Published on February 25, 2012 by Kaio

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Phone but too expensive for what you get
The LG Marquee is a rebranded LG Optimus Black for the Boost Mobile Brand. Since this phone only runs on the Boost Mobile Network (Sprint) I must divide the phone and service as separate reviews.

About Boost Mobile:

Published on June 19, 2012 by Aldo R. Perez

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Triumph vs LG Marquee & No-Contract Cell Phones vs Contract, February 25, 2012
This review is from: LG Marquee Android Prepaid Phone (Boost Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I downloaded a countdown app for my Thrive tablet a few months back and have been literally tracking the days until I was freed from my cell phone contract and able to jump ship. In that time, I've done plenty of research into no-contract phones, and honed in on either Virgin Mobile's Motorola Triumph or Boost Mobile's LG Marquee. I even bought a $5 flip phone at Target and activated it with $10 of minutes just to test out Virgin's network. Both Virgin and Boost are owned by Sprint, and the cell coverage was just as good in my tests with that $5 flip phone. So I've been itching to get a no-contract smartphone and stop being needlessly gouged by contract service providers. I was leaning heavily toward Triumph, but at the last minute, decided on the Marquee for a few specific reasons.

First Things First:

Now that my Sprint contract is finally up, I feel like I've just been released from prison or something, and vow to never get suckered into another cell phone contract again. I've been under contract with AT&T, Verizon and now Sprint. Of the 3, Sprint has the best prices and their service is on par with the other 2 providers. I'm happy with Sprint's coverage, but the phone they sold me turned out to be a colossal dud a few months in, and they didn't care to do a thing about it since I was shackled for 2 years. So I've been counting the years, months and days until I could finally be freed from contract oblivion and get a phone that actually works! The phone I'm gladly dumping, The Samsung Moment, got 90 minutes of battery life at best, and took 10 minutes just to boot up!! My "wireless" phone was constantly tethered to a charger, was plagued with CPU hangs and lock-ups, and virtually every task was the epitome of tedium. Someone could literally die if they needed to rely on that phone in an emergency. I'm in a wheelchair, and I'd be better off trying to walk to the police than call 911 with that piece o' junk -- good riddance!

Pre-Paid Stigma?

I don't get why most people willingly commit themselves to a 2 year contract with any service provider. I was duped into the false sense of security just like everyone else, but I've learned my lesson. Sure, maybe you'll get a "free" phone up front, or get suckered into believing the mail-in rebates are a great deal, or that 4G coverage actually matters when NONE of the providers can offer that speed consistently as of this writing. But in reality, there's virtually NO reason to be bound to a 2 year contract. I see how it benefits service providers, but there's virtually no upside to the consumer whatsoever -- nada, nothing, zip, zilch, zero -- period. It seems prepaid cell phones have a stigma associated with them, hence why they're being re-branded as "no-contract;" because only poor people or those with bad credit get "prepaid" cell phones. Well, I'm struggling financially now that I've been forced into early retirement, but my credit rating is still over 950, so the stereotype doesn't fit. True, at one time, prepaid cell phones were old technology that no one wanted, but that's no longer the case. Both Boost and Virgin have several smartphone options; even Blackberry if you're set on clinging to that dying brand. But no-contract carriers are getting better phones now; a few are even top-notch. Virgin has the Triumph and now Boost has the LG Marquee, which only a few months ago was a contract phone offered through Sprint. Both are really great smart-phones, light years ahead of my last contract phone. And both Boost and Virgin are owned by Sprint, so the fear of having terrible coverage are unfounded. All told, the excuses with going the prepaid route have quickly evaporated.

Motorola Triumph vs LG Marquee

I really loved a lot Triumph's features: fast CPU, huge screen, HDMI connectivity, excellent video quality, readily available Root mods, and the Motorola brand. I did exhaustive research into this phone and was really set on getting it. But one thing that really concerned me is Amazon suspended their sales of the phone multiple times after receiving customer complaints that their stock was defective. I know tech stupidity is often at play as much as defective hardware, but it did give me cause for concern. Then I read that Virgin was due to announce their new phone for the year, and it's going to be the LG Marquee, so that made me take a serious look. And when Amazon finally got the Marquee on Boost, I decided to just take the leap and go for it. It's not always true, but generally, new is often better in tech world. Things evolve and change very quickly with tech, so a phone that was only a few months old, compared to one well over a year old, sounded more appealing to me. And if it's true that Virgin will be carrying the Marquee as well, then there will be plenty of tweaks and mods available soon enough.

Boost vs Virgin

Since both companies are wholly owned by Sprint, they both have the same coverage. The real difference comes in the plans: Virgin has $35 for 300 min, $45 for 1200 min and $55 for unlimited. All 3 plans include unlimited text and data. I thought I could get away with their $35 plan, but would have to really keep an eye on my minutes to pull that off. Boost, on the other hand, just has a $55 unlimited plan which goes down $5 a month until you reach $40 monthly. That sounded much more appealing to me, since there are many coupons available online that offer $25 off to new customers, and over time, I'd be getting more for less with Boost. In the end, I'd just rather not worry about my minute usage.

If Buying Online, Never Buy From Anyone But Amazon

Of all the problems I read with the Triumph, the most common seemed to be activation issues from people who got their phone from a 3rd party seller, rather than direct from Amazon. Frankly, you just can't trust where 3rd party stock comes from, or that it's even brand new. Whenever I've had problems here on Amazon, it's always been with 3rd party sellers. So I've learned to stick with buying from Amazon directly, especially with tech stuff. Their no questions asked return policy makes it foolish to buy from anyone else, and it's the only way to be sure that what you're buying is actually brand new -- not refurbished, lightly used, or grey market -- just my personal experience.

Enter LG Marquee

A HUGE selling point with me for the Marquee over Triumph is the screen. Both are roughly the same size, but Marquee has a super bright NOVA display which can be viewed in direct sunlight, and still holds up at extreme viewing angles. Also, Marquee is running a newer version of Android than Triumph, and while I have no bones about rooting any phone, it's not necessarily something I want to do if I don't have to. So the newer OS on Marquee was another notch in its favor. Plus if Virgin is going to be carrying Marquee as well, then it just seems to make sense to go that route over Triumph.

Super Thin

The great thing about the Marquee is that it's very thin and light. My last phone had a slide-out Qwerty keyboard, and I was concerned that I would miss that. But the Marquee is half the thickness and weight of my last phone, which is quite noticeable when it's in my pocket. As far as missing the Qwerty keyboard, that really hasn't turned out to be an issue for me. I got a tablet last summer and have become quite accustomed to typing with a touch screen keyboard. I'm actually just as fast with it as a physical keyboard. So I haven't missed the hard keys whatsoever.

Fast and Responsive

My last smartphone had to be the dumbest "smart" phone ever manufactured. By contrast, this Marquee is a dream. It switches from my different desktop screens smoothly and crisply, with no hangs whatsoever. Occasionally there will be a slight pause when switching between apps, or pinch zooming, but nothing compared to my old piece of junk. The graphics accelerator isn't as snappy as my tablet, but then no phone would be, because tablets have much faster processors. I don't intend on doing much gaming or video watching on my phone, but have every reason to think that it could handle those tasks just fine. The YouTube videos I've loaded play smoothly with no redundant buffering; no better or worse than any device I've used. My tablet has become my primary go-to device, and I don't see any cell phone replacing my tablet's functionality. So for me, Marquee fits quite well into my tech lineup, and holds its own.

Battery Life

Every manufacturer exaggerates battery life with their devices. If you're a heavy user, then you likely won't be satisfied with the battery life of any smartphone. Having said that, the battery life on this Marquee is light years ahead of that old piece of junk I just got rid of. The battery is lasting me all day with light use, but it does drop quickly under heavy use. I think under constant use, I'd probably get roughly 4 hours. When I'd use my old phone as a WiFi hotspot, it would die after about an hour, even plugged into the wall. So clearly it was using more power than it could take in. I haven't rooted the Marquee yet, so I have not used it as a hotspot. Since I have a tablet, I do the majority of my surfing on that, and just use my cell phone for calls and convenience; so I wouldn't call myself a heavy user at all. But I'll post updates to the battery life as I get more real world use with it. But overall, I'm quite happy with it, and don't feel like I'll be stuck in a lurch with a dead phone, like my last one.

EDIT: Just ordered this 3900mAh High Extended Battery with Back Cover which supposedly will over double the Marquee's battery life. I'll post back my real world usage when I get it.

No Bloatware

Unlike most phones, the Marquee doesn't come bogged down with a bunch of useless apps that nobody wants, and can't uninstall. The Marquee is running a pretty stock version of 2.3 Gingerbread, which seems to be standard for these no contract phones. My guess is since they are a low cost service, that carriers are not wasting a lot of time developing custom operating systems, which is fine by me, since it offers a truer Android experience.

Rooting

Since the Marquee is still quite new, there isn't a lot of root info out there just yet. But I have found root mods for the LG Esteem, which will work for the Marquee. Rooting can theoretically open you up to malware, since it grants access to the system files. However the benefits likely outweigh the risks, as you'd be able to use the Marquee as a WiFi hotspot under your unlimited data plan with Boost.

WiFi Tethering

There are several apps out there that claim to add WiFi tethering capability to cell phones without rooting your phone. I intend to explore those options, and will post an update here, if any of those apps pan out. Be aware that using your Marquee as a hotspot goes against Boost's service contract, however, I'm not too worried about it, since I only intend on doing it occasionally. I think where you'd run into trouble, is if you start tethering your laptop to your phone, and then download a bunch of movies, and use a ridiculous amount of data that no cell phone would clearly use. In my case, I would just like to tether my tablet when away from home, and no free public hotspots are available. Since a tablet uses data essentially the same way as a cell phone, I don't think Boost would ever notice the occasional tether with my tablet. Just be smart about it, and you should be fine. Having said that, I have no plans to root my phone, if any of the no root required tethering apps pan out.

Bluetooth Connectivity

This was one of the areas that concerned me with the Triumph. I read several people were having problems keeping their headsets connected. I keep my phone connected to my car's hands free speaker phone, and the connection has been good for me so far.

Sound Quality

The Marquee has pretty decent audio quality from the speaker. No, it won't compete with a boom box, but it's much better than my last phone, and plays pretty loud. I haven't used the Marquee to listen to music just yet. I haven't been doing much of that lately with my cell phone, but that might be because I stopped doing anything extra with that old piece of junk phone I had. If I get into it more with this Marquee, I'll post any updates if they're merited.

Call Quality

None of us want a cell phone that can't get a signal or has terrible call quality. I would guess this is the number one stigma against pre-paid phones. However this Marquee is much better than my old Sprint phone, and I'm quite happy with the call quality and signal strength of this phone.

Video Quality

The Marquee can play video up to 720p HD, and shoots HD video as well, however, the frame rate doesn't appear to be true HD at 24p or 29.97fps. When shooting video, the quality is quite good, but I suspect they're trimming the frame rate as the video does stutter when panning from left to right. It's not noticeable during filming, but is apparent in playback. However, this is getting a little nitpicky, but it's worth mentioning. Overall, the video quality is quite good on the rear camera, which is 5mp. The front camera is only 2mp, and noticeably lacking in comparison. The Marquee does take good pictures as well. And the NOVA display is stunning to use while taking pictures or shooting video. The screen also renders the live camera with no hiccups or artifacts whatsoever. That would be in part due to the awesome NOVA display. It's also worth mentioning that you can shoot video with the LED flash on, and that little LED is quite bright. So if you want to download one of those silly flashlight apps, you'll probably have one of the brightest ones out there and blind someone while finding your seats in that darkened movie theater.

NOVA Display

Supposedly the NOVA display draws 50 percent less energy off the battery than a standard display. This would be key, since these large screens are a huge reason why battery life is so terrible with all smartphones. And yes, this display really is crisp and clear, even in direct sunlight. I saw a side-by-side comparison with the iPhone 4, and the Marquee had a much more vivid display. I'm not a fan of iPhone comparisons, but the screen quality is worth mentioning. I haven't yet put a screen protector on it, but do have one of those military grade, helicopter blade protectors that I may use. I'm usually a big believer in those, but for some reason, I'm still on the fence with whether or not I'll be adding it to this phone.

Storage Space

LG claims you're getting 4gb of storage right out of the box; 2gb onboard, and 2gb with the included micro SD card. I have an 8gb from my old phone installed in the Marquee. Keep in mind, that you never get the full advertised gb as you always lose some to formatting. So that 2gb card that this Marquee comes with is more like 1.7gb. Better to get a bigger card, and not worry about it.

Activation

Like my $5 Virgin flip-phone, I really love the streamlined activation process. I even kept my old phone number, and it was all quite easy to do. Last time I bought a phone, I was in the store 3 hours just trying to complete the entire purchase. By contrast, Boost has been a dream; Amazon shipped the phone straight to my door, and I was up and running shortly thereafter. Being in a wheelchair, this is a big deal, since going to stores that are rarely accessible is a huge pain. So the ease of purchase and activation, coupled with all the money I'll save monthly, makes this purchase a no brainer.

Throttling

Unlike their parent company, Sprint, I completely expect my data speeds to be throttled with Boost. I'd rather it wasn't, but that's likely the trade-off for the cheaper monthly fees. Virgin throttles for customers who use more than 2.5gb of data a month. And Boost likely does the same. Personally, I'd have a hard time using 2.5gb of data a month, so I think I'll be ok.

Bandwidth - The Future Commodity

I wouldn't be surprised to see bandwidth become a commodity as valuable as crude oil. In fact, it's already happening, and it will only get worse as more people jump on the 'Cloud' bandwagon. There's a little thing called Spectrum... and there ain't enough of it to go around. Spectrum is essentially bandwidth; similar to a freeway, if all the lanes are clear, then it's full-throttle, but sometimes you hit gridlock and can't drive the posted speed limit. All the cell carriers are struggling to sustain the bandwidth their customers are gobbling up. It's part of the reason why no one can offer 4g (or even 3g) speeds consistently. Personally, I'm not interested in funding cell carriers tech upgrades via overpriced monthly service plans that tout speeds they can't even deliver. Wake me when your towers are ready and can handle the traffic, until then, I'll stick to paying less with Boost.

Footnote to Amazon

Amazon has done an excellent job in revolutionizing the tablet market with their Android hybrid Kindle Fire. They should take things to the next level, and become actual service providers with no-contract cell phones and WiFi hotspots. Their name recognition and track record for offering quality products at a reasonable price could do a lot in erasing the stigma associated with no-contract cell phones. Communications and data really is the future of technology; Apple knows it, Google knows it, and Blackberry has fond memories of it. Amazon knows it too, hence why they're edging in that direction. And becoming a no-contract service provider would be a great way for them to continue being a trend setter and leader in the tech world. Take it for what it's worth, Amazon. ;o)

Bottom Line

Sure, you could get a cutting edge smartphone under contract for the same money, or less, than this Marquee. But is it really worth being shackled to a 2 year contract and paying at least twice as much monthly? You don't really think those phones are free, do you?! Carriers know they've got you on the hefty monthly premiums. And those newfangled cutting edge phones will be quickly devalued by the next new kid on the block. To me, it makes much more sense to get a solid piece of technology that I have the freedom to upgrade anytime I want, and not be bound to any carrier. At the end of the day, if the service is exactly the same, then why pay more? Remember, 4g speeds are not available everywhere, nor are they consistently offered, even in the markets where they are available. 3g isn't even available everywhere, so a lot of people are being suckered into technology that isn't yet fully supported. Besides, with my tablet, my cell phone is actually only needed for calls. Hmm... imagine that! I'm quite happy to have finally come to my senses, and released myself from contract hell, so I can benefit from these great no-contract phones and services. So, why 4 stars instead of 5? Because while this is a great phone with a great monthly price, it still isn't the most cutting edge phone on the market. And even though it's far better than my old phone, the batter life could still be better. But none of that should deter you from getting this great phone, and the awesome no-contract service. So, jump on in folks, the water's fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars SHARP, Svelte, Excellent Phone at a Budget Price!, May 24, 2012
This product is... Easy to use, Fast, CLEAR, Great picture quality Good video quality

I'd been using the Samsung Galaxy Prevail on Boost Mobile for over a year (bought it the minute it came out), recently upgraded to (this) LG Marquee. The first benefit is all the Internal Storage Space, available to the user. I don't have to scrimp on APP shopping anymore, as I did on the Galaxy Prevail,and that (for me) is HUGE.

The Display is SHARP, clean, clear, crisp, Crystaline! This phone has the LG "Nova" Display. Photos POP on this, and videos look great.

The phone is THIN, much more so than I had expected. It feels nice in the hand and the sleekness of the design gives it a look & feel of a premium (much more expensive) phone or device. BIG difference between this and the LTE Warp.

Call quality is great, Bluetooth and WiFi are flawless. For those who bemoan poor battery life, guess what? Smart phones are like digital cameras, they will chomp, eat and relentlessly DRAIN batteries! Get used to it, or buy a non-android / non-blackberry / non-windows / non- ios / non-smart phone.

One of the few issues I have with the LG Marquee, is that the Charging Port is on the Top of the phone. Seems strange and it does (for me) interfere with routine operation of the phone, while charging. The only other phone I've owned that did this, was an LG900 from NET10 (not a smart phone). Ironically, I can use the same charger as that old Net10 cheapie.

I labored over this decision a bit, as my Samsung Galaxy was (and still is) a great phone. I didn't really NEED this, but ... Ten minutes after getting it home, unpacked, fired up and activated, I was thanking myself profusely for having done so. This is one of the most gratifying purchases I've made in a long time.

I was also surprised at how easy it was to upgrade(from my Samsung Galaxy Prevail) at Boost Mobile - I forfeited six months of "shrinkage" by upgrading, which is what they do now ... if you're on the original $50-dollar plan, you'll be forced to the newer $55-dollar plan when you upgrade your handset ... meaning, I am now paying $45 per month, up from $40, which is the least you can pay on Boost Mobile (used to be $35.00). I still LOVE the flat rate, no-tricks of Boost Mobile and consider the extra five bucks worth every dime.

Overall - anybody who is sitting on the fence with this, take one look at the ZTE Warp from Boost ... take one look at Virgin Mobile's Motorola Triumph, then thank your lucky stars you decided on THIS instead. If you are one of those people who must have 4G and Android ICS, stay away - or wait for Virgin Mobile's release of their first 4G phone in about a week or so.

For me, and for everybody else, this phone is just about perfect. Yes, you'll see some reviews on this that are not so kind; frankly, I have no idea what they are all about. As a buyer / subscriber / owner of this, I have no bad words or thoughts toward this excellent phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Phone, May 24, 2012
Fast shipping, ordered it on Saturday morning and had it at my door Monday morning!

Brand new, non gray market, factory sealed box, with all the peripherals and the included car charger.

The battery does go fast, but I ordered two spares and a portable charger to remedy that.

I was a long time Verizon customer (22 years to be exact). Since Verizon has no long term loyalty, I went to where someone does, Boost. I'm really digging this no contract thing.

My number ported within an hour or so, I was up and running in no time.

I really like the size and weight of this phone. It really is very slim and light, great for the pocket. Not a lot of bloat ware. Great auto focus camera and flash also.

If you are not a heavy user like me and don't need the most powerful phone out there, I think you will be quite pleased with this phone.

I have had no problems with the phone at all. If I do, I will update this post.

I do have an issue with Boost however. It seems that no taxes or fees does not apply to state sales tax. OK, I get it, I pay state tax on top of the unlimited monthly fee, but Boost has charged me $2.00 over and above my state sales tax and can't seem to tell me why. I have now inquired three times and still have no answer. All they tell me is, I have to pay state tax on the time I buy, I know, but what is the extra two dollars of absolutely no extra fees for? When I get an answer I will update.

Update: After approximately one month of use, I really like this phone and the service. The phone has performed flawlessly.

Update: I have been with Boost for three months now. I love the service and have had absolutely no problems. I use prepaid cards and do not get charged any taxes or extra fees. In fact, the cards I buy cost about a dollar and a half less then face value, but charge up the service the face value amount. As stated, I am very pleased with the phone and Boost service.

Update: June 6th 2012. I just went to Pincheap to charge up my Boost account. When I got to the site, there was a notice that Boost was no longer giving Pincheap a discount. The refills from Pincheap for Boost mobile are now at face value, no more discounts. They still do not have any extra fees attached to them which is good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Phone but too expensive for what you get, June 19, 2012

About Boost Mobile:

Customer Support: It took them several days to transfer my old phone number. The first sales rep created problems with the transfer and it took two days and two other reps to finally get an activated phone. In the end I did get my phone working with my old phone number but they changed me a $ 15 reactivation charge on a BRAND NEW PHONE (I was not supposed to get this fee). Since it was so hard to get a hold of a rep I decided to accept the lost as my time is valuable, it's just that Boost Mobile doesn't think my time is valuable :)

Actual Phone Service: In my area (Pittsburgh) I have rarely being without a signal and I have never had a dropped call. I hear people well and they seem to hear me well too.

Texting: Mostly reliable but I have had text messages arrive over an hour after I send them. It could be an issue on the receiving end but texting has been mostly reliable.

Data: The LG Marquee only runs on the 3G network. It is not very fast and is nothing special. My NET10 3G phone had better data speeds but this is like comparing two turtles in a race. At least the Boost Mobile 3G signal was reliable in my area and rarely do I have problems with streamed audio.

About the Phone:
Pros -
Bright, large screen, really nice
Small, light phone
Good Camera
Mostly stock Android 2.3.6, little bloatware to talk about
Decent amount of internal memory
Netflix works with no problems (over Wi-Fi)
Flash support

Cons-
Battery life is short. I use Juice Defender Ultra and I'm lucky to make it to 9 hours of battery life with light phone usage.

Slow CPU. A single core 1000mhz CPU is not going to set the world on fire and this CPU is not very fast.

Unresponsive. This is probably a byproduct of the slow CPU but there are just too many ignored screen/ button presses to not feel like the phone is ignoring you.

Price. This is the biggest con of all. Boost Mobile sells this phone way to expensive, I got mine on special and with some discounts and I think I still might have overpaid a little.

General Impressions about the phone: I like the phone, it is the fourth Android phone of the family and it is my favorite because of the screen. I have many chances to charge the phone during the day and have access to Wi-Fi in most of the places I spend my time so many of the cons don't affect me much. On the other hand if I had to do it all over again I would definitely take a good look at the new G4 phones from Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile. They cost more but they eliminate most of the cons I have with the LG Marquee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Using LG Marquee on Ting, December 11, 2012
For a more in-depth review, please see Kaio's posting.

I recently purchased an LG Marquee phone second-hand and wanted to share my thoughts as well. I switched from a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile after hearing of Ting's pricing strategy and use of more towers for voice/SMS than Virgin. I sold my Motorola Triumph--only two complaints with that model are 1)it's pretty bulky, 2)it's made by Huiwei and some Motorola accessories don't fit it properly.

The LG Marquee is much more sleek, slides easier into a pocket, weighs less, and as advertised--has a super bright screen. The back case is roughly painted--mine being a refurb, it may be an after-market replacement. The processor is specified a bit slower than the Triumph, but I don't notice it. I do notice a great improvement in reception in my apartment, but I attribute this to a combination of a good antenna in the LG Marquee and my change to Ting (Virgin only uses Sprint equipment. Ting uses Sprint equipment for Data and several other owners for SMS text/Voice which makes it a better choice for travelers)as the carrier.

There are some nice touches LG added--including good front and rear cameras as well as a bright LED flash and the four home screen icons that are lit white and turn blue when pressed/held. The Triumph has two features that the LG Marquee doesn't--a set of notification LEDs in the earpiece mesh that let you know when you've received a message/notification without powering on the display, and superior battery life. The mini HDMI-out port on the Triumph was something I never used and I don't miss it.

I run the LG Marquee on relatively low memory use and some days don't use it more than as an alarm clock but can't get the battery to last longer than 14 hours on standby without a recharge. I've bought a second battery for travel as well as a car charger--which are easy to find and inexpensive as this uses a USB micro port for charging. The charging port is on the top of the phone with the power button and earphone jack--which is somewhat odd placement to try and make a call with the cord attached. The Marquee is preloaded with some proprietary Sprint firmware which may annoy some Boost/Ting users, but its easy to ignore. The two improvements I'd insist on are: 1)Better battery life 2) a notification LED or setting to pulse the home row LEDs when a message/notice arrives and the screen is off.

This is a great mid-level Android phone which works nicely on the Ting network and is available for a good price. In my two months of use I haven't had any firmware issues and it's proved reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG Phone, August 7, 2012
This phone does everything expected of it and more. Long battery life, easy to read, great android system. Phone arrived before delivery date, exceptional product. Amazon is the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, lousy Boost Customer Service, March 25, 2012
If you're looking for good smart phones with good rates, check out Boost Mobile. The LG Marquee is one of Boost's newest and better phones. But if you want good customer service to go with that, look elsewhere.

In my case it took me 2 days to activate a phone due to customer service's requirement to only locate my 4-digit password by calling my old phone. I had lost my password and they had no other way to find it and unable to activate it.

The other problem was that when I contacted billing to start service they said it would take one hour to have my phone working. I called 4 hours later and they informed me that the previous agent had not "restored" my account. The phone worked shortly thereafter.

Boost's best feature is its "Shrinkage" plan. For $55/month, you get unlimited Internet, voice email and text messaging. For every 6 months you're with Boost, the rate drops $5. After 6 months the rate is $50, after 12 months the rate is $45 and after 18 months, it drops to a very attractive $40/month!

The LG Marquee actually has lots of good features, a large 4.1 bright Nova display, sufficient memory, good touch sensitive screen and more.

Again, for good phones like the LG Marquee, check out Boost, but beware of their customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone!!, terrible battery., June 19, 2012
the phone is amazing, but the battery life is what makes this a four star review. they should have thickened it a tad and put a little bit better battery in it.
UPDATE (09-03-12) i have had this phone for a while, i downloaded the app juice defender and helped the battery life tremendously, bumping this up to a 5 star!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted Time and Money, July 20, 2013
enedt "ened" (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the cell phone service with Boost Mobile because of the high cost of my contracted phone service. Needless to say, I am unable to use the cell phone at home. I contacted Boost Mobile several times and was told they had a broken cell tower in my area. However, after visiting a local Boost Mobile dealer I was told that the reception was bad in my area. Oh well back with my contracted service provider. By the way the cell phone works great and met all of my expectations but it was no use to me in my home. Wasted time and money. A WORD OF ADVISE: PLEASE MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE CELL TOWERS IN YOUR AREA HAS GOOD PHONE RECEPTION BEFORE YOU PURCHASE! DO NOT TRUST THE RECEPTION AREA DRAWN IN MAP PROVIDED BY BOOST MOBILE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why some people hate this phone., December 8, 2012
I don't write a lot of reviews, but I had to here because if you search the web you will find a lot of hate on the LG Marquee. I really do not know why. I think early in its life it had some buggy software that was fixed with some updates. Aside from that, the battery life is no worse then what I got with my Galaxy S2 and many people seem to think that God made the Galaxy line of phones along side the IPhones up in heaven. So this phone does everything that my Galaxy S2 did. The GB OS is not as dialed in as the ICS OS, but no big deal. Also, you do need to adjust some settings to greatly improve battery life. Turn off auto updates. Only use WiFi or 3G, don't run both at once. Turn off GPS unless needed. There are simple widget apps that allow easy on and off of these functions. Also keep the screen around 30% brightness. That is plenty bright unless you are in direct sunlight.

One note is that this phone does require a micro SD card to use the camera, so buy one right away.

By the way, my Galaxy S2 is in for warranty and that is why I picked this up. I see no reason to switch back. I will probably just sell the Galaxy when I get it back. Don't buy into all the hype on some of the new phones. Yes, they are generally nicer then the Marquee, but not so much so to justify the cost.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›