5.0 out of 5 stars Took the leap to HE, no regrets.
Published 20 months ago by AryaStark

So I got this top-loading LG HE washer as a replacement for my 14-year-old top-loading Kenmore washer that eventually failed. This LG was the highest rated washer by a leading consumer reports magazine, and that's why I bought it.

Can't say that I am thrilled with this new machine :(

Pros:
Supposedly uses less water and electricity.
Higher...
Published 17 months ago by N2

5.0 out of 5 stars Took the leap to HE, no regrets., May 5, 2013
This review is from: LG WT1101 4.3 Cu. Ft. Ultra Large Capacity High Efficiency Top Load Washer with SlamProof, White (Kitchen)
I had no experience with the high-efficiency washing machines at all. I've spent my life using the cheapest possible Whirlpool type junk (I'd actually purchased a new set at Lowe's a while back; the dryer lasted maybe two years). More recently I'd been in a rental with more typical cheap junk, moldy smelling drum that no amount of bleach, vinegar or airing out could kill, and dryer with a squeaky belt.

We moved, and the new complex did not provide washer/dryers, so we took the plunge and bought the LG WT1101CW and the matching dryer. Even though this is the 'cheapest' version LG makes, it feels and functions like a very well-designed and made machine. (Go into your local Best Buy or whatever, find this model, and just spend some time opening/closing it/touching it. Then go do the same with the lowest-priced similar Samsung--you will feel the difference in build quality.)

I was somewhat apprehensive about making the jump to a high-efficiency washer, and this model in particular, due to some of the following concerns I saw in reviews:

1) Load becomes easily unbalanced; you have to separate clothes carefully or load the drum carefully; washer spends too much time weighing and rebalancing the load.

VERDICT: None of this is true for me. I've done it all: huge loads, light loads, heavy curtains, a king-sized comforter, a load of throw cushions, five pairs of jeans mixed haphazardly with many small/light items, etc etc etc. It spends a few minutes weighing and spinning the load, and then proceeds to wash it. No problems, no off-balance errors, nada.

2) Clothes don't get clean because there isn't enough water; soap still visible; detergent pacs not dissolving.

VERDICT: Yeah, I have no idea what this is about. I've never had anything come out 'still dry', no soap residue, no pac problems. (I wonder if people are putting the pacs in the tray instead of the drum? they go in the drum, read the bag.) During the wash cycle, since they were brilliant enough to put in a window, I can watch and see that the clothes are getting well-submerged and fully agitated. I'm not sure how anything could remain dry anyway, since it spins the drum under the water source while it's filling up. No soap residue, just fresh clean clothes. Don't forget you need to actually use the 'fabric softener' option if you are using fabric softener (you need an extra rinse). Also remember you don't need to use a ton of HE detergent. Less is actually best.

3) Loads take a long time; or they take longer than timer indicates.

VERDICT: Partially true. They do take longer than a traditional washer. I feel this is entirely negated by the fact that you can do loads twice as large. Drum is huge and no agitator. And yes, the timer does need some tweaking, but the biggest difference I've seen has been about 10 minutes. I've never seen it stop and re-weigh as some people say.

Overall, I love this washer so much it makes me ENJOY doing laundry. It's very George Jetson, especially if, like me, you'd been using tiny/cheap/smelly old-school washers all your life. There are way too many features to list, but some of my favorites are the see-through and slam-proof lid, the fact that you can keep the lid partially open (the top couple of inches fold down) to help reduce mold, the wide variety of cycle options, the extremely quiet operation, and yes, even the silly little song. And if you have arthritis like me, you will definitely appreciate not having to try to haul out clothes that are tangled tightly around an old-style agitator without banging your hands against the inside of the drum or the agitator.

The matching dryer has many similar conveniences and features, and once you figure out some of the tricks you can avoid the dreaded "pile of slightly damp and permanently wrinkled clothes you forgot about". Yes, this will set you back a bit more money than going into Lowe's and buying the cheapest possible old-fashioned GE floor model, but if you do a lot of laundry (and note the 10-year motor warranty!) you should view this as a long-term investment that will make your life a lot easier.

UPDATE March 25 2014: Wow, at the time I wrote this there weren't many reviews on this washer. I guess a portion of people are getting ones with balancing issues. I can say that units without this problem DO exist. FWIW, I had mine installed and delivered by Best Buy.

The review above is still accurate and I do not have any significant "UE" issues. (I mean, occasionally if I run an EXTREMELY unbalanced load, but it's rare and easy to fix--no different from if you load a normal washer badly.) The gigantic drum and the extremely fast matching dryer more than offset the longer running time (and you can always use speed load). I still consider this to be an awesome purchase. Also, I've really put this thing through its paces (king size bedding, kitchen rugs, accidentally running it once with a bottle of fabric softener inside (it didn't leak but got very banged up) and it still has no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zero complaints..., January 31, 2013
Onecooldad (Lyndhurst, NJ) - See all my reviews
A fine washing machine this is. Quiet, efficient and thorough. Easy to use. Large enough for bulky comforters. I have nothing bad to say about this machine. I purchased it for $627 before a $40 rebate so it actually cost $587. Clothes come out clean and drier than other machines due to the high spin cycle, and as a consequence, need less time to dry in the dryer. 5 temperature settings and the 8 wash settings are plenty. Extremely happy with my purchase and I highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for HE Washer, September 15, 2013
The original washer I had was a top loading agitator-style washer. I was wary of making the jump to high efficiency, after hearing mixed reviews from so many people. Cost was also a concern. I had to buy a new washer AND dryer, and wanted to get the job done for less than $1500.00.

I bought this unit after checking the reviews AND consumer reports. Cons/reports gives this the highest rating for a top loader HE washer. It's easy to see why. While it doesn't clean as thoroughly as I expected (but apparently is excellent for HE washers), it is of very high quality and very intelligent. This unit doesn't feel cheap, and it's whisper quiet. The only major caveat that I have refers to the "unbalanced load" issue that so many people have.

If the unit is not exactly level, both side-to-side and front-to-back, it can become unbalanced frequently when running. Simply use a proper level, a dollop of care when adjusting the legs during install, and you should have no issue. It's surprisingly adept, and out of 50 loads, I've only re balanced a load once since properly adjusting the legs.

My other recommendation is this: turn the power ON before adding bleach to the fill cup. If the unit is off, the bleach will just flow into the basin and stain whatever it hits. If the unit is on, it will retain the bleach in the cup until it can blend it in properly.

Finally, this is the most inexpensive HE washer you can find. It's one of those rare deals, and totally worth the money. The matching dryer works fine (nothing exceptional about it). I found that sister machines from LG just offered more content, but considering how loaded this unit is, there's no real need to step up.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you are coming from a conventional, top-loading washer, be aware of the following., August 25, 2013

Can't say that I am thrilled with this new machine :(

Pros:
Supposedly uses less water and electricity.
Higher spin speed gets more water out, resulting in shorter drying times in dryer.
Quieter, and less vibrations at high RPM.
No need to manually set water level; it supposedly figures the right amount of water to use.
Glass window on top, to see what the washer is actually doing.
No back panel like other washers; easier access to front controls.
Electronic controls (not mechanical dials and knobs).
Clothes look and smell clean after wash, but are they really cleaner? (see cons below).
Larger capacity.
Gentler on clothes.
Gives you an indication of remaing wash time in minutes, that could increase during the cycle depending on certain conditions.
Soft-closing lid (doesn't slam).

Cons:
Takes twice the time for a wash. (So where's the energy savings?)
Does all kinds of rotations with the clothes, without water, to try to balance the load before water-intake.
And still gets out of balance during spin (uE code), and does an unnecessary rinse again (during spin cycle), lengthening wash time, to try to re-balance the load.
The Owner's Manual states" "Always try to wash articles of somewhat similar weight to allow the washer to evenly distribute the weight of the load for spinning" (page 30). Really? What BS! All this because of the higher spin RPM? How do I find something similar in weight to my white bathrobe, as my other whites? It was very, very rare for my old washer to ever go out of balance.
Don't watch the clothes too long via the top glass window, or you might get dizzy.
Absolutely needs HE only detergent.
I've seen the same bathrobe pocket on the top of the other clothes at the beginning of the wash, and at the end of the wash. Sometimes smaller items get enclosed in the bathrobe. Are these indications that the clothes are not moving around properly in the water? Never had this problem in my old, agitator-based washer with sufficient water.

Update:
After a couple of months of use, I called the LG Tech Support to look at why I was getting so many uE (unbalanced load warnings). The technician came by and immediately replaced the rotor (with magnets around it), saying that there was a batch of them that had magnets that were not exactly identical in power causing some issues. Well, I still see uE warnings today. He did not indicate that my machine was not level or anything like that. He did say to avoid the default (cotton/normal) cycle because it uses very little water (to qualify for the washer HE rating), and that tends to cause more instances of unbalanced loads. Use Bright Whites, Pure Color and Bulky/Bedding is what he said.

2nd Update:
The washer is ripping our clothes in a different way than my previous agitator-based washer did.
If I use medium or high spin speed, the wet clothes can occasionally get stretched/pulled during the spin cycle, and this causes rips in strange places. I have to manually switch to use low spin speed with every wash load now, and that negates any energy savings of getting the clothes a little more dry by the higher spin speeds.

3rd Update:
I have figured out a way to get more water in the Pure Colors wash: simply pause the washer once it begins washing, open the lid and push/pull/move the clothes around manually, maybe add an extra item to wash. Then close the lid and resume the wash cycle. In a short while, it will intake more water until the max limit, and continue the wash cycle.
It is a pain to have to do this with every wash, but clothes move more freely and tend to wash better this way, I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars LG WT1101CW, December 5, 2013
J. Lindner (MN United States) - See all my reviews
I waited a few months before I wrote a review on this product. I wanted to have time to come to understand how this washer performs and what it's challenges were before I wrote down my thoughts. I think this is a very good washing machine, not worthy of five stars, but surely worth a solid four stars.

This machine has several cycles ranging from 35 minutes to over an hour. However, the actual time is longer than the 35 minutes if the load goes into imbalance and the machine resets itself. This might be frustrating to some but the technology wants the machine to correct itself. Aside from the wash cycles there are rinse and spin or spin only cycles. Do not put waterproof items in the washer as it will damage it.

The most prominent thing you will immediately recognize is how quiet this washer is. Standing next to it you can barely hear it washing. Spin cycles are a little louder, but if your laundry is on the main floor of your house, the machine will not disrupt your activities. The machine advertises that it saves water and energy which may be true, but without submetering your water or electricity, it would be tricky to come at a firm number. The fact that it spins at a high rate of speed (there are four spin settings: high, medium, low, and none) removes a lot of water meaning that your dry times will be faster than a conventional washer with agitator.

To operate the machine simply place your items in the drum and add detergent to the dispenser and select a cycle. The machine will determine load size and the amount of water needed. Note that if you fill the machine plumb full, it will likely go into imbalance mode. If the machine cannot correct the imbalance, it will shut down. This may lead some people to criticize the design, but keep in mind it is not a commercial washer at a laundromat. Think through how much you put in the machine and do two loads if necessary. Again, some will say this will not save as much, but overfilling a conventional washer will not get the clothes clean and cause excessive wear on the motor. Save yourself the hassle and do not fill the machine barrel more than half way. It has a large capacity, 4.3 cu. ft. so you can get a lot of clothes in it.

When I was considering a new washer I knew I wanted something different than the old standard agitator machine. Front loaders seemed too low to the ground if I didn't want to buy the base for an additional $200+ so the choice came down to Samsung or LG. I settled on LG and have been generally pleased thus far. I say I'm generally pleased as I have overloaded my machine and had it stop. I've selected lengthy cycles that seemed to take forever to finish. I've loaded only towels and had the machine go into imbalance. I've learned from my earlier mistakes and am not displeased with my choice. I did purchase a warranty plan from my local appliance dealer because this technology is still relatively new. I may have wasted my money but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So four or five months into my ownership of this washer I feel like I've gotten to know this machine relatively well. Would I buy it again? Yes. Would I switch to a different brand? Not necessarily. As I said at the start of this review, it is a very good machine, but it's not perfect. I did not buy this from Amazon as I felt more comfortable buying it from a local dealer who can also service my machine should it need repairs. I like this machine a lot and do not regret my selection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine, February 18, 2013
I bought this elsewhere to get haul-away, but feel it helpful to add a review here. Replacing a 12 year old top loader. This one is as automatic as I could imagine. Just load in the clothes, load the liquids to their dispensers, close the door, push a few easy to reach up front buttons, and come back later. It "weighs" the load and adjusts the water, it has every useful cycle/water/spin speed combination. BUT, ..... read the instructions first ! The front edge of the top folds under when open so the top can clear under a shelf 14-3/4" above the machine (55" off floor). Yes, it takes longer, up to 1-1/2 hours, but that is a measure of convenience, not performance. Besides, it has a delay start capability so you can almost set it to end when it is convenient. It runs very smoothly with no of vibration; it seems to self-rebalance the load if needed. The stainless steel tub is quite large capacity; I've done a queen comforter easily. The top spin speed leaves clothes dry enough to reduce time in the dryer compared to my old washer. An installation tip: screw the rear feet out 3/8" first, position machine, adjust side to side level, then lock and position; then make the front foot level adjustments. The one note: the tub is fairly deep which may call for a serious stretch to the bottom for shorter folks. Otherwise, score one for modern technology.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbalanced loads are a disaster, January 27, 2014
I've never had problems with unbalanced loads on other washing machines, but with this one it's a problem about once a week. What makes this really bad is the way the machine tries to fix it: it pours more water in and swishes it around to try to re-balance the clothing. Unfortunately, this leads to the following cycle:

Start a load
During the spin cycle, the machine decides it's unbalanced and tries to fix it.
This fails (I'm not sure if it ever works).
I discover that my laundry isn't ready to go into the dryer after all.
Manually re-balance the load.
Run another spin cycle.
Machine decides it's still unbalanced, and proceeds to pour water on it to try to fix it.
This fails.
My laundry is now wetter than it was when I manually rebalanced it before.
Repeat until you finally give up and put soaking wet clothes in your dryer for a few hours.

I've been washing the same load (on and off) for over five hours now, and I'm sitting in front of my computer wondering whether to replace a five-month-old washing machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars LG Customer Service is a NIGHTMARE., January 27, 2014
If you happen to get a lemon that keeps breaking, their service department is a nightmare. They never have technicians who can work on it and refer you out to other repair shops. No one you talk to in customer service has any information other than "your request still hasn't been processed...sorry...nothing else I can do". Supervisors never answer their phone. And if you request a replacement for a unit that has broken three times, they won't process it in the time they promised and will keep telling you to give them another week for processing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, October 2, 2013
I just got this today. Will edit this in a few weeks/months when we've put it to the test. For now, you should know that it's available from the big appliance store with an "S" or the big blue and yellow electronics store for $629, and since the big Orange Home store offers price matching and free delivery/install, it's a much better deal than Amazon.

November 2013: After a month of use, I love this machine. Obviously, I can't speak to durability but the way this thing washes clothes/bedding etc is awesome. I have never had an unbalanced load, the clothes come out nearly dry after a spin, and lately my kids watch more washing clothes through the clear top than they do the T.V. My only "problem" is that I frequently (more often than I thought possible) wash more clothes than my older dryer can handle. Time to get the matching piece, I think!

1.0 out of 5 stars Problem with this machine, February 3, 2014
I purchased this washer in October and think it's awful. The uneven load error message appears on almost every load and as a result, the machine stops mid-cycle. This machine should be taken off the market and redesigned. Even when it's working, the normal wash cycle takes 57 minutes. By the time you shift the clothes around each time the machine stops as a result of the UE error message, it can take 3 or 4 hours to do a single load (assuming you're standing by to fix it every time the machine stops).