4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Review
Pros:

120Hz (This can be a con as well, see below) - There is a review stating this is not a 120Hz panel, it is.
IPS Pannel - This is the type of LCD it is and IPS delivers better, truer color.
Excellent viewing angel - Someone stated it has a poor viewing angle. I don't know what that person was looking at but this is not true for this LCD...
Published 10 months ago by J. Berry

3.0 out of 5 stars Spent few more dollars on LN5700. You will not regret it.
This TV would be a solid value if there were no LN5700:

(1) IPS screen, which provides great color saturation and viewing angles (but sacrifices some black level).

(2) Direct-lit screen, which eliminates backlight bleeds that are a common problem for edge-lit TVs.

But given that the LN5700 is only 4-5% more expensive, the 5400 is a poor...
Published 15 months ago by Meng Qi

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Review, September 14, 2013
Pros:

Inexpensive - This is a very good bang for the buck TV.
Great for bright room. There is a review that states this is TV is poor in bright rooms.
Great for gaming - There is a review stating this panel is poor for gaming. Actually this TV has very low latency and as such there is little lag in the TV responding to movement in games.

Cons:

120Hz can't be turned off. This can make movies seem too real, what is known as the soap opera effect. It bothers most people and with most 120Hz TVs this can be turned off. With this TV it can not. LG could release a firmware that has the option to turn this off, but don't bet on it. This effect is not negative in most TV shows (except dramas), sports and games.
Poor for dark rooms. I think this is due to the 120Hz and strong contrast. Again I think this is just for things that are affected by the soap opera effect. It becomes worse in the dark.

Neutral:

Only 2 HDMI ports - If you need more than 2 you may want to think about getting yourself a receiver or Home Theater in a Box
Sound - If you need better sound you may want to think about getting a receiver or Home Theater in a Box
Not a Smart TV - If this is important to you look elsewhere.

Overall most will be happy with this TV. If you are sensitive to the soap opera effect then look elsewhere.

Soap opera effect: [...]
Professional Review: [...]
Another good review: [...]
Optimal Settings: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest review (from a gamer perspective), November 11, 2013
LG Electronics 42LN5400 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV

Design - Plastic stand and cabinet material. Nothing special compared to most models but does the job. The thin bezels helps the look of the TV.

Sound - TV provides plenty of volume and the software features help overall sound quality. On the downside, it sounds like mono rather than stereo. I recommend getting a sound system for it.

Backlighting - The direct LED backlighting makes this TV very bright and looks pretty good in well lit rooms. However, the deep blacks are not dark enough for low lit rooms. Also, the backlight is slightly uneven but but that's normal for LED TV's. If this is a concern, I recommend buying a plasma display.

Viewing angles - It has wide viewing angles. After 40 degrees, picture gets dimmer. That's pretty good for a LED TV.

Refresh rate - This is a tough one. Despite what other reviewers said, this TV is 120hz. However, the motion interpolation (TruMotion) is set to low at the factory and the menu will not give you an option to turn it off or make the settings go higher. This is a good thing because it minimizes the "soap opera effect" when watching film base movies and drama shows. There's still some motion blurring on content that run below 30FPS but any video or games running 48FPS or faster look really good.

Connections - 2 HDMI 1.4 inputs will get you by. The 1 USB port is a plus but it's only good for photos and music, not video or software updates. Good internal digital antenna too.

Input lag - This TV is one of the best TV's for gaming due to its low input lag. I read somewhere that it measures at 8.3 ms. That is pretty quick even compared to higher-end models.

Extra features - The TV is pretty basic. Not a Smart TV so don't expect more than basic video and audio controls. Not a 3D TV too.

In conclusion, the 42ln5400 model is a very good buy for $430 or less (as of November 2013). I highly recommend it if you are on a budget looking for a 42 inch LED. As a gamer, this TV is perfectly priced and well suited for the new PS4 and XBOX1 consoles. I would give it 5 stars if LG gave the option to control the TruMotion settings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Spent few more dollars on LN5700. You will not regret it., April 18, 2013
This TV would be a solid value if there were no LN5700:

But given that the LN5700 is only 4-5% more expensive, the 5400 is a poor value. I returned my 50LN5400 and bought a 55LN5700, and could not be happier:

(1) LN5700 has no uneven backlighting. LN5400 has slightly uneven backlights. On an all-white screen, you can see dark patches.

(2) LN5700 has a much faster processor; LG says the CPU is 120% faster and the GPU is 300% faster. 5400 has an old processor from 2011-2012. Picture quality seems better on 5700. My TV is hooked up to my HTPC. 5400 had difficulties rendering the sharpness of texts. Texts either looked too edgy or too blurry. But they look fantastic on 5700. 5400 has a very different menu. I think it must have an old operating system, because the new OS probably cannot run on an old processor.

(3) LN5700 has wifi and can update firmware, LN5400 cannot. In some cases, updated firmware brings massive performance increases. I had a Panasonic DT50 before. The colors were off a lot, but after a firmware update the colors looked great.

I suspect that 5400 is a 2012/2011 model rebadged as a 2013 model. Given the tiny price difference between 5400 and 5700, there is absolutely no reason to buy a 5400, but I highly, highly recommend 5700.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a high-quality display with no frills, November 24, 2013
This review is from: LG Electronics 47LN5400 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED TV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
First, my use case, which may not match everyone:

1. I wanted a quality display. This meant 1080p and direct LED backlighting, not edgelit.

2. Ideally I needed low latency, as this TV will primarily be used for gaming. In particular, Forza Motorsport, a game in which I already know input lag causes problems for me - I recently tried to play using a wireless controller after having used a wired one for years, and that caused me to drive like someone who'd never played before. So this quality in particular was critical. Needed a game mode or some way to disable image processing.

3. I couldn't care less about smart TV features. I have several game consoles, a Chromecast, and if needed can hook up a PC easily. I have no need for the TV itself to do anything other than be a display. I don't even really need speakers, as everything goes through the surround receiver.

4. Again due to the receiver, I don't have any need for lots of inputs. One HDMI port is enough.

So, how did it stack up?

1. Excellent. Now that everything's calibrated, I can honestly say this is the best looking display that I personally have ever used. The difference in contrast between this and an edgelit LED display is surprisingly noticeable.

2. Again, excellent. The first thing I did once the TV was up and running was play some Forza Motorsport 4. With game mode turned on, there is no discernable difference between playing on this vs. my PC monitor (which is a good reference because it does no image processing whatsoever).

3. None of that Smart TV crap here. You might be wondering why not having features is a good thing, regardless of whether I use them. Answer: price. I have no doubt this lack of features is the reason a display this good costs so little.

4. Again, it fits my needs. 2 HDMI inputs, one componenet, and one composite. Not outstanding by most standards, but again I don't need more than that. So, if LG wants to save costs in this way it's ok by me.

In short, I needed a dumb display. Just a panel to show a picture on, but a high-quality picture. It's perfect for that scenario.

Other thoughts:

This set has the best remote of any TV I've used. If, like me, you're a semi-enthusiast who changes picture modes for different source material and rages when the aspect ratio is wrong, you'll like it too. There are direct hotkeys for changing inputs, aspect ratio, picture mode, etc. No digging through the menus is required for those items, which is a joy.

On that same note, the user interface in general is very intuitive and easy to navigate.

No dead pixels for me. I'm not saying it can't happen, just mentioning my particular experience in hopes that a prospective buyer can get an accurate picture of how often it happens.

I hadn't noticed it in the pictures before buying, but the bezel is really very thin. It was kind of funny to compare it side-by-side with the old set, a 40-inch 720p/1080i Samsung (which was very good in its day). The overall dimensions of the frame on both sets is nearly identical, yet the screen on this one is nearly 7 inches bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely satisfied. Great choice for sure., April 12, 2014
I did extensive research, and this was the best option for the price, quality and the overall buyers comfort has all been there so far. Good picture, try to avoid putting it in front of sunlight (obviously?) because its non-matte but i prefer its screen gloss anyways for sure, No doubt about it. Not one shred of buyers remorse with this one. No lag and i mean incredible for live tv, hd sports but extra stunning for gaming or blu-ray, dvds, movies etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars good viewing, January 14, 2014
Finally gone to HD , and was a great move. Bigger screen and great picture. Yes I would recommend this to others. Also a great price. Had to get rid of my big enterainment center :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LED, Great Picture & Quality, January 4, 2014
I'm extremely happy with our purchase of the LG LN5400. Great picture, excellent sound and looks great in our game room. We're mostly using this TV for gaming and couldn't be happier. I had numerous concerns about buying a TV online and was very happy with the way our purchase was shipped. The outer box was a heavy cardboard and they wrapped the TV box in bubble wrap on all sides. Must have been 4+ inches on each side. Absolutely perfect! Great value, great experience, excellent TV. Will always consider LG first when buying my next flat screen. And will look to Amazon for fulfilling the order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, annoyed by the gloss, May 29, 2014
tedcook (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this TV as an upgrade to our 32" LG (32LD550). I was very happy with our old LG, but I was ready for a bigger size and wanted the cost savings of LED back-lighting.

The most important thing to me in choosing an LG TV is the IPS panel. When I was shopping for our old TV I initially got an LG without the IPS (panel lottery). It looked great from straight on, but I could literally see the image quality change as I shifted my position on the couch. It was very disappointing and drove me nuts. I returned that TV to the online seller and went to the local big box outlet so I could hand choose a model with the IPS panel (as indicated by codes in the extended product number). So for purchasing this new TV I went straight to the big box store and hand picked an IPS panel version of the 42LN5400 (they had both IPS and non-IPS there). I love shopping off Amazon, but the panel lottery nonsense just isn't worth the risk of buying online.

This 42LN5400 is great for my needs. I run it as a monitor for my HTPC. Sound goes through a stereo receiver so I don't have anything to say about the built in sound. The size is perfect for my living room (it fit in my entertainment center with just millimeters to spare) and the viewing angles and color representation are superb.

But that brings me to my one disappointment. This TV has glossy finish on the screen. It seems all TV's these days have a glossy finish, and it is completely baffling to me as it does nothing but degrade the image quality. When the image is black, the TV turns into a (very dim) mirror. Instead of seeing nothing (black), I see reflections of myself, or the window behind me. Under certain lighting conditions the effect is diminished, but sometimes it is quite distracting. In the worst case, at a certain angle the reflection of the kitchen light on the TV glass created a rainbow diffraction all over the image. Our old LG had a nice matte finish to the screen and reflections were never an issue. As I said, I am completely baffled why manufacturers do this.

Despite the glossy finish, I am happy with the TV. The benefits of the IPS panel make this the best TV for me, and the reflection issue is manageable with lighting.

5.0 out of 5 stars great all-around TV for a relatively cheap price, February 19, 2014
Great size, great picture, standard sound is good. It works very well in both lighted and dark places and can be customized at wish. The only possible downside is the number of ports (2 HDMIs, 1 USB), which is pretty okay, but not spectacular. Consider buying this TV for a great all-around.

4.0 out of 5 stars LG 47LN5400 TV, February 1, 2014
We've only had the TV a few weeks but, so far are very pleased. We didn't want or need a "smart" TV. One thing we did right away was to adjust the picture settings from factory, which are set to a "retail store setting". The Picture Adjustment Menu feature for this system is good and will allow you to obtain a more natural color temperature and overall appearance to the picture. The speaker sound is disappointing but, we will eventually purchase an aftermarket sound system to remedy that problem. We looked at several TV's and in the end, felt the overall picture quality and price of the LG sets met our standards.

Rate and Discover Movies