Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Originally intended to be in my kid's room, the BP330 may replace my Sony BD player because of all the features missing in it that can be found in the LG BP330

For starters, the device is smaller than your average players, which is very practical. The player has a USB slot on the front next to the power button that can be used to connect external drives additionally to USB pen drives.

A couple things to note though that I consider important to mention. This is high definition player (1080p), because of the size, certain things had to be sacrificed; the player has no component outputs at all, the only output is one HDMI slot. So if you were planning on running the audio separately, you will not be able to do so unless you own an HD receiver. In my particular case, since the TV my kid has is one of those HD sets that use only audio/video component cables, I simply could not use this player with it. This may be irrelevant to some but relevant to others. As usual with this type of devices, you want to make sure you buy an HDMI cable separately as it is not included in the box.

Setting up the Wi-Fi was as easy as entering the Wi-Fi password, the next minute I was already playing YouTube videos and streaming media. Among the streaming services I really wanted to find Amazon Instant Video, given that I have a Prime account, unfortunately, it is not included as an option for this player. Netflix though is there, which is the one people I know are the most interested in.

Besides playing Bluray discs and region 1 DVDs (a bummer since I still own imported DVDs that cannot be played in it because of region restraints), the player can also reproduce other media. There is an option to play videos, where you can select a disc or a USB drive. A very important thing and something I loved about this player, I tested two external drives I own, one formatted in FAT32 and the other in NTFS and the device not only recognized both but played the files in them without a problem! This has to be the first device I own that does this as normally other players and TV sets will only recognize FAT32 formatted drives.

Playing Video I was able to play .avi and .mp4 files, I tried .mkv and those were a no-go. If the video has the subtitles .srt file the BP330 will play the video with those.

In the Audio section I was able to play .mp3 files but Apple lossless files were not recognized by the player.

Since all of my personal pictures are .jpeg that was the only format I could test for pictures and the they displayed perfectly fine on screen.

The menus are easy to navigate and the color buttons can be used to move through the different options (Audio, Video, Photo) without having to navigate through the folders every single time, which is very user friendly. Speaking of user friendly, one thing I did not like about the remote is that the shortcut buttons for Audio and Subtitles are not in it, so should you wish to switch audio/subtitles you have to navigate through the Bluray pop-up menus, not a big deal but not very practical.

All in all, a small but very complete player, it is not my first BD player so trust me when I tell you you're getting your money's worth if you get this. Recommended.

EDIT 07/01/13: According to the manual, and the icons in the box, this player should be able to reproduce .mkv files. I tried with a couple files on my initial testing and was unable to do so. Well, after a couple attempts today I was able to make it work. I guess it has to do with how the file was created, .mkv files created with an HD video camera I own cannot be reproduced. .mkv files created with a photo camera we took for our recent vacation played just fine. Just thought I would add this note as I originally stated this type of files could not be played
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 11, 2013
**Update October 2014 Well, over the Summer this product stopped recognizing that there was a disc in it at all. No longer plays dvds or blue rays. Still streams, so it is not trash yet, but we have to replace the player. Factory reset did not solve the issue this time.

Pros
*Easy setup, found my network, and was able to stream Netflix immediately. Picture is great and streams flawlessly.

*Continuous streaming, if you are watching a series it will auto-start the next episode, and after a few episodes ask "are you still watching_____?" LOVE that feature.

*It is small, perfect size for where it needed to be placed. It's about 1/2 the size of our 18 month old LG 3D blue ray player.

Con:
*It won't play blue ray disc. Put in the disc, spit it out, put it back in, it says "Check disc". Next time it slowly made it's way to the main menu, clicked movie, sounds like it's grinding loading the disc, and finally pulled up the menu. Press play, it started and FROZE. Had to unplug it to get it to do anything and try yet AGAIN. This time when it made it to the movie, pressed play started. When it started to play the movie started skipping like the disc was damaged. It skipped and stuck it's way through to the movie again, and within the beginning credits it was skipping and freezing. There is nothing wrong with the disc, it works great on the other player.

Our older player takes a minute or two to load (nowhere near as fast as a regular dvd player at loading) but I had no idea it would take 3-5 minutes to start a movie that was then going to skip. Even when I play dvds it takes too long to load. Also if you press any buttons on the remote before it's ready, be prepared to unplug it, it will freeze.

Bottom line: Definitely would not purchase again.

*edit* After reading LOTS reviews for similar items in the same price range it seems that they all have issues, and most stop playing blue rays (most after a firmware update).

Did a factory reset and the machine began playing the blue ray discs, reconnected it to our wi-fi only to have it drop the connection after watching another movie.

I would say that this machine has a few issues that make it not worth purchasing. At the same time, all of the other machines in this price range (and some in the next price bracket) that I've researched still have the exact same problems.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon May 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This very compact, reasonably priced blu-ray player performs well for basic functions. But lack of Amazon Prime streaming support is a deal-killer. Netflix is supported.

Pros:

* The player is fantastically small--at least half as small as my Sony BDP-S590. Probably a quarter as small considering all dimensions.

* Set up took literally 5 minutes from unboxing to getting access to wireless network. Considerably easier than the Sony, by the way.

Cons

* No Amazon Prime.

* On-screen menus are kind of goofy and non-intuitive.

I decided to test the load up speed with Homeland, the blu-ray that made me want to throw my wife's ancient blu-ray out of the window, before I calmed down and went on Amazon to buy the Sony Sony BDP-S590. (Amazon, thank you for saving my sanity and my marriage.)

The LG took almost fifty seven seconds to load this disc, which I thought was pretty long until I discovered that my Sony took almost a minute as well.

I've never noticed much difference in picture quality from one blu-ray player to another--all of them are great.

I don't use Netflix streaming, I have Amazon prime instead. For me, the lack of support for Amazon is a real killer. If you are a Netflixxer, this won't be an issue.

If you have an older blu-ray player and are looking for a good, cheap upgrade, I would recommend this Blu-ray player.

If you are willing to pay more, I would highly recommend the Sony BDP-S5100, the successor to the one I own. It's actually cheaper on Amazon as of writing than the previous model. It plays blu-rays beautifully and streams Amazon amazingly well.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2013
I absolutely love this Blu-ray/DVD player. It has all the features I was looking for/wanted. Plays my Blu-rays, regular DVD's, burned DVD's that have video files on them, has built-in Wi-Fi for video streaming from Netflix. It also has a USB port to connect a music player or flashdrive and see your photos on TV or listen to music. The remote is easy to use and doesn't have too many buttons like some remotes. And most of all, it's at a great/affordable price for such a great item! I'm very glad I purchased this LG BP330 Blu-ray Disc Player.
on October 31, 2013
it never remembers the password, since you have to us the arrow peck method to enter the password it takes forever. Actually, it's worse than that. Right now it's telling me that there is no wireless network (that would be the network I am currently writing this review on). It also takes forever to load netflix/internet whenever it does find the network. I suppose the dvd player is ok, but i've had better for less. i just wanted the netflix connection and this is a loser
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I just received this after my BP220 bit the dust as the warranty replacement. (which btw LG did an excellent job with customer service/warranty process when my first one failed, I was impressed) No telling yet how long this will last (my BP220 only lasted 4 months before it wouldn't read anymore discs). The BP220 did not come with Hulu plus capability as advertised and i was pretty pissed to find this out after I bought that would, but thankfully this newer model does come with that capability. you can stream things from netflix, hulu plus, vudu, and youtube. you can't get anything else, so if you want to stream from amazon that's not going to happen, just a heads up. Picture and sound are as expected. So far so good.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 13, 2013
I have an LG television, so it attached seamlessly to my set, and I have enjoyed the wireless internet features.
on January 4, 2014
Had trouble after 1 week and had to be return for repair to LG ..Works fine now after being return
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2013
I bought this dvd player because of ratings on Amazon.I picked this player because it plays DIVX files and I'm glad I did.
I'm very pleased as always on Amazon.
on August 5, 2013
I have a lot of videos to play in avi, mkv and mp4 formats. This player played all my avi and mkv files I tried on it... and did a great job doing it. The problem was that most of what I wanted to view on this unit were mp4. It played mp4, sort of, if you like to watch very early silent films (picture quality). It was like every other frame was missing - very jerky. Gave me a headache trying to watch it. This could have had a 5 star rating except for the poor quality of mp4. One positive was it played every format from both DVD and from the USB port. I was also pleased how it played my DVD discs. I can't say how it plays Blu-ray discs, this was going to be my first player.

The unit was about 2/3rds of the size of my DVD player with only 2 tiny buttons on the front - power and eject. It was so light that trying to push the button just pushed the unit. I found I had to hold on to the player and push the button with my finger nail. Needless to say you will need the remote to do everything. The whole feeling was cheap.

The on screen guide for the file formats wasn't very good. It only showed the first few letters of the the file name and you had to park on it a while for it to scroll through the full name.

In this digital age, with so many formats, you would think that they would make sure they played as many formats as possible as well as possible. My computer plays everything with free players. I also have a Micca Digital Media Player that plays everything but I wanted to also play what was saved on DVDs, which is why I wanted this player.