4.0 out of 5 stars My prefered brand is LG, this fridge has just one problem
Published on November 24, 2011 by Mark L. Witt

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, if only it was functional
First of all, the good part: This fridge is a gorgeous piece of kitchenware. The stainless steel looks stunning next to my oak cabinets, and I've gotten quite a few compliments.

However, it's functionality does not live up to its fabulous facade.

So, here are the bad parts:

The water dispenser is separate from and placed above the ice...
Published on November 15, 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, if only it was functional, November 15, 2011

However, it's functionality does not live up to its fabulous facade.

So, here are the bad parts:

The water dispenser is separate from and placed above the ice dispenser, so that the drip tray (even if extended) will not catch any excess water sloshed about. It also confuses anyone new to the fridge and you'll end with water all over your floor. We've started keeping water in pitchers when we host parties to prevent this. Still, we inevitably end up having to hand out towels to at least one unfortunate soul.

The ice maker is horrible. The ice cubes stick together constantly, so that you have to bang on it a bit. Plus, we've already had to call and get someone to come out and put in a new ice cube tray when ours got stuck mid-rotation and started making strange grinding noises. Keep in mind, this occurred about 4 weeks after we purchased the fridge. The repairman said it was something about the way the doors close that caused all the problems with the ice cube maker. He said we wouldn't have problems if we didn't open both the doors at once. However, to access the bottom produce drawer, you have to open both doors.

The freezer holds a lot less than our old GE fridge (which was comparably much smaller in size). I'm not quite sure why.

The fridge cools unequally (more so than any other fridge I've ever owned or heard of). I've found that the upper part of the refrigerator actually gets quite warm, and anything placed there will go bad rather quickly. I'm not talking about a bit more warm, but the sort of hot-to-warm temperature that will encourage even preserved foods to sour. If I lower the temperature of the refrigerator to the point where things will keep relatively well on those upper shelves, the vegetables and fruits in the bins at the bottom of the refrigerator freeze.

The energy saver temperatures kept my ice cream melty and made my squash go bad.

The stainless steel looks great, but you can see every fingerprint. It's also horrible to clean. Windex or water will leave streaks. You have to rub them off with a microfiber towel or get a special stainless steel cleaner.

2.0 out of 5 stars My gut told me to go with Samsung, and I should've listened., April 3, 2013
W. Church (Chesapeake, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Most of my reviews are generally favorable, but, then, there's our LG experience... The other reviewers who have cited multiple design and functionality flaws surrounding the icemaker/water dispenser, (left) door mullion, and extraordinarily fragile finish were all spot on. Ironically, I must admit that we had actually researched new refrigerators pretty thoroughly, and had read some of these very criticisms before we bought LG, yet we bought LG anyway (from Home Depot), thinking those who'd made negative comments were merely experiencing buyers remorse, or just had an axe to grind. But, as we, too, have sadly learned over the past year we've owned it, the LG LFX28978ST refrigerator, while beautiful to look at, definitely has some functionality issues. I've simply had to condition myself to working around the product's shortcomings, such as the left door mullion regularly getting out of position and failing to go back into its channel, thus, very often not fully closing (thankfully, the "nagging" buzzer sounds after a minute or two to alert you that the door is ajar); the icemaker that fails to work properly if not used for more than a day (promptly resulting in dependably clumped-together ice cubes) often causing me to remove and beat on the side of the ice container like a madman!), and the weird water tap that causes most users to dispense water all over the floor; well, you get the picture. Oh, and then there's the insanely expensive water filter replacement (every six months) that makes one feel as though one is buying the appliance all over again... Interestingly, when I contacted LG regarding the flawed door mullion design, they seemed totally incredulous and failed to acknowledge the existence of any problem, informing me that those part(s) were no longer covered under their apparently very extremely limited warranty, and that the cost to replace/repair (with the home service call AND labor charges) would exceed some $300, I told them "uh, no thanks, we'll just CONTINUE to live with it." I can only imagine what a real refrigeration system component repair will cost when the inevitable failure does occur, but, knock on wood, I haven't experienced that joy - yet. Thankfully, we had the presence of mind to buy multi-year extended coverage for those critical components. We bought matching LG stainless steel refrigerator and electric range, and both appliances have a finish that mars, dents, and scratches if you merely stare at them for longer than ten seconds, it seems. DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT EVER ACCIDENTALLY SPLASH ANY KIND OF FLOOR CLEANING PRODUCT that is even remotely caustic on your LG (or other) stainless steel appliance's finish, however slight, as it will be ruined. It is totally unforgiving. Other than these issues, we love the appliances, but would definitely NEVER buy another LG product, based on poor customer support, alone. Frankly, I expected much better performance and support, given the premium we paid for the LG refrigerator. I should've gone with my gut when it told me to buy the Samsung units we passed on. Hindsight- ain't it always 20-20!

4.0 out of 5 stars My prefered brand is LG, this fridge has just one problem, November 24, 2011
I like the way this fridge looks, and like all stainless appliances it shows streaks and finger prints, but it's worth it to me. If you are troubeled by that issue, don't by anything stainless. That isn't LGs fault, it's just a fact of the finish. I like that I can easily place a half sheet pan on any shelf and the fact that there are four separate drawers. All fridges are warmest at the top, so store less perishiable things up there.

It doesn't make huge amounts of ice, and the cubes are really small, but I don't have a large family so it isn't a problem for me. What is a problem is the way the left door closes. It is easy to have the mullion not go into it's channel, leaving the door open about an inch. It's true that it will beep after a minute or so, but if you grabbed your lunch out of the fridge on your way out the door, it will just beep all day and the fridge will be about 50 degrees on your return. Because I have never owned a french door fridge, I don't know if any other manufacturers have this problem. Could be a challenge for all of them.

I wouldn't recommend this fridge if you have children getting in and out of it for the above reason. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy this same model, even with the mullion problem. I just keep my lunch behind the right hand door now.

3.0 out of 5 stars We're lukewarm about this refrigerator., August 14, 2011
This review is from: LG LFX28978 28 Cubic Foot French Door Refrigerator with Tall Ice & Water Dispensing System, White (Misc.)
There are several things about this refrigerator that we like:

- The unit is very quiet.
- The icemaker is compact.
- The design of the freezer makes it easy to get things out.

There are also a few things that we don't like:

- Each shelf has a bar, possibly present to provide extra strength, located near the front about 1 inch below the upper surface of the shelf. This bar makes a certain amount of space effectively unusable (on every shelf except the top ones). I've never seen shelves this like on any other refrigerator. When I queried the manufacturer to find out whether one can purchase shelves that don't have this bar, I was told that one cannot.

- The small shelves that go on the inside of the door are adjustable, but there are only a few pairs of locking detents, and consequently we can't position these shelves as we would wish. It isn't clear why the designers didn't provide locking detents in more locations.

- The LED lighting assembly near the top of the fridge protrudes downwards 24-25 mm (almost a full inch), making it difficult to use the space on the top shelves. As an electrical engineer, I can't see any reason why the lighting assembly should be so thick. Allowing 1 mm for the circuit board, 1 mm for the plastic cover, and 4 mm for the LEDs, it should have been possible to package this with a total thickness of about 6 mm.

Overall, we're lukewarm about this refrigerator.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Refrigerator - Horrible Ice Make & Water Dispenser, September 4, 2012
If I were only grading the refrigerator and freezer, this would have five stars. We seem to have much better temperature control than we had with our 6-year old side-by-side Kenmore. Our produce and deli meats seem to stay fresh longer. Our milk stays cold but does not freeze. Guess you can tell why we ditched the Kenmore!

HOWEVER, the ice maker is slow and of low capacity. Perhaps four glasses of ice water is all you'll get at one time. If you don't use the ice maker for two or three days, the ice all sticks together and the dispenser won't dispense ice at all - very annoying. Then you have to dump the ice container into the sink and start over. The water dispenser is even worse. While I appreciate the idea that this is supposed to make filling a pitcher possible, we get water on the floor all the time - even family members that use it frequently. We also have a lot of guests, and when they use the water dispenser, we see a puddle on the floor 100% of the time, until they've used it three or four times.

The ice maker and water dispenser absolutely are completely annoying - extremely poor design (water dispenser) and engineering (ice make and dispenser) - so much so that this otherwise fine product may not last as long as the Kenmore in our home. One star for the ice maker/dispenser and water dispenser gets no stars at all.

As far as noise goes - this unit is very quiet, except that it has a very low frequency, and noticable, hum. Four stars for noise.

Finally - while the water filter seems to work really well, the price of the water filter is way out of line - approximately $35. The manufacturing cost of this should be under $1 - shame on LG for their pricing! One star for the filter price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but Useless, February 22, 2012
Linda Darensbourg (BATON ROUGE, LA, US) - See all my reviews
I purchased this fridge one month ago. I have had a service person in my home five times and it is still not working properly. My unit will not cool properly, when the tech placed a thermometer in the unit it shows a temp of 45 degrees, eventhough I have lowered the controll to 33 degrees. I spoke with the service company today and was informed that a mother board is being order for my unit. LG told me that they would call me as soon as they had spoken with the technican. I am still waiting on that call. Since having this problem I have research this unit and found alot of bad reviews for the unit and LG. My sister-in-law bought the 31 cubic ft. and had to return it because of problems. One good thing is I did buy the extended warranty from the company where I purchased unit. Save your money and time do not purchase this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Refrigerator!, April 29, 2012
Spats (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
I have owned this refrigerator for a couple of years now, and it has been wonderful. No trouble at all, keeps food very cold. I like the French Doors, very usable space. The interior is beautiful with the LED lighting. The Linear Compressor is very quiet and has a ten year warranty. Ice output is moderate, but I knew that going in. It is OK for my use. My old refer would freeze my eggs. This one has no problems like that. I can say without reservation that this is the best refrigerator that I have ever owned! I also own an LG Washer and Dryer and they have been working away trouble free for 5 years now. My LG Stove has also been great, some trouble with the capacitive touch control panel, but LG service replaced it with out a problem. For me anyway, I like all the LG appliances that I own and have no regrets about buying any of them. I think people are most likely to write a review if they have a bad experience than if they have a good experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money - don't buy, November 10, 2011
My fancy LG refrigerator turned into an Easy Bake over the weekend due to board failure which permitted lights inside to stay on. Apparently LG has a "service bulletin" on the issue but does not believe in warning consumers (why did I register product?) and will only acknowledge problem after you call and ask them for an explanation. Or sure, they'll repair it, but hey I've already taken care of that via my extended warranty and that is how I found out about service bulletin. Call LG and they aren't even apologetic "sometimes things just happen" - avoid any LG appliance like the plague.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty design!, July 11, 2014
This refrigerator has a flawed design! The door sometimes catches when closing which puts stress on a plastic mullion hinge mounted to a plastic mounting piece. This flimsy plastic mounting bracket is integral to the door that the ice maker is mounted on. So replacing a 1 inch plastic bracket and the mullion hinge means replacing the door, water dispenser, and everything.... at an repair estimate of 800.00! The repairman said he knew the price because he had done the repair before, but he recommended trying superglue or replacing the fridge. I say estimate because my four year old refrigerator is going to salvage and I am shopping. Seriously disappointed - this is not green and it is not good responsible business. An LG representative said the design has not changed so I am not buying LG! I am not the only one with this issue. Keep reading other reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality finishes, August 16, 2012
After this product was unwrapped it was beautiful! Then, I used the water dispenser for the first time. It scratched. I used an ordinary glass and I couldn't believe the three scratches it made. Now, after four months, my new fridge looks about 10 years old based on the scrathed up water and ice dispenser panels. I hate looking at my new fridge just to see these completely scuffed up areas. I would never buy LG again based on this. I called to see if I could get replacement parts for these two small panels and was told no. Save your money.