5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific HD IPS Display Hampered By Poor Software (fixable)
The Spectrum is the only Verizon choice at present for those who want a Gorilla Glass protected large (4.5") IPS (same technology as on iPhone/iPad) LCD HD display LTE smartphone with both removable/replaceable battery and MicroSD card. Below is my comparison to current Verizon alternatives, which are all terrific devices with unique strengths.

Comparative...
Published on February 7, 2012 by rs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Smartphone but problems with voice calls
Love the features of the phone (screen, speed, camera, 4G, etc.) but voice quality is driving me crazy. I hear people OK but they say my voice sounds terrible. This occurs no matter where I am, so it is not a matter of a weak signal.

Surprised no one else has commented on voice quality. I have tried two different phones and am waiting to receive a third. Any...
Published 24 months ago by Richard Shirley

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but appearances can be deceiving, June 29, 2012
This review is from: LG Spectrum 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Pros: "pretty", 5 screens for app shortcuts, 8mpx camera
Cons: abysmal battery life, no auto-correct, constant service alerts, low volume

The insurance company sent this as a replacement when my LG Vortex stopped working. I'd rather have another (3G) Vortex. The (4G) Spectrum is no upgrade!

My first one (not even 60 days old) overheated and powered down as I was using it (despite 48% battery power.) No one can get it to work again. I got the replacement today; I'm wondering how long it will last.

The battery life is the worst of any phone I've owned. You MIGHT get 8 hours if you use it sparingly. (Task killers don't help.) I had to charge the first one twice per day (I can't imagine what I've spent on electricity.)

It does NOT auto-correct. It will make suggestions but if you don't choose an option your word stays as-is. It also doesn't include some contractions (like "I'd"), acronyms (ASAP) or other commonly-used words. The Spectrum has the worst internal dictionary I've ever seen.

At top volume it's difficult to hear anyone who contacts me, and I get regular complaints that I cannot be heard or that I'm "going in and out." Thanks to the Spectrum I hate using my PHONE for PHONE CALLS.

Don't bother trying to customize your ring tone.

The screen won't stay lit when you need the dial pad to navigate automated systems. Similarly, the screen does not light up when you receive notifications.

Service is intermittent and the resulting service alerts are irritating. A robotic female voice continuously announces "Loss of service" followed by "Verizon Wireless" to let you know service has returned.

I'm due for an "upgrade" in September. You can bet I'll be exchanging this phone as soon as I possibly can.

1.0 out of 5 stars verizon lied to me, lg sucks., October 10, 2012
So i go to verizon, tell them i want a phone for texting, and playing music. This phone basically freezes up all the time when i try to do anything, and the keyboard force closes at least 5 times a day, to where i cant see what I'm typing. i have never had a so called piece of technology be so buggy and futile to attempt to use. Even after almost a year, no updates to fix it. Ill be sticking with motorola, second piece of crap lg ive owned, shame on me this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats with all the negativity??, September 30, 2012
I got this phone to replace my samsung galaxy s2 epic 4g (which I love) but the sprint service was so horrible, I had to do something about that so I switched to verizon.
Enter the Lg Spectrum 4g. This phone takes some getting used to if you are used to the samsung platform, but so far I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Pictures and video are great, Phone quality is great (in fact, too loud sometimes. You have to turn the volume down for most of the calls) and the 4g lte speeds are amazing. It does get hot if you are playing a game for a long period of time or using an app for a while. And the apps scroll up and down as opposed to the galaxy's that are left to right. But if you simply long press the apps and games you use most, you can add them to the home screens. Then you have left to right scrolling. I am a bit tech savvy so I am able to adjust certain things to preserve battery life. I bought a second battery and dock from verizon for 19.99 so i dont really have to worry about battery life anyway.
All in all, I love this phone and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive, fast and sleek phone. Does everything all the expensive phones do without any lag or disappointment. Oh and by the way, I-phones suck!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Phone! bad battery..., September 27, 2012
I got this smartphone 2 months ago. Im reviewing with experience. First off I was really glad when I found out that this phone is only $90! So I decided that this would be the phone for me. So I took the phone home and the first thing I did was buy a case and charge the phone... Im really happy to say that at 7:00 a.m this morning I put it on the charger dead... and now at 8:48 a.m the phone is fully charged! I love the fact that it charges in 2 hours but the bad part is the battery life... the battery life on here isn't the best! But how I use the phone the battery lasts the whole day and then I put it on the charger... Its to be expected that the battery isn't the best because it has 4G LTE data power, a 4.5 inch IPS display, and 3 touch screen buttons... The middle button is the home button and its silver, to the left is the black colored menu button and to the right is the black colored back button. For only being $90 this phone is well worth it! I highly suggest that you purchase this phone and get insurance on this phone for only about $10.00!

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful, August 3, 2012
D. Vogl (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
My problems:
1. Battery life is terrible. You will have to buy extra batteries to get through the day.
2. Battery almost won't charge when the phone is on. Takes HOURS.
3. Battery gets up to 130 degrees if charging while phone is on.
4. No warning light for notifications. If you miss the sound, you have to keep turning the phone on to see if you missed anything.
5. Screen is impossible to read in sunlight.
6. After 5 days the phone would not turn on. Had to get a replacement.
7. Loaded with useless apps which cannot be deleted and continually update. DRIVES ME NUTS!
8. Quality of speaker/reception is terrible. I have yet to get a good quality phone call. Really bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good phone., May 2, 2012
The phone is not very good:
The phone call quality is terrible, people complain they can't hear me, and I can't hear them.
There are dropped calls that rarely happened with my previous verizon phone.
It is a little too wide, so is not comfortable to hold.
The battery life is horrible, does not even make it a full day with moderate use.
The phone is heavy, a fingerprint magnet, and has a flimsy plastic case.

I like the camera quality and the quality of the image on the screen, but will be returning this phone to the store.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good--but the battery does run down, October 24, 2012
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I must admit it. I am hard on things. And of the things that I am hard on is cell phones. I've dropped them in the wash basin, dropped them, and so on. My last cell phone? A Blackberry. I dropped it and broke the glass cover. It also started not to work so well. So I bought the Spectrum by LG. And I think I had good luck making the change.

The Blackberry was never great for me, although it was better than what had gone before it. It didn't work well in thick walled buildings (I could not hear the callers and calls often got dropped). I could not use my electronic calendar with the Blackberry (I needed an app that cost a bunch, so it never happened). The voice quality was not great. I sometimes didn't hear people so well using the Blackberry.

The Spectrum? One down side. . . . The battery seems to drain more than the Blackberry's did. But, once you know that, you can arrange to recharge. There appear to be more apps available with the Spectrum. The quality of photos taken by the camera appear to be better with the Spectrum.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with this cell phone. Of course, I have only had it for a couple weeks, so I may become less positive. For now, though, I have a sense that I have experienced an upgrade in my cell phone quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, August 20, 2012
Jaime Huppert "Jaime" (San Fransico Bay Area) - See all my reviews
This is a really nice phone. $20 now for dual core, huge colorful screen and 4G? Wow you really cant go wrong. I have had mine for 5 months. I rooted and flashed a custom ROM. Works nice and smooth.
A battery extender is a must! I got a battery that has twice the power as the stock one and I go almost 2 days on a single charge.
Really is a nice phone. Take great pics and videos too! Just get a bigger battery and you would be all set!

1 year later UPDATE: Still working good! Just get a battery extender like I said!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent 4G phone with voice quality issues and sensitive glass!, August 6, 2012
I must say I was initially surprised that this phone was actually decent. I've owned a few previous generation LG phones and they were average to be fair. Anyhow I won't cover most of the technical details nor the plus and cons as they have pretty much been covered by other reviewers. What I will cover as well as mimic are 2 painful flaws this phone has that make it worthless to the average customer. First issue is voice quality! The microphone for the Spectrum is located at the bottom of the phone and no I don't mean the bottom front I mean bottom as in facing the floor. This awkward placement makes it difficult for the phone to pick up your voice clearly and causes utter frustration for anyone on the other end of the call. If you search around for LG Spectrum and "muffled" you will see many complaints and even the other reviewers here at Amazon have multiple people on their second or third phone with no improvement. I personally believe due to the size of the phone and the horrible placement of the microphone that you would have to have a long face where your mouth ends up below the phone when placed to your ear in order for the mic to pick up your voice clearly. I unfortunately don't have that long face and the mic ends up around my chin. This can be defeated by using a bluetooth earpiece or speakerphone but if you like to use the phone the "normal" way you will probably run into this issue. Now on to the second issue . . . Gorilla glass! Now don't get me wrong, the glass feels decent and looks great and I am sure it is tough against normal scratches. Problem is the maker of Gorilla glass (Corning) claims and I quote "Visually stunning, incredibly tough Corning® Gorilla® Glass enables today's sleekest smartphone, tablet, and PC designs, while providing exceptional damage resistance to the drops, bumps and scrapes of everyday use. Gorilla Glass is sensitive enough for today's most sophisticated touch applications, and is available with an easy-to-clean coating." Notice the part about "incredibly tough and providing exceptional damage resistance to drops" ?? Well my phone fell about 2 feet maybe 2 1/2 and landed on it's back, bounced and landed on it's face. To me this is a casual fall at best compared to falls that many of my previous phones have endured. This was the phones first fall in the 4 months I owned it and guess what?? The entire glass shattered! Now I might have understood a small scratch or even a small crack as it's possible it bounced onto a small pebble, but completely shattered? My wife's old Droid X fell about 12 feet face first onto a bed of rocks, pebbles and rubble and the glass cracked up in a few spots which was understandable, but even the Droid X glass didn't completely shatter and honestly we expected it to. There is no excuse for this "tough" glass completely shattering after such a light fall. Anyhow, now I have a 4 month old phone with a shattered glass and neither Verizon, LG, or Corning will own up to the possible defect in this glass. All I am told is that physical damage is not covered by warranty and I will either have to pay more than the phone cost me to send it out and have it fixed or buy another phone. So buyer BEWARE, if you choose to take the risk with this phone you will more than likely experience voice clarity issues so my advice would be to pick up a quality bluetooth headset while you're at it and make sure to buy a case with glass protection or pick up an extra warranty that covers physical damage. Hope this review helps anyone considering the purchase of this phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, July 11, 2012
This phone is incredible and definitely worth the money. I wouldn't trade for the razr, iphone, or any other phone for that matter. Verizon's best phone!

PROS:
Very fast processor
Great HD display (with nearly unbreakable gorilla glass to boot)
Great sound
Slim
Great camera (lots of options, bright flash, 8mp, 1080p video)
Great call quality
A lot of features

Cons:
Takes ~2.5 minutes to turn on after being powered off
Slightly complicated system (though once I figured it out I loved it)
Poor battery life (lasts about 1 full day with moderate use. The display is what is the real battery killer on this phone though)

ARRAY(0x9860f804)