Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

VINE VOICEon June 28, 2012
I couldn't be more happy with this monitor. The picture is outstanding - the colors are accurate, black is nice and deep all with way to the edges. The screen is very bright even when brightness is set to less than 100% (100% is the default setting).

I'm using this monitor as a 2nd monitor - it uses 1/3 the power of the old LCD monitor it sits next to (33W vs 100W) yet is just as bright. There is an option in the settings to enable "Super Energy Saving" which further reduces power consumption by an additional 5W, but that mode has a noticable effect on image color so I leave it off (the default setting). If I was using this monitor mostly for viewing text then I probably wouldn't notice any difference.

In addition to using this as a second monitor I also have it oriented in portrait mode which is where an IPS monitor really pays off. This monitor has a viewing angle of 178º both horizonally and vertically allowing me to see the screen in any orientation...and I don't have to be sitting up straight in my chair either.

A word on portrait orientation: the monitor's stand is limited to landscape orientation but the monitor does have VESA mounting holes on the back. I purchased a mounting arm for my desk (Neo-Flex LCD Arm) to place and orient the monitor exactly where I wanted. I determined it was cheaper to get a really good monitor and mounting arm than to buy a really good monitor with a stand that allows the screen to rotate.

One nice detail - the monitor comes with the factory quality assurance report. I've never purchased a monitor or television that came with its QA report. I like knowing that the monitor was tested before leaving the factory and seeing the graphs showing how my monitor met specifications.

If you're looking for an excellent, affordable IPS monitor (without extra junk like speakers) then I highly recommend this monitor.
on June 7, 2012
I was nervous about ordering this one because it's hard to find any reviews, but I'm glad I did. I liked the first one so much that I ordered another.

I have no complaints with either of them and it's nice that you can get a decent IPS monitor for this price. I lucked out and got it when it was on sale for $159, but even the regular price is more than fair for what you get.

Another plus to ordering it from Amazon is that they double-box it and fill the space with those little airbags. Other places I've ordered monitors from just slap the label right on the monitor box and ship it as is.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 25, 2012
This 21.5" (visible) LED IPS LCD computer monitor has a very cheap price and a very excellent display quality. The plastic of the case and the stand is very fragile and light, it feels cheap, but it has an excellent glossy termination. So as its stand is VESA compliant, it can be changed with any other VESA complaint stand, for example, a strong one. The case is not a problem for me, computer monitors aren't made for constantly moving them around or smashing them. Only two ports: one DVI and a D-sub one, but neither a problem, because you can buy a DVI to HDMI cable. It doesn't have speakers, but who needs a pair of cheap speakers and without even a subwoofer: not me. It has a maximum screen resolution of 1920x1080 @ 60hz (native), just enough for a regular guy like me. All these little details lower the price, but don't let these fool you, because these are a part on why it's a great deal.

The other essential half on why it's a great deal. The whole quality is in the screen: the excellent IPS-panel technology (much higher viewing angles), factory-calibrated (which gives you industrial colour accuracy; excellent for graphic design, photo and video edition), excellent contrast with beautiful whites and blacks, truly fast response (it works great with games and video reproduction with high FPS), sharp enough to give high rich detailed images, just the exact size and maximum resolution for Full HD (1080p). The model I bought was the LG IPS225t, the 22-inch one.

Conclusion: the best equilibrium between a low price and a stunning quality display: a great deal.

Only con: I would had given five stars, if only it had a stronger stand (as previously said).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 19, 2012
If you're a serious amateur photographer, you rely on your monitor for making decisions while you edit your pictures. If your monitor has inaccuracies, you will tend to edit pics to make up for them. So you really need a calibrated monitor. You can try to do it yourself, using the various display patterns available on the 'net (that's what I have done until now, and generally got things pretty close in the upper 75% of the gamma curve). You can pay someone to come on-site and do it, or buy the equipment needed to do it. Both are expensive. So buying a calibrated monitor makes the most sense.

Until I came across the LG monitors with IPS LED panels, the cheapest calibrated monitor I saw was in the $300-400 range. So finding one at $160 is an absolute bargain.

My IPS225 came with calibration curves, plotting gamma, color temp variation, and color difference, all versus gray step (0-255) The accuracy is really quite amazing. If, like me, you've never had a calibrated monitor, it is a huge step up, allowing you to make visual determinations with confidence. Colors and clarity are superb.

It's been a while since I have written a raving-positive review of anything. This monitor fully deserves it. I am pretty convinced that, for someone who isn't going to get their monitor calibrated, the LG IPS panels are easily the best choice out there. Use the factory-default setting, set the brightness to match the ambient light level, and that's all there is to it. There are plenty of things to tweak if you want, but it's easy to come back to the calibrated setting; just use the "reset" function, readjust the brightness, and you're good to go.
on July 21, 2012
So I've had these nearly a month now. I bought 2 for a dual screen set up. The color between the two is different on the same settings, and I couldn't change the finer RGB values, even though there is an option to.

The drivers on the CD will not install on Windows 7 x64, though I don't know why I'd need the drivers for the monitors anyway. My graphics card seems to work just fine with them.

I've noticed some color fading around the edges. If I put something completely white at full screen. Some edges seem slightly blue-ish.

Like someone else said, they do have somewhat flimsy stands.

They're not terrible, but I'm sure you can find much better for the price.

Update: I'm returning these for a different brand and model.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2012
I shoot with a DSLR (60D, 5D MK III), and when shutterfly had a special on large prints, I jumped at the chance to print 20x30 inch copies of some of my high resolution skyline shots. I had initially purchased this because I wanted accurate color reproduction in the event I printed any of the pictures I take, and also, because an Asus monitor (standard LED LCD, in its defense) was showing horrible banding issues in various pictures. That same Asus, when put next to this LG, just isn't even in the same league. The colors are so much deeper and richer, the Asus kind of looks uneven and washed out compared to this LG IPS.

The color on the 20x30 inch prints? Spot on to what I was seeing on this monitor. Granted, I had setup all color profiles in Lightroom, Photoshop, etc., so that in any given software application I edited the picture in, it was using a standardized color profile - which you would have to do if you were expecting to maintain your color profiles anyway.

The price, considering the cost of other IPS monitors out there at the moment, is very substantial.

Someone complained about there being no profile for this monitor. You have to install it from the CD. I tried to find just a profile file online, and that is a big no can do. But it is on the CD - and must be installed from the CD.

Did not have to be calibrated at all. It was spot on from screen to print (allowing for correct setup of color profiles).

Not good for close work, or it looks grainy. I sit with my head within a foot, foot and a half and it's fine. Up close, it would make anything look like it had a lot of noise from high ISO in it.
on March 26, 2014
The factory "calibration" differs dramatically on these. I got two and both display very different colors. Even with adjustment, they are still different. Maybe it is the backlight on one of them. Nice thin bezel. 100mm VESA mount. Got both mine for 119 and 6 months apart. Don't overpay. No ghosting.

Cons - Wiggles when hit. the two I got are at different heights (off by .5mm). I just put some folded paper to raise one. One of them shipped without the screw to attach the base. I just used one I had laying around instead. The led flashed at night VERY BRIGHTLY if the monitors are on. I covered up the LEDs with two layers of duct tape. This is inconspicuous if done properly and helps with the light. Stand is a little big, but not too noticeable.
on April 5, 2013
I bought two of these to replace my old 19" fluorescent LCD monitors. I won't go into detail here about why LED backlighting is better (ask Google), but I'll never buy another monitor without LED backlighting again.

I like the relatively small bezel, no speakers (monitor speakers always sound crappy anyway), and the fact that you can turn off the power indicator light is a plus for me!

Sadly, it appears these have been discontinued. What a shame- I would have bought more.
on February 23, 2013
Great buy for a solid monitor. As expected for an IPS monitor, the image is uniform through a wide range of viewing angles. Good by to my old flickering off-color monitor.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Super crisp, super bright. I've been using this new monitor for about a month now, and I love it. I have poor eyesight, so I was looking for a high contrast, bright monitor, and this thing really delivers.