4.0 out of 5 stars Speakers are amazing, "Smart TV" is dumb
Published 12 months ago by Kristeona

3.0 out of 5 stars Great system but where is the HDMI input????
This is a great little system. The sound quality is great. The Blu-ray player is great. The wireless capability is great. But, where is the HDMI inputs. There are NONE! So, I ran the optical cable from my DirecTv box and everything works fine. However, I would love to see HDMI inputs on this system.
Published 16 months ago by M. Chamberlain

3.0 out of 5 stars Great system but where is the HDMI input????, June 29, 2013
M. Chamberlain (Stafford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Electronics BH6830SW 1000 Watt 3D Blu-ray Home Theater System with Wireless Rear Speakers (2013 Model) (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Speakers are amazing, "Smart TV" is dumb, September 30, 2013
I've had this speakers a few weeks and I just love them. The bass, the volume, the clarity, their appearance... all perfect. However, the blueray/smart tv set up leaves much to be desired and is the reason I can't give this item 5 stars. For one, the system is slow. The remote is slow, the boot-up time is slow, the time for this internet to connect is slow, and loading apps like Netflix is slow. The least forgivable to me is the initial internet connection. I have the system hard-wired to the internet and yet it takes a painfully long time for the unit to find it. Once this system is up and running it performs quickly enough. Until you want to pause or rewind. Then you are in for a world of pain. The initial homescreen/user interface is not my favorite, particularly since I've been previously been using a Roku which has the best interface and start-up times around.
Finally, the DVD player has been glitchy. I'll admit I haven't tested this feature thoroughly, but the one DVD I did watch all the way through would occasionally snag and skip a little.
Altogether, you are looking at 5-star speakers with a 2-star blueray/smart TV. You've been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great System & Wireless too, January 15, 2014
I was very happy with this BluRay Theater System. I was taking my time unloading and organizing, so it took longer than I expected. The cables were all color-coded (awesome) and the DVD inputs/outputs were coded to match. That was very helpful. Since the rear speakers are wireless there is plenty of cable. I have an LG HDTV so the two work well together. I am still trying to figure out how to use the DVD sound (either CD or Bluetooth from my iPhone) without having the TV on too. The only delay I had with the set up and use was a wiring mistake (on my part) that was quickly remedied with a google search for the problem (center channel/voice not coming through).
This was the best system at the best price that included wireless rear speakers. The speaker cases look sharp too.
I ran the DVD to my HDTV w/ an HDMI cable (not supplied)
I also ran the audio from my HDTV back to the DVD with an optical cable (not supplied)
both cost me about $5 each.
And they worked great.
If you want sound from your TV or STB you will have to run a separate cable back to the DVD player. The HDMI cable does not work both ways. Make sure you have an audio output from your TV.
The Bluetooth was a bonus I hadn't realized.
Sound quality is very good (much better than my HDTV, but probably not Theater-buff standard)
Wireless rear speaker has a separate power unit that will have to be plugged in. This unit does not have to run to the DVD, but will need outlet power and the 2 speakers run to it with wires.
I have not used the Smart or 3D features yet, but will in the future.
WiFi setup was easy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turns itself off if TV is on mute., November 10, 2013
The quality is very good. The only reason for the 4 rating is because it turns itself off if I mute the TV for a little over 30 seconds. I have turned the auto off feature off, but this seems to be a bug. If I pause a DVD or an online feature, it stays on, but the problem is only if I put the tv on mute. If LG fixes this, it would be a 5er.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound system rings true, October 4, 2013
The sound system is compatible with our LG TV, has great sound and was both easy to install and within our budget limits. We did our reading homework and felt our previous LG purchases and easy Amazon ordering tipped the scale on ordering the Blu-ray Home System and it delivers the sound we were looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, July 29, 2013
I bought this Home Theater System to go with my LG TV. What I like about it is the sound quality and the design. What I don't like is that it is a bit slow to respond. Every time I press a button on the remote, it takes two-three seconds for the system to process it. it syncs up nicely with my LG TV; I use one remote to control all the functions. Overall, It's a good product for its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, July 24, 2013
Installed it, only problem was the optical cable I had to go buy, but I love it. Sound is amazing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unit says "No Disk", January 1, 2014
Marland Ellis (Beavercreek, OH, US) - See all my reviews
I set this unit up and checked the radio, wifi,etc, and popped in a standard definition DVD and it worked. After this, I checked the settings and it said an update is required. I selected it and it churned for 10 minutes without updating (WiFi signal was strong). When I powered the unit off and turned it back on and placed a DVD in it, it said, "No Disk." I downloaded the latest firmware update from LG's website and installed it from a thumb drive. It still didn't work.

LG sent me a shipping label (after waiting 2 DAYS FOR AN EMAIL) to send it in to be repaired. After more than two weeks, I received the reconditioned unit back. I set it up and the DVD worked. After setting up the Bluetooth, WiFi, radio, etc, I went to Settings and it said the unit required an update, so I clicked OK. It churned and churned and never updated. When I powered it off and back on, the disk player quit again. I downloaded the firmware update and installed it manually... AGAIN. The LG help line guy said I would have to send it in... AGAIN. I told him at this point, they should send me a new unit immediately while I return this one, but he refused. This unit is obviously defective and I am getting the runaround from LG. LG, are you listening?

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the features, but it isn't perfect, March 8, 2014
G. B. Payne (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
First the pros:
As a sound system, this is a great system. It decodes all the important codecs, particularly DTS (which is crucial, and there are systems out there that don't). It has more power than you'll really need for hearing the dinosaurs roar and stuff, and guns firing in your living room have all the thrill you'd want.
The feature that pleases me is that it will play matroska formatted video (mkv) on both the wireless sources and on disks that you burn them to. For example, let's say you bring back a boatload of high definition home video from your vacation in Spain. You distill it down to 2 hours (it's for you, not your neighbors). If you put that on a DVD, you'll have to squeeze enough quality out of it to make it fit, that it won't be hi-def anymore. But you can easily squeeze two hours of hi-def into a matroska container and burn that to a DVD or BluRay data disk, and this unit will play it in all its glory, without having to store it on your hard drive.

Now the cons:
Probably the most annoying thing is the time it takes to browse through the source menu, followed by the time it takes to browse through the folders and files on the hard drive it's referring to for wifi play. When you finally get to the right folder and file, you select the file, and you may wait up to 30 seconds for the file to begin playing. I suspect that this is because it's depending on the Nero Media Home software (free in the package) that you have to install so that the player doesn't have to depend on "shared" folders on your PC. I have used independent media player boxes that were almost instant in their file selection, though you do have to understand how to "share" your media folders, but installing the software isn't all that much easier, and that long wait while changing files would be eliminated.
Setup was, for the most part, a simple matter of following instructions. I did have a little difficulty getting the wireless rear speakers to sync with the system, but we eventually got it working, and you only have to do that once (I hope).
I think given the price and the features, I'm OK with this system, but if I could make two suggestions (are they reading this at the LG company?) I would ask for programmable "source" buttons on the remote, and most important, the ability to read all shared folders without having to depend on that slow Nero software.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system for the money, April 21, 2014
Former Pilot (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
It is not a top of the line sound system but for under $400 I can't see how you would get more for your money. If it was a $750 system for $400 it would get the 5 stars! :-)

The remote speakers worked perfectly, but, the box that "runs" them is very large compared to what I would think would be necessary. It hides down the back of a couch for us, but, it would be harder to hide in a different setup.

So far we have used it with Netfix and You Tube and both those features work perfectly.

We watched a 3d movie (Up) and the picture quality was great.

If it has a down side it is that the speakers seem small and less powerful that you might want, but again, for this kind of money it would be foolish to expect more. I have had an issue with the optical input that requires me to turn off the system and turn it back on but this was not a big issue for me.