Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LG : WM2016CW 27 Front Load Washer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon January 10, 2009
Heath L. Buckmaster presents a video review of the LG WM2016CW Washer. See an overview of the washer controls, then watch the machine in action from start to spin.
2121 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2008
=============

UPDATE UPDATE --June 29, 2011.

The washing machine started having real issues a few months back. It started making grinding sounds. The Best Buy extened warranty plan replaced a broken part.

Now excessive water leaked and spilled through the floor on my two story house and seeped to my garage. It looks like the pump that extracts the dirty water failed.

With the help of the extended warranty plan I purchased from Best Buy I traded this piece of junk for a new HE LG top loader at no extra cost other than paying $149 for another 4 year extended maintenance plan.

This is one time I feel feel like a winner that I bought the extended warranty plan!!!

Lets see how that goes...!!!

BTW I never really got away from the stinky mildew smell...

=============

NOTE:
A warning to people migrating from a top loader to a *water saving* front loader like this LG - because they like the look of front loaders like I did initially.

Let me give you an analogy:
A traditional Top loader washes your clothes like in a bath. Lot's of water being used here.

A Front loader in contrast washes your clothes like in a shower with very little water. When you run your first load you even wonder if it's getting enough water to clean the clothes as it barely gets soaked looking at the wash cycle through the window!

Problem:
With heavily soiled and stinky clothes like the polyester dri-fit fabric, the clothes do not smell good after coming out washer nor after the dryer even after putting on the fabric softener.

Solution:
Press the extra "rinse" button that gives you another rinse cycle, how much less water you save is anybodys guess.

Problem 2:
You *cannot* use the regular laundry detergent. If you do, in about 2 to 3 weeks your clothes will start smelling of mildew. Just like when you put damp clothes in your clothes drawer before they fully dry.

Reason: water trapped with residue from suds generated by the regular laundry powder does not dry and bacteria forms on the tub and seals.

Solution:
Throw away your leftover detergent for your top loader and buy "HE" type laundry detergent. The HE detergent is designed to generate less suds. They are more expensive but what can you do?

Also wipe down with a dry cloth or paper towel, the rubber door seal innards and leave the door ajar so the internal tub can dry.

Conclusion:
If the sales people at B-Buy knew their stuff and genuinely cared for me they would have warned me about this and I would have stuck to a top loader. Honestly, there is more hassle that comes with owning a Front loader than with a conventional top loader.

Now each load takes 1.5 hours with the extra rinse option. So my family of 6 takes the whole day to do the laundry. It may well be that the H20 savings is nulled out by the extre money spent on electricity.

The only thing I can say that I like it's looks. It's modern and nice to look at in a my new house.

LG engineers... fix the stink problem!!! If you don't believe me do a Google on "odor musty stink Front loader" and see al the complaints.

Read [...].

Nov 1. 2009-
After over a year of ownership I still stand by my comments that a front loader is more hassle in maintaining than a top load washer.

When the smell started to return even after using HE detergent I started a throrough clean of the washer. There are 3 areas that have *gunk* build up and need to be cleaned by wiping.

1. Under the detergent dispenser.
Open the detergent drawer and press the middle blue depression to release the drawer from the unit. Look at the receiver and you will see detergent residue that has accumulated.

>>>Wipe the deposited soapy gunk out<<<

2. The bottom filter. Make sure you drain the water first then remove filter to reveal gunk and hair.

3. Finally -- Even though we all know to wipe down the door seal after each use there is also a *hidden* areas where gunk residue collects. Located the bottom rear most edge of the grey seal where there are 3 drain holes. If you peel the seal slightly back to expose the white metal chassis of the washer . You will see gunk collected between the seal and metal chassis. I had to wipe it off with rag with some difficulty. The gunk is mainly located on the bottom half.

I am very tempted to strip the unit down to do a thorough clean of the tub area...
1818 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2007
Just replaced my Maytag Neptune Washer (purchased in 2000) with this LG WM2016 1 week ago. I also purchased the stand so that the door would be more at my height. I use the drawer stand to sort clothing (it's not intended for a huge amount of laundry but it helps with sorting). I find the drawer very useful and am very glad I purchased it. The clothes have come out clean and almost dry. That means less drying time. The only down side is that opening to the tub is smaller on the LG than on my maytag. Compared to another Kenmore washer, the LG opening was 3 inches bigger (which for me makes a big difference) especially when you need to wash comforters or bulky items. You might want to take a measuring tape when you go look at washers, that really helped me. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and would recommend it to others.
VINE VOICEon February 28, 2009
The LG is my first front loader. Comes with a vast array of options that are easy to use.

Upon starting the machine apparently measures the amount of laundry by measuring the torque required to spin both wet and dry. Adjust water accordingly. Control panel shows time remaining which is nice.

Another much appreciated feature is a completion tone that is adjustable from off to loud.

You need to read the manual if you want to use one of these machines and be satisfied

* Drain the sump per the manual

* Run the tub clean cycle on occasion per the manual (no soap but use bleach)

The machines do a great job of making dirty cloths clean with a minimal amount of water. They do take a while to run. They are also a lot easier on stuff than the upright machines.

The spin dry cycle also does a great job of getting the water out and as a result the dryer cycle takes less time.

One additional word . The water valves are fast acting . Therefore your plumbing may rattle or have hammering sounds . If so, buy some of the water hammer arrestors at Home Depot that attach to the faucet and dampen the pressure surge.

Highly recommended.
on September 23, 2008
Initially I really loved this washer. It uses hardly any water and is very efficient. However, after a couple months of use, I started getting a mold/mildew smell in the washer drum and in my clothes. The smell won't go away no matter what I do. I have tried using bleach, vinegar, Affresh (manufacturer suggested product), etc. and nothing helps.

I've also tried wiping down the door after each use and also leaving the washer door and detergent tray open to dry out. Nothing gets rid of the smell. I use hot water on most loads and don't use fabric softener (I don't like it). I leave the washer door completely open in spite of the eyesore it caused sticking out into our main hallway. I do not use a lot of the HE detergent either.

Apparently this mold/mildew issue is a common complaint among owners of front-loading washers and there are several class action lawsuits out there for various manufacturers because of this issue. I've also heard from family members that the smell is worse down South because of all the heat and humidity they get in the summer. I heard about a class action lawsuit for LG washers (and other manufacturers) and signed up. I'm sick of the smell.

It's a great washer--if you want to live with the mold and mildew smell in your house and in your clothes. A top of the line washer SHOULD NOT have a major problem like this. Buyer beware!
66 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2008
We just had this machine delivered 9 days ago. We got an error message on day 4 and the drum was filled with water. When I called the customer service line here are the instructions that I received. First Look at the picture of the machine and you will see a little door on the bottom left corner. There is a drain in there with a small, short tube and a drain door. First I was instructed to get a tub and towels, pull the little tube out and let the water drain into a tub. The drain is so close to the ground that you have to stay there and hold the tube while it drains and that takes at least 30 minutes. When it has drained you then open the other drain thing and the rest of the water rushes out. It is so close to the ground that it is all but impossible to prevent water from getting on the floor and under the machine. Over time this will ruin our hardwood floors. Then you have to rerun the load that was ruined when you first got the error. The CS rep said that if you are doing @ 1 load a week (who does ONLY one load a week) that this process should be repeated once a month. More often if you do more loads. We have repeated this process twice in 5 days. It is a terrible system and unrealistic to think that anyone can preform this level of maintenance on a regular basis. DO NOT BUY THIS UNIT. We are trying to return this but HD says that since it has been used it is not in resalable condition. So we have to try to return it through LG. Keep in mind that we have had it for 9 days and we would not have purchased it if we knew that this was part of the deal.
55 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2010
This washer was highly rated before we went out and bought it and unfortunately it did not measure up to it's rating. It does not clean the clothes as well as the previously owned top loader.

We suspect that this washer does not use enough water to do the job properly. So, we tried to use the setting with extra water without success. We now pre-wash everything which requires two kinds of detergent, a HE dry powder and HE liquid with semi-success. We now add bleach to all of our white's which does work somewhat. We've tried to reduce the amount of detergent and increase the amount of detergent. Heavily soiled, clothes just do not get clean.

Another problem with this washer is the length of time it takes to complete a wash. It can take 4 times longer than the top loader we used to have. The problems do not end here. This washer was sold to us promising that it would be able to wash a queen size comforter. It does, but it often does not go into the spin cycle, especially if you add a few extra pieces of laundry to it.

This machine is way too sensitive to unbalanced loads. It simply refuses to go into the spin cycle. It takes removing any additional clothes added and sometimes repeated unloading and re-arranging of the comforter to get it going.

Think about this; you've got to take out and re-arrange a sloppy wet comforter just to get it to start the spin cycle. You might think this would be the end of the problem. NO!!!! To get it back into the spin cycle you have to reset the washing machine to a rinse cycle. Therefore it is wasting water just to get it back to spin dry the comforter. -----

We wish we had never bought this machine and kept the old "water wasting" top loader. We have not had any of the smelling problems though because we keep the door always wide open to air dry the washer after it has been used.

Don't buy this washer and don't let anyone tell you it's your water. Our water is extremely soft and should work with any washer. I hope I was able to warn some people with this true and unbiased assessment.
on December 24, 2008
UPDATE: 12/14/2011

WOW!! It have been over three years and this thing still runs like a charm like the first day we installed it!! Very low maintenance, quite and does a fabulous job with cleaning the close. STILL with about 30 loads of laundry per week from clothes, sheets towels, comforters... you name it! Fabulous product!!!!
++++++++++++

First off, I have been a front-load washer owner for over 7 years. We owned the Maytag Neptune, which finally gave out via the drum bearing. I researched a variety of front load washers under $700. From Amana, Whirlpool, Kenmore, etc... This product beat them all on paper with the existing reviews and the warranty.

We've had this washer for two months now and with six people in the house and we do almost 20 - 25 loads of laundery per week. This machine has performed better than our Neptune, with the cleanliness, quietness (even at the highest spin cycle) and ease of use. We wipe down the door and rubber seal after each load and leave the door open to reduce the likelihood of a smell, as we did with our old Neptune. We've never had problems with mold or smells.

My wife loves this product, even with the fewer wash options than our old Neptune, there are so many other pluses. So far, we are very satisfied with our purchase. But with any front-load, there is some regular minor monthly maintenance that you have to perform to keep it in top condition.
on August 13, 2014
Spider wheel and bearings are cheap and will eventually brake (mine less than 4yrs). This will require complete disassembly and rack-up repair cost equal to the cost of a new washer. I predict everyone will go back to their top loaders soon.... In addition, I have had nothing but trouble with LG appliances- fridge and dishwasher both junk.
on August 30, 2012
This is absolutely, positively the worst washer. After the washer was just out of warranty, we opened the door to find that the tub was half filled with water. The water dumped out and damaged the wood floor. We had both the hot and cold water valves replaced and the washer worked for another year or so. A couple days ago, I was standing next to the washer after it completed the wash cycle and turned off. I heard what sounded like water running. Further investigation lead me to find out that the cold water was still going into the tub. Just to clarify, the washing machine cycle had been completed. I looked in the front door and saw that the tub was half filled with water.

This washer is out-of-here. I will never buy an LG appliance again. Wasted money, damaged floors, repair bills. The cost the replace the washer was just a fraction of the cost to repair the damage the machine did.