5.0 out of 5 stars Live the blues...
Published on June 27, 2004 by DanD

3.0 out of 5 stars A FINE ALBUM But Didn't Meet My Expectation
I purchased this recently after reacquainting myself with DM's work through a couple of studio works. I have never seen him perform live, and might feel differently if I had. I will see if this CD set grows on me over time, but my initial reaction to it is that it's just Okay.
Published on August 17, 2005 by Randy Neal

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Live the blues..., June 27, 2004
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
The only other Delbert McClinton album is own is "Room to Breathe." A good CD, yes; this one, though, really got me hooked. This is the blues, with country, rock, and pop thrown in...a mixture of music that melts into one flawless sound, glued together by Kevin McKenree's keyboard, Rob McNelley's guitar licks, and McClinton's gravelling voice and harmonica.
From the opener "Old Weakness," you know you're in for a treat. Other classic bluesy rockers include "I'm With You," "Giving It Up For Your Love," and "Smooth Talk," while "I've Got Dreams to Remember" and "Don't Want to Love You" are moving ballads.
Delbert McClinton is a man who can sing. And "Live" showcases that singing--and his backup band--like nothing else can. If you do not own this album, I sincerely believe you should. I don't know if it's a good retrospective or not, but I DO know that as a two-disk album, it's damn good. It's the blues, baby...the blues and everything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic Two Disc Set!, November 12, 2003
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
Haven't heard the Delbert sound? Buddy, you're missing out!
Right from the opening riff of "Old Weakness (Coming on Strong)" to the last encore, Delbert and his band are sizzling on this live two disc set recorded in Europe on his 2003-2004 world tour. I caught this lineup in Harrisburg, PA and am still hearing those tunes in my head a month later! The disc brings the live vibe right into your own CD player.
The band is smoking. Rob McNelley ([...]) is the guitar man (Check out his disc "On" - I bought it at the show, you can buy it at his website, but that's a whole other review!). His musical ability makes me want to get the old Les Paul out of the case and start playing again. Kevin McKendree makes that old Wurlitzer organ scream, and the horn section of Don Wise (tenor sax) and Terry Thomson (trumpet, keyboards) sound much fuller than two horns ought to sound. And don't forget Delbert's contribution here with his blues harmonica licks that I wish I could emulate. (Did you know he taught John Lennon to play the harp?)
Delbert's voice seems to be only getting better with age. He has that tone that can only be achieved through bad luck and hard work, and the combination here is simply magical. Why isn't he more popular than he is? Maybe it's that bad luck thing. Ha had a ten year stretch where every label he recorded under went bankrupt. Also, his music is hard to categorize. If you took Rock and Roll, Country, R&B, and Blues and mixed 'em all together you still wouldn't have it. I found this disc in the Country section of my local music store, where I would almost never look normally. So, you have to be looking to find him. Anyway, I'm sort of glad he's not more popular. He tends to play small venues, and tickets are generally available for a while. So even if you don't get to the box office the second seats go on sale, you can still get great seats! I've only gone once, but mark my words, I'm going again!
Delbert has his own unique sound that must be listened to in order to appreciate it fully. This disc set fits that requirement. It is a nice mix that seems to span his entire career. If you don't have a Delbert CD, get this one. If you already have one (who has only one?), this is a nice companion. The live versions of the songs off the Grammy nominated "Room to Breathe" disc are worth owning, and the songs repeated off "Live from Austin" are significantly reworked to give them new life (not like they needed it!)
Some of my favorites? "Leap of Faith" springs to mind. It is a rolling tune that sounds like it comes out of a southern Baptist church. "When Rita Leaves" is another favorite from the Grammy winning "Nothing Personal" album. But then, almost every song is one of my favorites.
I love it. If you are anything like me, you will, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Live - Delbert McClinton, November 22, 2003
"jazzlady45424" (huber hts, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
Where has he been all my life? I just heard/saw him perform on IMUS and loved him!~ He is raw, sexy, hard driving-a real performer-he woke up this 60+ woman. Thank you baby!~

5.0 out of 5 stars DELBERT'S STILL THE MAN!!, October 27, 2003
Gregory C. Berryhill (Cochran, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
I have seen Delbert perform 'live and in living color' 4-5 times. Each time, I come away feeling like I've been to a blues/honkey-tonking/rocking 'revival'. I feel the same after listening to this newest release. I have all of Delbert's cds, but have always told folks that you have to see Delbert and his band live to really appreciate the true performers/entertainers/master musicians that they are. Yes, I have Delbert's last 'live' cd, "Live From Austin", and it was great. This release; however, is more polished sounding, especially, the vocals. Delbert choice of songs for this release offers a good variety of his arsenal of songs. He could easily do a 'live' 4 cd release with all of his songs. Thanks, Delbert, for great songs, a great band, & a great performance. Keep on keeping on!!

5.0 out of 5 stars HE'S THE BEST !!, October 23, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
Delbert McClinton has long been considered the definitive Texas Roadhouse Boogie/R&B artist extant by those in the know (critics and a sizeable cult following). With this 2-disc live CD offering (his first live since 1989) he definitely lives up to his legend and might even goose it a bit higher!! The sound quality is excellent and in-your-face and you're not likely to get any closer to Delbert live unless you see him in concert. The musicianship and arrangements are superb, and D McC's voice has still got that ol' smokey grit and soul in spades!! The man has never sounded better!! With a mix of old favorites and his newer stuff, this is THE Delbert McClinton package to have, bar none!! If this one don't make you tap your feet, check your pulse !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should buy, MUST see !, January 20, 2004
Tom Mooney (Clinton, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
A couple of the reviewers made reference to the fact that this disc leaves something to be desired as far as sound quality on the recording. Okay, it isn't some cleaned up,over produced, studio concoction that 99.7% of todays albums are. That is exactly the point of the whole Delbert experience. It is the essence of his craft that makes him a "have to see at least once before you leave this world" type of showman. If you want a cold,antiseptic, feelingless Blues CD, buy Johnny Lang. If you want to hear someone that plays for the love of the game, buy this disc. Then go see him in person. As a matter of fact, come join me at the Col Ballroom in Davenport, Iowa on March 27th. Then, six months down the road when you have a serious Delbert "jones" working, pop this disc in and think about how close it sounds to being there!

5.0 out of 5 stars A rocking good time, December 20, 2003
Guy Pellitteri (New Orleans, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
Texas legend (and one of our favorite customers at Gumbo Shop), Delbert McClinton, turns it all loose in this hot two disk live set. As good as his last few studio recordings have been, this new release gives an accurate picture of what a great live performer Delbert is and what a hot band he has put together. This one just stays in the truck all the time and if it's possible to wear a cd out, this one will need to be replaced by New Year's

5.0 out of 5 stars Delbert McClinton Live, December 17, 2003
Mary Ellen Lewis (Birmingham, Alabama) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
I have all of Delbert's CDs and probably all of his cassettes. He is the most dynamic music entertainer of all times. I constantly listen to his music. If one has not bought the CD Nothing Personal or Live they do not know what they are missing. Once you hear either one of these CD's you will go out and try to buy anything you can get your hands on by Delbert McClinton. He is fantastic. P.S. His concerts are great too.
Mary Ellen Lewis - Birmingham, AL

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll Keep it Brief...., August 3, 2005
Milesfan! (Margate, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
I'm a recent introductee to Delbert--I'd heard his name for many years, maybe knew a composition or two, but it wasn't until a guy auditioning for my band played me some of his stuff that I got locked down tight. What's his magic? He's not a great singer, but the emotion comes through. His songs are not all that original, but they all seem to have a funny, unexpected hook.

I determined that, in the end, it all came down to the sound and the band. Simply put, Delbert's band wails. Rocks. Shrieks. Use any superlative you like. This is a rhythm-based band, and Rob McNelley (guitar), Lynn Williams (drums) and especially George Hawkins (bass) are staggering. Try listening to "Leap of Faith", "I Wanna Thank You Baby", or "Smooth Talk" while driving your car and see if you can keep it on the road.

And Delbert obviously adores these musicians. Loves them, and loves performing. It shows all over this album.

This isn't the greatest live album ever (try "Live Cream") but it's rock-solid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CD, November 3, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: LIVE (Audio CD)
This is a great live set. Delbert is rocking the house like only Delbert can. This live double CD will put the concert
right in your living room. So go get the CD, crank it up, pop a cold beer and you will be at the show!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

LIVE
LIVE by Delbert McClinton (Audio CD - 2003)