Published on October 8, 2011 by JM in Jacksonville

1.0 out of 5 stars Ew, Gross!
As a first time "smartphone" person, I was a little nervous to get a touch phone as I've heard a lot of bad things about them. I have had the phone 3 days, and can hardly put it down! I love everything about it: its lightweight, battery life is pretty good, and its cheap! :)
Published on November 21, 2010 by Maria

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Countering misleading reviews - this is a great first smartphone, October 8, 2011
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Prior reviewers on this site have slammed short battery life on the Optimus S. It's my understanding that battery life is an issue for all Android smartphones, so I think the criticism here is a bit unfair. I have had my Optimus for nearly a year now, and as long as I remember to charge it overnight, it lasts me just fine through the day, even using battery-hungry apps like facebook and Google Maps. I find the phone to be fast, solid, responsive - it's a great little phone. Only minor complaint is that the limited memory, and my desire for lots o' apps, requires me to be fairly active in application management to avoid lack of space on the phone - still, the free Watchdog Lite app helps me do that easily. I recommend this phone without hesitation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ew, Gross!, November 21, 2010
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
The response time to the touch is very good (I do have a screen protector on it) and when you send a message, there is a cool button that turns your voice into text. The camera, while its only 3.2 MP, isn't all that bad. Other than that, There's not much really to say about it. So far, it is a very good phone and I hope it stays that way!!

Updated 5/30/11
I can't wait until I can get a new phone. I loved it at first, but the more I had it, the worse it gets. The battery doesn't even last 6 hours if I use it for one phone call. Quite a few apps are slow and it quits responding a lot. The camera is still very nice, but I have a hard time even getting to the screen to preview my pictures. It takes forever to load when turned off and tends to mute when in a conversation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice entry smartphone. Owned for 1 year., January 17, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I know there are many poor reviews for this phone, but I was very happy with the LG Optimus S for my first Android phone. I had this phone for 1 year and only upgraded to get more internal memory and a bigger screen.

No problems with call quality or signal.

Did have some annoying problems following Gingerbread update, but then it was back to good battery life and no major glitches. (consistently 20+ hours with several hours moderate use, rest light to standby mode) Processor did not feel slow for checking emails, texting, surfing, downloading & using/playing apps. Didn't view videos much. Didn't wish I had 4G. Camera is ok with good lighting, but not great. Speaker is decent.

If you're a light user (mostly standby mode with several brief calls, occasional email checks, and light texting) the battery might even last a couple days. Heavy user (surfing, gaming, streaming video) maybe 8 hours max, but that's just a guess.

Small things I like about this phone that my current phone doesn't have: dedicated camera button, external voice search/command button, silence mode from power switch, quick access to manage apps, simpler access to different phone/contact features from phone key (phone pad/call log separate, favorites, contacts) compared to HTC.

Some cons are:
-You do have to manage your apps or internal memory will run low.
-Small screen makes it tough to view some web pages.
-3.2 mp camera just ok. If you need a nice camera/video on your phone, look elsewhere. It does record audio well, even singing at a Christmas concert.

Depending on your needs, this might be worth checking out for a first Android phone, if you don't need 4G and cost is <$50. Or maybe try the LG Marquee/Optimus Black (3G only) or Samsung Conquer (4G).

5.0 out of 5 stars love my phone, July 28, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I think this is a really good phone. I didn't have any trouble with battery life,even though i couldn't keep it away from my kids, who loved playing games on it. My husband has the exact same phone (but in black) and got a bigger memory card to support his music. No complaints here!
I would recommend this phone to anyone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Android Phone with 150MB memory = bad idea, June 12, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
For some reason when I got this phone, the provider forgot to mention that it only has 256MB of main memory.

About half of this is eaten by the Android OS. Another perhaps 1/4 is eaten by the various necessary apps and stuff - even if you strip out the extra crud - so that at the end, I have room for maybe ten useful apps of my own.

Oh, but you can move them onto the SD card, right? No. Google's major apps won't move. Key apps like, oh, voicemail and contacts? Won't move, not even their data moves.

So, while the phone itself is pretty good, I have no problems with the battery, the signal quality, etc...

It just can't hold enough.

NO phone should have less than a gig of internal memory if you want to put anything on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Phone with Good Battery Life, May 21, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for 6+ months. It is solid and a good deal.

Pros:

- tough - have dropped on concrete a few times and it keeps on ticking !
- good battery life - lasts all day easily one 1 charge
- nice size - just right - not a monster - fits easily in pocket and hand
- clean, simple Android interface

Cons:

- nothing major

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone!, May 18, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for two years. It even went through the wash machine and still works excellent! The battery all day and sometimes even two days even when using multiple things all day like facebook, navigation and playing games. My one year old son is constantly pounding it on the floor and throwing it and it still works amazing. My husband has had 3 different smart phones and has complained about the battery life of all of them and is jealous of the battery life I get with my phone. when my upgrade come I will be getting the same phone. mine is a little scratched up because I do not have a case on it or a screen protector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch budget phone, February 8, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for over a year and have had no notable problems with it. The touchscreen is responsive and the interface rarely lags. It is not a high-end phone but it's not priced as one either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible phone, July 8, 2013
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Prone to glitching, random bugs, slowness, and an unbelievable lack of internal storage that makes downloading apps a pain in the rear, and apps that don't have an option to be moved to the SD a no go. This was my first smart phone, I didn't have huge issues w/ the battery as others have but I have had issues w/ the space, and constant bugs including unexpected phone restarts that happened on multiple phones (I owned at least 4 of these, different new or reconditioned depending on what insurance provided when I lost/dunked the previous one). My rec- even if you're getting it for free, it's not worth it. Spend a couple bucks and get another phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good for lots of apps, November 10, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone for 2 years now and have been pretty happy with it. There are numerous downfalls and I am ready to upgrade, but for the price it has been a good phone.

If you like apps, the internal storage is just not enough. Many apps will move to the SD card, but not all apps move. I have had to uninstall apps, clear data, delete text messages, and many other things on a regular basis just to be able to use basic functions (text, browse the web, etc).

The phone has shut off randomly, but never at an inconvenient time. There have been hang-ups, but usually a reboot fixes it. My screen has gone x-ray like a few times, but still works well and goes back to normal after a short time.

Overall this is a good phone, but it is what it is.... cheap. If you like lots of apps, then this is not the phone for you. I enjoyed it and now I am ready to move on to a Samsung Galaxy S2 (which I am purchasing today).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›