5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone
I've had this phone for about one week, and I have been very pleased with it so far -- and I am very picky. Being a new phone with very few reviews, I was skeptical.
I was looking for something to replace an older Pantech Link, that I use primarily for talking hands-free while driving and for texting.
I didn't want another phone with a data plan(already have...
Published on May 20, 2012 by Gearhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Best AT&T Texting Phone, but Could Be Better
Update 04/04/13: See K Montgomerey's comment to my review - although I've been hoping for a firmware update, DON'T INSTALL IT until LG confirms that they've cleared the bugs.

--------------

One of the maddening things about AT&T is that if you connect a smartphone to their system (and they catch you), you automatically get upgraded to a data plan...
Published on May 29, 2012 by Joseph

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't like this phone., April 17, 2013
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Sadly, I really dislike this phone. I do usually like LG phones, but not this one. I got it a few months ago, liked it at first because of the keyboard feature, but now I'm online shopping for a new phone. The keyboard buttons are tiny and hard to push. I'm a girl so I don't have big fingers. The touch screen sucks. Sometimes it takes me at least 5 tries to open a multimedia message because I can't get it to hit the tiny spot! And every time you miss it, it closes the message. Also the picture quality is poor. And you have to have it at just the right angle to even see your picture clearly. You can't send video messages either, even when under 10 seconds. When making a phone call, the screen automatically locks. This is annoying if you want to put it on speaker right away or something. The clock thing is inconvenient. It is a little box on the home screen, and you can't see it unless you're on the home screen. Anyway, I'm disappointed. If anyone knows of a good relatively inexpensive similar type phone, please let me know!

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was me...and a solution, February 17, 2014
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone for free because AT&T was upgrading their service in our mostly rural area, and they sent me a letter saying that my old flip phone wouldn't work well pretty soon. I thought it was too good to be true, and actually, I got texting and internet connection free, which I'd never had before. BUT - this phone is terrible! I thought it was me. It's the first touch-screen phone I've owned, and I am extremely tech savvy for my age (and for a lot of other, younger people's ages as well) but this phone had me questioning whether I was losing my cognitive abilities until I read other reviews at various sites. The screen blacks out too quickly, the phone makes calls on its own while you are talking to someone else (I thought maybe my earring had touched the screen and activated my contacts...), things appear randomly on the screen when you haven't touched it, and so on.

BUT HERE'S THE SOLUTION! I called AT&T and a very savvy customer service rep said: Go to WalMart, buy a GoPhone, and take your LG to the AT&T store. They will switch your sim card into the GoPhone and it should be free. I figured I'd give the LG Xpression a little more time to behave, but it really helps knowing I can ditch it someday if I can't stand it anymore.

2.0 out of 5 stars Holy Cow This Screen is Sensitive, April 17, 2013
Stephen Churay (Denham Springs, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Overall design is nice. I don't do a lot of texting so any limitation to doing so doesn't bother me. What does bother me, is the touch screen sensitivity. I have a hard time scrolling through my contacts without bringing one into the calling cue. It makes pocket dialing a given so I can't put it in my pocket. Also, I wish the alarm volume was louder. Currently, I take my SIM card out at night and put it in an OLD Razor. That alarm will wake the dead. I'd sleep right through the LG's. For a free phone it's hard to complain but the function issues are hard to get around

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent phone., May 12, 2013
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I'll admit, I'd rather have a smart phone... But that's mostly because having an iPod touch and a cell phone can be a tad weird. I've had this phone for about two months now... And I know that most people say that you should get a case, when in reality, I drop this thing at least once a day, like knocking the battery out and everything and the phone it's just fine minus a couple of nicks in the finish.
As for the keyboard, the buttons are easy to press more than once, meaning that I'll end up with a message like this, "I'llll be tthere soon." However, having them not as protruding as some phones, it's easy to slide your fingers across and get out a message.
The touch screen is nice and I enjoy the accuracy. Now, call me an abuser of my phone, but I text while I'm in the shower, and the phone has still kept up. I remember having the touch screen on one of my previous LG phones just completely stop working.
In some areas it is very slow and likes to take its time thinking. But, it's a good alternative to your mp3. One thing I don't particularly enjoy is that it stops the music to play over your notification sounds. But, it does rewind a few seconds so that you remember where in the song you are.
I have noticed quite a few glitches. One of them being that in the texting app, it'll sometimes label the conversations by their phone numbers rather than by the contact name. But scrolling a little usually fixes it. Another one I noticed that I recently had to fix was that a text message pretended to be there and it couldn't delete it and so the only way I fixed was to completely reset to factory settings. Thank heaven I had my contacts and data on external places.
Another glitch is that when you listen to music, sometime it likes to convince you that it can't find the data for your messaging app and he only way to fix it is to turn the phone off and back on. And finally, I've had it just randomly restart on me. For absolutely no reason.
Overall it's a nice phone, and it's way better than the flip phone I had previously, but it does have its issues which I hope will be fixed sometime soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen lock can not be entirely disabled! Bad feature - deal breaker, September 25, 2012
VBJ "cbartist" (crested butte, co) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I was loving this little phone!! But sadly after 3 weeks of use I will have to send it back.
The screen lock feature can not be entirely disabled. Even if you set the phone to NEVER lock automatically it will ALWAYS lock upon placing call. Really? This is a horrible feature! I called LG to see if there is a way to completely disable screen lock and the rep told me this is a security feature on ALL LG with slide out keyboards. Dispite many attemtps to just deal with this quirk I simply can not. This feature makes the phone vitually useless and I am sending it back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke just out of warrant & AT&T just gives sales pitch, May 15, 2014
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Phone lasted barely a year, just long enough to exceed warranty. AT&T rep refused to help. Just sell sell sell.... Refused to pay $150 for a phone that breaks in 12.5 months. The phone has never been dropped, gotten wet or damaged in any way shape or form. Guys at AT&T store said it was in "pristine" condition. Rep gave them a sales pitch, too. Been with AT&T for 15 years, had last phone for 8 years (also LG). Obviously, LG's quality has gone south and AT&T is losing yet another customer.

This is actually my personal phone. Company phone is droid from AT&T. Have a feeling IT Mgr (me) will switching our 42 phones to a new plan in October. The air cards renew in December. Checking into whether we can pull the iPads. Bye-bye.

When this phone craps out on you, pick up an AT&T Go Phone at Walmart for half the price, plug in SIM card and demand (2nd AT&T rep) do whatever they

2.0 out of 5 stars hate it, May 4, 2014
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
can't carry in my pocket at work without pocket dialing or actuating some other function on the phone and i don't like the slide keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid messaging phone with a good level of customization, July 1, 2012
Build Quality
Solid body and smooth slider operation. Doesn't seem to utilize as thick of a plastic as my wife's Pantech Pursuit II but still solid. I haven't used texting on a phone before though my last phone had an on screen keypad with which I wrote notes, this physical keypad works better and I am less prone to make a mistake so there is less backspacing to make corrections. I will add battery life to this area as so far it has been great and I have not had any problems with it dying prematurely.

OS
The three home screens (contacts, widgets & shortcuts) are useful and switching between them is as easy as swiping across the screen. Though I haven't played with Android phones much from what I have, this home screen operates similar. The transition animation between each home screen is not as smooth as other operations on this phone (like scrolling through contacts) but, it does not lag much. The main settings menu is broken into four separate tabs and navigating between each is very quick and easy. They only annoying feature of this phone is when it locks the screen in between using the dial pad for automated messaging systems.

Texting
Texts are displayed in a conversation view by default but can be also viewed in a standard timeline fashion. As I stated earlier, I have just started texting but the keypad works pretty well for me. The first letter in a sentence is automatically capitalized by default which is nice but if the shift button is pressed before you start typing, ever character is capitalized. The alternate key works the same way, press once for the first character to be an alternate character or twice to keep each successive character as an alternate.

Storage
After removing the back plate and upon inserting an SD card, the phone automatically recognizes the card, adds its own folders and changes the default storage location for photos, videos and music to the card instead of the phone's memory. Adding pictures and music is simple. Use the provided USB data cable to connect the phone to your PC and the phone will automatically ask you to sync music, use the device as mass storage or establish a data connection. Select mass storage and you can immediately add photos and music.

Custom Ringtones
Ringtones are slightly more difficult to add and use. You cannot just use any mp3 file. The file must be both less than 30 seconds and 300kb. For each of my ringtones, as long as they are 30 seconds or less, they can be encoded at up to 80kbps. Once you have files that are under 300kb and less than 30 seconds long, add them to your SD card. From the file manager, you can play the file in the audio player and it will give you the option to click the use as button in the upper right. You can also just go to sounds and then ringtone and the files that meet the above criteria should be listed to select as ringtones.

Call Quality
I have honestly not made many calls but voice quality and volume seems pretty crisp. My last phones were mostly Motorolas and their call quality sounded a bit more natural but this phone's isn't bad. Reception coming over to AT&T and LG from Verizon and Motorola seems slightly lower inside of my one story work building but I haven't had any major problems yet.

Overall
This phone has met most of my expectations and exceeded others. For a free phone the quality on all fronts is great. My only complaints would be the restrictions on ringtones and that the orientation of the screen does not change when rotating the phone. It only changes when sliding out the keypad which is fine. There is also only an option of an onscreen dial pad and not an onscreen keypad which is fine but would have been a nice addition. Also the Brew MP OS does not seem "hackable" as my previous brew or P2k phones but this is made up for in the customization of the home screens. Having a 3.5mm headphone jack sounds nice for some but I never ended up using it on my previous phone. In the end, I would recommend this phone for someone who just wants a solid, simple messaging phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite Disappointing! Too many text issues, September 13, 2012
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
So I bought this phone because after doing alot of research I saw it was highly rated on both amazon and AT&T. I previously had a palm pre (worst phone of my life) so I figured ANYTHING would be better. Also I no longer wanted to pay a monthly fee so since everyone seemed to love this phone I decided to buy it. I must say I am quite disappointed. In the 4.5 hours I`ve had it I have decided to return it asap!

The positive thing about this phone is that its speakers are amazing! At the highest volume (5) it sounds like it could be on speakerphone almost. I like the sleek finish and the color but thats about where my positives stop. There was a handful of things I didn`t like when using this phone that I hadn`t seen on any of the reviews from AT&T or here which I was surprised at. I was willing to deal with the flat buttons, which by the way require some force to press on. (Its like a small workout for my thumbs every time I write a text) and I know that the small storage space would have become a problem but I`m going to tell you what was a deal breaker for me!

As phone focused on texting I would expect it to have a good text platform. No! #1. You have to backspace one letter at a time. If you hold down the backspace button it erases the entire message instead of a word at a time like other phones. #2. When somebody texts you an annoying notification comes up every time, even when you are already in their conversation! You can chose to either view or ignore, but if you view while in the middle of writing a text, your text gets erased. And the last but definitely most annoying #3. THERE IS A 160 CHARACTER LIMIT!!

There were other things that I didn`t like so much; it`s very thick, the graphics look dated, and my battery went from full to dead in 4.5 hours, 1.5 of which I wasn`t using it. But the three texting issues I described above were the dealbreakers for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs, March 27, 2014
BD (Warrenton, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Avoid at all costs. Call quality worst seen to date. Ergonomics with pun constantly turning itself on in your pocket and autodialing. You also have to wake screen constantly to get to any prompts including end call, extremely frustrating. Outgoing texts work about 50% of the time. Fell out of my daughters pocket while kneeling, onto grass and exploded: back fell off, battery flew out?!!? I've dropped my iphone on treadmill and kicked across the gym ---TWICE---- not a scratch.
Beyonf worthless
Do NOT get this phn, you'll be sorry

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›