Most helpful critical review
104 of 110 people found the following review helpful
No Magic for Me
on August 21, 2013
I expected the remote (voice feature in particular) to simplify TV operations especially around the smart TV functions (netflix, plex, DLNA) but I'm very disappointed.
What the voice recognition can perform:
1. Switching TV channels - although pressing a number to switch channel on a regular remote seems as easy and is much faster.
2. Voice search for Bing/web browsing - useful but I doubt that many people surfs with their TVs in the age of iphone/ipad/ultrabooks.
All voice commands (even a simple channel switch) are processed through the Internet and takes more than a few seconds to respond (similar to Siri but slower and less effective). As the result of internet processing dependency, the remote also runs into "Connection to server failed" error fairly often despite my stable internet connection.
LG could have made the remote truly magical if it's enabled for a wider range of functions, but many simple logical functions I hoped for are not available:
1. No control over netflix/plex/DLNA - When I'm under the smart TV interface and say "open netflix", it opens bing and search for netflix as opposed to open up the netflix app. When I manually open up netflix app, and tell the remote "watch House of cards", it doesn't know how to react to that.
2. Can't switch between inputs - I found it to be time consuming to switch between inputs - takes a few clicks on a regular remote. I hoped magic remote would understand something like "input HDMI 1" or "input PC" to speed up switching between my cable box and PC.
3. Can't control TV settings - was hoping the remote would simplify switching of video and sound settings.
One additional quirk - if you are buying this for a LG TV that doesn't come with a magic remote, you'll also need an USB dongle for the remote to work - double check that the dongle will be included as part of the remote purchase.
If properly implemented, the magic remote has the potential to significantly simplify the operation of increasingly complicated TVs, but in it's current state, I see very little value add over the regular remote.