After looking at many, many televisions in the 55" and 60" LED LCD Class, we finally settled on the 2013 55LA8600 from LG.

Comparisons:
Published 16 months ago by MGB04

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to call LG on day 1
Published 14 months ago by RgPitt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very Good - now includes Amazon Instant App (see updates), June 2, 2013
MGB04 (Central Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Electronics 55LA8600 55-Inch Cinema Screen 3D 1080p 240Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV, Built-In Camera and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses (2013 Model) (Electronics)

Comparisons:
Through reviews from Cnet and Amazon, we had a fairly short list. On this: Samsung 2012 ES8000, Samsung 2013 F8000, LG 2012 LM8600, LG 2013 LA8600, and the Sony 2012 HX850. LCD was a requirement, rather than plasma, as this television sits in a room with a high amount of light. The 4K televisions looked great in-store, but the price is too high for us to justify at this time. If you've got the budget, I'd certainly recommend looking at them as well. 240hz refresh was also required as we watch a great deal of F1, Indy, and Nascar racing and wanted to ensure that there was limited blur.

Home Theater Setup:
We have this set mounted on a cabinet (with future intent to mount on the wall), hooked to a 2012 Yamaha Aventage 720 receiver. Speakers are Polk Floor RTi-A5 and an older Csi A6 center channel with Polk powered sub. We are on Comcast Cable and Internet. I have HDMI run through the receiver and hard-wired ethernet running directly from the router. The set is also on a CyberPower battery backup. I also have the Tivo, Roku, and Apple Tv set up through the receiver. TV is on a cabinet just above eye level, and primary viewing area is about 11' back.

Picture Quality: Samsung F8000 vs LG8600
In-store, we compared this television side-by-side with the Samsung F8000. Both sets were beautiful. When placed at the factory default "standard" video setting, the Samsung was visibly brighter than the LG. However, the LG seemed to be "warmer" and had a better picture / color quality. This was especially evident to us when looking at grass in a golf show. The LG of course can be brightened to mimic the Samsung, but at first glance, the Samsung was brighter. Both sets have crisp, clear images and I have not doubt that either is an excellent choice.

Setup:
Setup was simple out of the box. Remove the TV, Assemble with stand (4 bolts), hook up the HDMI, Ethernet, and Cable, and place on stand. My husband and I teamed up on this - the TV is around 50 lbs, so you'll definitely want two people to get things set up. Stand is nice-looking, and accents the television well.

Overall impression:
Initial startup was extremely simple. Turn on, select language, select input, and you're in business (more or less). There are more steps to get the Smart TV features going, but you don't have to start with this. The set is beautiful with a black frame, and nearly edge-to-edge screen. Glare isn't bad (much better than our older 42" Panasonic Plasma), but you can't completely eliminate it. Default settings are good; we disabled the ECO mode choice, and set picture to "Game Mode" after viewing the initial picture. At first glance, I don't see much evidence of edge lighting or ghosting, but haven't had a great length of time to review yet.

Sound: I can't review the sound as we have this hooked to a receiver and home theater setup.

Remote:
The TV ships with LG's "Magic Remote" which is very cool! It's got the gyroscope in it, so can be used like a mouse on the menus. We set this up to also control the Tivo, so while it's not quite as good as the Tivo remote, you can get by. The TV will also accept verbal commands and gestures, although we haven't used these much yet. Let's say that they seem to compare to the Samsung's capability.

Interface & Smart TV Features
No difficulties here and pretty straight forward. Changing the TV sound and picture settings is quite simple. The Smart TV menu is intuitive and gives a great selection of options - big ones are Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and Pandora. I'm hoping we can add Amazon Instant as well. Ideally, this should replace our set-top Roku (fingers crossed). The interface is snazzy and the web browser is good. I still prefer the TV or Ipad, but in a pinch this will do.

Other:
Pop-up camera is included with Skype, It works well, does a great job accounting for room brightness, and can be hidden when not needed. This is great in keeping with the simplicity of the set.

Overall:
We really like this set. Size-wise, this is perfect for our room - 55" was the way for us to go. However, if you're on the fence between 55" & 60", look at price as well - as of June 2013, there is minimal difference in price between the two - this may help with a decision. Picture quality is fantastic, and the interface is very fast. The Smart TV features are what puts this set over the top; being able to use the integrated apps for video watching is a huge bonus, and should replace some of our other boxes. This is a very good TV and initially we can't find too many issues. A slight pixellation up close in action, slight reflection (with any LCD) keep this from a 5-star review (although this will happen with all televisions). Very satisfied with this purchase, and a great looking TV.

Update: June 27, 2013:
Still really like this TV; if there were an Amazon Instant App, it would be 5-star. After about a month, here are few more observations:
1) As of June 27, there is still no Amazon Instant App available. This needs to happen soon! LG - Please Add this Soon; the app is available for the 2012 models, why not the 2013 models?
2)TV speakers are very good for a TV. Very acceptable (though nowhere near the surround sound setup.
3) Menus are very intuitive
4) Skype app works very well
5) Web browser is surprisingly good.
6) Picture in Picture is terrific - this is great when using the Smart Interface or showing a guide
7) Only error we've found - when trying to use the mic on the remote - for some reason it keeps telling us that we need to enter smart setup (which we've done numerous times).

With the exception of the Amazon Instant App - this TV meets all needs. Still Very Impressed!

Update: September 7, 2013
Finally! LG has now provided a terrific Amazon Instant app for this TV. It is very user-friendly. With this addition, I'm revising my review from 4 to 5 stars. Very satisfied with this television.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking picture and 3D, but it does have some bugs, July 22, 2013
Don T. Gaspar (Redwood City, CA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this 60" unit recently, and have been using it for about two weeks now. First off, the picture is so good, it's almost a spiritual experience. The colors are so vivid, and the picture so clear it is truly amazing, especially under panning or action scenes. The TV is very thin and the picture goes right to the edge with a very small bezel -- this space savings from having a small bezel makes this LG 60" the same dimensions as my Samsung 52" from 5 years ago but with a 60" picture, and it's only 1/5th as thick. Downloading content does happen very rapidly with no interruptions. The magic remote works well, and I have had no issues with using it. The built-in Skype camera works great, and we've used it to contact my parents over video call and experienced no issues. While this is a near-perfect TV in so many ways, there are a few issues that need to be addressed.

Here are the issues I have experienced (and YES, I have the latest firmware):

1. My wife and I were watching Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Slayer in 3D. The picture did make you feel like you were right in the middle of the action with such great colors and sound. However, there was a lip syncing issue that cropped up a few times while watching. Stopping the Blu-Ray, and restarting it over did appear to resolve the issue, but we had to do this a few times during watching the movie which is annoying, otherwise it looks like some cheesy foreign movie with bad English dubbed in as an afterthought.

2. I set the TV up for DLNA since most of our home content is on a NAS. Streaming the content worked really fast, and it should since it is on the LAN. The picture and sound quality were amazing as well. However, we do experience a lip sync issue frequently. Occasionally while playing content, the TV would automatically jump to the next video file on its own. The magic remote is a little challenging to get used to when fast-forwarding or rewinding content, but it's really nice once you get used to using it. Playing music over DLNA worked amazing with a clean UI, so if LG can fix the issues with video this unit will be world-class.

3. Unable to get ARC to work. I tried everything, including multiple HDMI 1.4 cable swaps and finally gave up. I did connect the optical-out audio cable to my receiver which was a work-around, but it does work. I was really hoping to have one less cable and this functionality to work properly as advertised.

4. When using a wireless network, my settings were not being saved between power cycles of the TV. Turn the unit off, and everything had to be re-entered the next time I turn the power back on. I connected a physical cable as a workaround and have no issues with it.

5. There is no Amazon Instant Video app. The Netflix app works fantastic, and adding Amazon's content here would add a lot of value to this TV.

Please do not take my issues out of context, as this is a beautiful TV with one of the best pictures I have ever seen. I do not regret my purchase, and would certainly do it over again since the picture quality is that amazing. It's just that this TV has a few bugs that need to be fixed to make it near-perfect. Once the issues above are addressed, I am certain to purchase a second unit for our game room. While I would give most features of this TV a 5 star review, lip syncing, ARC not working, and other items knocks it down a few notches in my book.

I will update this review if/when these items are addressed, but for today I give this TV 3 stars.

*** Update 9/1/2013 ***

There is now an Amazon app, and it works great! Streaming The Avengers over in HD. I am going to update my review to 4 stars now that this killer app is available. Still a few issues listed above, and once addressed I will update.

*** Update 2/16/2014 ***

The picture is breathtaking, as always. The issues with the network preferences not being saved were addressed, along with lip syncing from Blu-Ray. I still see a lip-sync issue when streaming over DLNA, however, if I play my network content via the LG Blu-Ray player's DLNA feature there are no issues.

Netflix and Amazon content steam nicely.

I did see some other reviews that mentioned the unit powers off, and encountered this a few times. I turned off the ECO mode and have not seen this since. Overall a nice purchase that I am very pleased with, but there are a few minor issues, so I will keep the review at 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good purchase., July 15, 2013
This is my first smart TV as well as my first 3D TV. Overall I'm very satisfied. I got the 55" TV and it sits in a living room which is very bright (6 huge 6' x 6' fixes glass window panes that face west with bright sunlight streaming in afternoon onwards). I relied quite a bit on the nice, detailed review by MGB04 (thank you!) and I agree with everything mentioned in that review. I too wish they include the Amazon Prime/Instant app but for now I have my Roku attached to it so it's not that bad.

I haven't hooked it up to a home theater or sound bar yet and I agree that it's still a good enough sound that comes out of the TV. I have an LG 3D Blu-ray player and the few 3D movies I've watched have been great as well. There is a bit more reflection on the screen than I was used to with my old 32" LCD Sharp Aquos (which was a 2008 model and had no reflection what-so-ever). But it isn't too noticeable when the TV is on.

I did not have the best experience with the delivery service - I had the delivery date changed to one day later than the default date but the delivery service called me one day early, i.e., the default date that Amazon had displayed. When they called I was at work and I pointed out that it was supposed to delivered the next day, the driver told me I could call their customer service to select another date the following week. Not wanting to wait that long, I left work and drove home (luckily just 20 minutes away). There was only one person, the driver of the delivery truck while the TV box has signs on it that says it needed to be lifted by two people - I helped the driver carry it to my living room. The driver then proceeded to tear open the box and the wrapping in the process of setting it up which I did not like - what if it turned out defective and I had to return it? When I mentioned it, the driver was oblivious to my concerns - saying they're required to dispose all packing material.

I've only had it for a few weeks, if I can think of any updates to add, I'll come back and edit my review but so far I'm very happy with this TV.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to call LG on day 1, August 5, 2013
After lot of research we bought 60 inch LA8600 finally when I turn the TV it's all pixels no clear picture so called LG support. LG support you actually talk to REAL people no long wait. LG send the technician next day. He suspected its a bad system board and replaced with new one still no good then he replaced with new panel now it works 1/2 hour and then goes back finally LG decided to replace the TV.
1. System Board
2. Total 2 Panels changed
3. Technician made at least 6 visits.

I'm still waiting to hear back from LG on the replacement TV.

Advice: You buy online please make sure the TV is working right before you send the delivery guy (Most important). Its easy to exchange at that time rather than going through this hassle...!

I hope this helps...! I tried to post this review on LG website they rejected right away...!

Update: Finally LG called today and said they will replace the TV with in week.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV but a bit expensive, November 14, 2013
I returned my LM96000 and got the LA8600. Te main reason was the integrated camera and the faster streaming. I'm a heavy skype user and it does make a difference,

I did not feel any difference between the 480 Hz refresh rate of the 9600 anf the 240 Hz of the 8600

The rest of the features are almost identical

The looks: 10 out of 10 score. It looks really nice: So slim, the chrome frame and stand are very high quality and really impressive.

Picture Quality is fantastic. 3D is better than the Samsung but I think the Samsung is better in 2D HD mode. I liked the color tones of the Samsung better. The Samsung does not suffer much of the "Soap Opera" picture. I can't describe it easily, but you would see and image which is real HD but has no depth. You will feel this, specially if you compare with the old expensive plasma TV's. This is my only complaint on picture quality.
Both of the TV are 240 Hz refresh rate so they are great for fast sport and action movies. LG was able to generate darker black but Samsung generate brighter silver color. It seems this LG nono LED technology is good, ...although my very old Pioneer Plasma TV is much better in old SD content (but not HD for sure). 9 out of 10 score

2D to 3D conversion surprisingly works ( to some extent) but only on HD 2D content. I thought this was just a marketing gimmick. But I think I will use it frequently on the sports games. You can get around the soap opera effect by turning on the 2D to 3D conversion which does work nicely.2 bonus points!

Sound Quality: Wow, how did they get this sound out of these tiny down firing speakers at the bottom of TV. Anyway, it is unlikely that I will use them anyway. 11 out of 10 !

Smart TV functions: Mostly useless. Streaming was much better on the 8600 than 9600, but certainly not suitable for HD content, which will keep pausing to buffer every 2 minutes. SD content and Youtube are fine. YouTube has some 3D short video clips now. If you try to stream these, the TV will pause every 30 sec to buffer, this has nothing to do with internet speed, I have a true 16MB internet connection.

Smart TV apps: Mostly useless, you may use Amason Instant Video , Netflix,... but most HD content will pause every few minutes to buffer. This does not happen if you play the same content from you Roku !

Skype: Works fine on the 8600. The video quality is really good

Inputs/ Outputs: 4 HDMI and 3 USB with digital Audio out: I think I will now use the TV to switch between my different video sources rather than the AVR receiver. I have lots (300)of HD 2D and 3D movies on a small 1TB hard-disk that is now attached to the LG. I was going to replace my great 8 yrs old Rotel receiver to get latest HDMI support, but now I can keep this old beast where the sound quality is far much better than the current commercial Denon and Onkyo. My TV is now doing the source switching instead of my AVR !

Remote: My set came with both remotes: The traditional and magic remote. I'm a computer engineer so I had no problem getting used to both real quick. I like the magic remote more than the traditional one.

I still have light clouds at 2 of the 4 corners, but better than the 9600. It does not show except if you dim the room and a watch some very dark 16:9 content where the upper and lower parts of the screen are left blank (and black).

Conclusion:

Screen Size is more important
If you have a tight budget and want to make a compromise between size of the TV and Refresh rate, Choose the size over the refresh rate. I could not see any difference in picture quality between 240Hz and 480Hz. I could see very slight difference when compared with 120 Hz. Buy size of screen make huge difference if you want to watch 3D.

Forget about the Smart Feature
Discard most of these smart TV functions when you make your decision on all TV's. the do not work properly on most TV's. You will need to spend that $35-90 to Buy a Google TV, apple TV, Ruku , Boxee . I wish LG saved that $200 spent of the Smart hardware and internet connection and gave it back to me in price reduction.
Remember: You are essentially buying the LED panel and the video processing hardware. Focus your decision on these

LED Panel comes with flows
Almost all TV's have some flows on the LED panel some flaw's causes some large or very small bright cloud spots on corners. You may want to check the unit quickly when it arrives.

Re-Consider Plasma
Finally, if you don't watch lot of HD content and most of the sources you watch are standard definition (DVD quality) then you are much better off with high end plasma at half the price

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality and beautiful product, passive 3D glasses is awesome, August 7, 2013
This TV is awesome, I was looking for a 60" LED TV and I was leaning towards the Samsung brand, since all my last 5 TVs were all Samsung and I really think that they nailed the design, quality and feature balance.

But now there is a premium that you pay for anything Samsung and LG has just as good premium products that are cheaper that the equivalents from Samsung.

What is good:
- The TV is basically all screen, with super thin trim and crispy clear image.
- The Magic Remote is really cool, the mouse like way of using it, makes super easy and intuitive to use.

What needs improvement:
- Hand Gesture controls are not there yet, quite complicated to use and not really work
- I never used the camera, unless for testing the gestures. Not really a great feature.

Overall this is a great LED TV and I totally recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG 60LA8600, May 14, 2013
Just arrive. Awesome TV, slim and sleek. Love it! Fast speed loading connection via internet. 3D is amazing even in 2D to 3D conversion. Very light weighted passive glasses. Magic remote come in very handy and it is very user friendly. Setting up is fast and easy too. Nothing to complain about it thus far. More to explore on the calibration of pics.

5.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect TV, December 15, 2013
love this TV, perfect picture, very useful remote, nice audio, easy to operate … great PQ right our of the box. I did compare this TV to Sharp 857, Samsung 7100/7500/8000 and Sony 550/802/900. For all of the available features, quality and price I would highly recommend this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet tv, May 28, 2013
This TV is Awesome does everything I wanted it to do the picture quality is great the 3-D is amazing the 2-D to 3-D is awesome the dual play for the games is really cool just overall I really love this TV I would Definitely recommend purchasing this TV over other smart TV brands

5.0 out of 5 stars great tv, no dead pixels, awkward remote, January 25, 2014
I love this tv, took me quite some time to decide but I'm happy I choose this one as the optimal mix of features for my budget. comes with four 3d pairs of light plastic passive glasses. It has 0 defects on the screen.
I don't like much the remote, I'd rather have a traditional one as switching/opting channels takes forever.
Skype app does not store passwords so if you save multiple profiles you need to retype any time you switch.
wifi cannot be turned off, which I don't like.
I rate 5 stars anyway because of the good pricing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›