4.0 out of 5 stars The Right Size, The Right Smart HDTV!
Firstly, I'd like to start off the review with thanks from Amazon.com for the lightning deal. Practically, this was bought for a steal! If anyone wanted a Smart TV this holiday season, this would have been the right offer for them! Now, onward to the review.

Published 13 months ago by Alexander Tsui

2.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for as long as it worked
I realize there are lemons in every consumer product category, and with all the positive reviews this set has gotten my experience may fall into the unlucky purchaser category, but this TV was not a good purchase for me.

Published 9 months ago by countrymountaintrader

4.0 out of 5 stars The Right Size, The Right Smart HDTV!, November 26, 2013
Alexander Tsui (Manalapan, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Electronics 50LN5600 50-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

I have so much praise, but I have a wee bit of function-related negative comments about this TV. I'll begin with the positives.

Clear, fluid, vivid, and producing rich colour and picture quality with the TruMotion feature always makes a win into my satisfaction! Transforming every little bit of what my Cable provider (Cablevision) pushes into my TV into impressive HD picture quality, I'm glad I made the switch from a 40" HDTV which name isn't as great as its name (and I won't slander the company in any way.)

Yes, there are so many useful apps built in and several more listed in the LG app store. At least it won't be the "same old thing every time." The built-in apps, of which YouTube and the browser I use the most, definitely increase the usefulness of the TV and worth of other services like Amazon's very own Prime Instant Video! (Now it's worth it to be a prime member, eh?)

So there were just three not-so-top things that concerned me, but it doesn't de-value of the product. One of them is simply browser lags and bugs with the cursor. Sometimes, if the latency becomes high enough while scrolling up or down, the pointer might go away until you restart the browser. Keeping in mind about the browser, you might be better off navigating with a USB Keyboard and a USB-Ethernet Extender because, for one, it can be a little annoying to control a Smart TV browser with a remote and you don't want to be so close to the screen to cause eye damage.) Finally, the LG app store doesn't seem like there are going to be a lot of updates coming along in favour for the LG Smart TV powered by Google TV (because, as we all know, the Google Play Store is ever-expanding and LG only makes it bigger.)

So whether you see a lightning deal like this again or if you're just out there for a new Smart HDTV, this one makes the cut and shouldn't disappoint you. Great LG quality, great price... just don't rely on it as your gigantic smartphone and browser!

P.S.: Haven't tested out Skype on it yet. Need to buy the LG-made camera. Only one other downside, but not necessarily a bad one.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent picture, easy setup, November 24, 2013
mervenmar (Atlanta, USA) - See all my reviews
We purchased the 60 inch version of this in a retail store. It is an excellent picture which is comparable to my last TV, a Samsung plasma. The menu options are super easy to navigate, and it *does* work for Amazon prime streaming video. Purchased it in early November and immediately did a wireless firmware update. The wireless receiver must be decent because our DSL modem/router is on another floor. The difference between 5600 and 5700 model is that 5600 60" is compatible with the magic remote but does not come with it; the 5700 does. As far as I can determine from spec sheet and talking to customer support the specs are otherwise the same. You will want to get/use a wireless or USB keyboard for typing in url's and doing searches in the Smart TV functions-- of course you can use the built in on screen keyboard but navigation is slow. Cable setup effortless, same for DVD player. I called support with a question twice and was connected quickly to polite competent people. Overall very happy with this TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Be Happier, January 2, 2014
Adam C Kuykendall (New York City, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I did a great deal of research on various LED-LCD and Plasma TV's by several different brands found at a number of retailers but nothing came remotely close to the deal I landed through Amazon.

On the research side, I used Consumer Reports and CNET as my primary resources, salt-n-peppered with a few other randomly found online sites supplemented by loads of consumer reviews found through Google. The long and short of it comes down to this simple fact, you can spend anywhere between (for a 55" TV) $600* and $1200 and in essence you're not getting anything more for your money. To see any significant and/or noticeable difference in image quality from this price range you have to double what you're spending. But if this is the range you want to keep your spending limited to, you can find a perfect match for your tastes I'm sure.

(*I scored with a Black Friday deal at $750 that ended up doing a Lighting Deal that brought the price down to $600.)

From my research in this price range I found that LG and Samsung ran neck and neck, with Vizio hanging on in the proverbial third place. I was angling toward the Vizio until I went and saw several models displayed at a local retailer. The image just didn't hold up and tended to have very jagged edges along anything that cut across the diagonal of the picture, in addition to a faint pixelated halo around people and moving objects. The Samsungs were great, but in the 55" dimension they tended to be more expensive. The LG models had more variety in their TV offerings and thus lead me to this particular model the LN5600.

The LG models (pardon the expression) rearrange the deck chairs to give the consumer more affordable options. Which translates into; if you're more concerned with refresh rates over applications, or connectivity over ability, etc. then you can probably find the TV that best matches your needs or wants.

I wasn't interested in 3D, and I'm not a fan of "TruMotion" aka 120hz refresh rate, so all I wanted was a 55" TV that looked great without the extras. The LN5600 is so much more than that. The 60hz refresh rate (standard since the first TV, for the most part) looks plenty good to me. The more action that hits the screen the more the 60hz is taxed to its limits and thus the image starts to go ever so slightly muddy. Again, if I were paying almost $1200 and up this would be unacceptable but for $600 it's amazingly good. Even at $750 or $800 this would be a good deal.

I looked at the LN5400 and LN5700 and they were great TV's but they had features I just wasn't interested in, and at $800 and $1000 it would have been wasted money. Especially once I found the LN5600 at $750. I was never able to find a display model to make my final judgment and eventually just had to take a leap of faith, knowing I could still return it if I wasn't happy with it once it arrived. Based on what I saw of the two bookend models I figured the image quality had to be in the same ballpark.

Side note: If you're concerned about sound, there are no TV's out there with phenomenal sound (again in this price range). If sound is your concern, you inevitably already have an external stereo system that takes over for most of your audio needs and this is where you should expect all your TV audio to go through for quality output. The LN5600 does fine, but I'd hate it if it was my only option.

This TV is fine for light or dark rooms. The screen does have a reflective glare but is a soft matte glare that isn't too over bearing. If you've got a light source, like a floor lamp that's in the direct line of vision of the TV, you're probably going to see it in the screen. If it's far enough off to the side, or above the screen you should be fine.

The TV arrived and I've had it now for almost a month and it continues to satisfy. Videos played on Blu-ray look fantastic, and depending on your broadband and server HD videos can come through looking equally wonderful. Some have found the menu options on the SmartTV to be a tad awkward but I've had no problems with them. If anything they work better than my Sony player has.

If you can find this model for $600, you'll be doing great. If you find it for $750, you're still ahead of the game.

Decide what it is that you really need from your TV, and you might find that this model fits the bill. Even if it doesn't, this example should show to you that you shouldn't be spending anymore than you have to get a great TV. $800 at the most is what you should be shelling out. Anything more than that (unless you're getting specific features you really, really want) is wasted money. If you're going to spend big, then go all the way. Just remember though, whatever you're paying $1500 for now will more than likely be $750 to $800 in the next year or two.

I did the research and read the reviews out there, and when I made my choice I was thoroughly satisfied.

And I couldn't be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liking my new 55-inch LG, January 4, 2014
This is a preliminary review. I'm posting now to maybe help out new LG smart TV owners that have had the same trouble as me -- getting the LG Smart World app source to function. I did manage to create an LG Smart World account (the password must have a number or two in it, although that is not explicitly stated). And, I had used my broadband to update the system.

The premium apps like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. are pre-installed. But, upon repeated attempts over 2 days to add the Pandora app from LG Smart World, I kept getting "Server Disconnected" errors. Fortunately, I did find a post on the net to point me in the right direction: You need to manually add a DNS server to the network setup, and it will work. Go into Network settings and, hit Start Connection, and maybe one more button click, select the poorly titled Other Networks. Select the network you are using (I had wifi and wired to choose from), then the button for manual config, and the tab for manual DNS. Put in a working DNS number. You may want to use Google's 8.8.8.8, since it's easy to remember, and reliable. Click out of there, and you're set.

I've had my TV for a couple of days. It's my new living room computer monitor, as well as TV. I'm still getting used to the colors and picture settings, which is mainly what I'm reserving judgement on. This TV replaces a 5 or 6-year old Vizio 42 incher that's being demoted to bedroom use. I have noted that the LG 55 weighs within a pound of the Vizio 42. I have also noted that the LG uses a good bit less energy: 160 watts, vs the Vizio's 280 watts.

I found the smart features to be pretty decent, but, not fully tested in absence of appropriately fast broadband. There's a web browser that's a bit clunky, but does work, for web surfing. And, you can watch TV in a moveable window, while you surf. I've got a wireless USB keyboard w/trackpad that made for pretty good operation.

The remote, menus and overall user experience are all good. Initial setup was as quick as can be expected. The menus and channels change quickly. When you power on, you're watching TV in 7 or 8 seconds.

-----

I've gotten used to all of the settings on my TV. Most jarring to me and most others is the TruMotion setting (under Picture Option for each of the Picture modes). Heh, I thought I was watching a movie that was produced by hacks, when it was the TruMotion causing the "soap opera effect." Fortunately, the TV tuner and each of the HDMI inputs can be set up with different preferences, and it will remember them. For the DVD, I turned TruMotion off. I leave it off for TV, except when watching sports, then I turn it up higher than the default, to help make up for the slowish 60Hz refresh rate. For the PC, TruMotion is disabled by LG. Note that, if you fiddle with the settings for a particular input, and wish to reset them to default, you wind up resetting ALL settings for all inputs. I was getting frustrated by this, but finally figured out what was happening.

One of the things I used most on my old Vizio was the Picture-in-Picture setting, where I could watch TV while using my computer. Since TVs no longer come with PIP capability, I got a Hauppauge USB tuner for my PC, to pick up over-the-air channels. I can watch TV in a window, or full-screen. Now, I only use the TV's tuner when watching sports, because the TV has TruMotion, and other settings that provide a more vibrant picture than my PC's tuner does (due to me having the contrast and brightness muted for longterm computer use).

One thing missing when selecting inputs, is that you can not individually specify where sound will be output for the TV tuner and each of the HDMI inputs. You only have one place to select sound output, which is applied to all. It's fiddly when I had to change this, when going from PC mode (sound out to TV speakers), to DVD (sound out to home theater receiver). I finally realized that I could connect the DVD player directly to the receiver with a digital audio cable, and leave the TV out of the sound loop, for DVD viewing. Now, I just leave the TV's sound output to the TV speakers.

I'd give this TV 4.5 stars, if possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, snappy, low-budget smart TV. Has many of the popular apps, but is overall lacking in that department., November 27, 2013
N (Moon, Space) - See all my reviews
Summary: Good, basic smart TV with generally good picture quality and sufficiently even backlighting.

What it is: 50 inch 1080p 60Hz smart TV by LG.

Pros: Bargain for what you get for $450 (sale price). Netflix works flawlessly. Capability of using "magic remote," which I assume is their fancy name for universal TV remote (e.g. Logitech Harmony). Vibrant color and good viewing angle, as well as pretty even backlighting. 60Hz means you won't have "soap opera effect" on movies. Low input lag for playing games.

Cons: Only 60Hz, so it has some motion blurs in sports and fast action scenes. Magic remote capability was kind of annoying, as it asks you to set it up on initial setup yet the TV set doesn't come with one. Heavy, but I can only assume non-LED and plasma sets would only be heavier. Grab a friend when setting this up. As it's a budget model, LED lights are pretty far apart and it shows (more apparent if viewing from an angle). Slight fade on corner of TV. Doesn't have apps that competing Samsung smart TVs have (no Plex? No Crunchyroll?) and ones that do (Netflix) seems slower. Had to run firmware update twice before using it in earnest.

Other comments: has 3 HDMI ports, contrary to what Amazon says. Use "game mode" when playing games on it. Should be compatible with Roku stick, but haven't checked (I have no Roku stick.) TV became noticeably slower after firmware updates... hmm. Older LG sets had plain white LG logo up front; now the logo is magenta, which looks cheap on a TV. Also note that LG smart TVs may transmit your personal data to their server, although they noted that they'll send an update to address that. Haven't checked for input lag over analog channels (component, composite)

Conclusion: Very good bargain at $450; not so sure for $650. Get this for TV functionality, not smart TV apps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy and Great TV, December 24, 2013
Bought this a month ago (60" SmartTV version) and haven't regretted anything about it. Picture is perfect if the source video is perfect. We were disappointed with what we now know is the TruMotion "feature". So if you fire up the tv right out of the box be warned that you will see this "tv camera" sort of look to the picture until you find the TruMotion setting and turn it off. We decided to leave it on but change this setting to very low.

As with many tv's the speakers in the unit give a mediocre sound. We run sound through an optical cable to a Sony multimedia sound system so this didn't matter to us. Netflix and Amazon Prime work flawlessly. I've had 4 or 5 updates since I bought it (one just yesterday) and everything still works fine. The newer Netflix interface showed up yesterday and looks nice as well as functions good. Once in a while there is audio delay but there is a setting for that so you are not without a solution.

I would buy the same unit again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for as long as it worked, March 7, 2014

After Christmas of 2013 my wife and I decided to move our six year old Sony LCD into the bedroom and look for a new living room television. I bought this unit at Best Buy two days after Christmas. All was well for exactly four weeks. Good picture, smart tv features worked well, no complaints. Then while watching the morning news with my first cup of coffee in hand the tv just cut itself off like someone pushed the power button.

That morning news program was the last thing I ever saw on this tv. When I tried to power it up again it hung on the "LG Life's Good" boot screen. This screen which only stayed on for 3 or 4 seconds would stay up for more than a minute and then there would be no picture. Unplugging power and hdmi cables did nothing. Since I had only had the tv four weeks I called Best Buy hoping they might do a good will exchange even though their return policy cuts return time to 15 days. They did agree to take back the tv on an exchange and I came home with a 60" non-smart Samsung LED.

I rate it two stars because it was a nice unit and worked well, but only for a short time. I hope those who purchased get many times the durability I got. I'm just thankful Best Buy worked with me and I didn't have to work through LG's warranty. I'm sure they would have made it right, but an exchange worked out nicely for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, thin bezel, November 16, 2013
Great value for a TV of this size and quality.. the bezel is nice and thin - this was a great replacement for a 3 yr old LG 47" TV in my master bedroom.. the physical size of this was the same as my old 47" because of how thin this new bezel is.

Unfortunately, the shipping company which Amazon used did not come anywhere near the guaranteed delivery date, so I had to cancel this order and buy it locally.

5.0 out of 5 stars For $999, you can't beat it (60" TV)., December 27, 2013
P. Chang "klion22" (North Hollywood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I previously had a Vizio M Series (top of the line) 70" TV. I had to return it because the remote didn't work which meant none of the Smart TV apps worked either (the remote issue is a big problem with Vizio TVs). Also, the picture quality on the Vizio was not that good. So I decided to downgrade to a 60" TV and got the LG 60LN5600. The LG picture is superior to the Vizio even though the Vizio has 240hz and was supposed to be their top of the line brand while the LG only has 120hz and this model is not their top of the line brand. The LG's picture calibration settings really let you fine tune the picture to your exact liking, something the Vizio TV lacked.

I mean for $999, you can't beat this TV for a 60" size. You get a model that was just released in late 2013, a SmartTV with all the important apps and most importantly, great picture quality. Let's face it, besides reliability and the thing not breaking on you, the most important factor for a TV, at least for me, is the picture quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and decent TV, December 2, 2013
I love this TV. The picture quality of this TV is amazing. Sound quality is decent. The Smart TV with built in Wi-Fi is definitely a nice feature. This TV has USB port, so I can hook up a mouse and keyboard with ease. And there are plenty of HCM port, so it good. Also, I tried couple of apps that came with the TV:

Youtube : 4 star, great HD quality, average user interface & navigation, sometime minor lag
Netflix : 5 star, great HD quality, great user interface & navigation,
Hulu : 3 star, great HD quality, bad user interface & navigation, sometime minor lag
Amazon Instant Video: 2-3 star, This suck!

Oh yeah at first I noticed the "soap opera effect" where fast moving action appeared to be skip. I played around with the setting and turned off TruMotion and the problem went away. If that doesn't work on your TV try turn of MotionSensing setting too.

I bought this TV on Amazon's Lightning Deal for $450. So overall, this is a great TV at that price and I'm happy with the purchase.