Top positive review
68 people found this helpful
Finally, a prepaid phone that rivals contract phones
on July 2, 2013
For years people like me have been faced with terrible choices when it comes to prepaid phones. You always have to pick from the "Blackberry look-a-likes", a flip phone, or a really terrible touch screen phone. Not anymore. This phone is as good as higher priced contract models. Sure it only comes with 2GB of internal memory instead of the 32GB iPhone or Galaxy, but im not loading 1200 songs on my phone. I dont need 200 apps on my phone. But even If you were to want to use this phone that way, you can always load up the micro SD card which is 4GB from the factory, but will accept a 32GB card. (sold seperately) I just want a phone that will get on the internet when I want it to, load a YouTube video when I tell it to without buffering for 10 minutes, and open apps like Angry Birds and Pandora quickly. This phone does that beautifully. I cannot say enough about the smoothness and quickness of the phone. It runs on the famous Ice Cream Sandwich OS from Android, which most any app is compatible with unlike a lot of the ones on Gingerbread. anyway, let me get to the pros and cons of the phone.
1. Slick looking phone, very flat, and sleek. It sports a large screen, only 1/2 an inch smaller than the Galaxy S3. The menu and back "buttons" at the bottom are not buttons at all, but rather are lights you just touch...just like the Galaxy S3. It has a home button in the middle at the bottom like an iPhone. You aren't going to have to feel embarrassed busting out your prepaid phone with this model. It has a sophisticated, respectable look.
2. Its fast. When you move your finger to a command, it does it. Just like that, no thinking, no waiting. Just pure seamless operation. Thanks to its 1 GHz processor it can process commands with impressive speed. Of course internet pages will load slightly slower than dealing with programs on your phone, but its still very fast on the internet...even when not on WI-FI. When on WI-FI it is almost as fast as the cable internet on my home computer. On simple 3G it opens web pages as fast as a good DSL connection.
3. Price. At only 199.00 you are not going to find another phone that will perform like this one. This phone performs like a model that costs twice as much.
4. No contract. You get all of the advantages of having a contract phone without the contract! Sure Walmart now has the iPhone for sale on their Straight Talk plan, but who wants to spend 700.00 on a phone? Not me, if I could afford that, I probably wouldn't be buying a prepaid phone in the first place.
1. Battery life. the lifespan of this battery is pretty terrible actually. Today, I took it off the charger at 99% this morning (6:30a). For some reason it will never say 100%. Anyway, by 10:00 am, it was already down to 63%. so I downloaded the Juice Defender app, turned off wireless, and Bluetooth. It seems to be conserving the battery a very noticeable amount more. It went from sucking about 10% per hour, (which is unacceptable to me) to about 4% per hour, which isn't great, but I can deal with that. It would still be wise to invest in a backup battery somewhere along the way.
2. Location of charge/usb plug. The fact that the location of the charge/USB is on the bottom of the phone may be a plus to people that use a docking station. I for one, do not. when I am in my car I may need to plug in my charger as well as my 3.5 mm AUX cable so I can hear Pandora in my car. Well, the 3.5 mm cable input is on the top, while the charging input is on the bottom. this causes the phone to sit sideways in its place on the seat, which is a minor inconvenience for me.
That's really all I have to say bad about the phone. Don't spend 99.00 on a ZTE Merit, spend just 100 dollars more and be so much happier for the same monthly payment. Just remember, you only buy the phone once. Monthly payments are the same with the 99.00 crap phone or the 700 dollar iPhone. Dont pay 50 dollars a month for a phone that doesnt do what you expect/want/need it to do.