5.0 out of 5 stars There should be more stars ...
This review is now updated, after having this unit for several months. The reliability story is still yet to be written. Unfortunately, that takes years.

New as of October 7, 2013:

Published 16 months ago by J. Richards

Published 10 months ago by Brandy.A.

5.0 out of 5 stars There should be more stars ..., April 3, 2013
This review is from: LG Electronics 47LA7400 47-Inch Cinema Screen Cinema 3D 1080p 240Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses (2013 Model) (Electronics)

New as of October 7, 2013:

Got another automatic update yesterday. I have not determined what changed. Anyway, since last review I played with the DLNA Receiver fuction. It was there all along, but I didn't understand it. Basically, you can "Play To" any DLNA device from any other. So I played some videos directly to the TV from my PC (MS Windows Media Player DLNA Library), my phone and my tablet. The TV just stops what it is doing and instantly starts rendering the requested material. Just make sure you have a robust connection directly between your media sever and the TV. You can even Play To from Youtube on your phone, or play a playlist. When the media is done, playng, the TV switches back to whatever it was doing beforehand.

News as of August 29, 2013:

- At the current price, $300 less than I paid, this unit has to be the deal of the century. Also see the 55 inch.
- Just TODAY, the firmware was updated (both the TV and the smart remote). AMAZON PRIME IS NOW SUPPORTED!!! Yay, yes it's your birthday. Now, an almost perfect TV is beyond belief. Amazon Prime is playing in HD, output through the optical cable to my a/v receiver and the sound is home theater quality.

Run, do not walk to get Amazon Prime: free shipping and thousands of free videos. Watching Dredd now.

Original review follows.

I don't think there is much point in discussing the well known obvious stuff. This is a top of the line 3D LED Smart TV. So you know what that means. And it is awesome. I can't compare with other brands, but I couldn't imagine better performance. This is the latest technology, stylishly packaged and with a dazzling array of features.

I originally ordered the 2012 version (47LM8600) by accident due to the lack of a clear description that it was not the latest model. That being said, even the 2012 item was stunning in every respect. I was awestruck for the two days that I owned it. But when I missed a couple of expected features, that was when I discovered that did not have the 2013 model.

In the interest of efficiency, I will defer to existing reviews of the 2012 version of this product (47LM8600), and briefly discuss the major differences found in the 2013 model (47LA7400).

Styling: The 2012 model was better IMHO. This model has a clever swivel mechanism (Edited: thanks to R. Neal), but I do not like the ribbed chrome border around the screen. However, it is stronger and easier to handle due to the more rigid frame.

Audio: There is a "subwoofer" of sorts. The 2012 speakers were not bad, but there was very little bass. In this 2013 model, you are reminded of the lower registers, due to a large, slim, rear firing speaker. I hope that in 2014, a subwoofer output is added, and the sound will be vastly improved. Of course, the full range of sound is provided when you are listening through and external a/v system. Update: The subwoofer sounds even better today, now that the speakers have been broken in a bit (adjusted to temperature and humidity of my home.) Perhaps it is really that I have adjusted to the sound without the extra bottom of an external subwoofer. The result is still more balanced and deeper than typical TV built-in speakers.

Remote: Redesigned for more comfort. Improved speech recognition, which is still listed as Beta. Gesture recognition - cool. You can draw "603" on the screen, and the TV will switch the cable box to that channel. Or you can speak "Turn to MSNBC". Amazing.

Skype Camera: Same as 2012. Just confirming that it also works with 2013 model. Awesome picture and audio quality.

HDD Access: Can be plugged into any of the 3 USB slots. Works a treat. I can play recorded HD content, pictures and music perfectly. Seamless access of files whether from external HDD, DLNA or network shares (SMB). The codecs and players on this TV rival the best I have on my fastest PC server, in their ability to render supported content. I can still support more formats on a PC of course (e.g. DVD ISOs, WMA). Update: I have noticed that more formats are supported from a USB HDD than DLNA. For example, over DLNA, a ".tp" file is not recognized (unless renamed .ts), but from a HDD, the .tp file is recognized and plays just fine.

USB: No longer specific designated ports. Any supported device can be plugged anywhere. User manual says even some hubs may work. (Updated: Wi-Fi is built in. No dongle needed on this model, even though the user guide shows a dongle - perhaps this varies by model, but I have confirmed that the 47LA7400 indeed has Wi-Fi built in.)

Video: What can I say. Stunning. There is multi-level set of adjustments for all aspects of the video. Use the defaults or manipulate to your heart's content. I'm not sure whether this is the same or different from 2012.

External Control: Definitely new for 2013 is the ability to control the TV using RS-232 (over USB). Complete specifications are available from the support site, as an appendix to an upgraded User Guide. IP control is not mentioned, but I would expect that it could be provided with a firmware update (as Sony did for the CX7000ES). Update: there is a tablet app for LG remote, so that implies IP controls are available.

Amazon apps: Not (yet) available. I was told that these are more likely to be added to 2013 models than 2012. Amazon Instant Video is needed, and a Kindle app would be gravy. My Amazon mp3's play just fine with DLNA.

That's it for now. Wish me luck. I am thinking about purchasing the extended warranty. I've seen the reviews with all the pros and cons of doing that. My one experience with customer support, via chat, was awesome. The Rep was helpful and well versed on all the details of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome LED picture & sound (both 3D & 2D), NFC, and fun remote with voice recognition made me switch from Samsung, April 24, 2013
Dr. M. A. Dixon "hyper-observant" (last seen singing in her ocean-view garden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
UPDATE: This tv starred on The Celebrity Apprentice April 28, 2013 tv show as the latest and greatest.

When you turn on this tv, the first thing you see is the logo - "LG Life's Good" and that does set the mood. I do think this amazing LG 55LA7400 does make life good.

The television itself is a beautiful piece of art which is lightweight and smooth enough to easily swivel on my wood stand when I desire to do so but you don't need to because of the new technology where every seat is a good seat from every angle.

Picture is very vibrant and crisp; I can not think of any picture I have seen that is more crisp or vibrant. As with all LEDs there is a reflection at times especially in black or when the television set is turned off in a brightly lit room. It would be perfection in a dark theater room but alas mine is in a well-lit living room. The 2D has so much depth to it that sometimes I think it is in 3D. The video quality is simply amazing.

I love that the thin bezel is black making it look like the television screen is just floating in air with no frame at all as it just disappears with the way human eyes perceive.

Audio is robust, full and booming. I think many people who have not invested in a home theater system would be happy with the audio and not need the additional investment unless you like the surround sound like I do and am used to with my 7-1 system. There has definitely been improvements made in audio and video technology that comes with the higher end sets like this model. The audio installed on this LG 55LA7400 is as good as any separately sold 2.1 system I have heard. It is impressive.

No problem with ethernet internet connection or with using the Smart TV apps installed on the TV, I entered my HuluPlus username and password and had access to my account immediately. This LG 55LA7400 does have built-in wifi - no dongle needed. When I watch Steven Colbert on HuluPlus through this SmartTV's app, it strobes with what looks like a low refresh rate but the tv says it has 240Hz so I plug my computer into one of the tv's HDMI inputs and watch the exact same show and now when Steven makes hand gestures or high fives intern Jay, they look good as hdtv digital broadcasts so the problem isn't with this tv's refresh rate.

DLNA connections to pc and smartphone work flawlessly. This LG LA557400 comes also with a cool Tag On feature which is a data transmission technology that can be used on android 4.0+ smartphones with NFC (Near Field Communication). Simply by tapping your smartphone to a Tag On sticker, you can share content between your smartphones and TV. You know in the commercials where you can just touch the two new smartphones to each other to share information? That is NFC and this model comes with that technology! This is news to me of this technology being used with smartphone to tv NFC transfer - whoever thought of that, BRAVO! To connect your smartphone to the TV using Tag On, they must be connected on the same Wi-Fi network or Miracast/Intel's WiDi of the smart TV is set to On. The directions say to not attach the sticker to a metal part of the TV or your smartphone cannot recognize the Tag On sticker. It also says to not crumple or fold the Tag On sticker or it will not be recognized. You can purchase Tag On stickers from LG Electronics Service Centers but my box had one in it. This Tag On feature is super cool and works great with my Galaxy s3.

The magic remote is super cool. It will come on if you shake left-right or touch 1 of 3 designated buttons closest to your thumb. You can control it just by moving it around in your hand and doesn't require the direct pointing at the tv like the old IR infra-red technology. Moving the remote downwards will bring up your app menu which include your input list, settings, internet, search, OnNow, LG Smart Mall, LG Cloud, Game World, Universal Control, User Guide, Smart Share, Channel List, Recent List, LG Smart World, 3D World, K-Pop Zone, Social Center, Videos, Photos, Music SimpLink and Quick Menu. Skype app is on here but camera is not included. If you purchase model LG Electronics 55LA8600 55-Inch Cinema Screen 3D 1080p 240Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV, Built-In Camera and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses you will get the built-in camera which also allows for your control of the tv with finger gestures. Amazon VOD is not on yet but is scheduled to update through firmware to all the LG SmartTVs any day now. You can browse Amazon, shop, and purchase but it won't load videos through the browser, I just get error messages. The voice recognition works as well or better than Siri and Android and this makes web browsing fairly easy but a keyboard pops up that you can use when needed using the point and click method and arrowing/scrolling around and clicking. For example, I can touch the microphone key and ask "how many liters are in a gallon?" and the tv will take me to the web page search that has the answer to the question. I can also use voice to turn to ShowTime or Channel 63 or I can draw 63 in the air with the remote and it will turn to channel 63. Pretty slick! Although the Smart Remote would not control my Onkyo Home Theater as promised, the LG 55LA7400 is awesome in so many other ways such as voice recognition that I am going to keep it right next to my Harmony One remote, keyboard, and mouse and use all four.

I do not care for 2D to 3D conversion at all as it just looks to fake and gimmicky for me. You know like when you go to the amusement park and enter the FunHouse of Mirrors that are warped in all different ways so that you look even more wierd in every mirror you look in? That is what the 2D to 3D conversion is like IMO. You get a more real-to-life with depth in the 2D and in order to have 3D look good it, the video needs to be produced to be shown in 3D so that someone is fixing all the effects to have the effect that makes since. The 55LA7400's 3D display of box office 3D movies is just as good as in the theater! You can view 3D either from DVD or internet broadcast. I watched Step Up in 3D from the LG store and I highly recommend it as it played flawlessly and definitely showed off the cool factor of this awesome LG LED HDTV. The 2D has so much amazing depth to it that sometimes it looks 3D to me.

I knew one could watch 3D from 3D dvds played in a 3D player but I did not realize that there is so much avaialable online in 3D as well. From the SmartTv, for $5.99, I could stream in 3D any of the following: Wreck-It Ralph, Monsters, Brave, Step Up, Up, Alice in Wonderland, G-Force, Finding Nemo, Frankinweenie, Bolt, Hana Montana, Mars Needs Moms, Tron, Tangled, and many more. I have a 20MBps download feed and everything streamed in beautiful 3D flawlessly. LG 55LA7400 reminds you to put on your 3D glasses! The glasses are lightweight and comfortable by the way. Included with this television were 4 pair of 3D glasses in one box.

There was a new TV Firmware update available. You can set the TV to update automatically if you want which I did. It took approximately 5 minutes for my 20MBps to update the installed 03.07.20 to 03.20.25. This firmware has 7 display settings: Vivid, standard, eco, cinema, game, expert1 and expert2. Some of my friends like to change settings depending upon whatever they watch. I like to optimize for the location where it is at and then write down the settings on the back of my manual just in case it ever loses the settings I can reset it to my preferences for my location without having to re-figure it out. I think it is worth the extra $200 to have high-end tvs like this calibrated for the location you place them. While the pre-sets will probably get them 80-90% perfect, that last percentage that a computerized calibration service can do for you can pop out lines on a lizard you did not realize were there and such.

Although previous televisions came from Amazon to me through UPS sometimes making it here undamaged other times not, this television was delivered and set up by CEVA who does contract television delivery work for not only Amazon but also our large local big box electronics stores here in this large city. CEVA and similar companies are definitely the way to go over UPS so you can get white glove treatment and have them take back the tv if it was damaged in transit as they help you unbox it and set it up which really is a 2-person task with a 55" television.

Important tip: save the box. If you move, the first thing the moving company will ask is "do you have the box it came in? if not, that will be an additional $80!"

The LG 55LA7400 is a beautiful piece of art HDTV with gorgeous crisp vibrant picture showing amazing depth and full booming audio and the most fun remote ever. I can not recommend it enough. You will be so delighted. Also, another thing I really love about the tv is the logo. I really like being reminded whenever I turn the tv on - LG Life's Good. Best logo and tv ever!

UPDATE: I included the computerized calibration settings in the comments on this review below.

2.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL DESIGN... A LOT OF FLAWS. DISAPPOINTED. I bought a few TV's & have included those comparisons in this review., September 10, 2013
Brandy.A. (Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
I was in the market for 2 TV's with 3D and apps. One for the living room the other the bedroom. I'm a tech geek and I know what to look for. I also do a lot of homework by reading forums, reviews, etc on any type of electronic before I make a purchase. In a word, I'm picky. You need to be picky, after all, it's your money and these things are not cheap. After reading many reviews and forums, and going on prior experience with my older LG, I made the choice to buy the 55LA7400. Not only would I save a little money, but I would also get a nice TV with all the bells and whistles, or so I thought. I also made the choice to buy the 47" inch version of this TV for the bedroom as well. Both arrived quickly from Amazon. Packaging Great. Set up, fairly easy. TV -beautiful. Here is where the joy quickly faded.

Plugged the LG 55" TV in, powered on. Immediately noticed 2 red stuck pixels on the screen and some clouding in upper right and lower left sides of the TV. There was also a little clouding mid-screen. Very distracting to say the least. Once past setup, I noticed some banding on picture. Unacceptable! It became very obvious rather quickly that LG's quality control department failed with this TV. I had read about the lighting issues and uniformity issues on the forums, but it was pretty much hit or miss with some people. Not every TV is perfect because some flaws are considered "acceptable" from the manufacture. But this, this was ridiculously bad. I immediately scheduled a return with Amazon. Next, came the 47" inch set up. As soon as it powered on, the lower left corner of the TV had an estimated 100+ of black and white pixels going jagged and horizontal across the screen. Another failure of LG's quality control. The packaging was perfect, no damage. It certainly was not Amazon nor the shipper's fault. Again, another return.

Frustrated and thinking I just had bad luck, I went to BestBuy. Looked at the floor model. It appeared to have some clouding though minimal. I went ahead and made a purchase anyway of an unopened box 55LA7400. Got it home, set it up, powered on. Again, 4 red stuck pixels on the screen, and some pinkish hue to only the right side of the screen. Commence to banging my head on the wall in frustration. TV returned. Before returning, I did play around with the TV. Calibration is somewhat ok out of box. True Calibration not the easiest. Their calibration tool will make it easier but still feels a little off in colors. Picture was smooth, although I noticed some pixelation around the mouths of actors on TV. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of this. Colors tend to push to much yellow almost to the point of making some things appear greenish. Watched MasterChef and the eggs on the show, the yolks appeared nearly green not yellow. I tried many calibrations from CNET and AVS, none worked to correct issue. Apps are not as snappy to load as other TV's though the interface is nice and responsive. Remote is point and click which is a nice feature but will require a little patience for those not used to this sort of thing. The magic remote is small, and comfortable in hand. LG's app store is lacking in my opinion. Many of their apps will cost you $. This is not the case with Samsung which nearly all are free and there is no shortage in apps (see the last part of this review). The LG does have the Amazon App now. Lag is noticeable especially with gaming. Gaming is horrible on this model and not recommended with you play any FPS games. My husband couldn't stand it. Vizio did great in the gaming category and the Samsung surpassed both with gaming. Sound quality of the LG was great. This is the one thing I can give compliments to LG for. Impressive sound.

The LG processor lacks the power it needs especially when watching movies from VUDU in 3D. You will have constant buffering. LG also lacks enough memory in my opinion leading to even more issues with buffering. I contacted VUDU and they are saying it's a compatibility issue with the HDX 3D and this LG model. Normal 720p HD 3D through Vudu will play just fine with no buffering or minimal buffering. I have a 50mbps connection, so this was not the issue. If you get this TV, test a free demo of a 3D movie such as TRON or Tangled through VUDU in HDX and you see what I am talking about. Vizio could play these with no issues and the Samsung even better with ZERO buffering.

Bought a Vizio 60 M601D TV to save money and based on reviews, seemed to be a good TV although lacking in Apps. TV, nice, slim but not nearly as thin as most. Heavier for sure. Apps are widget based, not pleasing to the eye and Amazon Instant is a huge failure on the Vizio. 3D was great. Overall picture on par with LG, with a tad bit more graininess although not to noticeable. No power buttons on back. TV froze and locked up when accessing YouTube or Yahoo. Only solution was to unplug from wall because when it froze remote became unresponsive. TV returned. Vizio admitted they were aware of issue.

In the end I spent more, and got a Samsung 60" UN60F8000. My first Samsung ever, btw and I have been in total awe ever since. Perfect packaging, it felt like Christmas. Perfect screen, flawless stunning picture. So real it's unbelivable. No pixelation issues. Beautiful design, even prettier than LG and thinner! Extremely light weight too, yet solid. The stand is solid metal! The TV looks as if it is floating in mid air. One reviewer from CNET stated they felt Samsung was giving away the ultra 4K in this model. I have to agree. I have never seen anything so perfect in a TV. Apps are great, setup easy. Tons of content for families. Educational apps for kids. Fitness apps, you name it. Nearly all Apps are free. Pandora, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, VUDU, YouTube, Crackle, Web Browser, tons of 3D content -the most I have seen on any TV. Interface simple, clean, beautiful. Fast and Snappy. No issues here. 3D awesome! Gaming, nearly no lag unlike the LG which was horrible! Upscaling and 2D-3D conversion is much better than LG. Out of box configuration excellent. Minor if any calibration needed. Picture just stunning. I am a very happy Lady now. My husband is happy that I'm happy...finally! I was so happy I got the 46" Samsung UN46F7100 and again, a PERFECT TV. Props to Samsung and their quality control. You can read more of my review on my purchase of the Samsung UN60F8000 here at Amazon dated Sept. 10, 2013.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a great 3D tv with the perfect balance of quality, picture, and apps. Go with the Samsung. Yes you will pay more, but you can actually see where your investment is. If you want to save a little money, the LG is a good choice if you can get past some of the issues and if you get lucky enough to get a good tv. As stated, my previous TV was an LG and I was quite happy with it for several years. I just personally feel quality control is severely lacking now with LG. Buying a TV shouldn't feel like you are playing the lottery to get a winner. It's your money, you deserve a good TV with out issues or having to go through 4+ TV's just get a good one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, May 7, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using this TV for a week now and I have to say, it's stunning! I also own the 2012 version of this TV (LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses) and was expecting minor improvements at best over that model. Not to mention I LOVE that TV so it was hard for me to imagine how much better it could get. So I was pleasantly surprised at the enhancements in this model - namely the quality of the picture, the sound, and the improvements to the smart aspects of the TV. While it's too soon to tell on lifespan, my 2012 LG TV has continued to perform well over time so I'm confident this TV will do the same.

Before you read the rest of the review it's important to note that while I did do a fair amount of research before buying my first LG TV I'm by no means a TV expert so this review comes from the perspective of someone who appreciates a high quality TV viewing experience, but doesn't understand every technical in and out. Consider me your slightly savvy average consumer. Warning, this review is a tad long since there are so many aspects of owning a TV. Accordingly, I organized my points into buckets so that hopefully it is easier to skip to the parts that interest you if necessary.

Set up:

My TV came with white glove delivery standard so it made set up a breeze. Mine came through Ceva Logistics and they carried the TV up to my condo (a huge plus since I live in a 3rd floor walk up), removed it from the box, and set up the stand for me. They also turn the TV on while they are there allowing you to check for any damage before they leave. If you've ever been worried you're more at risk for receiving a damaged TV by ordering online this offers huge piece of mind. (Though I now have 3 LG TVs all from Amazon and have yet to receive one that was damaged or defective.)

As for the TV itself, there are just a few set up screens and then you are in business, though some individual apps also have their own short set up to validate your accounts (i.e. Facebook). You will also though likely want to calibrate the picture and sound before watching. I personally liked the results far better when I did this vs. when I used the TV with the preset settings. Even if you are a relative neophyte like I am, there are a lot of great resources online that can help you do this. Also, there is thankfully nothing you can do that can't be undone so if you create a setting you don't like it is easy enough to change it. I also found connecting it to wifi to be very easy. It found my network right away and accepted my password.

Picture quality:

Once the TV was properly calibrated I was quite satisfied with the viewing quality I have with this TV. I thought the detail, vibrancy of the colors, and depth of the black with this TV were great when watching cable television, movies (DVD and Bluray), and playing video games on the PS3. I also paid close attention (closer than normal) when watching for flashlighting and bleeding. I noticed some flashlighting when the TV was first booting up, but nothing was detectable during actual viewing.

I also think the TruMotion 240Hz does a great job of managing motion blur and judder. It's on par with my 2012, though I had no complaints with that TV to begin with. At least from my experience it seems like you're always going to get a little bit of both with LED-LCD TVs but this TV seemed to handle both well, even when I was watching for both with a more scrutinizing eye than normal for the purpose of writing this review. It also handles both better than the LG Electronics 42LA6200 42-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses, though the differences were more subtle than I might have expected.

I also thought that the TV did a good job when viewing it from side angles. I did find that the contrast was a little less pronounced then, but still the viewing quality was pretty good. The option of energy saving features is also nice though I personally like a brighter TV experience so I generally opt not to use them. Also, from everything I've read and my own viewing experience this TV doesn't seem to have a matte screen. However, I've found that while I do see slight reflections from the can lights in my ceiling when the TV is off or on the start up screen, I don't notice any reflection when I'm actually watching it.

Sound:

Typically I watch TV with a home theater system so I'm not reliant on the sound quality of the TV. However the built in 2.1 speakers work noticeably better than both the LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses and LG Electronics 42LA6200 42-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses and I like that there are different settings for the sound. It definitely has a much fuller sound than these other 2 LG models. I found it sufficient for TV and web video viewing and most movie viewing. Though because I already own a home speaker system my preference will still be to use that, especially when watching movies with a lot of sound effects.

The only thing I haven't found is a solution for shows with laugh tracks in the background. Thankfully these are few and far between but when I watch them, the laugh track sometimes sounds a little louder than what I'm used to. I've been playing around with the various sound settings and I haven't found a solution so if anyone has it please leave it for me in the comments section of the review. I would very much appreciate that.

Functionality:

One of my favorite things about the TV, beyond the picture quality is how easy it is to access a range of content. I love being able easily use YouTube, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Pandora, Picasa, and Facebook. I think it is possible that I could drop my cable subscription and still be quite pleased with how much I'm able to use this TV. At least at the time of writing this review, Spotify and Amazon Instant Video are absent. However, Amazon Instant Video was recently added to my 2012 TV so it seems realistic it will be added here soon as well.

I also have been pleased with the experience of using these services within the TV. `On Now,' which is new in 2013 has become a huge favorite of mine. Basically it learns from your viewing habits and offers recommendations from live TV and video on-demand services that you can click to right off the Smart TV screen. So far it's recommended some programs I wouldn't have otherwise known were on and is a much more visual and engaging way to browse my cable channels than the cable guide interface.

Among the bunch the only interface I've found that I haven't liked is Facebook. (It's a very dumbed down version of the Facebook experience and I dislike that when I look at my wall it omits links and pictures from people's posts, which makes for an unsatisfying experience.) Everything else has been easy to use. I especially like that YouTube works with my phone (as long as you are using both on the same wifi network) so I can use my phone to control what plays on my TV, including finding videos. I've been especially pleased with the speed and quality. When I'm watching YouTube videos, for example, they load quickly and I don't have any problems with buffering. I do find with all these programs I spend much more time on my butt in front of the TV than I did pre-Smart TV. Thanks to the addition of a dual core processor, I also find that web browsing is faster than it is with my 2012 TV, though it is still slower than with my MacBook.

Remote:

The Magic Remote comes standard with this TV. I was already sold on the Magic Remote technology based on the 2012 version. If you've ever used a Wii, it is incredibly intuitive to use and makes navigating complex menus and screens a breeze. I love that with this 2013 TV they've added the ability to use it to control my cable box and voice control. I didn't think I'd use the latter but it's actually been a great way to find cable channels quickly when I'm not sure what number they are. Saying `Find HGTV' is turning out to be pretty handy and I actually find the voice recognition to be more accurate than Siri on my iPhone, at least so far. (Though in fairness, all my commands/requests with this TV are pretty simple and often just a couple words.)

Aesthetics:

I love that like my 47LM7600, this TV offers LG's Cinema Screen design, which makes the TV virtually frameless. This was one of the things I LOVED about my 47LM7600 because it makes the TV fit in nicely in a well-decorated living room. It also gives this TV an edge over the LG Electronics 42LA6200 42-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses , which instead has a beveled edge so it is a little less sleek and modern looking, but nonetheless still looks pretty nice. The Cinema Screen does come with a higher price tag so I think you have to decide for yourself it if is worth the extra expense.

I will also say I was initially skeptical of the chrome bar on the bottom of the TV because I thought it might draw attention away from the TV picture itself, but it's much less bright and reflective than it looks in the pictures here. I find that it isn't distracting and actually looks thinner and less obtrusive than the similar bar on the bottom of my 47LM7600.

Overall, I love, love, love this TV. It reminds me a lot of how I felt when I went from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. The 2012 version of this TV was already pretty great and I was quite satisfied and the new additions and enhancements take my viewing experience over the top. The only downside I can see is I spend noticeably more time in front of the TV!

4.0 out of 5 stars Advertisements, November 23, 2013
Great TV so far. Great picture, bad sound of course, and nice 3d. The only problem with this tv are the advertisements on the HOME page. If connected to the internet you can log onto your router and block these ports to rid yourself of the problem. If the advertisements weren't there this would be a 5.

ad.lgappstv.com
yumenetworks.com
smartclip.net
smartclip.com
smartshare.lgtvsdp.com
ibis.lgappstv.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Really GREAT HDTV, December 23, 2013
S. Johnson (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
The 60LA7400 is a super great TV. Easy to set-up. It connected to my WI-FI network in a flash. On the SmartTV functions on the 'inputs' selector, it shows all my PC's and I can easily play movies, display pictures, etc. on the TV. The resolution is excellent. I played an Amazon Instant movie in my cloud and the resolution was also excellent in great Hi-Def and it never skipped a beat streaming the movie and never buffered once. Very happy with this. The movie also was excellent doing the 2D to 3D conversion and added to the enjoyment of the movie. The 3NET real 3D shows and movies from DirecTV are awesome. Looks like some of the content actually floats out into the room. I HIGHLY rate and recommend this TV, even to video-files such as myself. The one thing to consider however, if you do not have a 3D audio/video receiver, you will not get real 3D to pass through if all connected through the receiver, BUT, if you connect your HDMI cable from your cable box or sat box directly to the TV, then run the optical or digital coax from the back of the cable or sat box to your optical or digital coax inputs on the back of your receiver, then you will get full real 3D from your TV and super great surround sound. Just something to consider. You do NOT hve to replace your older HDMI (non 3D) receiver if you connect the TV in this way. ENJOY !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, May 29, 2013
EMTP EJ "EJ" (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a fantastic TV.

It has three HDMI and one component input and we have it attached to:
XBox360
Blu-ray player
Comcast HD box, which the tv identifies so that its own remote can control the cable box. This was by far the easiest pairing of a remote with any device I have ever experienced. The remote is more like a wireless mouse and less like a typical remote that has lots of buttons.
Wii on the component input.
Ethernet to our wired / wireless router since it is in very close proximity to the LG and you are not supposed to use the TV's wifi if your router is very close. One good thing about attaching the TV to the internet is that you can get firmware updates whenever needed.
NFC - tag on - works with Android OS.
It also has Intel WiDi or wireless display - I have a laptop at is supposed to have that feature, but I have not been able to get it to work.

Audio: it has an extra Bass speaker and it really adds an extra dimension to the experience.

Impression: If you can recall getting a HDTV for the first time and hooking it to a DVD player and being amazed, and then being even more amazed by the quality of detail when you played a blu-ray disc on a bluray player over an HDMI connection? Be prepared to be amazed again when you get this 2D / 3D HDTV set! It is a whole order of magnitude more impressive when watching any type of program, especially a blu-ray

The 2D to 3D conversion is pretty impressive, especially with the Xbox 360, according to my teenaged son. It comes with four pairs of non-powered 3D glasses.

Since it connects to the internet, you can get content directly instead of having to use a separate device (like a blu-ray or Xbox) for services like Netflix. You can also browse the web, but it is probably better to use it for videos or video-based content, including some games (that you have to pay for). If you have one of these TVs and a blu-ray (and the current Xbox 360) I don't see how getting one of the new Xbox models is really going to be essential.

This TV also can be set to know where you are and can help you choose content you like, based on what you have watched before.

Our other HDTV is a 47 inch Vizio with 4 HDMI, one Component and one RGB / computer input.

The set was delivered by Ceva and the box was not as big and did not seem as heavy as I expected. The packing material is Styrofoam, but they ship these things all over the world, and I don't think the packaging was excessive. I did not have them set it up, so my son and I did it and it was quite straightforward.
This TV is also very nice looking, even when not turned on. Because of the way our living room is set up, having a wide viewing angle is pretty important and this TV does not disappoint! Clear and sharp from every angle. We have noticed details in some HD movies that we could not even see on our older HDTV!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful set. Pretty pricey but you pay for quality, April 2, 2013
I'm absolutely in love with this tv set.
It has an extremely thin bezel which give more that at the cinema feeling.
Comes along with the magic remote which seems to work much more fluently than last years model. In addition to the remote, you can control the tv with the sound of your voice. Comes in handy when you cant find the remote that fell in between the cushion of your sofa.

Great picture. Love how natural the colors look( after personal calibration). Seems to work flawlessly with my Xbox and PS3. I am yet to see any motion blur while playing Modern Warfare 3 or NBA 2k13.

I'd highly recommend this tv to anyone who is looking to buy a quality set that provides a good at home cinematic feeling. If you can afford it id recommend buying this sets big brother LA8600. Which comes equipped with a built camera, that allows you to use skype and/or control the tv through finger gestures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive in every way, January 3, 2014
Chose this TV over the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ZT60 60-Inch 600 Hz 1080p 3D Smart Plasma TV which is ranked more highly than this TV by Amazon customers unlike the Panasonic which requires the specialized battery powered glasses and can add significantly to the cost of the TV once everyone in the family is outfitted. This TV has cinema 3D which uses the same glasses you get at the movie theatre for a 3D movie. You can pick up a family pack on Amazon for $20 for 6 pairs compared to $30-$50 for the battery powered ones used by Panasonic and others.

Given some negative reviews, the first tests I ran were pixel tests to determine whether the screen had any imperfections. I discovered none.

The set up was easy in terms of mounting the TV on its stand. Once the antena was connected to the back of the TV it quickly discovered the channels available. It was easy to hook up the DVD and other peripherals. Noticed some imperfections in the default settings on the TV. Searching the internet I discovered I needed to use the Picture Wizard that helps calibrate the viewing settings for your particular watching environment.

Overall it was a great buying experience. Amazon, the delivery company, the set up. Would recommend strongly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Calibration required for best viewing, December 28, 2013
I have been using this TV now for 3 or 4 months now and decided to write a review
The picture quality of this TV is stunning and beautiful, although it took me some time to calibrate the TV to my liking( which I highly suggest) the TV started out super bright but once calibrated It outputs great blacks and the color reproduction is amazing. Better than most Samsungs that I compared it too.

There is no noticeable light bleed on the set that I received not unless I am about to turn off my PS3 and the entire scene is black with a yes or no in the middle of the screen.

I mainly use the TV to play games and movies on. I highly recommend the game mode on this TV to play games on it reduces the lag from 120 ms to just 30 ms I don't think I would have kept this TV if not for game mode. All the updates to the TV help a lot although most are simple software bug issues and interface improvements

The 3D on this TV is far better than I had imagined it would be I played The Hobbit, Life of Pi, and Prometheus, so far and aside from some fast motion blurring in 3D where as in 2D mode there is none.

Overall it is a huge improvement from my older 2009 Samsung 40 inch.

Rate and Discover Movies