Most helpful critical review
63 of 81 people found the following review helpful
NOT WORTH THE INVESTMENT!
on May 30, 2013
We bought the LG Front Load two years ago - my husband's impulsive Black Friday purchase. Two years into it, here is what I can say:
1) The machine starts out by doing a test spin to determine the volume of laundry, and adjusts the water supply accordingly. However, there have been times when that machine was FULL, and it still showed only two bars for fullness (instead of three). Consequently, I have washed an entire load of clothing, only to take it out and discover that the clothing in the middle of the load was BONE DRY.
2) It leaks. It leaks little tiny river trails from the bottom of the lid. This can be annoying.
3) The spin cycle on it is RIDICULOUSLY unbalanced. We leveled the unit per the instructions, our floor is level, etc., but when the spin cycle kicks in, the entire house shakes. I've learned not to do laundry when we have people over, otherwise, our guests get scared thinking there is an earthquake.
4) Speaking of spin cycles - sometimes, for no apparent reason, it just doesn't drain all of the water. I guess that is why they have a separate "spin" you can put the setting on. The manufacturers must have known this happens.
5) This is the only washing machine I have ever owned that requires regular maintenance to keep it from getting gross. In no time at all, the inside rubber gasket rim gets full of gross crud, as does the inside of the clear lid. On a traditional top loader, I would have to clean the inside lid maybe once a year. On this thing, it really needs to be cleaned once a week or more.
6) Speaking of gross - don't make the mistake of leaving the lid closed when not in use. You will come home to a stink factory. This is particularly annoying, if, like me, you like your laundry room buttoned up and tidy. But nope, gotta keep that big old door hanging open. This leads me to wonder, if a simple closed door can breed so many organisms that the entire laundry room will smell, just how sanitary is the entire unit? You know, a unit designed to make things clean?
7) Speaking of clean - clothes come out OK, but not stellar. I was expecting stellar from all of the advertising LG had been doing on these machines. The only way for me to get clothes as clean as I prefer is to do a prewash, a stain cycle, and an extra rinse.
8) The large capacity is misleading. At full capacity, the clothes do not come out clean at all. At half capacity, the clothes come out okay.
9) Additional annoyances: The writing on the buttons started to flake off after about 6 months. Really, LG? Really? The cherry red coating on the plastic components (like the soap dispenser drawer) started melting off after about 6 months also, meaning each time I open that little drawer to pour in the laundry soap, my fingers get coated in red melted goo. Note: this drawer needs to be cleaned out regularly, too!
10) Positives: It looks nice with the red. The accompanying dryer is AWESOME and FAST.
11) Bottom Line: After noticing that my drain pan was full of water this morning, I just couldn't take it anymore. We are moving this set into the garage and buying a Kenmore or Maytag top loader set.