5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent
Published 22 months ago by Sers

Published 16 months ago by M. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, October 29, 2012
This review is from: LG WT5070CW Wave 4.7 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer - Energy Star
When we decided to upgrade our washer I scoured the internet looking at review after review for all different brands and types. Immediately I realized that front loaders were out. Why should you have to perform extra cleaning to your washer so it doesn't smell like mildew? So after cutting the field in half, I wanted large capacity, energy and water efficiency and last but most important cleaning effectiveness. So why did I pick this particular model? Large capacity, it can handle our king sized comforter. It can handle an entire hamper of clothes. It literally cuts laundry time in half. Cold water cleaning, we rarely use warm/hot and this machine does well cleaning on cold cycle. The trademarked Cold Wash option is more for small loads, but the regular cycle does fine. Water usage is a lot less than our old whirlpool but cleans just as well if not better. Overall this washer is more energy efficient than my old one due to more clothes washed at one time, less water usage and shorter wash times. I also like the fact the motor is direct drive and comes with a 10 year warranty. I was worried about the control panel going out or the thing just dying within the first few months, but over a year later and haven't had any problems. I also bought the matching dryer which is going strong as well. To sum it all up, for the price compared to many other smaller, stinky, inferior washers I am completely satisfied with my choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Product and Coupled with Non-existent Customer Service, April 19, 2013
Bad sensors are definitely a problem with this model. I can't wash a small load of clothes or run a tub clean cycle without getting a UE load error. I have been trying for over a month to get this resolved. Finally got LG to get someone out to check on the issue. They ordered a new sensor, replaced it a week later, and the washer still has the same errors. LG refused to get someone else to come out and fix the wsher. They called the same repair company who never returned to finish the job. After calling LG again today, they finally agreed to contact another repair service. After elevating this to a supervisor, it is my opinion that LG knows they have a problem and they extend the process until you either give up and buy a different brand of washer or hire a lawyer to get your money refunded. If you are considering buying this washer...DON'T or you will have regrets! It is about time that we file a Class Action Lawsuit against LG, junk your LG washer, and find another brand!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible washer!!!, May 30, 2014
We actually bought this set from Home Depot and I tried to leave this negative feedback on their website. Home Depot rejected my review, saying they "don't post all negative feedback". Keep that in mind when buying from their site. Just because an item has 800 5-star ratings and 50 1-star ratings means nothing. They set it up that way! Anyway, about this washer...it is constantly out of balance, so the washer will re-fill and drain about 5 times before it notifies you that it is unbalanced. Not exactly energy efficient. If and when it is out of balance, which is 3 of 5 loads, unless you stand by to baby-sit the washer to re-arrange the clothing inside, a wash cycle can use 6 tubs of water and 4 hours to finish. It is supposed to use less detergent. Yeah, not so much. If you use the recommended 1 tablespoon, your laundry will come out smelling the same way as it went in. Even my husband longed for our old set, as at least the clothes SMELLED clean when they came out. The washer uses very little water (when it isn't out balance). On one hand, that helps the water bill. On the other hand, the clothes on the top of the load barely get wet, and more than once I have had to send a load through an extra rinse cycle or 2 to get the fabric softener spots out. I really liked using the Downy Unstoppable pellets. Not anymore. Not only do they not get rinsed out, they will be gummy little globs all over your clothes. Even after a wash cycle and 2 rinse cycles.
I absolutely HATED this washer. I sold it and bought a front load, and couldn't be happier. Do not buy this set!!

1.0 out of 5 stars The money I paid was good, but this washer is not., December 11, 2013
Restoration Hobbyist (College Park, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Washer tries to wash a full load of laundry in 3.5" of water. Clothes cannot move about in that little water so they come out with some areas clean and others not. Company says "Oh, it's high efficiency. That's the way it's supposed to work!" The "impeller" (its alternative to an agitator)severely twists and knots clothes, an extra step is needed to untie them prior to tossing washing in the dryer. The washer is placarded against washing any waterproof items, so no shower curtains, no GoreTex rain gear, no shoes, no rubber-backed carpets. If clothes aren't evenly distributed at the end of any cycle prior to spinning, the washer will repeatedly refill with water and agitate again trying to even the load (not so high efficiency). If it can't even the load, it will simply shut down and fail to finish the load. Nice surprise when you come in expecting your wash to be done and you have to start it over. I want my money back and I want a machine that does what it says it will do. I did due diligence and this machine was highly rated, but it is inherently defective. Don't buy it. As you read reviews for it, notice the length of time people have had it before they review. The good reviews are mostly from new owners, the bad ones from folks who've used it a while. It is not just this machine, most of the new HE machines are receiving similar feedback. I have had very few disappointments with a major purchase in my life, but this one is near the top. They took my money and gave me dirty clothes.

So... I was able to return this machine for a refund. I bought a simple Whirlpool machine that lets me set the load size, wash temp, and cycle strength manually. Both it and its companion dryer cost a little less than one-half the cost of this washer and its companion dryer. The Whirlpool should last long enough for the makers of HE machines to work out the bugs and in the meantime, I have $1,000 back.

1.0 out of 5 stars By far the WORST Washer I have ever used, June 5, 2014
This is by far the worst washing machine I have ever used. I have actually watched the wash cycle (through the cool top glass) on several settings, and I can say this with certainty. There is never enough water in the barrel to adequately wash the clothes to get clean. As the tub is washing and thrusting the clothes around, only the clothes on the bottom are even being hit by water. The clothes on the top 2/3 are not even getting wet or hitting the water. Every time I wash a load of clothes, I have to add water by pushing the 'water plus' button at least 2 times. Only then do all of the clothes get thrown around in water. Now, another complaint I have is that the clothes come out extremely tangled...all of the time, thus very wrinkled. What does this mean for me...well...for every load of laundry that I wash I have to remember to go into my laundry room about 5-10 minutes after the load has started and push the 'water plus' button at least 2 times in order to feel comfortable that my family's clothing is actually getting washed.
I realize this is an energy efficient machine, but clothes have to be washed in water to get clean. In this washing machine, without adding additional water as I mentioned above, the bulk of the load would not get washed in water. Terrible product, I wish I could get my money back and find another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbalanced, November 21, 2013
We bought this model because of its gigantic capacity and tub design with no agitator which (we presumed) would be great for washing large items like king size blankets. After using it for several months, following all the instructions for how to load, how to combine items for maximum performance, which cycle to use, how much and what type of detergent to use, etc etc we find that it simply DOES NOT CLEAN WELL. Our old cheap agitator model was consistently better at getting clothes clean. But the biggest gripe is that it stops many times during wash and rinse cycles due to Unbalanced Load indicators. One time I actually counted 10 TIMES I had to go over and redistribute the load and start it up again. It happens every single time we wash a blanket. Not a comforter mind you, just a regular cotton blanket. Or bed sheets. Even though we select "Bulky/Bedding" setting. So frustrating. The last straw was when it kept getting unbalance signal with a load of underwear. I hear the familiar warning chime, walk over, and find hubbies underwear distributed just about as evenly as can be around the tub. We had a technician come out during warranty period and he could not find any malfunction. Therefore it is simply poor design or engineering. I am finally getting around to writing reviews on various sites because today am experiencing another 4+ hour drama of Unbalanced Loads. Expensive machine that does not clean well or perform well. Highly disappointed but too late to return it to Home Depot.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this washer!, November 4, 2012
Amazon Customer (Wailua, Kauai, HI) - See all my reviews
We did some online research and ended up with this washer. I've tried 4 different front loading washers, included a big one we use for a vacation rental business. I just wasn't happy. Right away I love my top loader. I'll never go back.

This model is great. It will wash HUGE loads of laundry, and yes, they come out clean! I have 4 soccer playing boys who also work on cars, so I know what dirty laundry is. This one has plenty of wash cycles to choose from, including a speed wash which I occasionally need.

Another peeve with my side loader was that even with a second rinse, using right amount of the special low suds soap, my clothes were a bit soapy and sometimes there were suds on the door of the washer. I just haven't needed the second rinse with this LG top loader. The clothes are really rinsed the first time. There is also an option to add extra water in the tub during a cycle, which I haven't used yet.

Finally, I like the tap cold water setting on this machine. Electricity is expensive in Hawaii, so I'm glad to know that my washer isn't using up any of my hot water.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started with UE error now it randomly leaks water all over my house., January 28, 2014
We have had this machine for just over a year. Started out with major issues with the speed that this washer pumps water to the drain which quickly overwhelmed the old plumbing in my previous house. It would also frequently error out due to an unbalanced load and quit working. Now just after the warranty expired at one year, this piece of excrement has started leaking water from its underside all over my laundry room floor. People giving this unit good reviews clearly haven't owned it long enough for it to break. If I could give it zero stars I would. Now I am looking at paying another $1000 to buy a new washer to replace my new washer that lg won't touch since it started leaking within a week of the warranty expiring.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst washer ever, June 18, 2013
Derek (RAVENSDALE, WA, US) - See all my reviews
When we bought this washer we had read lots of reviews and even talked to repair facilities to check on the repair history of this model. We felt confidant in buying due to the lack of negative responses. Unfortunately, it appears that this model was new and didn't have much of a history yet. within 3 months our washer blew apart in our house. The top of the washer was hanging from the wall by the water lines which thankfully kept it from going airborne in our home and hitting the hot water heater. I contacted LG and it took them over 2 months to replace the washer, in which time I had bought a washer off of craigslist, which worked better and longer than our $1000 LG.
*UPDATE*
It has been a year and a half with the replacement washer and it is now vibrating badly, and the consumer protection agency has forced LG into performing a recall fix. Unfortunately their fix consists of slowing down the spin cycle, thus leaving your laundry wet and rendering the advantages of a High Efficiency Washer that requires 3 times the drying time(=lots of $ in power for drying).

If you are reading this and still considering the washer, run far far away from this badly engineered piece of equipment and company that doesn't care to support their products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaked after 2 weeks. LG Awful Customer Service. Now without a working washer over 1 month., May 13, 2014
TheDalaz (Sanatoga, PA) - See all my reviews
We purchased an LG WT5070CW washer from our local Best Buy for about $800 for our family of four. After just over 2 weeks of use (outside of a straight return date to Best Buy), it started spraying water out of the bottom. The repairman that came out saw issues he didn't feel were reasonably fixable. He tried to condemn the unit but LG refused. They will fight tooth and nail to avoid replacing a unit. Long story short, after a sad series of LG repair attempts, many phone calls and chats with LG customer service, them "losing" copies of our receipts multiple times, and our having to travel, beg borrow and steal to get laundry done, they refused to do anything to assist us (a loner machine, a replacement, a stipend towards a Laundromat, a coupon, or even a straight apology). All we got was "that must be inconvenient". We have now been over a month without a working machine and they are just now talking about replacing it. But they state that will take additional paperwork on their part and processing documents with Best Buy that will lead to a another 2 weeks (1.5 months without a washer) before we can get a new machine. I don't even want this piece of ___ and I just want my money back to buy something from a company that knows what Customer Service means. This was my 1st and definitely my last LG product. My recommendation - STAY AWAY FROM LG!!!!!

Rate and Discover Movies