4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended in moderate climate

3.0 out of 5 stars Tips to Improve Cooling
Published 3 months ago by FSC729

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended in moderate climate, May 17, 2014
This review is from: LG Electronics LP0814WNR 115-volt Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control, 8000 BTU (Misc.)
We live in Southern California near the coast. Like most older homes in the area, we do not have central air. Thanks to the beach breeze, it doesn't get hot too often. On those days when temperatures reach in the 90s, we pull this out. It doesn 'to make the room ice cold, but it keeps in tolerable. It definitely is loud, but no more than other portable ACs in the market. The only thing I have an issue with is the vent hook up to the window. We have windows that slide horizontal so that makes the set up more difficult. It would be nice if they could one day design an easier window set up. Once set up though, there isn't much too do but turn it on. If you need your room to be an ice box, I would consider one of the more expensive and larger units. Otherwise, if you just need to use it a few weeks out of the year, I think this is a good choice for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tips to Improve Cooling, July 13, 2014
FSC729 (South San Francisco, California USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great air conditioner. I was able to vastly improve the "cooling power" of this air conditioner by covering the white vinyl heated air duct with an "8 in. x 25 ft. Insulated Flexible Duct R6 Silver Jacket" from Home Depot. It keeps the heat from the exhaust duct inside the silver jacket and delivers the heat to the environment outside, instead of into the room you are trying to cool. You can also buy the appropriate hose clamps so the silver jacket doesn't slip off the duct connectors.

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than i expected., July 10, 2014
I just purchased this product. Took me less than 10min to set it up.
It cools room well but not lower than 78 degree when its 88 to 90 outside.
It is noisy when on high fan mode but i can still sleep through it.
I did not have to drain any water from the bottom of the unit even after using it for whole afternoon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bedroom air conditioner., May 29, 2014
This is a very good air conditioner for a small room. It does not get really really cold though, but it is perfect for the space that I work in. The only complaint that I have is that I paid 321 dollars for this just less than a month ago, and now the price is 279.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, small, quiet-ish, great for small rooms., July 10, 2014
Very small, very light, and rather quiet for a portable air conditioner! I've tried 4 different ones of the years, this one is the smallest, quietest, and lightest. Window mounting kit is only slightly above average, which means it's still terrible. Produces nice cool breeze. Fan is powerful on high and still rather quiet. Cooling rate seems to be about 2 degrees per hour in a mid-70s small room that has at least two big desktop computers running in it, according to its nice bright LED. Intake vents are intelligently placed. Decent remote. Recommend thermal insulation wrap for the hose as it gets HOT as is typical with all these units. For a small room it seems to work fine. If you can afford more, get one with the two hose design. Does not have auto moving louvers, but they are adjustable.

Not giving it 5 stars because there has yet to be a portable AC to deserve it. For the price, it's a no brainer. I could have done far worse for my small home office.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job, July 25, 2014
1. Setup is easier than I thought. Btw, I did not install the exhaust hose on my window according to manual, for better removability.
2. All I need is to keep my room temperature around 75 Fahrenheit during 85~95 hot summer days, and the unit delivers.
3. My only complaint: It is noisy, especially when the compressor is actively running.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, September 12, 2014
This air conditioner is a terrific fit for me! I love in a small efficiency (about 250 square feet) and it easily cools my apartment from 80+ outside to the 68-69 I like inside. This air conditioner can be somewhat noisy on the high setting, but the noise is quite manageable on low.

Two quick notes on this air conditioner:

1) it puts out a very noticeable "stream" of cold air. Thus, you may find yourself freezing if you do not have an out-of-the-way place to put the air conditioner.

Be careful when installing the window kit--if you don't make an airtight seal (or at least near air-tight), you will find that hot air flowing back in negates the effects of the air conditioner.

5.0 out of 5 stars GReat, August 2, 2014
Quieter than expected (from other reviews.) I'm using it to cool off an area much larger than it is designed and it works really well!! So glad I purchased this in June. It's been toasty here and this AC is saving us!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very happy with it, August 24, 2014
I got this yesterday after my window unit bit the dust. I am very happy with it, as it cools my room down very well. Looking at getting another one for my office. It is a life save in this Texas heat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay..., September 17, 2014
Got this a little more than a year ago. Worked okay as a air conditioner, haven't been expecting much. As long as you are in front of it, you feel cool as rain. But my room is about 150 sq ft, and this is supposed to go up to 300 sq ft cooling. It doesnt cool my room from maybe 85degrees to about 70, it will cool it to about 76-77, which is fine but it could be a lot better with such a high price, considering a 200 dollar window air con will do a much better job.

Also been having this problem where when it reaches about 100+ degrees, the compressor will shut off at 5 minute intervals, not too sure if its too hot or not enough electricity around my area. But it gets quite annoying if it does that.

Overall not a bad air "cooler" if you are not expecting much.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

$358.55
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.