5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV set with amazing functionality
I got mine from a local store on sale for a little under $1600. That was about three weeks ago. And since then my entire family just can't get enough of it.

Picture quality is just great - and that's expected. But what amazes me is all the extra functionality with what this TV is packed.

1. Video streaming with Netflix. (It also has VUDU, YouTube,...
Published on August 5, 2010 by RZ

3.0 out of 5 stars Glass panel front is VERY reflective
The great picture and good viewing angles for an LCD/LED were the reasons I bought this for our living room. It did not disappoint with either picture quality or viewing angle. But the EXTREMELY reflective glass panel covering this beautiful TV made it virtually unwatchable even though it was angled away from the main window. The blacks were so black we could watch...
Published on August 18, 2010 by Bill in Virginia

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great color reproduction, some issues with the back lighting., November 19, 2010
This review is from: LG INFINIA 47LE8500 47-Inch 1080p 120 Hz Full LED Slim LCD HDTV with Internet Applications (Electronics)
Other reviewers have covered the features well. I hope to address areas that I felt weren't focused on by others. I'm happy with this, my first HDTV of this size. For me, this was an upgrade from a 25" 1080p LCD monitor. My input sources are:

Pioneer VSX-1120K AV receiver
TiVo Premier XL (service from Comcast HD and ATSC via OTA antenna)
XBox 360

First I'll speak of the applications embedded with the TV. I find myself surprised at how much I access them. I originally expected to use them sparingly, if at all.

Since I've had the LG 47LE8500 setup, I've had two firmware updates, so it's nice to see the manufacturer support the product. If you connect the unit to your network via. the built-in ethernet port, it will automatically check for firmware updates when you access the internet applications. I've not tested this with the optional wireless adapter, which I don't have nor need. Most firmware changes appear to be with the internet applications embedded with the unit: Netflix, VUDU, You Tube, Yahoo Widgets. All the applications work well. At the moment, the only application that supports 1080p with 5.1 Digital audio (via the TOSLINK, for me) is VUDU. I'm not sure if Netflix or YouTube will be updated in the future to support 1080p or 5.1 digital audio in the future. I believe Netflix has introduced a few clients capable of both, but with limited content supporting full HD. The highest supported resolution at the moment appears to be 720p for the LG installed Netflix app. Interestingly, despite having the Netflix and You Tube functionality duplicated on my TiVo Premier, I find it more convenient accessing them directly from the TV's implementation, sacrificing sound quality, just for the convenience of not having to turn on the other devices required to view the same content via. the TiVo. Since I have a TOSLink audio connection from the TV to my receiver, I can get better audio quality from these applications just by turning on the receiver, and muting the TV audio.

In my opinion, this is a well designed TV. There are plenty of input and output ports, it runs cool, and most importantly, the display is brilliant. The color reproduction is incredible, from my point of view. I haven't had it calibrated, but a simple image check with some blue lenses and a video calibration video resulted in no tweaks or adjustments required, other than setting the video mode to one of the LG provided configurations: THX/Cinema. The source for this test was the TiVo Premier connected via. HDMI through the Pioneer receiver.

The full local dimming feature of the TV makes for some incredible blacks in a fully darkened room. Unfortunately, I have observed a few instances where the back-lighting does bleed through. Possibly related to the full local dimming back-light implementation, I can see a horizontal banding effect apparent when displaying a screen of either white or blue/sky blue. This will probably be most visible watching Ice Hockey or scenes showing a lot of daytime sky. Since the bands appear to be static, I'm guessing it's related to the LED full array local dimming back-light. For me, this is a sufficient trade-off, for the brilliant color reproduction, and deep blacks.

Another source I have connected to the TV is a XBox 360 game console. For that input device, I needed a TV with flexibility to disable whatever display processing that might introduce input lag. I'm happy with this unit in that it has not appeared to introduce any discernible input lag when I disable the TruMotion or any video upscaling options on both the TV and AV receiver. I have noticed some audio/video sync issues with some television programs from the TiVo input source when I was playing with the TruMotion adjustment options in conjunction with the video processing features available on my receiver, but that's to be expected.

I'm very happy with the LG 47LE8500. I had very specific requirements going into my purchase. I researched my options extensively and came to the conclusion this TV met my requirements best, and I'm happy with that.

1.0 out of 5 stars VANN's Inc is a joke, May 22, 2012
television broke after one year of use. Was never offered a warranty or an extended warranty. This company does not offer a warranty past one year. I paid almost $1400 for this television, I would have got an extended warranty if offered one.

The television was nice whileit lasted, but VANN's Inc is a bad company to work with. I tried to be friendly and the staff was very rude, I don't think they realize I help pay some of their salary. Needless to say this company operates like the rest, once they get your money they have no use for you. PLEASE BE SMART, DO NOT SUPPORT THESE TYPES OF RETAILERS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this TV, February 10, 2011
I bought this TV from Amazon and it actually shipped from Vanns. I had been patiently waiting for the right TV at the right price to upgrade from my 5/6 year old Samsung 720p, 60 Hz DLP TV. (Lots of acronyms there) When Amazon/Vanns dropped the price of this 1080p/240Hz TV under $1,300, I knew the time was right. The shopping experience with Amazon and Vanns was superb. It arrived on time. It was heavier than expected, but the FedEx guy helped me bring it in the house and I gave him a tip for his extra effort. Set up was a breeze for me. It replaced a 50" DLP, so it is just a bit smaller. The TV has a plastic cover over the glass screen. I tried to get it off, but I think that it had been super glued in place. I called LG to make sure that it was supposed to come off as the manual never mentioned removing it. The lady told me it comes off easy. Well, easy must be a relative term because I could not get it off. I just set it up with the plastic in place. About a week later, a friend's son dropped by and said he thought he could get the plastic off. We took the TV down and placed it on cushions on the floor. He and I both were finally able to get the plastic off after about 30 minutes and a lot of sweat and muscle. I think pulling teeth may have been easier. However, once we reattached the TV without the plastic, I could not believe the picture quality. It was amazing!!!
The only audio out is digital optical so I never hooked that up since my TV is about 20 feet from the surround sound system. I play audio through a surround sound system with Klipsch speakers anyway, so who needs the TV sound. However, I did buy a couple of optical audio cables to connect from my Dish receiver and Blu-Ray player to my sound system. I am now seeing and hearing Dish content and Blu-Ray movies like never before. And the Super Bowl was incredible, commercials too!!! The picture is so clear that I never realized how much make-up news casters and TV/movie stars wear.
I absolutely love the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. It was the first movie I watched in Blu-Ray on this amazing TV with the digital optical audio. It was like I had never seen these movies before!!
I am one happy camper, although I probably should have gone to the zoo to get a Gorilla to remove that plastic cover. I highly recommend this TV as long as you can remove the cover. I would buy another one if I had a place to put it and could get my friend's son to peel the plastic off!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV overall, but not without cons, February 3, 2011
I'm not a TV expert by any means but I did my research before buying this TV. This pretty much gives you what most reviews have said about this. The picture quality is amazing, the controls are easy, and the swivel base is very useful for connecting things behind the TV. The bad piece is that the TV is extremely reflective. You will want to watch your darker movies at night with the lights turned off. Another bad piece is that LG supplies really poor screws for the base. I had read enough about this that I was very careful putting it together, but the screws strip very easily. Also, just FYI, this TV is much heavier than its 47inch LG counterparts. The only thing I could think of was that LED local dimming makes the TV heavier than the edge lit TVs but like I said I'm not a TV expert :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, January 22, 2011
I had done research on many LED-LCD HDTVs before deciding on this one. To be candid, the reason I got this one was primarily around the price for the features. I was pleasantly surprised that I could get this TV for less than some of the others, Samsung, in my wish list. This had features that the more expensive TVs did not such as 240Hz and Internet connectivity.

The seller is a company called Vann's and I was very happy with their customer service rep. I had wanted the TV expedited and I called them to work out the details. They refunded the extra money when they told me they only ship via ground. At first I was disappointed, but then pleased when they indicated it would still arrive within 3 days. The TV arrived right on time and FedEx had called the day before to let me know it would arrive the next day. The box had another larger box with padding to protect the TV - very nice touch. I would definitely order from Vann's again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV but......, December 14, 2010
Mike K (Washington) - See all my reviews
I am extremely happy with the video performance of this TV but the shiny screen will bother many viewers that do not have complete control over room lighting. This is not a big problem for me but I do have one major complaint about the design. The panel is thin and would normally look great on a wall but most of the inputs face to the rear. Wall mounting makes these inputs useless unless you create a fairly deep cavity in the wall to allow plugs to be connected. It would have made far more sense to face most of the inputs to the side or preferably down to make wall mounting more practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plasma like picture quality, November 24, 2010
You want a plasma like picture than go with this LG 8500, it's got the best true color picture. All the other LED TV's I have tried all look fake, the red and blue are so in your face that it takes away what the picture should look like. Yes, this does have a glare due to the glass screen so make sure you don't put it next to a window or a lamp. I have noticed that less expensive LCD TV's don't have this reflection, check out the plasma TV's. I like the Samsungs but the shadow detail just wasn't there, you adjust and it made everything else lighter. The LG has plenty of fixed picture selections which I liked because I want to buy a TV and turn it on and watch it and not have to worry about spending another couple hundred dollars to calibrate it, what a scam 'BEST BUY'. One thing to look out for the new LG LX9500 just has the 3-D feature and is not worth the huge price increase, it's the same TV as the LG LE8500. The TV is very heavy so be careful and have someone help you hang it or just getting it out of the box. The sound sucks like all 10 watt LED TV's do, buy a sound bar they come in so many sizes now. Compare the specs you are getting a lot of TV with this LG and if your worried about quality just buy the extended LG service plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, October 26, 2010
We have been considering a new HD television for some time and when the LG came on sale including the surround Home Theater system it was too good to pass up. We are extremely satisfied with the quality of the picture and the sound system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great LED TV, August 23, 2010
You know you have made a good purchase when your TV looks almost better off than on. The design of this thing is great. Slim and monolithic. The single sheet of glass design is awesome. It does produce some glare, although not horrible. The worst part about this TV is the speakers. They are just not up to snuff but then again there are few TV's that are. A simple sound bar solved this problem (SONY HTC-150). Love the streaming netflix. The image quality is amazing. The only way to compare it is like going from an iPhone 3G screen to the retina display of the iPhone 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put my money where my mouth (keyboard) is., September 1, 2011
Did A LOT of research prior to purchasing this unit. Long story short everything I read pointed me to this unit. I then checked the unit and setup at many locations until I finally pulled the trigger. The main concern I had prior to purchasing this unit was the glare that I observed as well as is documented in other product reviews on this unit. This is a result of the solid glass panel which covers the entire screen. In a room where light can be controlled, such as my office this is a non issue. However if you have a bright room (lots of windows) DO NOT BUY THIS TV unless you want to watch only at night. If, on the other hand, there is not much ambient light entering your room this TV will reward you with the best picture quality and fps of any TV in its class. The knock I have on it which is not worth of a star deduction is that it does not have built in Wifi o be ready to purchase a LG USB dongle for between $30-$70. I was so satisfied with this TV's performance that I bought one as a Christmas gift for my folks. Be advised this panel is not 3D (which I believe to a be a gimmick for rubes) and only goes up in size to 55". It took it out of the running for my replacement as my main home theater screen as I wanted a 65" or above LED or Plasma.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›