4.0 out of 5 stars LG Marquee for Boost Mobile
Review is for the LG Marquee for Boost Mobile.

Physical:
Published on January 27, 2012 by Bay Area Tech Junkie

Published on March 25, 2012 by cyp1229

4.0 out of 5 stars LG Marquee for Boost Mobile, January 27, 2012
Bay Area Tech Junkie (Redwood City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Marquee Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Review is for the LG Marquee for Boost Mobile.

Physical:
It is very light and thin as advertised. Size wise it's about half as thick as most slider phones. While it is about the same size as a Motorola Triumph, it just seems smaller. Seems to fit in jeans pockets just fine. Gorilla glass is nice. I tried screen protector from vendor x-style720 & spshp88 on EBay and can recommend it highly.

Performance:
The speed is fine for daily things, but you can tell that it is right at the hairy edge of being able to handle everything. I've found the game NanoPanda is a good measure of performance, and while the Marquee can play it, it isn't as smooth as say an LG Optimus Slider. Angry Birds plays just fine without lag. Also it seemed to just be able to handle the "leaves on water" live desktop on top of Launcher Pros cube transition as you can see it is struggling a bit to keep up. I dropped it by one star

Media:
HVGA (640x320) MP4 videos play fine - there is a review out there that says the voice is out of sync, but I didn't see that on any of the 3 videos I tried out. Speaker output volume is decently loud, and does not cause buzzing or sound like a piezoelectric buzzer. Didn't get a chance to try out the camera, but while it's nice you can map the custom button to the camera, it seems to be on the wrong side of the phone for that purpose.

Storage:
After loading every app I could think of on internal storage, there was still well over 2GB of storage left. So storage will not be a problem for most people.

Battery Life:
Hard to say, I managed to get the battery down to 40% by incessantly downloading apps and tinkering for about 3 hours, hardly real world usage. I downloaded Juice Defender but don't intend on turning it on unless I can't get through a day on a charge.

Summary:
Overall I think this is great general purpose phone, but it is only just able to handle the most CPU intensive apps as it is and depending on what comes out you may feel like it's too slow in a year or two. The Transform Ultra is supposed to be almost twice as fast as the Marquee, so if you can live with the lower res cameras, smaller screen, and thickness of that device, it might be a better way to go.

Porting from Virgin Mobile:
I was able to port a number from Virgin Mobile to Boost. It took about 45 minutes on the phone to do it, and even then the first customer service rep took the account info down wrong and after a second rep called back at 7:30 pm, 2 hours later the number was ported.

Activation:
I was surprised how confusing it was to activate service, the phone activates fine, but then of course you need to figure out how to get the $55 into your account so you can do something with it. Turns out that you need to explicitly pay for the first month of service - setting up auto reboost will only work for the second payment and beyond. It also took a good 15 minutes for the payment to flow their their billing systems before the phone was allowed to connect to data and make calls.

Why Boost instead of Sprint?
This phone is free with 2 years on Sprint, or $280 on Boost with no contract. Boost is unlimited 3G for $55, dropping $5/mo every 6 months until you get to $40. So over 2 years that's $1140 or $1420 with the device. Sprint is $110/month unlimited 3G, so over 2 years that's $2640. You save $1220 on Boost over 2 years, and you have the option to change your device or carrier any time with no penalties. Boost uses the same Sprint 3G CDMA network, the only difference is that Boost won't roam onto Verizon's network, but the Sprint CDMA network itself has pretty good national coverage so it really only matters out in the woods.

3.0 out of 5 stars From Sprint's Blackberry todSprint's LG Marquee Android Phone, March 25, 2012
This review is from: LG Marquee Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I went from a Blackberry to an Android. When I first got my Android I wanted my Blackberry back. Blackberry was easier to text and it held a charge longer. After 3 months of using the Android, I can't image my life without it. I love all the options an Android and applications. I am used to texting on an Android now. The problem I have is the short battery life. It dies on me after 8 hours and sometimes while charging or talking it gets very hot. It freezes constantly while using Facebook and Live365.I will take to Sprint and have it checked out.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRID, August 8, 2012
This review is from: LG Marquee Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Had less than 3 months & it doesn't work. I work in a hot environment & due to such the screen cracked *never dropped it* & then one day had a message pop up saying to avoid over heating was shutting down.. Hasn't worked since :( Not happy at all! The speaker is below par, you can't hardly hear someone talking to you, horrible battery life, horrible reception *my husband & I have same service just different phones & my phone never picked up in places his does. Also, would have to shut my phone off just to get it to receive or send messages. :( NEVER WILL REPLACE IT WITH THE SAME PHONE... A PIECE OF OVERLY EXPENSIVE JUNK!!

1.0 out of 5 stars A very cheap imitation of an iphone., June 21, 2012
This review is from: LG Marquee Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
the LG Marquee for Boost Mobile is J U N K . normally i would not spend time writing a review about something so unimportant but this thing aggravates me daily so i have to. i don't know where to begin. everything about it is just inferior to an iphone. maybe i shouldn't be comparing the two but clearly they are trying to make it function just like it right down to the swipe to get to your home screen, which has a lag by the way. it is slooooooooow. every function you hit, you think maybe you need to hit the button again but now you've hit it twice and need to go back and start over. i made a movie of a friend's band with it and then i made several with her iphone. the video was not usable. it was dark and the lights did some burning. the audio was distorted and incoherent. the ones i made on the iphone were absolutely perfect. they posted them online and you'd swear it was made with a decent camera. this phone is brand new by the way, and the battery won't get me through one day. i go to use it towards the end of the day when i need it the most and it's off and is so dead it won't work. it's not like i'm on the phone a lot either because i'm not. this is the second one i own since i dropped the first one from the threshold of my car, about 6 inches off the ground and the screen shattered the second day i owned it. the insurance did send me a new one after i paid the $100 deductible. sometimes i can't call out and have to restart it.
it is thin though. i'll give it that. and the voice recognition does a very good job too. if you really want one i'll sell you mine otherwise, DON'T DO IT !!! i can't stop hating it.

4.0 out of 5 stars idk bout u, April 12, 2012
This review is from: LG Marquee Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
i have only 2 problems out of my phone 1 is the battery life nd the other is that sometimes my apps randomly force close other than that it is a great phone and temple run is great on this phone for the most part

2.0 out of 5 stars What?, January 25, 2012
This review is from: LG Marquee Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is a peice of junk . Most androids my friends have suck I thought mine would be different . It turns off randomly I've only had it for a little more than a month it doesnt matter if it has full battery it still shuts off a couple days ago I droped it down 2 concrete stairs and the screen cracked . I've dropped my I pod 4g I've even thrown it on concrete it's never cracked .STICK WITH APPLE

ARRAY(0x981bfe58)