Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on July 2, 2013
For years people like me have been faced with terrible choices when it comes to prepaid phones. You always have to pick from the "Blackberry look-a-likes", a flip phone, or a really terrible touch screen phone. Not anymore. This phone is as good as higher priced contract models. Sure it only comes with 2GB of internal memory instead of the 32GB iPhone or Galaxy, but im not loading 1200 songs on my phone. I dont need 200 apps on my phone. But even If you were to want to use this phone that way, you can always load up the micro SD card which is 4GB from the factory, but will accept a 32GB card. (sold seperately) I just want a phone that will get on the internet when I want it to, load a YouTube video when I tell it to without buffering for 10 minutes, and open apps like Angry Birds and Pandora quickly. This phone does that beautifully. I cannot say enough about the smoothness and quickness of the phone. It runs on the famous Ice Cream Sandwich OS from Android, which most any app is compatible with unlike a lot of the ones on Gingerbread. anyway, let me get to the pros and cons of the phone.

Pros.
1. Slick looking phone, very flat, and sleek. It sports a large screen, only 1/2 an inch smaller than the Galaxy S3. The menu and back "buttons" at the bottom are not buttons at all, but rather are lights you just touch...just like the Galaxy S3. It has a home button in the middle at the bottom like an iPhone. You aren't going to have to feel embarrassed busting out your prepaid phone with this model. It has a sophisticated, respectable look.

2. Its fast. When you move your finger to a command, it does it. Just like that, no thinking, no waiting. Just pure seamless operation. Thanks to its 1 GHz processor it can process commands with impressive speed. Of course internet pages will load slightly slower than dealing with programs on your phone, but its still very fast on the internet...even when not on WI-FI. When on WI-FI it is almost as fast as the cable internet on my home computer. On simple 3G it opens web pages as fast as a good DSL connection.

3. Price. At only 199.00 you are not going to find another phone that will perform like this one. This phone performs like a model that costs twice as much.

4. No contract. You get all of the advantages of having a contract phone without the contract! Sure Walmart now has the iPhone for sale on their Straight Talk plan, but who wants to spend 700.00 on a phone? Not me, if I could afford that, I probably wouldn't be buying a prepaid phone in the first place.

Cons

1. Battery life. the lifespan of this battery is pretty terrible actually. Today, I took it off the charger at 99% this morning (6:30a). For some reason it will never say 100%. Anyway, by 10:00 am, it was already down to 63%. so I downloaded the Juice Defender app, turned off wireless, and Bluetooth. It seems to be conserving the battery a very noticeable amount more. It went from sucking about 10% per hour, (which is unacceptable to me) to about 4% per hour, which isn't great, but I can deal with that. It would still be wise to invest in a backup battery somewhere along the way.

2. Location of charge/usb plug. The fact that the location of the charge/USB is on the bottom of the phone may be a plus to people that use a docking station. I for one, do not. when I am in my car I may need to plug in my charger as well as my 3.5 mm AUX cable so I can hear Pandora in my car. Well, the 3.5 mm cable input is on the top, while the charging input is on the bottom. this causes the phone to sit sideways in its place on the seat, which is a minor inconvenience for me.

That's really all I have to say bad about the phone. Don't spend 99.00 on a ZTE Merit, spend just 100 dollars more and be so much happier for the same monthly payment. Just remember, you only buy the phone once. Monthly payments are the same with the 99.00 crap phone or the 700 dollar iPhone. Dont pay 50 dollars a month for a phone that doesnt do what you expect/want/need it to do.
55 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2013
Let me put it as simply as I can. If you are looking to combine the savings of a Net 10 prepaid plan with the reliability of Verizon coverage, look no further. This is the best phone that money can buy! As a Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE owner, I can honestly say that I am hard pressed to find any noticeable difference in the performance between the two phones. There are also plenty of after market accessories for those of us who likes to personalize our phones. I highly recommend it!
66 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2013
I purchased this this phone about a month ago because I do not have any gsm service where I'm living. This phone gets great reception, fast Internet and fast texting. I have great service on the Verizon network, even though I'm a net 10 customer.
on August 1, 2013
I recently purchased this phone when my older LG Optimus Extreme went swimming in the ocean. I could not be happier with this phone. I love that the camera on the back of the phone has a flash and I really enjoy the forward facing camera for skyping! The processor on this phone is faster than most straight talk phone which is also a plus. It has the 4.0 rather than 2.3 (big difference) and has the ice cream sandwich operating system. I have great coverage even though I live in the middle of nowhere as this phone goes through Verizon networks. If you're looking for a nice prepaid phone that wont break the bank and will save you money on your monthly bill, This is the one! I looked at video and written reviews online before purchasing this phone and was unable to find any bad reviews. I would recommend this phone to anyone I know.
on June 27, 2013
I purchased this make and model as "like new". I already knew that I liked this phone since I had one previously until I broke the screen. This was a direct replacement and was in better shape than my previous one (even before I broke the screen). I use a Tracfone service, StraightTalk from Walmart. This phone was compatible with their service and uses the Verizon network. At half the Verizon contract fee, I could not be happier!
on August 12, 2013
I have mine on Straight Talk / Verizon. My previous phone was an iphone 4 on AT&T. I was very hesitant about buying this phone-I loved my iphone but the AT&T service was beyond terrible.
So I decided to try both this phone & prepaid. I couldn't be happier!
The phone is responsive, fast, easy to use. The screen is a little bigger than the iphone 4. The camera is great-you can even just say "cheese" and it will snap the pic!
I turned off the wifi so it runs strictly on the phone server. Never have any problem with websites or videos. So I'm saving gb's on my 10g home server limit. In fact I seldom use my laptop anymore.
I truly am very happy with this phone and service. So glad I switched. I don't get the stigma of having prepaid-look how much money I'm saving-the bill is always the same and I don't have to worry about limits on anything!
on October 16, 2013
This phone is a huge improvement over my last LG pay-as-you-go phone. It is much faster than my previous LG model, has less dropped calls, extended coverage throughout the states even in small towns, and I have no issues using apps on this version e.g. picture freezing, random shut offs. Only thing to keep in mind though is that it doesnt seem to like live wallpapers. Whenever I have tried to use one, the home icons would take forever to load, so my advice is to keep it simple and just use gallery pictures or downloaded wallpapers.
on January 10, 2014
This is a very good phone for the price. I'm not really in to the latest and greatest gadgets so, this phone is all that I need. My previous phone was a Nokia E5-00 that ran on the Symbian OS. I couldn't do much with it as far as apps and multimedia, so this is a huge upgrade for me. I'm enjoying the Android OS, its made handling my business a whole lot easier. I highly recommend it.... The only bad thing I have to say about it is the it's hard to see what's on the screen in the daylight and music playback is low volume.
on January 22, 2014
Thus far, all of my experiences with this phone have been great. For 200$, it's the best deal I've seen on the market. A close friend of mine got a new I-phone 5 for Christmas, and I've yet to see something the $700 phone could do that I couldn't manage on mine. The processor is very fast and I've never had service issues though I live a fairly rural area. Lots of storage space for apps and pictures. The camera isn't out of this world, but it isn't bad either- its about what I expected, and the flash is nice. Same for battery life- neither fantastic or horrible, just turn off extraneous services, (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) when they're not in use. Overall a fantastic buy! (PS- I also bought the Blue Hardcover Case and screen protector- only $5.00- and it's helped my phone many a drop by my klutzy self.) Hope this helps!
on September 22, 2013
Has everything you would expect in a gee-whiz smart phone except for an indicator light. A solid phone on a solid network gives me champagne on a beer budget.