5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone
Price
I bought this phone as an upgrade on my plan. At the time, I got it for $27- which was a steal.

Quality
It is well put together with a case that is rubberized plastic.

Simplicity
The button layout is simple with only 4 buttons on the face, plus the power and volume buttons on the side. The screen is easy to figure out...
Published on February 7, 2011 by Kat

1.0 out of 5 stars If considering this phone, you should pass
Published on August 24, 2011 by R. Houghton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, February 7, 2011
Kat (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Optimus T Android Phone, Burgundy (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Price

Quality
It is well put together with a case that is rubberized plastic.

Simplicity

Operating system
The phone uses google's android system, which is great and allows you to sync your google account with your phone, which is a great feature for importing your contacts. You also get the benefit of google's android market (which is similar to the apple app store).

Hardware feature
Another thing that I really love about this phone is that you can set it up to be a wireless hotspot, which is better than tethering your phone to your computer via USB.

Battery
I go all day without having to charge, even when I use the internet and navigation. The only time I have power issues is when I sit around playing games for extended periods of time, and even then, I can still make it through the day.

Data entry
I had really wanted another phone with a slide out keyboard, but I ultimately made the sacrifice and went with this phone instead. I am getting used to typing on a touch keyboard, though I still prefer the real thing. I also like the swipe feature where you swipe your finger over all the letters in a word and the phone recognizes the pattern.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good features at a reasonable price, July 14, 2011
Geoff "G. Swanson" (Syracuse, NY United States) - See all my reviews
My wife and I both switched to the LG Optimus T on T-Mobile about 6 months ago. I previously had a Nokia Symbian phone, and love gadgets, she previously had a Nokia flip phone and loves her iPod Touch but couldn't care less about other gadgets. I had wanted to try an Android phone but thought that if we both switched to the same phone - at the discounted $29 price available then - it would make it easier for her to transition.

As it turns out she had absolutely no trouble with the Optimus...it works well, the interface makes sense, and it's durable and gets decent battery life. My phone had a broken GPS receiver and had to be exchanged, but otherwise there have been no problems at all.

Pro - Affordable, the most useful Android features are there (Google mail/search/maps/nav), app store, Wifi and hotspot, 3G, Swype, small size, durable, scratch resistant screen.

Cons - Screen could be better (higher res, larger), some performance lags (notably with Swype input).

Some of the things that have surprised us with these phones:

- How well Google maps and Nav work, especially in the past couple months with the recent updates.

- How well Google voice search works when we remember to use it.

- How little we miss keyboards since getting used to Swype.

- One disappointment...the Wifi calling worked initially and was a feature we wanted to fix poor reception inside the house, but it is flaky on the original pair of phones and absent on the replacement. This surprised us because we had used both Nokia and BlackBerry phones in the past which worked very well over Wifi (UMD).

- One other disappointment, which shouldn't surprise anyone, is the difficulty we had in realizing the $29 price, which required a rebate submission and a lot of hassle. Instant web rebates are the way to go. This of course had nothing to do with the phone.

To summarize, this is a great way to try out Android without buying an expensive phone. It's also a great upgrade for someone who wants a touch screen phone but isn't interested in fiddling around with it too much. The choice of Android over other proprietary systems means that the user experience will remain similar with subsequent phones, which is also a strength of Apple and far better than the learning curve which used to come with any new phone, even from the same manufacturer as your previous one.

I'll probably end up moving up to a newer, faster phone to satisfy my gadget lust, but I doubt that my wife will let hers go any time soon.

Update 2/21/13:

I passed my phone along to my college age son and he is still using it. It's a tank, especially with the case that wraps around the back and has rubbery sides to cushion drops. My wife's worked great until this time last year when it fell out of her bag in the driveway and was run over several times before we found it in the snow.

1.0 out of 5 stars If considering this phone, you should pass, August 24, 2011
R. Houghton "gamerbibliophile" (Zephyrhills, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I got this phone because my Mytouch 3G Fender Edition puked on me. I thought this would be a nice entry level phone to tide me over until I qualified for my 2 yr upgrade. I researched this phone quite a bit, read reviews on cnet and engadget. All reviews said this was a good entry level phone. Nothing fancy, nothing high powered. I thought I knew what I was getting. I've had 4 other smartphones before this, and I'm really big into technology so I feel confident in sharing this opinion.

It's an attractive phone, my friends said it was "cute". Easy to use, simple interface.

The speakerphone is garbage. You can hear the caller okay, its really crackly. They cannot hear you. If the phone is charging the person on the other end also cannot hear me. I am not sure why this is.

The phone shipped with a TON of bloatware (the software tmobile puts on the phones that you CANNOT remove unless you root). When I received this phone, the internal memory was already at 86% with JUST the apps they put on the phone. This means that I downloaded Facebook and that's all I can download to the phone. Many apps now can be moved to the SD card, which I have done, but there are still very critical apps that will not allow that. Any time I get a text message, I have to delete it ASAP because it fills up the memory and then it rejects incoming texts. My older phones could keep over 1,000 texts before it became an issue. i also have to DAILY delete all call logs because they also fill up the phones memory.

This phone reboots itself randomly. I'm not sure why. I have noticed that every few days it picks a time (usually when Im waiting for a call) and decides to do a lengthy reboot.

This phone would be good for a teenager that you REALLY don't want them to have any fun or be online much. The keyboard is not very responsive at all, and I find the touchscreen freezes up quite often. As soon as I can afford to, I'm getting rid of it.

ARRAY(0xd8cf0e74)