4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Review
Pros:

120Hz (This can be a con as well, see below) - There is a review stating this is not a 120Hz panel, it is.
IPS Pannel - This is the type of LCD it is and IPS delivers better, truer color.
Excellent viewing angel - Someone stated it has a poor viewing angle. I don't know what that person was looking at but this is not true for this LCD...
Published 14 months ago by J. Berry

3.0 out of 5 stars Spent few more dollars on LN5700. You will not regret it.
This TV would be a solid value if there were no LN5700:

(1) IPS screen, which provides great color saturation and viewing angles (but sacrifices some black level).

(2) Direct-lit screen, which eliminates backlight bleeds that are a common problem for edge-lit TVs.

But given that the LN5700 is only 4-5% more expensive, the 5400 is a poor...
Published 19 months ago by Meng Qi

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Review, September 14, 2013
Pros:

Inexpensive - This is a very good bang for the buck TV.
Great for bright room. There is a review that states this is TV is poor in bright rooms.
Great for gaming - There is a review stating this panel is poor for gaming. Actually this TV has very low latency and as such there is little lag in the TV responding to movement in games.

Cons:

120Hz can't be turned off. This can make movies seem too real, what is known as the soap opera effect. It bothers most people and with most 120Hz TVs this can be turned off. With this TV it can not. LG could release a firmware that has the option to turn this off, but don't bet on it. This effect is not negative in most TV shows (except dramas), sports and games.
Poor for dark rooms. I think this is due to the 120Hz and strong contrast. Again I think this is just for things that are affected by the soap opera effect. It becomes worse in the dark.

Neutral:

Only 2 HDMI ports - If you need more than 2 you may want to think about getting yourself a receiver or Home Theater in a Box
Sound - If you need better sound you may want to think about getting a receiver or Home Theater in a Box
Not a Smart TV - If this is important to you look elsewhere.

Overall most will be happy with this TV. If you are sensitive to the soap opera effect then look elsewhere.

Soap opera effect: [...]
Professional Review: [...]
Another good review: [...]
Optimal Settings: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a high-quality display with no frills, November 24, 2013
First, my use case, which may not match everyone:

1. I wanted a quality display. This meant 1080p and direct LED backlighting, not edgelit.

2. Ideally I needed low latency, as this TV will primarily be used for gaming. In particular, Forza Motorsport, a game in which I already know input lag causes problems for me - I recently tried to play using a wireless controller after having used a wired one for years, and that caused me to drive like someone who'd never played before. So this quality in particular was critical. Needed a game mode or some way to disable image processing.

3. I couldn't care less about smart TV features. I have several game consoles, a Chromecast, and if needed can hook up a PC easily. I have no need for the TV itself to do anything other than be a display. I don't even really need speakers, as everything goes through the surround receiver.

4. Again due to the receiver, I don't have any need for lots of inputs. One HDMI port is enough.

So, how did it stack up?

1. Excellent. Now that everything's calibrated, I can honestly say this is the best looking display that I personally have ever used. The difference in contrast between this and an edgelit LED display is surprisingly noticeable.

2. Again, excellent. The first thing I did once the TV was up and running was play some Forza Motorsport 4. With game mode turned on, there is no discernable difference between playing on this vs. my PC monitor (which is a good reference because it does no image processing whatsoever).

3. None of that Smart TV crap here. You might be wondering why not having features is a good thing, regardless of whether I use them. Answer: price. I have no doubt this lack of features is the reason a display this good costs so little.

4. Again, it fits my needs. 2 HDMI inputs, one componenet, and one composite. Not outstanding by most standards, but again I don't need more than that. So, if LG wants to save costs in this way it's ok by me.

In short, I needed a dumb display. Just a panel to show a picture on, but a high-quality picture. It's perfect for that scenario.

Other thoughts:

This set has the best remote of any TV I've used. If, like me, you're a semi-enthusiast who changes picture modes for different source material and rages when the aspect ratio is wrong, you'll like it too. There are direct hotkeys for changing inputs, aspect ratio, picture mode, etc. No digging through the menus is required for those items, which is a joy.

On that same note, the user interface in general is very intuitive and easy to navigate.

No dead pixels for me. I'm not saying it can't happen, just mentioning my particular experience in hopes that a prospective buyer can get an accurate picture of how often it happens.

I hadn't noticed it in the pictures before buying, but the bezel is really very thin. It was kind of funny to compare it side-by-side with the old set, a 40-inch 720p/1080i Samsung (which was very good in its day). The overall dimensions of the frame on both sets is nearly identical, yet the screen on this one is nearly 7 inches bigger.

3.0 out of 5 stars Spent few more dollars on LN5700. You will not regret it., April 18, 2013
This review is from: LG Electronics 50LN5400 50-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED TV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
This TV would be a solid value if there were no LN5700:

But given that the LN5700 is only 4-5% more expensive, the 5400 is a poor value. I returned my 50LN5400 and bought a 55LN5700, and could not be happier:

(1) LN5700 has no uneven backlighting. LN5400 has slightly uneven backlights. On an all-white screen, you can see dark patches.

(2) LN5700 has a much faster processor; LG says the CPU is 120% faster and the GPU is 300% faster. 5400 has an old processor from 2011-2012. Picture quality seems better on 5700. My TV is hooked up to my HTPC. 5400 had difficulties rendering the sharpness of texts. Texts either looked too edgy or too blurry. But they look fantastic on 5700. 5400 has a very different menu. I think it must have an old operating system, because the new OS probably cannot run on an old processor.

(3) LN5700 has wifi and can update firmware, LN5400 cannot. In some cases, updated firmware brings massive performance increases. I had a Panasonic DT50 before. The colors were off a lot, but after a firmware update the colors looked great.

I suspect that 5400 is a 2012/2011 model rebadged as a 2013 model. Given the tiny price difference between 5400 and 5700, there is absolutely no reason to buy a 5400, but I highly, highly recommend 5700.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest review (from a gamer perspective), November 11, 2013
LG Electronics 42LN5400 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV

Design - Plastic stand and cabinet material. Nothing special compared to most models but does the job. The thin bezels helps the look of the TV.

Sound - TV provides plenty of volume and the software features help overall sound quality. On the downside, it sounds like mono rather than stereo. I recommend getting a sound system for it.

Backlighting - The direct LED backlighting makes this TV very bright and looks pretty good in well lit rooms. However, the deep blacks are not dark enough for low lit rooms. Also, the backlight is slightly uneven but but that's normal for LED TV's. If this is a concern, I recommend buying a plasma display.

Viewing angles - It has wide viewing angles. After 40 degrees, picture gets dimmer. That's pretty good for a LED TV.

Refresh rate - This is a tough one. Despite what other reviewers said, this TV is 120hz. However, the motion interpolation (TruMotion) is set to low at the factory and the menu will not give you an option to turn it off or make the settings go higher. This is a good thing because it minimizes the "soap opera effect" when watching film base movies and drama shows. There's still some motion blurring on content that run below 30FPS but any video or games running 48FPS or faster look really good.

Connections - 2 HDMI 1.4 inputs will get you by. The 1 USB port is a plus but it's only good for photos and music, not video or software updates. Good internal digital antenna too.

Input lag - This TV is one of the best TV's for gaming due to its low input lag. I read somewhere that it measures at 8.3 ms. That is pretty quick even compared to higher-end models.

Extra features - The TV is pretty basic. Not a Smart TV so don't expect more than basic video and audio controls. Not a 3D TV too.

In conclusion, the 42ln5400 model is a very good buy for $430 or less (as of November 2013). I highly recommend it if you are on a budget looking for a 42 inch LED. As a gamer, this TV is perfectly priced and well suited for the new PS4 and XBOX1 consoles. I would give it 5 stars if LG gave the option to control the TruMotion settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LED, Great Picture & Quality, January 4, 2014
I'm extremely happy with our purchase of the LG LN5400. Great picture, excellent sound and looks great in our game room. We're mostly using this TV for gaming and couldn't be happier. I had numerous concerns about buying a TV online and was very happy with the way our purchase was shipped. The outer box was a heavy cardboard and they wrapped the TV box in bubble wrap on all sides. Must have been 4+ inches on each side. Absolutely perfect! Great value, great experience, excellent TV. Will always consider LG first when buying my next flat screen. And will look to Amazon for fulfilling the order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, But A Few Issues Worth Noting, August 29, 2014
Mixed bag, thus far, but overall I'm happy.

This TV replaced a 240hz. 47 inch Vizio that displayed darkness around it's screen edges. This LG's picture far exceeds the Vizio's, but the old Vizio's sound quality was MUCH better.

ISSUE #1: SOUND QUALITY. Tinny, unacceptable sound. Couldn't adjust to our liking. Our fix was to hook it up to the home theater system (5.1) and turn down the TV speakers.

ISSUE #2: PICTURE ANOMALIES. A few weeks after purchase, the picture just washed out. It looked like the contrast/brightness components in the motherboard just gave up the ghost. We couldn't figure out what had gone wrong. The fix? We kept the unwatchable set on. Slowly, over several hours, without any user input, the pristine picture returned. We haven't experienced any issues since.

The four stars are for the LG's picture quality, and the on screen menus. Would we buy another LG? Yes, and we did, a 42inch model 5300 for the bedroom. BTW, it's sound is far better than the 55 inch I'm rating! Nonetheless, we've got the LG sound bar en route to enhance our viewing experience.

Get this "dumb" TV. Then get a Roku3 to make it "smart." Then buy the Kinivo HDMI switcher If you have more than two components to plug into this TV. It's a setup you'll wonder how you did without.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Good Picture !, October 14, 2014
After having this TV for about a month and a half I can finally say that this is a very good TV for the price. When I first got this Tv I was very disappointed because I was following settings I had found on review sites for the picture. No matter what I did with most of the extra settings turned off on expert1 or 2 mode I could not get enough contrast for my taste. I kept telling my wife I wanted to sell it and she would get mad and say she liked it and we got to good of a deal on it to get rid of it. Finally, one day I just reset the all of the picture settings to factory and went to normal mode. I noticed it looked pretty darn good so I went through it to check out everything. Finally, I ended up setting it on these settings and as much as I hate to admit it the TV looks really good now.

Normal Mode

Backlight 93
Contrast 98
Brightness 48
Color 58
Tint 0
Sharpness 20

Advanced Control (all factory)

Picture Options (all factory)

screen format - Just Scan

Once I did this the picture really looks fantastic. As a matter of fact I do not see any problems with the contrast even in a dark room like I watch it in. To me the blacks look really good and black and the colors look very good also. Another thing is I really do enjoy being able to view the picture from any angle and it still looks good. Sometimes I watch it from the kitchen sink when doing dishes and one of our couches is off to the side also. The picture looks the same for as far of an angle that I would consider a good viewing experience anyway. I have a Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 Monitor and I can definitely tell that the LG TV has an IPS screen from the sharpness and color reproduction on it. I would definitely like to have a bigger more expensive TV like a 65" 4k ? Sure I would because I am used to super high resolution screens now. But I think it is safe to say that this LG TV that I chose over a Vizio is a good 1080p TV and a good buy ! The only reason I can not give it 5 stars is that it is not a top of the line TV and I know that for more money I can get a better picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions, June 20, 2014
Just got this baby yesterday to replace a 37in LG I bought 8-10 years ago that died due to a power surge. I considered buying more TV (i.e. more hook ups, smart features, and even 3D) but concluded this would meet my needs. I am not a gamer and I have a smart blu-ray so no need for redundancy and I can't fathom wanting to watch 3D programming with any regularity. It's a TV for grown ups and the price is RIGHT! (Got the 50 inch for $576)

It arrived in a box the size of a twin mattress (not exaggerating) but was easily unpacked with two people. The hardest part was finding the screws that secure the stand - unpack the bag with the remote carefully! It is a BIG tv so you need some space and someone able bodied to get the stand mounted and assist with moving it (and a phillips screwdriver). It's not that heavy but it is very awkward. Plugged in the HDMI cables for the HD cable box and the Blu-ray and the input from the Wii (for kid visitors) and turned it on. Selected the input and viola! We were in business.

The picture is GORGEOUS and sound is far superior to some other flat TVs I have seen - my den is 30 ft long and the sound fills the room with the volume on 15 out of 50. I liked the "game" sound setting for some reason (there are several presets you can try for the sound and the picture before you have to resort to custom settings which I haven't done). So far I have watch a little golf, a little baseball, and The Good Wife. Also scanned the channels just to see what the news channels looked like. I am REALLY pleased. I am really looking forward to watching the season finale of Fargo on it this weekend!

As far as specifics go - the screen IS glossy which can reflect light from windows or fixtures but I was able to adjust blinds and turn the screen slightly so that it didn't bother me - my last TV was matte finish so it is an adjustment but not a deal breaker - this is the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars. The "blacks" are not very saturated in the gaps between video but they are pretty deep/saturated when watching video/programming. As far as the 120 refresh rate and "soap opera effect" - I don't see it. It's just a stunning picture (once you take care of any reflections). No blurring during action - even pretty close up. Also, since I am new to having a TV this large - my middle aged eyes are thrilled with being able to read the cable guide and movie descriptions from across the room.

So there you go, my first impression is love at first sight. I will update if the honeymoon ends but as of now, I don't see any flaws that I can't make accomodations for. I know where I'll be for the majority of this weekend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely satisfied. Great choice for sure., April 12, 2014
I did extensive research, and this was the best option for the price, quality and the overall buyers comfort has all been there so far. Good picture, try to avoid putting it in front of sunlight (obviously?) because its non-matte but i prefer its screen gloss anyways for sure, No doubt about it. Not one shred of buyers remorse with this one. No lag and i mean incredible for live tv, hd sports but extra stunning for gaming or blu-ray, dvds, movies etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars good color replication, September 16, 2014
Pros: Big tv, good color replication, good price, low amounts of motion blur, GREAT viewing angles.
Cons: Iffy in low light conditions, only two hdmi ports

Had this TV for a month. Picture is great in terms of color and motion, not so good in dark rooms or dark scenes. The viewing angles are fantastic. If you're not expecting a top of the line TV this TV will completely satisfy you.

4/5 Stars for Good color and motion picture, GREAT viewing angles, price-to-size ratio, and poor low light picture. Would recommend to anyone looking for a second or third TV, would recommend to a friend.