Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on July 24, 2010
I was going to buy a cheap standard washing machine because I dont like some of the HE top loaders. They dont all wash well or fill with enough water. I was concerned, however, with how cheap many of the standard old school washers are made these days. They dont even offer long term warranties on the motor. So after reading so many positive reviews for this LG top loader I gave it a try. I'm glad I did. This thing is awesome. Its efficient but washes clothes well. It has many options including an option to include more water in the wash. Not as efficient but you have the choice! You can pause the wash to add more clothes unlike other HE top loaders. Also this thing has huge capacity for clothes. You'll never have issues with an overstuffed washing machine (well within reason). The tub on this thing is huge and all stainless steel. It cleans really well, oh and a 10 year warranty on the great direct drive motor. The Bravos and GE Harmony were nice as well but they didnt have some of the options I wanted which the LG had. In fact I think LG made or designed the Harmony for GE? I know they make many of the Kenmore's
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2010
My first appliance review! I've had this machine for about 5 days so far and absolutely LOVE IT! The capacity of this washer is second to none. Our entire Cal King comforter fits in this with EASE! The operation on this washer is EXTREMELY quiet. We can actually run this while our baby sleeps, because the noise is nothing like our old washer (front loading Maytag). I'll reserve the right to update my rating as time goes by, but for now it's 5 stars. My ONLY negative so far might be a finger print magnet on the edge of the door. I definitely would recommend this washer...and matching dryer as well. Good job LG.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 27, 2010
First time in 10 years of marriage that I have ever had a nice washing machine and I am grateful to not have to lug everything to the laundromat anymore.

I had some false expectations built up from previous reviews, however.

Large capacity? It holds about twice as much as my (really) old washer. Mainly because there is no cylinder in the center of the washer. Previous reviews/salesman comments led me to believe that you could stuff the washer full. If you do that, the clothes do end up in a huge, mangled ball. This ends up being hard on clothing and hard on petite women that are trying to hoist a heavy wad out of the washer in order to put the clothes in the dryer.

The washer is so deep that if you are 5'4 like me, you really have to almost get in the washer to get some things out. Impossible if you are dealing with a pedestal.

An old extra-capacity Sears Kenmore dryer is doing a great job drying. The clothes do come out less wet than before. But other reviews made me think that the dryer might only take ten minutes or something? Nope. Try half an hour or more. And the blankets take longer, like they always did.

Less detergent is needed, which is nice. I have not found that our clothing is exceptionally clean, but the washer does a decent job. Again, some other reviews made it sound like clothing would be whiter or the color renewed to like new. Nope. It cleans like a good washing machine, that's all.

The sanitary cycle is completely awesome and does a great job cleaning away vomit and feces. Sorry. I know that's gross, but if you are parent or animal owner, it happens.

The spin cycle is so fast! The automatic balancing is interesting. I still have had to go in (particularly with our king-size bedding) and readjust the load. But the washer does try to do this itself at the beginning of every load. I have ended up washing the king bedding items separately and the balance problem has not come up as often.

We are on a second floor of an apartment with squeaky floors. Have noticed no problems with that.

We bought this as an open box item for under $700. I am glad that we did not pay more. For that price this washer is a good value.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 1, 2011
I *love* this machine!!! Our old top loader that came with our house crapped out, and so I slogged through many online reviews of both front and top loaders to find a potential new replacement. Money wasn't necessarily a factor, I just wanted to buy a highly reviewed machine that I would be happy with for many years to come. *Very* few machines fit that bill. Most get abysmal reviews. The thing that struck me about this machine was not only the great reviews, but the 10 year warranty on the power train. No company gives 10 year warranties on their washing machines anymore!

I also liked the fact that it came with a sanitary cycle, and a cycle for woolens (I knit). I went to the store and took a look at it, and some comparable machines. This is a beautiful machine to behold, with a glass top, and shiny stainless steel drum. It is almost a shame that it is hidden in our cellar laundry room.

It runs much quieter than our old machine, but also much longer, but I think that is typical for the new high efficiency machines (our old one was a 25+ year old top loader). The change in our clothing is remarkable after even one through the washer; our socks are suddenly white instead of dingy grey! Our clothes also smell noticeably cleaner, and are noticeably softer. Some complaints about high efficiency front and top loaders are that they knot clothing up into a ball, but this machine does not appear to do that.

I am very pleased at how easy it is to use. I come from a science and engineering background, and nothing annoys me more than when a machine that does a simple task, like wash laundry or wash dishes, comes with an instruction manual that is 3/4 of an inch thick. It is a mark of very poor engineering. The english portion of the actual instructions to do laundry with this machine is about a page long, and very simple to understand. The entire english portion of the instruction manual is just a few pages long. Excellent engineering of the human interface!

Speaking of the human interface, it has a delightful facia panel that makes lovely little beeps and boops, and is easy enough to understand by the least techno-savvy person on earth (ie; my 75 year old mother-in-law). It also plays a charming little tune when the cycle is done.

Best. Appliance. Ever.
on February 27, 2011
This washer is replacing a 10+ year old model. I am very happy with the washer. I was able to fit a king sized comforter (alone) with no problem. Have to use HE detergent - as with any HE machine. (I had to give away my unfinished bottle of regular detergent).
The detergent and fabric softener are poured into a drawer inside the machine - not directly into the drum. I had read some reviews on different sites about clothes getting tangled. That has only happened when I wash a load of jeans. Sheets and other clothes come out fine. Many wash cycle options. All lighted electronic controls - make it easy to see in the dark (my washer is upstairs near the bedrooms). Very quiet!!! The display lets you know how long your wash cycle will take. At the end of the cycle it plays a computerized little tune - very cute.
Clear glass lid lets you see what's going on. Very different from regular top loaders.
Automatic sensor puts in the appropriate amount of water (although you can select an option to add a little more water). My towels came out nice and 'dry' - not overly wet. Very powerful spin cycle.

As another reviewer stated, the small strip of stainless steel is a bit of a fingerprint magnet, but so far, that's the only negative thing I can say about the washer.

Updated 3/15/11 - One other minor issue for those of us who are 5'1" and under. It's a little hard to reach in for smaller items. Bit of a stretch :)

*** update 4/21/2012*** Don't know if this has been happening all along, but it seems when I wash a load of jeans, the machine leaks. The jeans must be heavy and the loads are usually pretty full. My washing machine is on the 2nd floor and we were noticing leak stains on the 1st floor ceiling. Hubby bought a pvc pan to put under the machine and at least now the water isn't going into the floor. Doesn't seem to be happening with any of the other loads, just with jeans. Must be some sort of overflow?
on October 24, 2011
I will not get into the features and specs because you can read that elsewhere. If you were curious about this machine and don't know like I was, then read on.

This washer can wash a very large load and do it efficently. With the old style machines the agitator takes up room and your laundry has little room to move around the narrow space between the drum and agitator and you can't load as much because it will be a tight fit. As a result the machine requires more water because the clothes have to have more bouancy for the agitator to pull the clothes down and the drum to rotate the clothes around. Your more prone to having the machine getting off balanced because clothes can get bunched up on one side of the drum because there simply isn't enough room. With the open drum your laundry is moving around more freely.

The capacity is unbelievable but keep that in mind also on how much your dryer can handle per load. The machine uses a little less water than a regular washer. My wife was skeptical about the water level becasue it did not completley emerse the laundry. We were skeptical about how could it clean with less water and no agitator. Well after watching the machine in action through the glass top we understood now and thought it was genious. Caution though. You might get motion sickness watching it for too long. The machines drum design and action causes a downward pull in the water which pulls the laundry down, moves the laundry around, spins it back and forth slow and fast, water is cycled and sprayed in a high volume down on the laundry and such. All of these actions with the force of the water it creates works pretty well. With a standard washer the laundry gets tugged back and forth and around. This machines rate of moving the clothes around is decent. This machine is like a mini tsunami coupled with a storm in there cleaning your clothes. Does it clean better? I can't tell. Some people claim it does. I don't know if their old machine wasn't that good or if the detergent they used before made a difference. As for me I had a nice agitator washer and used regular Tide. And now I have this machine and use HE Tide.

This model has a sanitize cycle that heats up the water to a higher temperature for bedding or what not also, but it takes like two hours for the complete cycle. Again does it clean better? I can't tell. I don't use a lot of bleach in my washes and I don't use fabric softeners or stuff to help brighten colors like some people do and that may be why I don't notice a difference in the cleaning also.

The machine has a bleach dispenser and a soap / softener dispenser of which you can use HE liquid or HE powder detergent. There are a bunch of pre set wash cycles that you just pick and hit start. Simple as that. Or you can customize the settings if you wish. The water level is automatically figured out by the machine. It is super quiet. The water filling the machine makes more noise than the machine running. You have to turn the chime on because you will not know when the load is done. The machine will display an estimated count down time and stage of the wash.

The washer spins so fast on the rinse cycles that it gets your clothes almost dry. So that means less water is needed to rinse the soap out of the laundry and a second rinse isn't needed as often. And since the clothes come out almost dry, I am saving almost half the time and energy drying my clothes. So you are saving time and energy here also and the heat stress on the clothes. Makes it feasible to keep that old dryer now till it dies instead of buying a matching unit. Who's going to see anyways.

If you have delicates with spaghetti straps, or clothes that are easily stretched. I would recommend doing small loads. The reason is that the clothes do get twisted togther sometimes if you have a larger load. And when it goes into spin cycle the centrifugal force is massive and it might not be good on something delicate. I would recommend getting a netted garment bag to put certain items in to wash. You can customize the settings to compensate if you need to though. I did have some clothes get twisted together but no damage cross my fingers. And yes as some mentioned your clothes will be wrinkled more than normal because of the G forces brought on by the spin cycle to squeeze out the water. If you hang dry your laundry then don't let it sit in the machine too long after the wash is done. If you use a dryer, then no big deal.

I was looking at a front loader also, but decided not to because I couldn't add something in once the machine started, afraid of a bad seal and water leaking out, you can't load as much as top loader, and the ever mold, mildew and odor issues. Some of the issues are addressed to some degree in the new machines but you still have to leave the door open to let them air and dry out. Some you have to run through a clean cycle with some cleaner every once in a while. So if I have to do more loads and spend money and time to clean it. Where is the savings and convenience there? Oh yeah, the 10 year warranty on the lg motor helped make the decision also.

This washers dimensions are a little larger than a normal machine so check your measurments. The door is larger than a normal door also, so measure the swing if you have like shelves above.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2011
I just bought this washer after a false start with a Whirlpool Cabrio 5600. That was a very nice machine, effective, good-looking and reasonably priced at $550 dollars but I absolutely hated the sound it made during its cycle. If you have your laundry in the best or in a room or closet with doors, then the Whirlpool is definitely a legitimate choice. But I couldn't tolerate the sound -it's between a whirring sound and a grinding sound - and this is with the sound dampening foam. Whirlpool assured me its one of their quieter machines. A pity. I could hear all through my house and my house isn't particularly small or particular empty. This machine is even better in that it is definitely a step up in terms of cycles, options and capacity but the best part is how quiet. I sold the Whirlpool at a loss and this machine I paid $850 for but it's worth it not to have my head hurt. And I found my Whirlpool a good home that is happy with it. I'm so happy a quality top loader HE machine that is actually quiet is available under four figures. Every salesman told me front loaders were quieter. Whatever, I don't have the space, and can't afford to spend $1500 to get the same capacity and features. I only wish I had bought this one first.
on June 10, 2011
This is the worst washing machine I have ever owned. Absolutely every load I do has a balance problem and I have to be present during each entire cycle in order to re-balance the load myself. There is no excuse for this and obviously the company never did any washing with this machine or they would have known this was a real problem. I sometimes have to rebalance loads 3-4 times before the load is finished and always at least one time. I will be getting rid of this machine as soon as I can afford a new one (I have owned it now for 4 months).
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
BACKGROUND: First, this is my second LG washer. My first was a front load, and worked exceptionally well. Second, we have a LARGE family - 4 teenage kids, one adult kid with husband and one grandson all living under one roof. Oh, we also have 5 dogs and 3 cats, all long hair, as well as a horse. To say our washer is running almost constantly is an understatement; therefore I feel like we're a great test case for the "hard use" end of the customer usability spectrum.

REVIEW AND COMMENTS:
As I mentioned earlier, this is our second LG washer. Our first was a front loader, direct drive. Because we are so hard on washers they tend to only last 3-4 years. Ths LG washer lasted over 10 years, so we were happy (and impressed).

Even though we had success previously with a LG washer, my wife and I still reviewed all washers with a "clean slate", looking for the best ones when it comes to repair history, warranty, capacity, and features. The new age top loaders (like this one) were just hitting the market, and while skeptical I was impressed with the concept and the design of the unit. I also like the direct drive system, since belts are one of the first things to go in a washer and dryer.

We have run this washing machine constantly, in a ton of different cycles, different temps, day and night. Simply put, this washing machine is a joy to use. It holds a large load (and I'm sorry for the person who believes you can't load it more than half full - I all BS, as we load ours 3/4 full almost all of the time), has a variety of settings to "fine tune" a wash cycle to your desires, and the spin cycle damn-near spins the clothes dry. It also requires very little soap in relation to the size of the load - and in today's economy every little bit of savings helps.

The sanitary cycle works extremely well, which is important with this many people, including a baby, who all get colds/stomach aches/sniffles/etc. from time to time. Sanitary cycle helps cut down on the spread of germs, and that's great.

I also like the Tub Clean cycle. Every once in awhile I think it's a good thing to help "flush the pipes out" and start with a clean unit, and this does the job. Now I know many think it is a wasted cycle, and can be accomplished with other cycles (or combinations thereof), but a) you don't have to use it if you don't want to, and b) I like the convenience.

I have never had the unit become unbalanced except when washing a bunch of heavy blankets and/or sleeping bags. Even thing it simply took moving the contents around, and the problem was resolved. I have never had an imbalance problem with clothes, and we use the fastest spin cycle quite a bit.

The unit is amazingly quiet, even when running the spin cycle - and this was a cycle that has always been loud, at least in my experience with previous washers. As a minor thing, I also like the little "song" it plays when the wash cycle is done; hey, simple pleasures for simple minds ;)

So, I feel bad (ok, only a little) for those who have had bad experiences with this unit. It is sturdy, efficient, and consistently exceeds my expectations for cleanliness of my clothes. This is, simply put, the best washer I have ever owned, hands-down - and I have own many, many washersI have been extremely happy with my washer, and would not hesitate buying another LG washer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2012
I purchased this supposedly great washer last May 2011, my clothes were always wadded up in knots, literally. I would have to go out and untie them during wash and rinse. I finally called repair, first guy came out was a total moron, did not even look at the washer, told me I was basically a dumb blonde. I called LG back and they send another company out and had to replace this and that. It wasn't fixed, so they send him back out and he replaced the drain motor. I had finally had enough of my clothes totally ruined and called corporate. they replace the machine with a brand new one, to no avail, same problem. I had my hubs take photos of the clothes in the washer and emailed them a nice letter of "I want my money back for both washer and dryer" as I only bought the dryer to match. I got an email the next day stating I would be getting a full refund for both units. They picked up the set Sat. so now I am in a quandry as to what next, good old fashioned unfancy washer with agitator, but which brand. I would not recommend this washer, it will give you nightmares. What is really sad is LG is very much aware of this problem.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...