were lower cost but when I saw them at the store next to a 42" they looked to be wide and short compared to the normal look of a TV set. If you have a chance to get this set, I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, get something better., September 25, 2013
I purchased this tv in June, and it was okay when I first set it up, the picture wasn't anything to write home about; but it was good enough. About 2 months later however; I began noticing horizontal white lines during dark scenes on the tv. It becomes a lot orse when there is movement on screen. It is getting progressively worse as the days go on. LG basically told me I was screwed, so here I am. The firmware isn't even upgradeable without having a technician come out to do it for you, the usb port is STRICTLY photo and music only. Do not purchase this tv, save your money for something nicer, it is not worth the headache.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, July 5, 2014
Picture is perfect on the HD channels! Sound is great--haven't had the volume over 10. I have the TV in the family room; and for me, 42" is the perfect size. I haven't found anything I didn't like about it. Price was excellent and arrived within a week.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV overall with minor problems, April 21, 2014
J. Sapp (ATL, GA, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the 42" version of this at the local walmart with some gift cards.

Pros

- Once the settings are calibrated, the picture quality is excellent and the colors pop
- Navigation is fairly simple
- LG has great customer service
- The sound get loud and the quality is okay ONLY if you've never hooked up your TV to an external audio system
- Very sleek looking
- I can't believe the refresh rate is only 60Hz, it seems much much smoother than my other 60Hz TV

Cons

- Putting the stand together to make the TV stand upright and level is really difficult. After messing with this for over an hour I had to put some folded pieces of paper under the back of the stand to make it not lean backwards (will be investing in a mount) but I did succeed in making it level from side to side.
- The remote doesn't feel sturdy and the buttons are too hard to press

I won't put this in the cons section because most TVs today are like this, but I am sick of the glossy screens. I wish matte screens would start coming to TVs - they look so much better and the glare is significantly lower.

I highly recommend this TV. The quality of the TV is enough but LG has proven itself to me many times. The last HDTV I had was Samsung and the two before that were Vizios, all of similar quality to this one (32-42", 720-1080p, etc). The Samsung was lacking a couple things that should be considered standard, like an audio out port. Samsung customer service was poor, too. I was pleased with one of the Vizios but the picture quality on the other was very sub par, and I've heard that Vizio isn't consistent with their quality like LG. I currently own an LG computer monitor and love it. I 100% recommend this brand and this particular TV.

Rate and Discover Movies