Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on June 28, 2014
After spending an hour on the phone with a cordial and knowledgeable technician, the unit went back to be repaired. During the conversation, the technician mentioned that as of January 2014 the LG units were having problems with Comcast. Unfortunately when the repaired unit arrived, the same issues occurred. The wifi might find or connect to the network, but it was iffy at best. If it did, it lost connection in less than ten minutes. It will not even reliably connect on an unencrypted network. LG has been contacted again to attempt a fix.

7/14/2014
Well, the unit arrived from the second attempt at repair today. This time, the unit would not connect at all. The technicians at the repair center were specifically asked to test the unit prior to sending it back. They did not. The representative quickly offered a refund for the defective device. Unfortunately this process has taken six weeks to determine that it is not working.

7/26/2014
Just got off the phone with LG customer service again. They lost my proof of purchase, and asked me to send it again. They said that they would call to make arrangements with me for the refund. They didn't. I called back and they told me the process, not for a refund, but for a rebate would take another month. I asked them if they knew this kind of service would make them lose customers, they said yes. Frustrated, I got in touch with Amazon. Within minutes their customer service had sent a return mailing label, even though the window for returns had closed on the 2nd.
77 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2014
If you buy this unit as a Blu-ray player, it will satisfy. It does a great job. However, its wifi feature quit on me after a few days and I could not get it to work again - even with tech support.

Disappointed.
22 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2014
With the limited and albeit negative reviews on this unit I took a chance anyway and bought three of them for my bedroom, living room and theater. My brother has the LG Electronics BP530 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi and the only difference I can tell between that one and this one besides slight cosmetic differences is that the 540 has Amazon Instant loaded on it. The Amazon Instant icon is not on the home screen but rather in the "Premium" section. I was nervous that a firmware update might delete it but after performing the update the Amazon Instant Video app is still there. Netflix, Amazon and YouTube load much slower than the Samsung BD-F5900 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player (2013 Model) that I returned due it's horrible DLNA client. The LG home screen and interface is much nicer than the Samsung's but the Samsung is much faster and has way more bells and whistles and I could even mirror my Android phone on the screen but in the end I settled on the LG BP540 because I decided I just wanted good 3D Blu-ray playback, both Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and a wide selection of supported video codecs for DLNA playback.
33 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2014
Setup wasn't that hard. Blue Ray player works well for disks other options it provides do not. Product came when they said it would. The free Netflix for six months works (don't care if they take that back or not)

I was pretty stoked on how well the movies looked and it plays them fairly quick and they looked great. The Smart TV function is very slow with WiFi (I didn't try it with a LAN line), I mostly used Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. Both apps take a very long time to start up and the remote isn't snappy at all. You have to be very patience but the appearance of both apps were very nice.

I had a few problems with it just plan working a few times, it would just freeze on a menu in both the player and the apps. Then all of a sudden the WiFi stopped working, wouldn't even show my network name. I tried resetting every thing, nope. I tried advance setting, nope. Then it didn't get any networks at all. Unplugged it for a few hours only to come back to the same problem. So I plugged back in the Ruko box and it worked fine. After taking a few hours trying to get this thing to work I decided back in the box you go and I will get a different blue ray player. I only hope it works better for you than it did for me
on July 8, 2014
I've had the BP540 for about a month. This does everything I expected it to do. Since I was already a Netflix subcriber the 6-month gift promotion brought my net cost for this down to $38. I was due for an upgraded Blu-Ray player since I am replacing a Sony BDP-S300 from around 2007. That player is WAY slower than this new one. Also I now can experience DTS-HD Master Audio with this new unit.

I was also looking for a Blu-Ray player that had Amazon Instant Video, which I can confirm that this has right out of the box and also after firmware updates. Since Amazon has been road blocking all my previous access devices to the video service, I was looking to kill 2 birds with one stone. About 2 years ago Amazon decided to block access to HD content via PC web browser. So much for my fabulous Home Theater PC. They also decided to create an Android app that will only work with their Kindle devices but not with my Android ones.

HBO Go does not appear to be available on this unit. It wouldn't have done me any good because Comcast does not support HBO GO on dedicated TV video streaming devices. Comcast doesn't want you using HBO GO on your large TV, just your PC or smart phone. Chromecast does work for this and it probably drives them nuts.

The Netflix and Amazon Instant Video apps work about as well as most of the other streamers I've used. Using a fast wired internet connection, it reaches 1080p about as quickly as my PS3, faster than my Chromecast, and much faster than my 2012 Panasonic smart TV. The remote seems a bit weak and I prefer using the Android app to control it. I briefly tested the Private Sound Mode on the app and it worked well using my Nexus 4.

At the time of my purchase, I couldn't find a cheaper Blu-Ray player that supported Amazon Instant Video. I'm glad I took a chance on it despite the mediocre rating.
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2014
This is a brand new player, right out of the box. Blu-rays play fine, but the Wi-Fi stopped working after ONLY 4 DAYS!! It recognizes my neighbors networks, but not mine. I've tried messing with the modem, messing with my wireless, called LG tech support (friendly, but useless), tried LG's software updates (made it worse), tried restoring to factory settings - NOTHING!! LG tech support's advice was to return it to Amazon which I am in the process of doing now. The crazy thing is that there are lots of other people who have had the exact same issue. Buyer beware!!!
on September 2, 2014
Was a great little unit at first. Great format, menu was very user friendly until it lost all wifi connection, then it was pointless to keep. Didn't want to have to return it to Amazon so returned it to the Walmart instead and got store credit and then got a sony that was actually less expensive and has worked flawlessly ever since. This lg is total junk.
on July 31, 2014
WiFi stopped working after only a few hours of operation on two units. Slow operation overall. Would not play .MP4 formatted videos that did play well on my older LG BP 530, and LG BD 670 players. Returned defective units. Very disappointed.
on September 3, 2014
This LG BP540 unit was a disaster! Initial setup went OK, but first time I loaded a Disc it sat and thought for a good 5 minutes, totally unresponsive to either remote control or direct action on the play / pause / stop / eject / power buttons on the unit. Just as I was about to pull the plug, it proceeded to play. However, after endless previews (uggh - no way to skip on some rental discs!), we arrived at the main menu. Could not get the unit to pass this menu, despite repeated attempts. Again, would not respond to any remote or on-unit button mashing. Finally pulled the plug, disconnected unit for 5 minutes, plugged in and was able to eject disc.

Disc later played perfectly in two other BD players. I will stick to Sony or Panasonic for my BD players going forward.
on August 28, 2014
I never write reviews but... This blu ray player is so horrible I have to. It will play discs (both blu ray and DVDs) about 25% of the time. And it's completely arbitrary. It will play a disc in the morning, and then you try to put it back in 2 hours later... "Check disc." You try it again, "check disc." You try it AGAIN... It works. For ALL discs. There is no rhyme or reason. I of course, threw away the box, and living in rural Northwest Alaska, it would just be harder to return it than to deal with the annoyance. But if you have ANY other option, don't buy this player. It's horrible.