5.0 out of 5 stars Very good since Gingerbread update
Published on September 15, 2011 by Patrick Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST PHONE IN THE WORLD! WELL...ALMOST!
Published on November 5, 2011 by JAE

3.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST PHONE IN THE WORLD! WELL...ALMOST!, November 5, 2011
This review is from: LG 2X P999 8GB Unlocked GSM Phone with Android 2.3 OS, HDMI, Nvidia Tegra 2 Dual Core processor, 8MP Camera, IPS LCD Touchscreen, GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, FM Radio and microSD Slot - Brown (Wireless Phone Accessory)
SUPER PHONE OF SUPER PHONES! Why only 3 stars? Well, there are plenty of functionality issues. It took me a few hours to read around and get the phone to function as it should have out the box. To break it down, I will list the problem and tell you what I had to do to fix it. 1. Android 2.2 was horrible - Upgraded to 2.3 through LG Mobile Support Tool on LG website 2. Wifi would not connect at all - Downloaded FXR WiFi fix and rescue App, 3. GPS did not find any satellites - Downloaded GpsFix(paid version)App, free version has invasive adds. 4. Since I use Simple Mobile the APN would jump back to T-Mobile settings - Downloaded APN Manager to delete T-Mobile APN.

The first and last ones are on me. Yet, Wifi & GPS is a must for any phone that is supposed to be smart. 5 stars if I didn't have to do anything. 4 would make people think it was a preference issue versus hardware issues. 3 is what I got out of the box, plus had to pay for an app to make it function properly. After all the issues being fixed it is a 4.5 phone.

**BATTERY LIFE IS GARBAGE!** - Downloaded Green Power PREMIUM (Free app is too limited to see results), took me two days to adjust it perfectly. Went from requiring to be plugged in ever 4+ hours to 8+ Hours with normal activity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good since Gingerbread update, September 15, 2011
Patrick Jones (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
I got one of these early in the summer. In its original incarnation, the phone had a lot of software and hardware issues. The software update that came out in early August was a spectacular improvement. It transformed the phone from an annoyance into something that is really a pleasure to use. T-Mobile took this phone off the market for a while over the summer, and I think the time was spent on tightening up quality issues. I got two new G2Xs in mid-August and both are great phones.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, October 31, 2011
I've had this phone since the second week it came out. I'm on my second one already (ended up going through 4) because of all the problems it has. I've done everything the manufacturer and T-Mobile has asked me to (upgrade to Gingerbread and full reset) and I'm still experiencing all the same problems.

What problems am I referring to? The phone has a MAJOR known issue that most G2X owners experience and that is the fact that the phone completely shuts itself down (yes even with a full battery) sometimes it will reboot itself, but most of the time it does not. You may be on an important phone call such as a doctor or a business client and the thing will just shut off. Boot up is slow so to return a phone call that has dropped from a shutoff takes awhile.

The dual core processor and the 4G network drains the battery super fast, so if you own one it's best to turn on the function that runs the phone on 2G.

Another problem I've experienced is the LCD freezes up if I'm on an extensive phone call which makes multitasking impossible (especially conference calls) and the only way to end the phone call is for the other caller to hang up and then take the battery out and reboot the phone again.

The operating system has its own issues. Many of the preinstalled apps will "Force Close" and cannot be accessed at all until you again turn the phone off, take the battery out, and then reboot the phone again.

LG continues to insist they are working on these known issues, but the phone was released in MAY! Almost 6 months later and still not fixed? Shame on LG for releasing such garbage before these major bugs were fixed. T-Mobile refuses to give me a handset from a different manufacturer (except the Sidekick which I do not want) since it is a manufacturer issue. They all keep giving me the same response (the manufacturer is currently working on the known issues)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone (GB update) - I'm looking forward to Modding it!, September 19, 2011
This is certainly a fast phone, with lots of Android modding potential.
The price is right, and it works great on Tmobiles network.

Pros:
Speed - it's just fast. Everything.
Stable - no crashes ( in first week)
Wifi - Wifi N is great.
"4g"- aka HSPA+ - I'm seeing 10,000 kbps download. Yeah, it's stupid fast.
Wifi Calling works well.
Sound and call quality is excellent
Size - Nice and thin....
Screen - nice and bright, works in daylight

Cons:
1.Battery Life- With great speeds comes short battery life-- for the same sort of usage my Nokia Astound would last two or three times as long.
2.GPS - The GPS does not seem to work well with the Stock Tmobile Gingerbread ROM, perhaps either CyanogenMod 7 or the Eaglesblood ROMS will fix that issue, or at least let me play with the settings.
3. Screen is a little too bright... needs one more dimmer setting for using at night!

Note: in theory the GPS and Battery settings are improved with various firmware mods. I'll report what I find here.

Update 5/7/2012 -
There was a firmware update, 21y, to GB 2.3.4 -- this fixes all GPS issues(same quality as iphone/Nokia Astound)!!!, improves Battery, but reduces max speeds on modem - a tradeoff which is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY a great phone, June 6, 2012
The T-Mobile G2x (or in other countries, the LG Optimus 2x) has kind of a troubled history. It launched with FroYo (in spring 2011, no less, which is pretty crummy) and it wasn't exactly a solid phone. Lots of trouble reported around the web with lock-ups and freezes and random rebooting and so on and so on. I don't doubt any of that stuff.

I got this phone right after 2.3.3 released last summer. It wasn't exactly stellar, but it was good enough. I experienced a very rare random reboot and very occasional lock-up. Super rare, and not necessarily an indicator of the software. Still, reports of that behavior abound on the internet with the 2.3.3 Gingerbread update.

And then in April, LG/T-Mobile released a 2.3.4 update. And wowza. Totally solid phone. In the 2 months since the update, I have never experienced a crash. I don't believe I had any random reboots, though I guess it might have done it in the middle of the night. Never once during the day when I was using it or needed it. I'm finally really impressed. So let's quit talking about software and get to hardware.

The screen is the first thing you'll notice, and it's gorgeous. 4", 800x480 resolution, IPS display. IPS is one of the higher-quality LCD technologies out there, with very wide viewing angles, accurate color reproduction, and bright backlights. It has all of that. The screen, in fact, is what sold me on this phone in the first place. The body is sturdy and solid-feeling, as well. The screen is covered in glass, there's a metalic trim on the sides, and a soft-touch rubberized plastic battery door. The volume/power buttons are solid and tactile, and pressing them is easy without being out of control. It has 2 cameras, one front-facing (which is good enough for skype) and a really nice 8MP camera on the back with LED flash. Pictures are great, you know, for a phone. It replaced my Nikon point-and-shoot 8MP camera since the photos are basically the same to my eyes, but if you want dSLR quality, get a dSLR. Duh, it's a phone.

After that is the engine running this ship, an nVidia Tegra 2 SoC and 512MB of RAM. The Tegra 2 is as fast as any other 1GHz dual-core CPU, and the ultra-low-voltage GeForce GPU is quite sufficient for all your gaming wants and needs. Where it falls a little short is the 512MB of RAM. Occasionally if an app runs wild, the phone will sputter. Zynga's games are the worst offenders I've found; Words and Scramble both use around 40MB when they're idle. Totally unacceptable, honestly, and because they dont' get along with the phone I removed them. If the phone had 768MB of RAM (like the MyTouch 4G and MyTouch 4G Slide) it'd be a different story, or if it had 1GB like the Motorola Atrix (the other Tegra 2 phone that came out in early 2011) it'd be a total non-issue. 512MB of RAM is plenty most of the time, though.

The phone has 8GB of storage total, with 1.45GB partitioned off for app storage (which is plenty), 3.7GB set aside as the "SD Card" (internal storage), and the rest eaten up by Android's system, cache, and boot partitions. So 5.25GB of space available to the user, and a micro SD slot that supports micro SDHC cards, so you can have another 32GB of space if you so choose. My phone came with an 8GB SD card for a total of 16GB of storage, but if you buy used I would not count on getting that bonus.

Call clarity is great. The speaker gets relatively loud before it distorts. I can hear people well, they can hear me well, and that's either using the handset or the speaker phone. It has Bluetooth but i have not used it. It also has micro-HDMI output for playing videos or games on your TV, and the phone came with a cable, but I have not made use of it yet.

The phone has been discontinued but it's well worth getting. Finally. The only way you're going to get nicer off-contract is to spend twice as much money on a MyTouch 4G Slide, or even more on a Galaxy S II or HTC One series phone. I can't say enough. I'm using it with the $30/month Monthly 4G pre-paid plan (I don't need more than 100 cell phone minutes, but I want the data coverage and Android OS). Cell network speeds in my area are fast enough - this gets the same bandwidth in the same places as my wife's LG Optimus T, which varies anywhere from 6.8mbit to next-to-nothing out in the middle of nowhere. Dropped calls are a non-issue with the phone. Reception si as good as my old phone (a cheapy java phone) or my wife's phone.

I think that covers it. It gets an unqualified thumbs-up from me as of mid-April 2012. Previously it might have been a little hesitant, but I'm glad I've stuck with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This phone is a beast but may not be appropriate for basic users, January 6, 2012
I have had this phone for less than 3 months. Many reviews underrate this phone. If you know how to follow basic instructions and root it, this phone is simply unbeatable especially if you can get it at around $300 w/o contract. When you factor in the price, I give it a five star for the value.
I installed CM7, reception is greatly enhanced. Reliable and fast. I have not experienced any of the problems of most users. I did get a few freezes when I had over 90 applications and multiple widgets. After a factory reset, I scaled back number of apps and widgets and the phone works great. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!, November 4, 2011
I got this phone in an upgrade on 10/14. I only had 2 weeks to swap it if I needed to, so as soon as I got home, I began HEAVY usage of the phone. I did experience a few of the known issues (random reboots & frozen screen), so I took it in to exchange for another one. On the second phone I got on 10/21, I have not experienced any problems what so ever! The phone is absolutely amazing! It sounds to me that with this phone, its kind of the luck of the draw? Or quite possibly, operator error? I am a bit of a tech geek and I love to push my devices to the limits. In the 3 weeks that I have been using this phone, I have rooted it and tried several different custom ROMS & Kernels. Like the previous review said, rooting phones is not for everyone. However, I am willing to bet that my G2x is faster than 98% of smart phones on the market today. I have put this phone through EXTREMELY HEAVY use and overloaded it many times and it continues to live up to every challenge I throw at it. My fiance also got the G2x on our upgrade. She has not experienced any of the problems and did not have to exchange it for a new one. Her first phone is running stock and operates beautifully. I also have a friend with this phone, he was experiencing all of the same issues. He rooted the phone and put a custom ROM on it, and ALL of the issues disappeared. So my suggestion to any consumer looking into buying this phone is this. I highly recommend the phone to anyone. You will enjoy it MUCH MUCH more if you are tech savvy and will be rooting the device. Use it as much as possible within the 1st 2 weeks so you can find any issues and exchange or return it before the 2 weeks is up. I absolutely love this phone and I think most anyone with a hint of technical common sense would too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, cool phone.. BUT..., October 13, 2011
Jonas Lear "Jackal" (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
I decided to write this review from a 14 year history technical standpoint.

This is an awesome phone, it has and does just about everything you would want a smartphone to do. However, there are some things about it that can really get on a person's nerves. I at first however thought it was a flaw with the actual phone, so I sent it in for a new one of the same kind and have the exact same issues. So, the cons are with the phones actual design and I believe I have come up with ways to help make working this phone easier.

Pros:

- LONG battery life, you can multitask the **** out of this phone and the battery lasts forever.
- Does just about anything: videos, audio, advanced apps, access to the Market, etc.
- Apps work GREAT on this.. the visuals are amazing along with the sound. However, don't download the "Advanced Task Killer" that will do bad things to this phone.
- Wireless is great.. love the wireless (sometimes.. see the con about it below).

Cons:

- Shuts off periodically for several reasons: updating, overheating, freezing, etc.
FIX - shut the phone off periodically a couple times a day and reboot it. It will also greatly help if you make holes in the back of the casing, it will help the phone breath because it does run hot. I just took a box cutter to the back casing and cut out small long rectangular holes.

- Flip screen does not always work
FIX - again, shut the phone down and reboot it periodically.. using this fix will almost always solve the problems.

- Wireless does not always work correctly.. meaning you'll be attached to a network signal, you'll get in your car and drive 10 miles and you'll still be attached to it and it messes with your signal.
FIX - disable the wireless and turn it back on or reboot it.

- Touch screen does not always work with "official numbers". Meaning if your phone has been on for quite a while and you call a number where you have to enter in your social security number and things like that, you will press the correct button but for some reason it doesn't send the correct numbers.
FIX - for this you have to reboot it.

Please don't get me wrong, there are many more pros than cons to this phone, but.. some of these cons can really piss you off at the wrong times. This is an awesome phone, I recommend it to all my friends that have T-Mobile. I do honestly believe though if you make it to where the phone can breathe more easily, it will eliminate about half your issues with it, because that's what I did with the new one I got and it shuts off has as much now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Phone!!!!!!, January 16, 2012
Phone was delivered on time, Brand new with new packaging, good Seller (The Wireless Circle). Will buy the same phone from the same seller again.

The phone is a DUAL CORE phone (two chips), so EVERYTHING is processed faster. I have had a Quad Core computer for almost four years, and it still beats everything out there, so having more chips speeds up anything. 2012 will be the year of Dual Core phones, so this was slightly ahead of its time/future competitors. I chose this over a Nexus S and a Galaxy S II (all three unlocked) because this phone will do 98% of what those two phones will do at about 60% of the price!!! Great value for your budget.

Tip: Get an unlimited data plan for this phone (from your phone carrier). It will soak up anything (data-wise) you can throw at it...already downloaded 400 megs in a day and a half of initial usage! And not one lockup or slowdown! Came with Android 2.3.3, so very happy with the software side of things...

Battery: Get a bigger battery folks..this phone uses up battery power like you won't believe (on the standard battery). When you open the box, CHARGE it first for a few hours (overnight?), only then use it..then let the battery discharge all the way down to ZERO before you recharge it again...apparently these batteries need to be fully charged and fully discharged (the first 5-10 times) before they will accomplish their full range. The bigger battery (had to buy it seperately) charged up fine in the car from the cig lighter (3 hours). Turn the GPS off to save battery power. Already has a battery app on board, so you don't need another battery app.

Phone: VERY easy to use, big large buttons. Hangup button is red (center button on screen) or you can configure the Power button to be the hangup button. MAKE SURE you turn OFF the mobile hotspot button otherwise you will be burning through your data plan. It defaults to ON when the phone turns on the first time (at least in mine).

Texting: Easy to use buttons (on screen)..although the one complaint i have (andriod software) is that it constantly corrects names or words it doesn't recognise..you have to press the word that is all the way on the left side to let the word stay in the sentence/text (the one you just typed). On the other hand, it DOES suggest words as you are typing, so you don't always have to type the whole word.

Internet/Data: You will be addicted to the speed of this phone! Enjoy!!!

User Manual (in box). Good pictures etc, but i found the online manual MUCH more informative.

Overall: GREAT PHONE for the price. Equals or beats most of the high dollar whiz bang phones out on the market now (Jan 2012) at about 60% of the price. Will be buying the 2nd one shortly (same seller).

2.0 out of 5 stars Good phone with some big problems, October 10, 2011
When I first got this phone, it would constantly shut down on me and I would be forced to take out the battery. I thought that the Gingerbread update would fix everything for me, but the phone still has some issues. Sometimes when you press power to wake up the phone (when it isn't shut down) it will be unwilling to show you the screen. The fixed icons at the bottom will light up, but it won't work. Only be holding down the power button and shutting the phone off and then restarting fixes this. It also seems to happen at the most inconvenient times. Another issue is that after the Gingerbread update, the phone has issues with the proximity sensor during phone calls. Normally the proximity sensor shuts the screen off when you hold the phone to your face so you don't accidentally press keys with your face. When you move the phone away it should show the screen again. Quite regularly it just won't show the screen again after you move the phone away from your face. Normally you can press the power button to show the screen (while your call is in progress) but sometimes even that doesn't work and you need to manually restart the phone. Another HUGE issue I have noticed after the Gingerbread update is that the GPS basically doesn't work anymore. I pretty much can't use Navigation period. Also the camera app after Gingerbread has gone WAY downhill. I seriously wish I had never upgraded to Gingerbread. Do yourself a favor and get a phone that isn't made by LG and also stay away from any Tegra based phones since they won't release their drivers for their A2DP stack. Go with Qualcomm or TI based phone.