5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone
I've had this phone for about one week, and I have been very pleased with it so far -- and I am very picky. Being a new phone with very few reviews, I was skeptical.
I was looking for something to replace an older Pantech Link, that I use primarily for talking hands-free while driving and for texting.
I didn't want another phone with a data plan(already have...
Published 23 months ago by Gearhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Best AT&T Texting Phone, but Could Be Better
Update 04/04/13: See K Montgomerey's comment to my review - although I've been hoping for a firmware update, DON'T INSTALL IT until LG confirms that they've cleared the bugs.

--------------

One of the maddening things about AT&T is that if you connect a smartphone to their system (and they catch you), you automatically get upgraded to a data plan...
Published 23 months ago by Joseph

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good basic phone, March 28, 2013
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Bought this phone when I switched from Verizon because it was free with my plan and was the closest option to my Verizon phone - the Samsung Intensity II. I don't need a data plan and I don't call and text too often, but often enough that I wanted a keyboard function. I was pretty happy with the Intensity II and only ditched it because I switched carriers so my review will mostly be comparing how well The Xpression fits me vs my Intensity II.

First of all, the color was attractive. I like the bright, bold, noticeable red, much like I like the bright, metallic blue of the Intensity II. Both phones are similar size and weight. It's a little bulky in width but its also short, which I like because I can tuck it away into my pocket more easily and it's comfortable in my hand.

The touchscreen on the Xpression is more convenient, with 3 main screens and the ability to add widgets. It's faster for me to get to the screen I want without having to go through a layer of folders. However there are a few drawbacks. Unlike my non-touchscreen Intensity, the Xpression keeps the clock and calendar on one page as opposed to being permanently fixed into the corner so if I want to review the time and date, I have to exit back to my home screen. My Intensity had a speaker button next to my accept call button that I could use anytime but the Xpression does not. There's an option to turn on the speaker via a touchscreen button when I go to call a contact but not when I went to set up voicemail, so it was a little annoying to have to continually put the phone to my ear, then take it away to type my codes, then put it back to my ear and have to listen to the prompter twice because I missed the first half of the next instructional message. Another thing that was annoying during this process was the phone locks instantly so everytime I took the phone away from my ear, I would have to light up the screen, unlock it, and then type my code. I changed the settings so that it wouldn't lock but it didn't work. But these are really minor annoyances that I can live with. The sound quality during phone calls has been pretty good so far - no crackling, lost calls, fuzziness, etc.

Texting was probably my biggest issue since that's what I use the phone for most of the time. I like that one of my home screens can hold icons for the contacts I use most so initiating a call or text is incredibly convenient. On my intensity, I had to open my contacts or message folder and find the name I wanted. The Xpression saves me a little time by not having to hunt. One thing I miss from my Intensity that the Xpression doesn't do, is the ability to just start typing and have a text message form instantly. In the Xpression, I have to signal that I want to send a text message first before I can start creating my message. Again, that's just a very minor issue and more of a simple inconvenience rather than a complaint. What I do have a complaint over, however, is the character limit on the Xpression. It goes up to 160 if I reply to a message sent to me, so if I want to send a longer message, I have to start a new message entirely or reply with multiple short messages. I've only had the phone for a couple of days so I'm still debating whether this is enough of an issue for me to want to return it for a phone with no text limit, or if it's something I'll get used to.

Storage is much more easily maintained on the Xpression. Both this one and my previous phone have pretty limited storage capacity but on my last phone, once my limit was reached, I had to delete messages either one by one or by each contact. On my Xpression, I can do either of those options or I can press one button and delete my entire cache of text messages from everyone. Much easier. Also, transferring music and other files between the Xpression and my computer was a breeze. All I had to do was plug it in and it automatically did everything for me. On my Intensity, I had to spend over an hour learning how to get the two devices to connect and transfer because the phone was so finicky. Music uploaded on my last phone would all be jumbled together with the audio tones and I never figured out how to separate it but the Xpression automatically filters my music into the music player, which I can pull up from my homescreen, so I appreciate that. The sound quality of the music is pretty much what you'd expect for a non-smartphone. It's loud enough but a bit tinny - I wouldn't recommend playing music on it without headphones. The tinny sound is also why I wouldn't really go out of my way for a custom ringtone, either; it's more likely to annoy other people who hear it when it rings. There's a voice recorder attached also, but it will only hold about 10 minutes of sound recording.

The camera isn't very good - only 2 megapixels, the same as my Intensity II. But my last phone only took photos and sent photos. The Xpression at least gives you some choices to change the lighting and effects, and you get a basic set of editing tools with some cute extras like stickers, frames, and the ability to make GIFs. So even though the photos aren't the best quality, you can at least play with them a little.

I would say overall it's a pretty decent basic phone. It has some nice perks and is relatively easy to learn how to use. Just keep in mind, this is not a smartphone so don't expect everything to be super-advanced. It does what it's supposed to do fairly well but it can't handle tons of files or 24 hour internet usage at light speed. It's not meant to be a combo of topnotch phone/laptop/camcorder/GPS devices. Overall, aside from the texting limit, I'm pretty happy with the LG Xpression.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent phone., May 12, 2013
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I'll admit, I'd rather have a smart phone... But that's mostly because having an iPod touch and a cell phone can be a tad weird. I've had this phone for about two months now... And I know that most people say that you should get a case, when in reality, I drop this thing at least once a day, like knocking the battery out and everything and the phone it's just fine minus a couple of nicks in the finish.
As for the keyboard, the buttons are easy to press more than once, meaning that I'll end up with a message like this, "I'llll be tthere soon." However, having them not as protruding as some phones, it's easy to slide your fingers across and get out a message.
The touch screen is nice and I enjoy the accuracy. Now, call me an abuser of my phone, but I text while I'm in the shower, and the phone has still kept up. I remember having the touch screen on one of my previous LG phones just completely stop working.
In some areas it is very slow and likes to take its time thinking. But, it's a good alternative to your mp3. One thing I don't particularly enjoy is that it stops the music to play over your notification sounds. But, it does rewind a few seconds so that you remember where in the song you are.
I have noticed quite a few glitches. One of them being that in the texting app, it'll sometimes label the conversations by their phone numbers rather than by the contact name. But scrolling a little usually fixes it. Another one I noticed that I recently had to fix was that a text message pretended to be there and it couldn't delete it and so the only way I fixed was to completely reset to factory settings. Thank heaven I had my contacts and data on external places.
Another glitch is that when you listen to music, sometime it likes to convince you that it can't find the data for your messaging app and he only way to fix it is to turn the phone off and back on. And finally, I've had it just randomly restart on me. For absolutely no reason.
Overall it's a nice phone, and it's way better than the flip phone I had previously, but it does have its issues which I hope will be fixed sometime soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid messaging phone with a good level of customization, July 1, 2012
Build Quality
Solid body and smooth slider operation. Doesn't seem to utilize as thick of a plastic as my wife's Pantech Pursuit II but still solid. I haven't used texting on a phone before though my last phone had an on screen keypad with which I wrote notes, this physical keypad works better and I am less prone to make a mistake so there is less backspacing to make corrections. I will add battery life to this area as so far it has been great and I have not had any problems with it dying prematurely.

OS
The three home screens (contacts, widgets & shortcuts) are useful and switching between them is as easy as swiping across the screen. Though I haven't played with Android phones much from what I have, this home screen operates similar. The transition animation between each home screen is not as smooth as other operations on this phone (like scrolling through contacts) but, it does not lag much. The main settings menu is broken into four separate tabs and navigating between each is very quick and easy. They only annoying feature of this phone is when it locks the screen in between using the dial pad for automated messaging systems.

Texting
Texts are displayed in a conversation view by default but can be also viewed in a standard timeline fashion. As I stated earlier, I have just started texting but the keypad works pretty well for me. The first letter in a sentence is automatically capitalized by default which is nice but if the shift button is pressed before you start typing, ever character is capitalized. The alternate key works the same way, press once for the first character to be an alternate character or twice to keep each successive character as an alternate.

Storage
After removing the back plate and upon inserting an SD card, the phone automatically recognizes the card, adds its own folders and changes the default storage location for photos, videos and music to the card instead of the phone's memory. Adding pictures and music is simple. Use the provided USB data cable to connect the phone to your PC and the phone will automatically ask you to sync music, use the device as mass storage or establish a data connection. Select mass storage and you can immediately add photos and music.

Custom Ringtones
Ringtones are slightly more difficult to add and use. You cannot just use any mp3 file. The file must be both less than 30 seconds and 300kb. For each of my ringtones, as long as they are 30 seconds or less, they can be encoded at up to 80kbps. Once you have files that are under 300kb and less than 30 seconds long, add them to your SD card. From the file manager, you can play the file in the audio player and it will give you the option to click the use as button in the upper right. You can also just go to sounds and then ringtone and the files that meet the above criteria should be listed to select as ringtones.

Call Quality
I have honestly not made many calls but voice quality and volume seems pretty crisp. My last phones were mostly Motorolas and their call quality sounded a bit more natural but this phone's isn't bad. Reception coming over to AT&T and LG from Verizon and Motorola seems slightly lower inside of my one story work building but I haven't had any major problems yet.

Overall
This phone has met most of my expectations and exceeded others. For a free phone the quality on all fronts is great. My only complaints would be the restrictions on ringtones and that the orientation of the screen does not change when rotating the phone. It only changes when sliding out the keypad which is fine. There is also only an option of an onscreen dial pad and not an onscreen keypad which is fine but would have been a nice addition. Also the Brew MP OS does not seem "hackable" as my previous brew or P2k phones but this is made up for in the customization of the home screens. Having a 3.5mm headphone jack sounds nice for some but I never ended up using it on my previous phone. In the end, I would recommend this phone for someone who just wants a solid, simple messaging phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone ever!, December 7, 2013
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Best phone I ever had. I got this phone and it texts quickly with the qwerty board and I can hear really well. Good reception

2.0 out of 5 stars Holy Cow This Screen is Sensitive, April 17, 2013
Stephen Churay (Denham Springs, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Overall design is nice. I don't do a lot of texting so any limitation to doing so doesn't bother me. What does bother me, is the touch screen sensitivity. I have a hard time scrolling through my contacts without bringing one into the calling cue. It makes pocket dialing a given so I can't put it in my pocket. Also, I wish the alarm volume was louder. Currently, I take my SIM card out at night and put it in an OLD Razor. That alarm will wake the dead. I'd sleep right through the LG's. For a free phone it's hard to complain but the function issues are hard to get around

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quick messaging phone!, September 11, 2013
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
As a person who has had many phones, there have been many that I liked and some that I was not all that crazy about. When my Samsung Rugby III flip phone fell in the washing machine and I had to buy a replacement, I chose the LG Xpression. I'm glad that I did. I really like how the phone screen will lock automatically when you make or receive a call. The slide out QWERTY keyboard is a plus and I like the physical buttons for sending and ending a call, as well as the physical button to cancel and go back. The touch screen is pretty responsive and audio quality is clear. The speaker phone could be better, but it works alright. I think the phone is pretty durable. I have dropped it a few times on my wood floor and the phone has worked fine. The slider mechanism feels solid and the microphone on this phone is positioned in a way better spot than on my old Samsung Evergreen. If you are someone who does not want a smart phone, but wants a physical keyboard phone, this would probably work for you. I recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be a good phone for lite users., November 27, 2012
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Short and sweet. I have to agree with the other reviews as written. My biggest con is becoming the same con with phones and high learning curve software packs. The manufacturers want us to spend a whole lot of time searching the web for information on how the product works or how to use it. Just trying to find out how to transfer pictures from my phone to my computer aside from emailing them back and forth. I am no spring chicken anymore but good clear instructions from the manufacturer would be Idea although it would cost money they do not want to spend. Even a good detailed instruction pack on the web would be terrific.

Cons
Slippery Case
Very Minimal Instructions.
Nothing about moving pictures to or from a computer although most people know how it should work.

Large clear screen.
Keyboard is great for the older generation that still types words out.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PHONE!, November 8, 2012
GREAT PHONE!

My dad bought me this phone because my sister's old phone broke and it wouldn't charge, so I kept having to switch her battery packs. My dad then bought us each this phone. The LG Xpression is a red touchscreen phone that also has a QWERTY keyboard if you slide it sideways. I really like how you have the option of typing on a touchscreen or a QWERTY keyboard.
I think that the touchscreen keyboard could' have been better, it is hard to type on it but you have the QWERTY keyboard so it is okay. I recommend this to teenage boys and girls.

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen lock can not be entirely disabled! Bad feature - deal breaker, September 25, 2012
VBJ "cbartist" (crested butte, co) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I was loving this little phone!! But sadly after 3 weeks of use I will have to send it back.
The screen lock feature can not be entirely disabled. Even if you set the phone to NEVER lock automatically it will ALWAYS lock upon placing call. Really? This is a horrible feature! I called LG to see if there is a way to completely disable screen lock and the rep told me this is a security feature on ALL LG with slide out keyboards. Dispite many attemtps to just deal with this quirk I simply can not. This feature makes the phone vitually useless and I am sending it back.

3.0 out of 5 stars IT'S OK, BUT...., September 14, 2013
This review is from: LG Xpression, Red (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
About 2 months ago, I went to a dealer to take advantage of the "free" upgrade to my cellphone. My 7-year-old Motorola Razr was wearing out and becoming obsolete, and I was looking for a phone where I could text, make calls and take pictures. It seemed like the LG Xpression was the phone for me.

I've had it for almost 2 months now, and the results are a mixed bag. The rundown:

THE GOOD
-It's very sturdy, attractive-looking and I love the brick-red cover.
-It's very compact and can fit easily into a pocket or purse.
-The camera is very easy to use and takes good pictures.
-The slide-out QWERTY keyboard is easy to use and perfect for texting.

THE BAD
-The touch screen pad is very sensitive, and you cannot activate it with anything other than your fingers (which includes pencil points or eraser tips). If you either press too hard on it - or don't hit the keys at the right point - it does not enter the correct figure. This can be extremely frustrating if you're trying to make a call or use the calculator.
-The auto-lock screen can be very frustrating if you don't use your cellphone for 5 seconds or longer. Even though you can slide it to unlock, it is annoying when you're waiting for a voicemail prompt - only to have it lock up on you before you can enter the correct number!

THE UGLY
-The dealer told me you could upload pictures directly from the phone into your computer by using the USB cable. I tried that and it kept giving me the message "Insert Memory Card for Connecting as Mass Storage." I saw nothing in the instructions as to how to override this problem. I finally had to call AT&T - who told me I had to purchase a separate USB MicroSD memory card in order to upload the pictures (something the dealer neglected to tell me!). Had I known that I was going to have to purchase a separate memory card apart from the phone to upload pictures, I probably never would have purchased it!

If you want a sturdy, compact phone that's good for texting - and can overlook the very obvious flaws - then this might be the phone for you. Otherwise, I would pass on it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›