5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent
Published on October 29, 2012 by Sers

Published 20 months ago by M. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, October 29, 2012
This review is from: LG WT5070CW Wave 4.7 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer - Energy Star
When we decided to upgrade our washer I scoured the internet looking at review after review for all different brands and types. Immediately I realized that front loaders were out. Why should you have to perform extra cleaning to your washer so it doesn't smell like mildew? So after cutting the field in half, I wanted large capacity, energy and water efficiency and last but most important cleaning effectiveness. So why did I pick this particular model? Large capacity, it can handle our king sized comforter. It can handle an entire hamper of clothes. It literally cuts laundry time in half. Cold water cleaning, we rarely use warm/hot and this machine does well cleaning on cold cycle. The trademarked Cold Wash option is more for small loads, but the regular cycle does fine. Water usage is a lot less than our old whirlpool but cleans just as well if not better. Overall this washer is more energy efficient than my old one due to more clothes washed at one time, less water usage and shorter wash times. I also like the fact the motor is direct drive and comes with a 10 year warranty. I was worried about the control panel going out or the thing just dying within the first few months, but over a year later and haven't had any problems. I also bought the matching dryer which is going strong as well. To sum it all up, for the price compared to many other smaller, stinky, inferior washers I am completely satisfied with my choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Product and Coupled with Non-existent Customer Service, April 19, 2013
Bad sensors are definitely a problem with this model. I can't wash a small load of clothes or run a tub clean cycle without getting a UE load error. I have been trying for over a month to get this resolved. Finally got LG to get someone out to check on the issue. They ordered a new sensor, replaced it a week later, and the washer still has the same errors. LG refused to get someone else to come out and fix the wsher. They called the same repair company who never returned to finish the job. After calling LG again today, they finally agreed to contact another repair service. After elevating this to a supervisor, it is my opinion that LG knows they have a problem and they extend the process until you either give up and buy a different brand of washer or hire a lawyer to get your money refunded. If you are considering buying this washer...DON'T or you will have regrets! It is about time that we file a Class Action Lawsuit against LG, junk your LG washer, and find another brand!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible washer!!!, May 30, 2014
We actually bought this set from Home Depot and I tried to leave this negative feedback on their website. Home Depot rejected my review, saying they "don't post all negative feedback". Keep that in mind when buying from their site. Just because an item has 800 5-star ratings and 50 1-star ratings means nothing. They set it up that way! Anyway, about this washer...it is constantly out of balance, so the washer will re-fill and drain about 5 times before it notifies you that it is unbalanced. Not exactly energy efficient. If and when it is out of balance, which is 3 of 5 loads, unless you stand by to baby-sit the washer to re-arrange the clothing inside, a wash cycle can use 6 tubs of water and 4 hours to finish. It is supposed to use less detergent. Yeah, not so much. If you use the recommended 1 tablespoon, your laundry will come out smelling the same way as it went in. Even my husband longed for our old set, as at least the clothes SMELLED clean when they came out. The washer uses very little water (when it isn't out balance). On one hand, that helps the water bill. On the other hand, the clothes on the top of the load barely get wet, and more than once I have had to send a load through an extra rinse cycle or 2 to get the fabric softener spots out. I really liked using the Downy Unstoppable pellets. Not anymore. Not only do they not get rinsed out, they will be gummy little globs all over your clothes. Even after a wash cycle and 2 rinse cycles.
I absolutely HATED this washer. I sold it and bought a front load, and couldn't be happier. Do not buy this set!!

1.0 out of 5 stars By far the WORST Washer I have ever used, June 5, 2014
This is by far the worst washing machine I have ever used. I have actually watched the wash cycle (through the cool top glass) on several settings, and I can say this with certainty. There is never enough water in the barrel to adequately wash the clothes to get clean. As the tub is washing and thrusting the clothes around, only the clothes on the bottom are even being hit by water. The clothes on the top 2/3 are not even getting wet or hitting the water. Every time I wash a load of clothes, I have to add water by pushing the 'water plus' button at least 2 times. Only then do all of the clothes get thrown around in water. Now, another complaint I have is that the clothes come out extremely tangled...all of the time, thus very wrinkled. What does this mean for me...well...for every load of laundry that I wash I have to remember to go into my laundry room about 5-10 minutes after the load has started and push the 'water plus' button at least 2 times in order to feel comfortable that my family's clothing is actually getting washed.
I realize this is an energy efficient machine, but clothes have to be washed in water to get clean. In this washing machine, without adding additional water as I mentioned above, the bulk of the load would not get washed in water. Terrible product, I wish I could get my money back and find another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars The money I paid was good, but this washer is not., December 11, 2013
Restoration Hobbyist (College Park, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Washer tries to wash a full load of laundry in 3.5" of water. Clothes cannot move about in that little water so they come out with some areas clean and others not. Company says "Oh, it's high efficiency. That's the way it's supposed to work!" The "impeller" (its alternative to an agitator)severely twists and knots clothes, an extra step is needed to untie them prior to tossing washing in the dryer. The washer is placarded against washing any waterproof items, so no shower curtains, no GoreTex rain gear, no shoes, no rubber-backed carpets. If clothes aren't evenly distributed at the end of any cycle prior to spinning, the washer will repeatedly refill with water and agitate again trying to even the load (not so high efficiency). If it can't even the load, it will simply shut down and fail to finish the load. Nice surprise when you come in expecting your wash to be done and you have to start it over. I want my money back and I want a machine that does what it says it will do. I did due diligence and this machine was highly rated, but it is inherently defective. Don't buy it. As you read reviews for it, notice the length of time people have had it before they review. The good reviews are mostly from new owners, the bad ones from folks who've used it a while. It is not just this machine, most of the new HE machines are receiving similar feedback. I have had very few disappointments with a major purchase in my life, but this one is near the top. They took my money and gave me dirty clothes.

So... I was able to return this machine for a refund. I bought a simple Whirlpool machine that lets me set the load size, wash temp, and cycle strength manually. Both it and its companion dryer cost a little less than one-half the cost of this washer and its companion dryer. The Whirlpool should last long enough for the makers of HE machines to work out the bugs and in the meantime, I have $1,000 back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbalanced, November 21, 2013
We bought this model because of its gigantic capacity and tub design with no agitator which (we presumed) would be great for washing large items like king size blankets. After using it for several months, following all the instructions for how to load, how to combine items for maximum performance, which cycle to use, how much and what type of detergent to use, etc etc we find that it simply DOES NOT CLEAN WELL. Our old cheap agitator model was consistently better at getting clothes clean. But the biggest gripe is that it stops many times during wash and rinse cycles due to Unbalanced Load indicators. One time I actually counted 10 TIMES I had to go over and redistribute the load and start it up again. It happens every single time we wash a blanket. Not a comforter mind you, just a regular cotton blanket. Or bed sheets. Even though we select "Bulky/Bedding" setting. So frustrating. The last straw was when it kept getting unbalance signal with a load of underwear. I hear the familiar warning chime, walk over, and find hubbies underwear distributed just about as evenly as can be around the tub. We had a technician come out during warranty period and he could not find any malfunction. Therefore it is simply poor design or engineering. I am finally getting around to writing reviews on various sites because today am experiencing another 4+ hour drama of Unbalanced Loads. Expensive machine that does not clean well or perform well. Highly disappointed but too late to return it to Home Depot.

1.0 out of 5 stars My Worst Purchase, July 8, 2014
Probably the worst purchase we’ve made in a long time. We've had this washer for over two months, which is long enough to form an opinion and get to know it. The washer does a great job cleaning clothes and its washing load is larger than our dryer capacity; something we didn’t think about! It was top rated in Consumer Reports. However, as many others have complained on other sites, this washer goes out of balance very easily -- too easily! (Its physically level side-to-side, front-to-back. I checked it three times!) The worst part is there is no audible alarm to tell you the washer has stopped washing! The first you’ll know something went wrong is when you go to do second load and discover the first is not done.

The washer will try to rebalance several times. This entails filling the basket with water and agitating then flushing the water and trying again. This process can happen many times before it gives up completely. This totally defeats the water saving benefits for which one would buy a high efficiency washer!

It seems counter intuitive, but the larger the load the less the chance of going out of balance. The problem seems more common with smaller loads of somewhat dissimilar items. Let’s say you’re washing bed sheets and find a cotton towel you missed when washing all the towels. You add the bath towel to the sheets. That one cotton bath towel will hold more water than the permanent press sheets. When spin time comes, the washer will go out of balance. One pair of jeans with some permanent press casual shirts - forget it.

Even with similar items it sometimes has trouble. I got called out of town on short notice and needed to run a very small load of underwear and socks. Much to my dismay the washer got out of balance because the clothes didn’t evenly distribute around the tub. Frustrating.

I gave the lowest marks for value since a washer that doesn't run to completion 1 out of 10 washes is not meeting my needs and therefore of low value and a continuous irritation. I can’t recommend this washer.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy! will not clean your clothes, July 19, 2014
We bought this based on the high ratings less than a month ago. I was reluctant to buy LG since it was a washing machine and LG isnt normally the first or even 2nd manufacturer you would think of for washers. We previously had a front-load GEwasher which kept breaking, so no more GE for me.
After installation, we did several loads of clothes. The first loads didn't come out smelling clean at all with just the tide pod, as they had in our old washer, so I decided to add detergent in the dispenser in addn to the tide pod. Ok, now better/cleaner smell, but for some reason, any residue/particles/lint from any previous washed load remains in the washer, then sticks all over thr next load.Very odd.

Then came the white load.
I had a pack of brand new socks. Pulled a couple pairs out, wore them, they got a bit dirty on the bottom from the tile floors. Washed my whites. NO STAINS OR DIRT CAME OUT!! the whites, including my socks, ended up looking just as dirty as when they went in the washer! I did pre-treat one item where my toddler pooped on it, and have since washed it 3x, each time pre-treating in same spot without drying it after, and the poop stain still will not come out using this machine. At first, I thought, clearly I am missing something...so, I read the not-helpful manual. It recommended using the pre-soak button when putting detergent in the pre-soak compartment, which it did not show a picture of, so I figured it must be the same as the detergent dispenser. Trying that still did not get any stains or dirt out.
So, don't be stupid like me and waste your $$$ on a product originally known for cell phones. Buy a highly-rated product from a company who has been making washers for years. Dont buy this one.

UPDATE:
We bought this at Best Buy and the above review was flagged as having inappropriate language. Really? So I had to modify it. LG would not let me post a review.
Best Buy, to their credit, is letting us return it and exchange for a different machine. Hopefully they will not charge the restocking fee they are famous for, as their website is clearly biased on the reviews, and I had my eye on a different machine and the sales guy convinced me to get this one, as it was bigger and on sale for cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this washer!, November 4, 2012
Amazon Customer (Wailua, Kauai, HI) - See all my reviews
We did some online research and ended up with this washer. I've tried 4 different front loading washers, included a big one we use for a vacation rental business. I just wasn't happy. Right away I love my top loader. I'll never go back.

This model is great. It will wash HUGE loads of laundry, and yes, they come out clean! I have 4 soccer playing boys who also work on cars, so I know what dirty laundry is. This one has plenty of wash cycles to choose from, including a speed wash which I occasionally need.

Another peeve with my side loader was that even with a second rinse, using right amount of the special low suds soap, my clothes were a bit soapy and sometimes there were suds on the door of the washer. I just haven't needed the second rinse with this LG top loader. The clothes are really rinsed the first time. There is also an option to add extra water in the tub during a cycle, which I haven't used yet.

Finally, I like the tap cold water setting on this machine. Electricity is expensive in Hawaii, so I'm glad to know that my washer isn't using up any of my hot water.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started with UE error now it randomly leaks water all over my house., January 28, 2014
We have had this machine for just over a year. Started out with major issues with the speed that this washer pumps water to the drain which quickly overwhelmed the old plumbing in my previous house. It would also frequently error out due to an unbalanced load and quit working. Now just after the warranty expired at one year, this piece of excrement has started leaking water from its underside all over my laundry room floor. People giving this unit good reviews clearly haven't owned it long enough for it to break. If I could give it zero stars I would. Now I am looking at paying another $1000 to buy a new washer to replace my new washer that lg won't touch since it started leaking within a week of the warranty expiring.