5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Palm Projector for Presentations and CAD
Published on January 15, 2011 by geoform

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome toy when it works, terrible LG customer service
Published on December 8, 2011 by Frank White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Palm Projector for Presentations and CAD, January 15, 2011
This review is from: LG HX300G 1024x768 XGA 270 Lumens Ultra-Mobile LED Projector 2000:1 (Office Product)
I purchased the LG Hx300g for our local Vectorworks (CAD) user group. We use it to demonstrate CAD techniques and view drawings. Group members bring their own laptops (mostly a Mac group, but some PC users as well) and had no problems with linking to the projector. We were unanimously impressed with its bright clear image and its ability to display the fine detail of the CAD images. I should mention the projector was reasonably easy to focus since this is not mentioned in any of the reviews and it was difficult to achieve an accurate focus on many of the other pico and palm projectors I tried. The Hx300g features native XGA which allows us to display the higher screen resolutions from the laptops without losing much information. Many of the palm sized projectors have the ability to display at higher resolutions, but achieve it through digital processing. At the time of this review, I still haven't found another small LED-based projector with native XGA resolution and decent (270) lumen output so this is worth a look if you don't mind the price. I also tested it on Powerpoint and a number of other computer applications like SketchUp and the images were all clear with good color rendition. And I had the same good luck with HD movies using an HDMI cable to connect to a DVD player. I don't think the HDMI cable was provided with the projector, but it did come with a great carrying case which easily holds the projector (in a separate compartment) and all the cables and power cord/power brick. The projector does have a little adjustable front leg which worked great for leveling/aiming, but I would recommend a sturdy mini-tripod (not a gorilla pod though).

Note, the 1 watt (stereo) speakers were underpowered even if you're holding the projector in your hand, so you'll need a proper sound system if you want to hear movies or a webinar. My initial tests with the FM signal to wirelessly send sound to a radio didn't work out, but I should probably work on that a bit more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top mini projector - Afghanistan, March 4, 2011
Requirements:

Projector that was light, small and durable.
Long lamp life.
Good picture in darkened room for movies, TV - sports and gaming.

What I received:

Small box 30x30x10cm containing:
Projector
Sweet shoulder bag (handbag) that fits everything,
VGA cable
VGA-Component adapter cable
PSU- laptop type
Mid sized remote with batteries
Easy to use menu system

What I did upon unboxing:
Set it up in a semi darkened room = not too bad a picture for presentations. Would definatly need the nearest lights off when presenting.

Set it up in a darkened room with an Playstation 3 = Very impressed with the resolution. Displayed great colours with a 1.2m (diag) screen. Displayed good colours with a 2.5-3.0m screen. 4m screen still had a pretty good display.This was only on a matt white smooth wall.

Set it up under the top bunk, facing down the end of my bed onto a matt white board(1.3m throw)= 90-100cm 16:9 screen using the re-sizing options in the menu. With this setup (currenty serving in Afghanistan in a shared room)and with a blanket drapped to block light out, you can get a sweet hi-resolution image, and with the headphone o/p, you can view a movie in silence without bugging your mates.

Pros:
Small
30,000 hr LED bulb - afford to use as TV
1024x768 Resolution - good for movies and games
Remote
Included handbag to fit everything in
FM xmitter for audio
Easilly mountable with a standard tripos fitting on the bottom
USB i/p with inbuilt media player
Built in speaker (local area)

Cons:
Nil. Exactly what I wanted.

You won't be dissapointed with your purchase. Its worth spending that little bit extra to never replace a bulb.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome toy when it works, terrible LG customer service, December 8, 2011
I always wanted to buy a projector but never got around it (lamps were relatively expensive). The arrival of these LED projectors renewed my interest. I finally made the jump and I must admit it's the best toy I bought in a long time. I don't own a tv since I mostly watch movies on my laptop. Well, this is a huge improvement. Although skeptical at first, even my friends with large tvs were impressed. If you are a movie buff, this is a must-have. It's really like being at the movies at home. I just wish the image was a little bit sharper but I guess the next generation of LED projector will improve this.

Now let me complain about LG. My projector doesn't always start when I press the power button. It wasn't really noticeable when I first got the projector but it got worse and worse to the point where I am really worried that this thing is going to die soon. Since I have had it for less than a year and it isn't exactly cheap, it's rather disappointing. I contacted LG USA about this and was told that LG USA does no sell this product (even though it has a 2 year LG USA warranty in the box, and that it has labels from a LG USA warehouse on the box). They even accused me of lying saying that there was no LG address at this location (which is not true, I googled it). I was then told to contact LG UK. LG UK said that they couldn't do anything for me because I was in the US.

Basically just be aware that LG projectors are a grey market product in the US and that LG won't service it for you if it needs repair. If you bought it from Amazon or a trusted seller (which I strongly recommend), you might be able to get a replacement unit. If not, you are at a loss since you will never get LG to repair it from you. Considering how I got treated, I don't think that I am going to purchase from LG again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy with this, November 28, 2010
Pretty much the same as the LG HS201 I have, but better. Comes with a case and has a resolution 1024x768, my computer gives me options for up to 1600x1200, which makes it useable with a computer. The menus look about the same as the HS201, the remote is thicker. I uploaded some images if you want a better idea of what it's like. I have projected onto both a white wall and a tan wall with good results. I was surprised how white the color was on a tan wall. Picked it up for 625 so not a bad upgrade for the extra 125 you are getting a bag and better res, well worth it. I love the look of this and it is not too loud. This does have a bit of a screen door like the LG HS201 has but I never notice it unless I stand up next to the wall. If I was choosing between this and a 55" TV I'd get this. You can flip the image for rear projection as well as rotate it for ceiling mounting. Can't wait to get an iPad 2 and hook an HDMI into this. You can use an Apple TV with this, the audio goes through the HDMI so you have to use the headphone out for audio. I use this for wii, netflix, xbox, N64, pc games, mac and a TV tuner. I have a Pedco UltraPod II Lightweight Camera Tripod,
Sony SB-V40S A/V Selector with S-Video or Composite Video Connections (Manual switch for old school gaming and Digital TV box),
HDMI Switcher 3x1 Pigtail Cable (auto switch for Macbook, Apple TV, and Bluray)

Cheaper and lighter than a 16k 80" Plasma.

Note: -No zoom. Not a big issue, since unit is small and has a short throw. Also another model, LG HX350T comes with a build in TV tuner. I personally don't think it's worth the extra money, but I have not used it.

I'm not sure if this thing really can output this, but my computer lists these options:
720p
1344x1008
1600x1200

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little projector!, July 7, 2011
T. Reed (Land of Common Sense) - See all my reviews
300 lumens is definitely an underestimate when comparing this projector to the conventional sort. I have a 1100 lumen projector and I compared the two side by side. If the HX300G wasn't as bright as the 1100 lumen projector, it was a bit brighter. And the HX300G definitely had better colors. The colors were comparable to my RGB-LED backlit computer monitor (so, very good).

One thing I really like is that I can run this projector in 16:9 mode with it looking like a true widescreen projector. The black bars on top and bottom are dark enough that I couldn't see any light at all on my wall.

The noise level from the fan is very acceptable and you don't have to worry about cooling down the bulb after turning the projector off.

The file viewer worked great. I was able to play a variety of video formats (.avi, .mp4, .mkv, etc.) without any problems. I haven't tried the other files it's supposed to be able to open, but I'm guessing they work great as well.

The one qualm I have with this device is that the FM transmitter is next to worthless. I was looking forward to being able to transmit my audio wirelessly with a good antenna on my surround sound system, but things haven't worked out very well. The signal was very poor at any range, even with the antenna right next to the projector. Stereo would not work, but I was able to get mono sound out of it. I can get mono to work quite clearly within a few meters (only because of the good antenna), but I really need stereo for it to be a viable solution. Even though the FM transmitter is a problem, the HX300G still costs less than it's transmitter-less twin (HX301G), so I'm not counting this against it in the star rating.

Overall, it's a great projector with vivid colors at a good price, and I'm going to enjoy using it without having to worry about bulb replacements (at least until I manage to rack up about 30,000 hours on the thing).

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay projector., December 14, 2012
I've had this thing for about 23 months now.

It's hard to say how many hours I used with this thing, but it's probably been over 1000 hours. I was using it primarily for gaming and watching the occasional movie.

I bought this for the longevity of the LED technology, the shortcomings with this is that the projector is not as bright as other technology, and max resolution is not as good as others. For me, I can work around this.

In order to use this, being in a dark room is a must. You can't even use this in a somewhat dark room where daylight is leaking through window blinds, it's got be really dark in order for this to be tolerable. I was hoping the projector would be a little brighter, but it'll do.

My current setup I have the projector about 10 feet from my wall, which will create about a 110" image (widescreen). With a little tweaking, I can get a fairly good quality projection. It does a very good job playing movies and some computer games. It does well with first person shooters or games that do not require reading small text. When I try to play games such a The Old Republic or Baldur's Gate 2 or Dragon Age, it can be an eye strain to make out the small text.

The projector doesn't do as good a job web browsing with widescreen as it does with its native resolution. However using the zoom feature on the browsers (at least with Chrome) fixes the issue.

The device is somewhat loud, especially in cinema mode, but for me it wasn't that much of a deal. I've been ignore computer noises for a couple decades now, and this device is no different, it has become white noise to me.

***Important issue****
Almost a year into using this thing, the projector suddenly stopped turning on. The LEDs that light up the buttons on the projector would like light up for a couple seconds, then turn off completely again. I checked where the power cord plugs into the back and some reason the black plastic tip of the cord was slightly melted. When I tried to plug it back it, it wouldn't smoothly go back in. So something in that area probably got overheated and damaged.

It was still under warranty at the time, so I was able to send it to Huntsville Alabama for repair and got it back in about two weeks. Haven't had an issue since then. I haven't used it nearly as much these last 6 months because I was playing games that needed to be able to read very small text or just haven't been in the mood to play games.

The projector is satisfactory, but there's definitely better out there. I was definitely disappointed that the quality was just short of being able to play those RPGs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet little projector, August 5, 2012
I was given the task of arranging a "Swim-In-Movie" party for my daughter's 11th birthday. I ordered the LG HX300G 1024x768 XGA 270 Lumens Ultra-Mobile LED Projector 2000:1after reading about and researching quite a few different projectors. I took a shot with the LED projector even though it is still fairly new technology. I was not disappointed. The party went off without a hitch and the little projector made a big splash with the kids. I also purchased a Camp Chef Outdoor Entertainment Gear OS92 Indoor/Outdoor Movie Theater Screen that worked out perfectly for the occasion.

Pros:
1)The projector is very small and portable. (just slightly larger then a CD case)
2)Hook up was simple with either HDMI, USB or Composite cables. (I used composite from a DVD player with a separate audio out to an older boom box for the sound)
3)Beautiful vibrant color and excellent clarity. (I used a regular DVD player to show the movie there are quite a few different viewing modes you can use in the picture menu)
4)The picture is able to be adjusted for front or rear projection. (this was not readily evident in the product description or reviews that I read prior to my purchase)
5)Price. (at around $520.00 I feel it was on the low end of the mid-priced projectors)
6)It runs pretty quietly. (The fans run continuously but are not very loud)
7)It comes with a very nice carrying case that allows for storage of all of the cables and accessories.
8)LED projectors claim 30,000 hours of bulb life.(So far it is still working after 7 hours I'll let you know after another 29,993 hours how it holds up)

Cons:
1)You definitely need low light to view the picture. (I haven't tried it indoors yet but when we used it outside, the sun had to completely set before we could have a quality viewable picture)
2)There is no zoom feature.(this is not a huge negative if you have the ability to physically move the projector or screen to get the size image you need)
3)The audio you get from the unit itself is not loud enough to project any great distance and has inferior sound quality. (this is easily remedied with an external sound system of any type)

Overall I am very happy with the LG HX300G and would definitely recommend this projector to anyone that is interested in a portable light weight projector to use for an outdoor theater experience. I liked the fact that I could use both the Camp Chef Outdoor Entertainment Gear OS92 Indoor/Outdoor Movie Theater Screen and the LG HX300G 1024x768 XGA 270 Lumens Ultra-Mobile LED Projector 2000:1 as rear projection and keep the projector and electronic equipment away from the edge of the pool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! use it for RVing, May 31, 2011
S. Thomas (Vacaville CALI) - See all my reviews
We use this to show movies on the outside of our RV trailer. Looks great even before total darkness. Two minor complaints - FM transmitter, could not get any radio to pickup a signal farther out more than a few feet. Not very useful it appears. The ability to play movies (MKV, etc.) works well - except anything encoded with DTS sound. Anything with DTS will not have *any* sound - will show a error message (something like not supported, etc).

I would have paid more for a DTS version, as they would of had to pay a license for it. Would have 5 *s with DTS and maybe a stronger FM transmitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars best purchase ever!!!, December 21, 2013
got it up to 82 inches straight onto my wall. made a custom mount for it. wanna see it look for it on youtube under "donkeysponcho" all one word.

5.0 out of 5 stars ótimo, March 20, 2013
Muito boa a imagem para um dispositivo tão pequeno. Foi a melhor opção comparado com os outros do mercado. Ótimo custo benefício e tamanho

ARRAY(0x9e958804)