5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, with a couple caveats
This is by far the best phone on Verizon, IF you're willing to spend some time tweaking it to get around the somewhat annoying customizations that LG and Verizon have stuck on the phone.

Published 16 months ago by M. Atlas

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Poor Interface
Published 15 months ago by Brian K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, with a couple caveats, September 19, 2013
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)

The G2 has wayyy better hardware than anything else you can get on Verizon right now. I also played with the Moto X & Droid Maxx in store and the G2's overall smoothness, ability to run a bunch of apps at the same time, or lots of tabs in Chrome, etc is a noticeable improvement over those phones. Rock solid.

LG & Verizon's software layered on top of stock Android is not very good. I had to spend a couple hours getting the phone set up how I wanted. Now that I did that initial work I'm loving the phone.

If you want a nice clean Android experience right out of the box then this is probably not the phone for you. But if you're willing to do some tweaking it's worth it for the hardware. I've got some of my tweaks listed in the cons section.

Pros:
+ Great battery life. I'm a heavy user and at 1:30 pm on the first full day I've had the phone I'm at 74% battery.
+ Performance is fantastic, animations smooth, apps open quickly, multiple tabs in Chrome no problem, very stable. Compared to a Motorola Droid Maxx (VZW's other option with excellent battery) the G2 is noticeably better.
+ Awesome screen. Clear colors, good resolution. Compared to AMOLED it has much more natural colors but viewing angles aren't quite as wide. A fair tradeoff.
+ Super small bezels around the screen. It doesn't feel like a big phone. A little bigger than my old Galaxy Nexus but thinner and weight is fine.
+ Camera is quick, good amount of controls in the app, and takes quality pics.
+ LG's custom lock screen is kinda handy with customizable shortcuts, and you can still add widgets like stock Jellybean lock screen.

Cons:
- Buttons on back of the phone make waking it up a little tricky. The Verizon G2 has smaller buttons than all other variations of the phone.
- Knock-on feature is supposed to let you wake up screen with double-tap on screen when off but works maybe 2/3 of the time. Also lets you turn off screen with double-tap on empty part of screen but if not in LG launcher this only works if you tap status bar.
- Glossy plastic back is a fingerprint magnet.
- There's a junky looking sticker with the IMEI number on the back of the phone that is already getting ragged looking from 1 day of use. I'll probably take it off and stick it to the box (which already has the IMEI printed on it).
- Lots of Verizon & LG bloatware.
- LG launcher is pretty bad. Home screens are OK but the app drawer forces all the Verizon & LG bloatware to the first two pages and puts your installed apps after them. You can rearrange the installed apps but I couldn't find an option to sort them alphabetically. I ditched it for Nova Launcher.
- LG keyboard takes up too much screen real estate, replaced with Swype. If you don't want to spend $0.99 on Swype then download the stock Google keyboard.
- LG SMS app is very bad. Annoying popup notifications, and the message compose box in the conversation window is too big so with the keyboard up you barely see any of the conversation. Replaced with Chomp SMS.
- On-screen buttons (back, home, etc) let you customize layout but there's no option for a multitasking button. You're stuck with back, home and menu. It lets you add a button to open notification drawer if that sounds appealing to you. Can choose multiple themes but no plain black. There's a "black gradient" option but it stands out more than plain black buttons on Nexus & other devices.
- QSlide apps are pretty worthless and take up an extra row in notification drawer. Can get rid of it by editing the toggles in the notification drawer and checking the box for QSlide toggle, then toggle QSlide off.
- Can't take screen shots by pressing combo of hardware buttons. Would be tricky to do with buttons on the back so I guess LG took this feature out. Instead you have to use Quick Memo which is accessible on the toggles on the notification drawer. A bit fussy, but workable.

I know that seems like a lot of cons in a 5-star review, but again the hardware on the G2 is so much better than anything else on VZW right now that I'm ok recommending it as long as people know what they're getting into with the software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, September 15, 2013
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Pros:
Fast, no lag at all
Slim, not razor thin but not a brick either
Battery, easily last a day with heavy use and 2 with light to medium
Buttons, natural for me took a day to get used to
Screen, amazing color/crisp/sharp
Size, as big as you can get without making it a phablet
Camera, OIS really does make a difference
Headphone jack, IT'S ON THE BOTTOM!!!

Cons:
Knock on, doesn't work all the time sometimes needs to be taped 4+times

This phone really does leave the GS4 and One in the dust (Speakers & design wise the One is still better imo). This should be expected though with a phone running more advanced hardware. Overall I couldn't be happier and feel that my $600 (yes I bought off contract) was well worth it. This phone easily will get you through a full day of use (I'm on Verizon btw) if not more. I check my phone all the time, constantly stream music/video, and have yet to drop the battery below 40% in a day. Not sure if this is new to smartphones but this thing charges incredibly quickly too. From dead to full charge is probably in the 90 minute range, something I really like.

Only reason I wouldn't recommend this phone is if you have small hands...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Poor Interface, November 4, 2013
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
This is one of the most difficult reviews I have had to write on a product. The G2 is great and not so great all at the same time. I had a hard time deciding which phone to get and I spent hours in the Verizon store and Best Buy before finally dropping my cash on the G2. Undoubtedly the display on the G2 is in my opinion is far better than the other flagship phones out there and it is ultimately why I chose this phone. The internal specs speak for themselves and I can say that the G2 lives up to the hype as it is lightning fast and everything opens and loads quickly. On the flipside, I felt the software and UI were sub-par and the Knock-On to turn on the screen was sporadic at best and totally necessary with the button layout. The button layout definitely didn't work for me either, but a large part of the problem with the button layout was Verizon's tweaking of the design and the fact that the Knock-On rarely worked as advertised. Below are the different features in more detail and what was great and what was not so great.

Display = Great
I am not going to the list the specs of the display, I am just going to say that next to the S4 and Droid MAXX (the two other phones I considered) the G2 display looked far superior. The G2's display was sharp and crisp with really nice true colors, not too cool and not too warm, just right. The lack of a noticeable bezel just adds to the beauty of the display.

Build Quality = OK
I have read reviews online about the great build quality of the G2, but honestly the back is made up of cheap glossy plastic and compared to the MAXX, the G2's build quality was inferior. Having said that it is seamless plastic and once you put a case on it you won't see the plastic anyway. But, the MAXX was certainly superior to both the G2 and S4.

Camera = OK
The G2 camera is not nearly good as I expected. While fully customizable for more serious smartphone photographers, if you just want to pick up the phone and take a picture you will be severely disappointed. While I have been able to take some really nice macros, indoor, and outdoor pictures with the G2, it required manual adjustment of the camera. While I like being able to adjust everything from brightess to ISO, sometimes I just want to take the phone out and snap a quick shot and unfortunately that just doesn't work. Quite frankly the IA (intelligent auto as LG calls it) is a complete failure and really hindered what is an otherwise top notch smartphone camera. The camera itself is capable, just poorly executed with bad software. Don't even attempt to take a video as the camera jitters and constantly refocuses.

Software and UI = Bad
This was the killer for the G2. The Knock-On just doesn't work most of the time and it is a necessary feature since the button to wake the phone is on the back. The stock mail and message apps just don't live up to expectations either. Yes you can go to the Play Store and get your own apps to run this stuff, but it really feels like LG just didn't put much thought into the software side of things. The Notification and settings pulldown is just a mess until you remove the Q-Slide Apps, but even then the blank Q-Slide area just sits there taking up valuable space which could be used for useful features. Verizon and LG have decided to fill your phone up with unremovable bloatware as well, which just further enhances my dislike for the software. You can disable most of it, but it is time consuming and really frustrating that they are taking up valuable storage space on a phone with no SD slot.

It is not all bad though; the screen animations are smooth and look great. There are four styles of screen animations. You can run some high quality live wallpapers with animations maxed and it runs and looks great. It is really easy to customize folders and app icons with just the stock LG software.

Hardware = Really Good
The spec sheet says it all, Snapdragon 800, Adreno 330 Graphics, 2Gb Ram, good battery life, etc... There is no doubt the G2's internals are top notch. Apps and games look and run great. The first game I downloaded was Real Racing 3 and it loaded and ran smooth and fast and certainly looked great on that display. I get good 4G reception everywhere and my Wi-Fi range has increased dramatically. My local Starbucks' Wi-Fi is horrible and usually I just use my 4g in there. However, the first time I went in there with my G2 I noticed I could pick up the Verizon Store Wi-Fi and was able to use it while sipping on my coffee. What is truly amazing is that the Verizon store is on one end of the mini mall and the Starbucks is on the other and sandwiched in between is a Jimmy Johns and Cold Stone Creamery, so no doubt the Wi-Fi has some range. It's not all good though. The built in speakers are tinny and just plain bad. Even listening to calls on the speaker is horrible. Everything sounds muffled and voices really tinny. I don't expect anything great from smartphone speakers, but the G2 speakers border on unusable. Connections with an aux cable are equally bad and sound just doesn't come through very good. Ironically, the Bluetooth works great for both music and calls. I am not sure how that's possible other than cheap internal connections to the speaker and aux port, but listening to the same music through Bluetooth and the aux cable, the Bluetooth wins hands down. Finally, the Verizon version includes the ability to wirelessly charge your G2, something not available on other versions.

Edited 11/20/2013

It turns out the speakers lack of quality sound is due to the fact that the Verizon version does not have the stereo speakers found on every other version of the phone. I would guess that is the reason for the poor aux audio quality as well. The quality speakers were replaced to make space for the wireless charging. Nice job Verizon!

Design = OK
The front of the phone is an absolute winner with the bezelless display and beautiful screen. No physical buttons on the side or front add to the clean crisp look. Unfortunately, Verizon had to brand the G2 on front near the ear hole and take away somewhat from the clean look. LG also branded the phone on the bottom of the front, but it looks ok as it is centered and not too large. The back of the phone is simply cheap glossy plastic and the unique button combo on the back. Using the back buttons on the non-Verizon version is actually not a horrible experience, it is a rocker switch and the power button can be found easily. However, Verizon has sacrificed the original design, I would guess to add the wireless charging capability, and put cheap metallic plastic buttons that are indistinguishable to the touch and impossible to use without flipping the phone over to see what you are pressing. While it is a relatively large phone, I have no problem holding it with one hand and it feels good to hold. Small hands will definitely have an issue though, but it comes with the territory if you want a 5.2" screen. LG has done about as good as you could do to make the phone usable at this size.

Overall = OK
LG designed a spectacular and beautiful phone, but they should have spent a little more time on the interface, software, and could have used nicer materials in regards to the body of the phone. Much of what I don't like with this phone is due Verizon with the button change on the back, bloatware, and their ugly badge on the front of the phone. This phone can handle anything from a hardware standpoint and you can easily customize your home screen. The camera software stinks and unless you want to spend time setting up every shot, this isn't a very good smartphone camera experience.
It was a hard decision, but I have returned my G2 and will be looking elsewhere. The big killer for me was the camera functionality and the buttons on the Verizon version. I am stuck with Verizon due to coverage, so I am thinking the Droid Maxx might be my choice. I really wanted to like this phone, but in the end the interface was just a miss and ruined what could have been the phone to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Longer Addicted Looking For The Perfect Cell Phone Because Its In My Hand!, September 30, 2013
Length:: 6:51 Mins

i was a Sammy girl /HTC Chick for years, constantly bouncing back & forth between the two, but my last 4 phones have been all LG....the attention to detail LG and the "level of customization options" has used in the designing of this UI is simply amazing. It is so maddening that ppl keep calling LG a Samsung copycat. Truth be known, BOTH companies purchase many of their software designs from smaller companies such as Pantech. LG takes longer to implement them into their UI, therefore they work MUCH BETTER, so it may appear Samsung developed them first, however that is untrue.

If i could change ONE thing, it wouldn't be about the phone, it would be about ALL the criticism LG's UI has received from people who either haven't even laid eyes on it or ppl who do have the phone and haven't bothered to learn it....While YES there are a gabillion options, almost all can be ignored or disabled, & even EASILY replacing ANY icon you don't care for with a photo, image, etc. but YET are "there if you need them WITHOUT slowing down the system ONE iota!"...

At first glance it might appear as a "Touchwiz Copycat", but what i love so much about LG's implementation is that you really are not "stuck" with anything you don't like. It allows almost every option to either be removed, hidden, or disabled. Yes, it does take a little "hunting & learning", but is that so bad? There are tons of "how to" vids out there including mine (my bossytexaschick youtube channel) that make learning this phone, "a breeze"... : )

This video i made i had just woken up but it is just a small sample of all it can do, wanted touch on a couple of highlights regarding this device. I have been using it non-stop for 2 weeks, and I have to tell you, where normally the FIRST thing I do is d/l a replacement launcher, with this phone I have not had to. The one thing I really love is you have the option for 5 icons across screen, where Touchwiz only allows you 4. Upon further digging, I found so many options that equal or surpass replacement launchers, I just decided to keep its native launcher, and I love it. With using its own O/S, it has never once crashed or given me the familiar "loading" screen, everything flies, and I have it set up exactly as I would had I replaced the launcher....

I also put some customer images up (at top of product page)if your worried about fingerprints, look how great these custom skins from cell phone shop dot net look for about 10 bucks!

Another thing i have found... Before this i ALWAYS had to root, whether to improve battery life, improve performance, get rid of bloat, and a thousand other reasons... With this device, there is absolutely nothing i feel will gained by having root access...So why bother? That alwaus unnecessary stressed me out, and things always popped up, drivers missing, apps jacking up, some niggles with every custom rom i ever had, this phone running AS IS delivers a 100% satisfying Android experience : )

My TWO main concerns with this device were the fact that there was no removable battery and no removable SD card... well, here's how i've come to feel about that:

NO SD CARD- NO BIG DEAL! : With the "wireless storage" option in Settings, it will automatically assign a user name & password for you to type into Windows EXPLORER (not browser) and u can access, move, copy, paste files to you phone in a flash. That way you can easily keep your 24 GB that is available organized and not run out of space, without any hassles.

NO REMOVABLE BATTERY- WITH LG G2's ENDLESS BATTERY LIFE, WHO CARES! The battery life on this device is insane. I can hardly imagine it running out of battery regardless of a day's usage, and worst case you can keep a portable battery pack for emergencies, but trust me, it will collect dust!)

The buttons on the back take about 10 uses to get used to, and soon you will wish that design plus feature plus "knock on" feature were on everything! If knock on only works 3 out of 4 times for you, try always doing a "triple tap"... Turns a 95% success rate into a 99% rate : )

There are so many more PROS about this phone and truthfully I have not found even 1 negative, from price, to speed, to productivity, to screen size, to hand holdability, to convenience, to never getting hot, to ease of use, it ticks EVERY BOX!

Enjoy!

TGG

5.0 out of 5 stars LG G2 Gets My Vote for Best Phone Available in Q4 2013, December 10, 2013
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I own the LG G2 and it is a replacement for my nearly 2 year old Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The GNex was my second Nexus device and I was patiently awaiting the release of the Nexus 5, but after finding out it wouldn't come to Verizon (and I cannot switch carriers), I had to choose something else.

Coming from a Nexus device, I was used to (and preferred) stock Android. I have used many phones from other companies and never liked the additional bloat that the custom software did to Android. Being able to easily root and unlock my Nexus phone so that I could run any ROM or Kernel I wanted was a huge plus to me and it was hard for me to swallow the possibility of not being able to do it (at least not as easily) on a new phone.

Initially, I never considered the LG G2 as I thought the buttons on the back were gimmicky, and I did not know anyone with an LG branded phone (I know one person with a Nexus 4, but being a Nexus device trumps being an LG device). The front runner for me was the HTC One because of its metal body and great reviews. Others that I highly considered were the Droid Ultra and Maxx (for the better battery life).

As great as the HTC One is, I eliminated it as I wanted something with the fastest possible processor, and that meant a Snapdragon 800. I could not get over the 720p screen of the Droid phones, and since I valued battery life almost above any other spec, I decided on the LG G2, and boy, am I glad I did.

In terms of the best features of the phone, the battery life, hands down, is the headline feature here. Yes, LG does tell you its got a great battery, but they really should triumph this aspect of the phone more. Motorola is very quick to point out the huge 3500 mAH battery on the Droid Maxx, but this phone is pretty close even though its battery is slightly lower at 3000 mAH. In my own unscientific rundown test, the phone went from 100% charge down to 7% charge under moderate use in just over 42 hours. Under heavy use (lots of screen time and games playing), I can easily last a full day of 16 hours. Coming from a Galaxy Nexus (which admittedly had one of the worst battery times of any recent smartphone), this is a HUGE improvement to me and in my opinion, the single best feature of the G2.

You might think that having such a large battery would add to the bulk of this phone and that’s not true at all. Long gone are the days of thick and heavy phones. Even though this phone has the second largest battery of any non phablet phone out there, its surprisingly thin and light weight. This phone is both thinner and weighs less (5.04 oz according to LG) than my old Galaxy Nexus.

A note about charging this phone is that the phone is very particular about which charger you use. The phone requires a charger that can put out at least 1.8A in order to charge “normally”. Any less than this, and your phone will charge in “slow charge” mode, or possibly not even at all. Most USB chargers out there can only handle up to 1A or 1000mA. You need to either use the stock charger or one specifically designed for high current devices, otherwise the phone will take a very long time to fully charge.

This phone also supports wireless Qi charging right out of the box, which is a feature I haven’t been able to test (but I plan on it soon). Until very recently, most phones required that you replace the battery back plate, or insert something inside of the phone to enable wireless charging, but the Verizon version of the G2 supports it natively. All you need is a Qi charger. Verizon will sell you an LG branded charger, but its expensive, and if you look online, you can find ones that work just as well, for less.

My second favorite feature of the phone is it’s speed and buttery smooth performance. The quad-core Snapdragon 800 CPU and Adreno 330 GPU make for an amazing smartphone experience. This is all the more impressive considering these high-spec pieces of silicon do not negatively impact the battery as much as you would think. This phone handles the most graphically intense games like BADLAND, Anomaly, and Tapped Out (make your Springfield too big and this game will bring most lower end phones to their knees), without any slowdown. These games are fluid and speedy. Load times are within reason too. My biggest complaint with some modern games on lower end phones is they take way too long to load.

The high power of this device is appreciated for everyday tasks too. Simply using the phone and navigating the menus is extremely quick and responsive. When you tap something on the screen there is almost no delay. This is impressive considering the phone comes stock with Android 4.2.2 which is missing several of the optimizations that were made to Android 4.3 and 4.4 like TRIM support and resource improvement. If Android 4.4 runs smoothly on a low end smartphone like the Moto G, I cant wait to see what it will be like when LG releases the KitKat version (supposedly Q1 of 2014). Also, I am not sure if this is due to the faster processor, but I notice that wireless and LTE data transfer speeds are much higher on this phone than my Galaxy Nexus. When downloading large apps from the Play Store, or transferring files through my wireless network, I consistently get much faster rates than my old phone (I never took an actual benchmark).

A big reason I liked the HTC One was its beautiful metal and glass chassis. I’ve held many plastic phones (Im looking at you Samsung), and the phones creak in your hand and just feel cheap. This is one thing Apple does well with its iPhones. They have great build quality and feel really solid in your hand. I wonder why HTC is the only company to bring this level of quality to an Android phone. With that in mind though, LG does a really great job with this phone. Even though the back is plastic, it feels solid. The phone does not creak at all, and the three buttons on the back (more about this later) feel well made and high quality. Don’t let this phone’s plastic chassis turn you off. While its not as sexy as the metal bodied HTC One, it’s a step above the cheapness of most Samsung devices (yes I am aware that Samsung made the Galaxy Nexus, but I feel the GNex was also a step above most other Samsung phones).

Since we’re talking about the body of the phone, I’d like to talk about two topics that I see come up on a lot of phone sites. The first is the absence of expandable storage. The Verizon variant of this phone contains 32 GB of onboard storage. I believe other variants have only 16 GB. My old Galaxy Nexus also did not have expandable storage, and in the 2 years I had that phone, never once did I need more room. In this day and age where everything is stored “in the cloud” and we play music streaming over our networks, do you really need all that storage? Lets be honest here. Adding additional storage to your phones is probably something that less than 1% of people actually do. And in order to accomplish that, the manufacturers have to engineer a slot for the card, and add the necessary parts to do this, adding to the cost of the phone. Plus, the more accessible parts inside the phone, the easier dirt and moisture can get into the phone. I think 32 GB is more than enough for a phone and for the vast majority of you, not being able to swap out micro SD cards is not anything you will miss.

The second is the non-removable back case. You cannot access the battery on this phone like you can others. This would be a big deal if the battery on this phone didn't have the amazing life that it does. Gone are the days where you’d need to carry around a spare battery to help get you through a long day. This phone can last longer than most people would be awake in a day so there isn't the need to swap out the battery. Now, in 2+ years, if you are still using this phone, it is plausible the battery will start to lose some of its life, and there might be a need to replace it with a new battery, but lets be honest, how many of you keep a smartphone longer than 2 years? I read that LG’s decision to go with a non-removable battery was essential to allow for enough space to put the massive battery in the phone. I personally think that’s more than a fair trade-off to have a long lasting battery, if it means I cannot access it.

Now for the buttons on the back. I like that LG is trying something to differentiate themselves from everyone else out there, because quite simply, with the exception of the HTC One, most Android phones all look alike. Theres little in the way of design on these things, so I give them credit here. Also, the idea behind why the buttons are on the back does make sense. When you hold your phone, most people instinctively put at least one finger somewhere in the vicinity of where the rear buttons are on this phone. In practice though, how useful are they? Well I can tell you after owning this phone a month, I still don’t love the rear buttons, but I’ll admit, they don’t bother me as much as I had worried they would. What kills me though, is that Verizon went out of their way to make the power button on the Verizon version of the G2 be different from that of any other G2 out there. Verizon chose to make the button slim and smooth as opposed to wider and textured like that of the Sprint and International variants of the phone. Why would they do this? Considering you have to “feel” for the button, making the power button feel the same as the volume up and down buttons, is a real head scratcher. Yeah, they put two small plastic dimples on the power button, which helps, but that’s really not enough. I will say that getting a case for your phone like the Diztronic case help locate the buttons easier. And as I said before, after a while you’ll get used to them.

To help alleviate the need to constantly find the power button on the back. LG added a feature they call “Knock Knock” which allows you to wake the phone from slumber by tapping the screen twice. This was a very wise choice as it means you can wake the phone while its sitting face up on your desk without having to flip it over to press the power button. The downside is that “Knock Knock” doesn't always work. Sometimes you need to use “Knock Knock Knock”, sometimes “Knock Knock Knock Knock Knock Knock”, and even still, sometimes, I just give up and press the power button. You’ll get used to just tapping the screen until the phone responds. I assume this has to do with what software I have running on the phone, but its really a minor issue.

Back to the rear buttons, they’re neither a triumph nor a deal breaker. They’re just different. Like I said, I give LG credit for trying something new, but I really want to slap whoever at Verizon decided to change the button from every other G2 variant and make it harder to feel.

Another “button” related topic is the use of “soft keys” on the screen instead of physical buttons or capacitance buttons used by other manufacturers. Having a “soft key” means that there is no real button, but rather a piece of the screen is reserved for a button icon that when pressed, acts as if you pressed a real button. This is how the navigation buttons (back, home, menu) at the bottom work. Getting used to this on my Galaxy Nexus, I very much prefer this method. This was one of the reasons I chose not to go with any of the Motorola Droid phones or the HTC One as they all have physical buttons. Now, I know there are many people who hate the screen based soft keys, but I like that you can change the orientation of the buttons, and even in some cases, change what the buttons do. When a button is physically designed to be a part of the phone itself, you cant really change anything about it. Android is very customizable and not being able to change something as fundamental as the location of the back or home button is not the way it should be.

Next I’ll talk about the screen. My old Galaxy Nexus had an AMOLED screen and so do all of the current gen Motorola Droid phones. The G2 has a 5.2” 1080p LCD screen. There are a bunch of articles out there that go over the differences between the two technologies. Some prefer one over the other, and some are the other way around. I always preferred extremely bright and contrasty screens of AMOLED displays, along with their excellent viewing angles. LCD screens have more natural color reproduction, but don’t offer as true of blacks, and have slightly reduced viewing angles. Coming from an AMOLED screen to the LCD on the G2 was not a huge transition for me. The screen is still very bright, and viewing angles are “good enough”. Turn the phone to a slight angle and you do notice that the screen darkens. I would have preferred an AMOLED display on the G2, but that’s just my preference and definitely not a deal breaker.

The 5.2” screen size is wonderful. The Galaxy Nexus had a 4.7” screen which was huge at the time, and even though this phone is half an inch bigger, the bezel is thinner than phones from 2 generations ago, meaning that the overall size increase is negligible. In 2010, Dell was the first to release a 5” smartphone, called the Dell Streak and compared to other phones of the time, it was laughably big. That’s not the case with the G2. The 5.2” screen is still surprisingly easy to use one handed, even for people with averaged sized hands. Small people with dainty hands and short fingers will not be happy, but, Id say that the majority of people would not object to using the G2 one handed.

In addition to the almost all metal body of the HTC One, its other great feature are the front facing speakers. The HTC One claims to have the best audio quality of any smartphone on the market and while that may be true, the LG G2 has a bottom facing speaker that’s still pretty good. Playing music through the external speaker on my G2 is noticeably louder and clearer than that of my previous phone. Its not going to take the place of a full range stereo system, but its definitely clear enough for the occasional use as a loudspeaker while in the bathroom or something.

Audio quality of phone calls is good too. I find it interesting that some phones can actually have poor phone quality, since being a phone is actually what these devices are supposedly designed for in the first place. Audio quality is greatly affected by your network and signal quality, but on the Verizon network and near a major metropolitan area (Chicago), I have no complaints.

This phone has another feature like the HTC One that’s mostly gimmicky, but still cool, which is an IR blaster. This phone can be used like a remote control to turn on and control your TV and any other device that comes with an IR remote control. I was able to easily setup my phone to work with my Sony Bravia TV and Dish Network Hopper DVR. The downside to this feature is that the phone must be aimed perfectly straight at the device you want to control, otherwise it wont detect the IR signal, thus reducing some of the usefulness of this feature, but it comes in handy those times you got yourself all settled and comfortable on the couch, and then you realize the TV remote is on a table on the other side of the room. No need to get up, just use your phone! The G2 wont ever replace a dedicated remote like a Harmony or even the stock remotes that come with your TV, but it’s a nice backup feature.

While I don’t really put a lot of value in the camera on a smartphone, some people do, and I’ll admit, it is convenient to use your phone to take the occasional spontaneous picture of something. The camera on my old Galaxy Nexus was just OK, but the pictures looked like they came from a phone. I've read reviews of the cameras on other phones and every review always starts with “its great, but…” and this camera is no different, but at least the “buts” are getting less and less.

The specs of the cameras on this phone are 13 MP on the back and 2.1 MP on the front. This is a step up from most other phones out there that typically offer around an 8 MP rear camera and 1.2 MP up front. In well lit conditions, pictures from the rear camera are actually quite impressive. I’d say they’re at least as good as those taken from an entry level point and shoot camera. That’s not to say that a point and shoot camera cant still take better pictures, but the gap between a smartphone picture and a real camera picture is smaller and smaller.

The biggest weakness (as is common with most smartphone cameras) is low light performance. On the G2, low-light detail suffers as the ISO sensitivity goes up, but what really kills me is the slowness of the focus and light metering in low light. You can forget about trying to take a picture of a baby in a dark room as the phone takes several seconds to focus and meter, and even then, the results are just OK. Again, none of this is a dealbreaker as these characteristics are common of almost every smartphone camera even the HTC One which claims to offer better low-light quality with the use of their “ultra-pixels”.

This phone, like pretty much every other phone out there does not do optical zoom. All of the zooms are digital, which means you are essentially cropping and “interpolating” the image to give the illusion of zoom. This is fine for most of the things you would take a picture of with a phone.

LG adds quite a few cool little touches to the camera app that comes on the phone. My favorite is the ability to snap a picture by saying “Cheese” or “Whiskey” when taking a picture. This is especially useful for “selfies”. There are so many other third party camera apps out there that offer advanced features not typically available in a stock camera app, but I will have to say LG did a really nice job with theirs. It offers a lot of flexibility and photo-tweaking options. The stock LG camera app should be good for at least 95% of you out there. Add that to excellent daytime and well lit pictures, and you have yourself a really capable camera. After all, the best camera is always going to be the one you have with you.

The last thing I want to talk about is the software on this phone. This was one area that I really thought I would struggle with coming from a stock Android Nexus device. I have always hated all of the phone specific features (Touchwiz, Motoblur, Sense, etc) and was really worried that I would hate using the stock software on the LG.

This is perhaps the one area that impressed me the most. While this phone is no Nexus device, LG wisely allows a decent amount of customization of the stock UI. It allows you to change the appearance using Themes. These aren't the same themes that third party ROMs like Cyanogenmod allow, but if you search the Internet, you will find custom third party LG themes that can be applied. I found a KitKat theme that changes the icons (Phone, Contacts, App Drawer, etc) to look exactly the same as stock Android. There is even the ability to change the order of the stock navigation buttons (Back, Home, Menu).

In addition to this customization, I found that many of the LG apps were really quite well designed. The LG Dialer and Contacts works really well. There are several apps that support a feature LG calls QSlide which allow them to float over other apps like a window. You can bring up the dialer, IR Quickremote, or the calculator while in another app without closing it or completely switching running apps. Multi-tasking isn't something that is really totally necessary on a smartphone, but it works impressively well. LG enhances a lot of other small things like little popups showing incoming texts and the ability to accept or decline an incoming call without interrupting something else you were doing at the time.

There are many little tweaks to the Android system that LG made and I have to say that most of them work quite well. On my old Galaxy Nexus, I bounced between launchers on an almost regular basis, and although I have tried a couple on the G2, I have to say, the stock LG launcher is my preferred launcher as it actually adds value to the everyday use of the phone, unlike some of the gimmicks offered by other companies which just get in the way and needlessly take up system resources.

Finally, this being a Verizon phone, there is the usual slew of Verizon installed apps like NFL Mobile, Verizon Touchtones, Slacker Radio, etc that you cannot uninstall by default. Thankfully Android 4.2 allows you to disable these apps so they don’t show up in your app list. They’re still there, but at least you can make them “go away”. If you so desire, this phone is easily rooted (will void your warranty) and if you do that, you can use any uninstaller app to completely remove them from your phone.

Since I mentioned rooting, if you so choose to do this to your phone, I highly recommend you check out an app called ‘G2 Xposed’. That’s all I’ll say about that!

Lets recap with some bullet points:

Good:
Excellent battery life – one of the best out there
Buttery, liquid smooth performance and excellent gaming graphics
Beautiful high resolution screen (I prefer AMOLED, but that’s a nitpick)
LGs implementation of many stock Android features
Phone call quality
Fast data transfer speeds
Camera quality in good lighting
Solid build quality, especially considering the plastic body

Neither Good nor Bad:
The buttons on the back
IR Remote – Cool feature but not anything that I would miss if it wasn’t there
Adequate audio quality from the external speaker

Bad:
Verizon’s implementation of the ‘smooth’ power button
Verizon bloatware (at least its easily defeated)
Camera quality in poor lighting

So in a nutshell, is this phone perfect? No. There is not a phone out there that is perfect, nor most likely will there ever be. However, I have to say that right now, I feel that this is the best phone out there. There are things some other phones do a little better, but as a complete solution, and the fact that this phone is often sold for less than $100 under contract (today is Cyber Monday and its actually free today), makes it the clear winner over other phones like the Droid Maxx and Nexus 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Reasons to get the LG G2, not the Samsung S4 (rare for me to post something like this), November 21, 2013
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Note this is not comparing to the iPhone, because...well, why compare to such an obviously deficient device. So Samsung markets the S4 like crazy spending $$ marketing (just like Apple) and copying iPhone aesthetics (credit where credit is due). Whereas LG hardly markets at all, which is why the G2 is less recongnized...but the G2 is a better phone all around. I used the S4 for 10 days and exchanged it for the G2 yesterday.
#1 Reason: It's incredibly comfortable to hold and actually feels smaller in your hands despite... #2 Reason: a noticeably bigger screen. #3 Reason: Way better sound plus the speaker is at the bottom (much louder), which matters for me bc I watch Netflix on it. #4 Reason: No physical home button (why the h311 do I want to have to *push* something). #5 Reason: Power and volume buttons on the back. I don't miss the side controls, much better on the back. Plus the screen double tap to turn on...this will be on phones in the future. #6 Reason: Camera is better (optical image stabilization), as are the software features. This thing blows me away the things the camera can do. #7 Reason: Better (read: bigger) battery.
What do I miss? The white "style" of the S4...you'll get over this in about 10 minutes. Why did I exchange? History with 4G LTE still had me concerned with battery life, and the S4 had a removable battery I could potentially swap for an extended. So despite wanting the G2, I bought the S4 originally. After using the S4 I realized battery life on these phones are fine, so I thought about exchanging for the G2. When I found out the G2 cost $50 right now at Verizon vs $200+ for the S4, it was an easy decision. So yeah, in the exchange, after paying $35 restock fee, I had $130 returned to my card.
Oh, and it's the fastest phone on the market, surprisingly noticeable over the S4

5.0 out of 5 stars Unrivaled Speed, October 14, 2013
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and am a self-admitted Samsung brand loyalist. For years I stuck to their products but I could not gaze away from the LG G2. I love Android and am a stock purist, but even so I still went and picked up this beauty. The specs speak for themselves through buttery smooth swiping of widget-heavy home screens, stutter-free scrolling on websites, and lightning quick response on the camera app. It handles .mkv HD videos with ease and the brilliant screen is almost surreal -- a pure joy to look at.

None of that matters when you can't walk too far away from your charger; most standard phone batteries simply won't afford you the time. Rejoice! For that is not the case here. This phone packs a 3000mAh battery that lasts and lasts. A full day of watching bright screen videos, listening to music, playing silly games, and browsing all the cat blogs you could want.

If there's anything to post in the negative column then it would be the lack of packed-in headphones and the lack of a removable battery; although the latter feels like a moot point because it provides a day or two of use on a single charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars A huge phone or small phablet with unique take on button layout, October 9, 2013
Rocman (Durham, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I just got the new LG G2 for one of my family share lines, and I have to say I am pretty impressed with how much LG has improved since I last used their phone. Depending on your perspective, this is either a huge phone or a small phablet.

Pro:
-Fast processor
The G2 runs the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chip, which is a beast with its quadcore CPU at 2.26 Ghz and Adreno 330 graphics chip. This is the king of the hill SOC at the moment, with the possible exception of Apple's new A7 chip in the iPhone 5s. I experienced no lag in using the phone - animations in the user interface were all very smooth. Paired with 2GB of RAM, this phone should still be fairly powerful a year or two down the road.

-great screen
The screen has always been an important factor for me. After all, it's the main way I interact with the phone! The G2 doesn't disappoint with its huge 5.2" IPS LCD running at resolution of 1080p or 1920x1080. IPS panel technology is generally recognized to have superior color reproduction compared to the AMOLED screens Samsung uses in their Galaxy phones, which produce exaggerated/overly saturated colors. In addition, LCDs tend to be brighter than AMOLED screens, which comes in handy when using the phone outdoors in direct sunlight. And finally, IPS panels use the full RGB subpixel layout, as opposed to the pentile arrangements used by Samsung, which cheats by not using all three basic color subpixels for each pixel.

-thin bezel
LG was able to really cut down on the side bezels on this phone by moving the usual buttons to the back of the phone. Definitely the closest yet to the mythical "edge-to-edge" display thus far.

-innovative inclusion of Graphics RAM
LG implemented Graphics RAM (GRAM) in an effort to increase battery life. Basically, it's a small amount of memory that allows the phone to avoid waking up the main CPU for low stress tasks, such as when you're browsing and reading a long article, and there's no change to what's being displayed on-screen. The GRAM allows the LCD panel to self refresh instead of waking up the main CPU to do it, which requires more battery juice. Obviously this depends on your specific usage pattern, but judging from the phone's excellent battery life, I'd say it's probably helping in some way.

-great battery life
As someone who's been fortunate enough to have used multiple devices from Motorola, Samsung and HTC, I can definitely say that the G2 has the best battery life with the exception of the Moto Droid Maxx. It makes sense, since LG threw in a nice big 3000 mah battery, compared to the 3500 mah found in the Maxx. The GRAM is an unique feature specific to G2 which no doubt helps to prolong the battery life. Finally, the new Snapdragon 800 chip has additional power efficiency enhancements that's not found in the 600 series (used in the Samsung S4 and HTC One and host others). I am seriously impressed.

-13MP camera with optical image stabilization
The G2 is the second Android phone to come with optical image stabilization (OIS) - the first being the HTC One. This is very exciting to me, because as a photography enthusiast, I am happy to see features from the real cameras trickle down to the smartphone world. OIS helps to smooth out the jitters and vibrations, which are inevitable with smartphones. Nokia still has the best OIS in the smartphone world, although the HTC One comes pretty close, at least in the higher frequency vibrations. The G2 has comparable OIS performance to the HTC One, and its 13MP sensor is actually the Exmor RS sensor made by Sony, which is one of the better smartphone sensors currently on the market. Not a bad camera!

Cons:
-LG's android skin
To be honest, I've always thought LG's interpretation of Android is the worst of all the skins out there. It's cartoony, overly-flashy, and just ugly. It's like a drunk version of Samsung's Touchwiz, which I personally think is a pretty bad interface already. Good thing the phone is smooth. My previous experience with LG smartphone (the LG Spectrum series) was similar, except back then the LG phones were incredibly laggy and slow, they were borderline unusable.

-button layout
The buttons on the back takes some time to get used to. I am okay with it after a day or so, and I have no problem with it. But I could see some people potentially not liking it.

Also, the placement of the buttons on the back means the phone doesn't sit flush on the table when placed down. I thought this took away a little from the overall design.

-no microSD slot for memory expansion
The phone comes with 32GB with no way to expand. Personally I am okay with 32GB. I do clear out the phone periodically and also use cloud services like dropbox (woohoo still have the grandfathered unlimited data). It would've been better if it came with 64GB or more though.

- non-user-replaceable battery
The battery is sealed and you can't switch out batteries without taking the phone apart. With the nice 3000 mah capacity though, I don't see this as that big of a disadvantage.

- so-so speaker quality with bad placement
The G2 has a single speaker located at the bottom edge of the phone. There are two grills, but it's only one speaker inside. The quality is average - that is, it's blown away by the HTC's stereo "Boomsound" speakers. The biggest drawback however is its location. I found that I tend to muffle it with my palm in either landscape or portrait orientation. I have to make a conscious effort to hold the phone a certain way, which is somewhat awkward.

- "double tap" to turn on screen is somewhat hit-or-miss
LG has an interesting feature where you double tap the screen to wake the phone. In my experience, this doesn't work all the time. The failure rate is high enough that I've basically conditioned myself to always triple tap, and even then it sometimes still doesn't register.

-IR TV remote function somewhat barebone
LG threw in the IR remote function, first introduced by the HTC One and followed by the Samsung S4. However, LG's implementation is barebone - it works as the tv remote but doesn't include the extra like HTC with the cool channel guide, where you can search for a show or genre and just click on it, and the phone automatically changes the TV to the correct channel.

- build quality is okay, not great
LG follows its Korean brother Samsung in using cheap glossy plastic for its phones, and the G2 is no exception. The phone feels cheap to the touch and the glossy plastic is a fingerprint magnet. It's definitely no HTC One with its all-metal construction! Granted, a lot of people put phones in cases. But for me, I take my phones out of their cases when I am not out and about.

Overall, I am truly impressed by the G2. Gone are the days of laggy and slow user interfaces that defined LG phones. The battery life is great, and considering that the Droid Maxx costs $100 more, that just makes it even more impressive. My biggest turn-off is the LG user interface. It's just downright ugly. In the end, it's a great phone as long as you're okay with the UI, the phone's sheer size, cheap plasticy construction and unique button placement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Phone, More Impressive Display, October 11, 2013
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I had used my iPhone 4S for two years. I loved the 4S and I never had an issue with it. When it came time to get a new phone, I wanted something that met the following; larger screen, better battery, and nice camera. I'm typically pretty loyal to Apple because I've never had problems with their products and their integration is very user-friendly and easy to maintain. That said, like many users and investors, I wasn't blown away by the 5S during the keynote.

After going to various stores, I played around with the iPhone5S, HTC One, MotoX, Note2 and GS4. In two years, it's amazing how far phones have come. You really can't go wrong with any of these phones, though I found the MotoX to be lacking the most out of the group. If I hadn't chosen the G2, it would have been the S4 (just couldn't bring myself to buy Samsung). I chose the G2 because the screen is incredible. It's a massive HD screen, but it doesn't really feel like a "phablet" like the Note. The battery life is also extremely impressive. I've had the phone on full brightness and gone over two days without needing to charge it. On 60% brightness you can easily get through three days. The largest gripe I've read/heard about this phone is the power button being placed on the back of the phone. I agree, it's kind of strange and I still have a hard time hitting the correct button when I try to power off the phone. Luckily, there is an easy way around it. The "knock-on" feature is a game changer. When I bought the phone I thought it was more of a gimmick, but after using it consistently I've completely forgotten that there is a power button on the back. Just change the settings to turn off the device after "x" amount of seconds and you really don't need to have any buttons on this phone.

I was nervous about switching to an Android device after using iOS, but the switch is pretty easy and Android has become much more user-friendly in the last couple of years. I know a lot of people are in the same position I was after the last iPhone debut. I'm thrilled with my purchase and I'd highly recommend giving this phone a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, improvements to LG UI would make this a 100% winner, February 12, 2014
M. Kaainoa "Kekailoa" (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG G2, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
-Screen: Top tier. Previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy SII (GSII) and it seemed to have a blue tint when compared to an iPhone5 or my computer LCD. This screen is smooth and can go really bright, or really dim. Photos seem really clear, text is sharp and video looks fantastic. I have not had a problem with it being unresponsive to touch, even with screen protectors. Colors are more natural than with the old AMOLED screen, it is much easier to read in sunlight, and easier to take pictures in the day time because because visibility is a big plus.

-Camera: As a part time photographer, my expectations are high when it comes to cameras, so I will compare in context to lower end cameras and other smartphones, not replacing a high end camera. The Auto mode on this is better than my GSII, and overall the photos are quite clear. The GSII seemed to have a slightly better auto focus, both for video and photos. In a recent high contrast situation where I never had a problem with the GSII, the focus was hunting on this G2 for two taps, I almost missed the moment. Eventually it got the right idea and took a great photo. A few minutes later, in easier lighting conditions, I took about 6 photos in a row, the last three came out not in focus. A new feature is the autofocus tracking that this camera can do. My GSII couldn't, so the LG seemed to get a good lock on faces/people in light conditions that were not too challenging. Most camera phones now have HDR photo, so although it is not unique to the G2, it is a nice upgrade from the GSII which lacked the feature. If you're upgrading from a 2+ year older device, you will probably notice the differences in tech that have appeared in this phone. It is probably good enough to leave a cheap digital camera at home, however, an enthusiast would still prefer his or her DSLR of choice when the moment matters.

Size/Build Quality: On paper it seems like such a huge device, but in the hand, it is slightly heavy but I have no complaints. The size has not been an issue when coming from an older 4.5" screen device with way more bezel. I have lots of friends who are scared of plastic phones. My naked GSII survived numerous drops on asphalt and concrete with chips in the plastic and nothing broken. Naked iPhones that get dropped on hard surfaces usually don't fare as well in my friend's experience. This time, I will put the G2 in a case because I feel like I got overly lucky with the old phone not being destroyed by me dropping it. Love the headphone jack is on the bottom. It is an inconvenience to use the phone in the car with wires pointing in opposite directions when charging (Bluetooth would solve this, I know), and when on trips and using headphones while charging in my pocket, the wires come out the same direction. Love the no buttons on the edges. If I ever showed friends a video, they almost always grabbed the edge with the power button and turned off the phone, or held down one of the volume buttons. No more of that. No complaints about the buttons on the back, except I wish they were more spaced out or larger and farther away from the camera lens. A few mm or 1/4 inch would help tons. I hope they move this on future models.

-Software/Apps: I understand LG is trying to keep up with the Jones's and want to put anything and everything possible into the phone. So just judging the stock LG UI and the Samsung UI from the GSII, the Samsung had some nice quick shortcuts, the LG has some new to me shortucts... I wish they would let us go to stock and let us choose from the options they provide. However, I would give a nod to Samsung in the usefulness of their contacts and that it looked more like the phone was supposed to have the options, and the LG seems much plainer and starts to bring back memories of the Palm Pilot days, simple and straight forward and not as nice as the Samsung. The biggest LG improvement seems to be the adjustment of brightness and volume from the edges of the screen while playing a video file full screen. The animations are ok, there are more choices than the old Samsung, but I'm sure the newer Samsungs have lots of choices as well. I have been using the remote control app, works well enough. The KnockOn is a fine alternative to the power button, and the night mode to keep the phone silent is great. I know recent Samsung devices have lots of new features as well, so it may not be fair to compare my old phone to the new one, but the old one had some time saving shortcuts. Overall, it takes some investigating to find all the new tricks and tips of the new phone and since I am that kind of person then I will take the good with the bad and say that those who care will choose their own launcher or get a Nexus 5 and be done with it.

-MISC: Madden 25 looks like a whole different game than on the GSII, loads faster, and takes up more space. The 32GB is thankfully in one partition, unlike my GSII which required apps/games be in a tiny 2GB partition. Huge fail there. microSD card slot for tons of music and games, but it kept running out of space even when I attempted to move the apps over. Then the SD card slot itself failed so no cards work in it. So I don't mind Google pushing OEMs to not use removable SD card slots, but hope future version are available in 64 and 128GB sizes. 5Ghz AC wifi works fantastic. Not much of a speed difference between the farthest point in my house and in the same room as the router (or my house is not that big). Verizon device seems to have one speaker on the bottom, if you need better sound you should either 1) Design a .25" speaker that sounds better 2) Bring headphones or one of many high quality portable bluetooth speakers now one the market 3) Change your expectations on phone speakers. Verizon 4G LTE is significantly better than the Sprint WiMax I used to pay for, which I could spend hours describing, but will shorten it to say that battery life on this LTE device is worlds better than older models like the Droid Charge and that my home market has very poor Sprint coverage and good VZW LTE coverage, YMMV. Wireless charging (Qi) works fine, since they are a bit more expensive I will get one when I find a good deal, but I brought the phone into the VZW store to have them show me that it worked and it was fine, even through a number of cases they had in stock. There is a bit of fine tuning where on the charger you need to put it, unlike the old Palm Pre which just snapped into place (with magnets) on the charger base. Like most Verizon android phones, it has lots of Verizon branded apps which can't be uninstalled, nor will I find use for.

-Overall: Very happy with the upgrade, the physical phone is nice, the software is taking more getting used to than the buttons on the back for me. It is fast, the Snapdragon 800 is doing wonders when paired with LG's battery density tech they talked about. I'm sure many more people would be happy G2 owners if they stopped to look at it. I am removing one star for the somewhat crude appearance of the LG UI skin (when compared to stock android or Samsung UI). It seems like they will improve as time goes on, but this isn't their first android phone. I think it is fair to expect a lot when you buy a top tier phone, since phones I have used from Apple and Samsung had more "polish". The software complaints I have may seem like I am unsatisfied, but it was mainly the initial "oh, I guess that shortcut was Samsung only.... oh, I guess that only works on Samsung devices.... oh...I miss that shortcut..." that has caused my complaints. After a few days of usage, I have adjusted to the differences and the look. As long as the battery holds up for the next two years, then I'll be a happy G2 camper.

-Quick notes about the battery: Professional reviews have pointed out that Korean versions of this phone have a removable battery, but a smaller one, 2600mah versus the 3000mah on the American version. I am hoping the battery survives 2 years of heavy usage.

Bottom line is that it is fast, powerful and a great device with tons of features. User interface snobs will look elsewhere or choose their own skins. Now that the device is aging in the refresh cycle some great deals can be had, so for the price of a low end phone, this power house is a great deal. Battery life sets the current standard for android phones and the screen is difficult to fault, even if you put it side by side with all the latest phones.