5.0 out of 5 stars Countering misleading reviews - this is a great first smartphone
Prior reviewers on this site have slammed short battery life on the Optimus S. It's my understanding that battery life is an issue for all Android smartphones, so I think the criticism here is a bit unfair. I have had my Optimus for nearly a year now, and as long as I remember to charge it overnight, it lasts me just fine through the day, even using battery-hungry apps...
Published on October 8, 2011 by JM in Jacksonville

1.0 out of 5 stars Ew, Gross!
As a first time "smartphone" person, I was a little nervous to get a touch phone as I've heard a lot of bad things about them. I have had the phone 3 days, and can hardly put it down! I love everything about it: its lightweight, battery life is pretty good, and its cheap! :)
The response time to the touch is very good (I do have a screen protector on it) and when you...
Published on November 21, 2010 by Maria

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible decision, November 2, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This was my first ever smartphone. I got it because Sprint had a special where i could get this phone for free, so i did. Worst mistake ever. I was working very well for the first 2 weeks, but then i had major problems. Randomly shutting off when i plug in the charger, random restart atleast once a day, battery would die really fast(which btw i used this phone at all the lowest settings and didnt use it often because of the fear of it dying), and the list goes on. I will never purchase another LG phone ever again. I talked to sprint and LG about the problems i was having and they told me that they were just bugs and they were working on a fix. Horrible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent beginner smartphone, October 14, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I purchased this from Ting.com which runs off of the Sprint network (very cheap cellphone service btw!). I had an HTC Inspire 4G from AT&T but it got to be too expensive to keep it with 3 kids and one paycheck, so I sold that and bought a refurbished LG Optimus S in purple for $13 ($50 discount from ting for signing up!). The phone is functional, but man, I am SO spoiled! This phone is slow in response time and stops working frequently. I am used to touching an app and it opening, this does not do that. It takes a minute to process. Also, I barely have any apps on the phone but alot of them require phone memory and this phone doesn't have any to spare. I have a 2gb SD card which is almost empty because 80% of my apps need to be on the phone memory. The wifi goes off when the screen goes off so I don't get my notifications unless I have my data on. I am on a pay for what you use plan so I don't WANT to have data on 24-7, but there is no option to fix this issue. The speaker is usable, but not good.

The one positive I give this is battery life. It lasts pretty well and for calls, it works well. I don't like the keyboard it came with and I haven't found one I am comfortable with yet.

Overall, it is a great phone for $13, if you pay more than that and are NOT an android newbie, consider something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for light smartphone user, June 15, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone a little over a year and luckily can upgrade one more time in a year being a "premier" Sprint user (they are discontinuing that program). As a heavy user, I have found that this phone is not adequate. My husband's old original Droid (Verizon) that I use at home with WIFI is faster, has more memory to hold apps, and takes better pictures!

Read the review about the lack of room for apps. Again, the old droid has way more memory for apps and doesn't complain about "low memory" all the time like the Optimus S. It's a real issue!

If I use it heavily, it will need charging in the middle of the day, otherwise an overnight charge lasts until early evening.

I got lured to buy this a year ago, by a salesman that extolled the fact that not only was it free, but I got $45 in credit as I was trading in my HTC Hero. Well, it wasn't that great of a bargain.

I think a newbie to smart phones who doesn't already surf the net on a computer, and will probably not surf on their smart phone that much will be happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A rock would be more useful, June 12, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Long lasting battery life that surpassed my expectations. I never have a problem with overheating because my phone always shuts its self-off when every it wants for no reason. Best of all, my phone never wants to take pictures or lets me play my downloaded apps. When I try using the sd card to store stuff is always says that the sd card is un-mounted even tho it has not been touched. If you don't use your phone to check the time this is the phone for you. Every time I reboot the phone or it does it for me it comes back on with an incorrect time and date. The touch screen have a cheap toy like feeling to it. This is my 3rd LG Optimus S. Overall the phone doesn't do what I need it to and I can't wait for a phone that does work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, April 22, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I would not recommend this phone to anyone. I have had it for a year and have had 3 of them. It freezes up all the time, and they have factory reset it multiple times. I was once driving to work and needed to get a hold of my husband and it was frozen my entire way to work(25 minutes). Sprint did nothing about this..so we cancelled. It is highly annoying and unsafe when you don't have a land line in your home and need to make a phone call. There are times when I am expecting phone calls and my phone will ring and ring but I cannot answer it because the screen is frozen. FYI this has happened with all 3 of the phones I have had.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first phone!! :), January 16, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone from radioshack It is awesome worked great never let me down never glitched I absolutely loveit!!! :)service is fast and easy!

4.0 out of 5 stars for the price VERY nice, January 12, 2011
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
my phone broke and i am broke . soooooo
i love gadgets need the latest but could not find the money
for one of the top end phones.
I LOVE this phone. only reason i did not give it 5 stars
was for the lack of a keyboard .
but for $50 its a GREAT android phone
had it two days and i have 50 apps on it LOL
but ill use them all .
so will you

1.0 out of 5 stars It was free-- and that is the only good thing about it., July 11, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is the worst phone I have ever had! My camera long ago stopped working. It freezes up a couple times a day. You have to pop the battery out to "unfreeze it". It constantly tells me I need a memory card. The card reader stopped working as well, so now I can only have a few necessary apps or I run out of memory. When you are low on memory the entire phone does not work until you delete something. It's a lot of money to pay for something that doesn't work correctly. Sprint will not give me any kind of deal, I only have a few months to on the contract. It is cheaper for me to terminate and go somewhere else, than to pay a ridiculous price for a used iPhone that Sprint is offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars LG Optimus S, July 10, 2012
Lea Harrison (Trenton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have had my phone for about 9 months. Initially, I really loved the phone. I gave it 4 stars because I am now having intermittent problems with the touch screen not responding and I wish there was a bit more storage space and less preinstalled programs, as I don't know which ones I can delete. Overall, I have loved the functions of my phone and as my first smartphone it is great. For the most part I have been happy with the battery life of the phone. The only time is when I am using the navigation app it sucks all the battery life within about 2 hours. As long as I plug it in during the ride there is no problem.

Although, I should note that my husband and mother-in-law also got the Optimus S at the same time and have had continual problems with their phones. Both are counting down the days until we can purchase new phones.

With this said it seems that there is a quality issue with the production of the phones and if you get a low quality phone you will have continual problems with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Phone, June 9, 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus S, Purple 2GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone for almost 2 years and just recently it completely stopped working. It still turns on, but does not recieve any service. I took the phone into sprint and they tried to fix it but told me it needed to be replaced which would cost nothing. After calling Asurion to get a new phone found out it would cost me 70 dollars to get a new phone and sprint did nothing to help.

ARRAY(0x9ca70258)