Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:05 Mins
Published 22 months ago by M. Erb

3.0 out of 5 stars decent camera, needs firmware update for mac compatibility
When first trying to access this camera, I was presented with a 320x240 image and no buttons in the interface. "strange," I thought, "shouldn't I have some kind of control over the camera features that other people talk about?"

Published on June 23, 2011 by The Rocketdyke.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good resolution and clarity both day and night. Terrible software and documentation, February 4, 2013
This review is from: LOFTEK® Nexus 543 Outdoor Wireless/wired Waterproof Ip Camera 4mm Lens 36 Infrared Leds with Night Vision. Silver (Electronics)
Length:: 7:05 Mins

The Loftek Nexus 543 wireless security camera was surprising in the resolution, sharpness and accurate color of its image during daylight. I was also impressed with its performance at night. The Infrared LEDs did an excellent job of illumination and actually were almost too bright for the center of the image... but the majority of the rest of the image area was illuminated very well thanks to the 36 infrared LEDs surrounding the lens of this camera.

The camera is housed in an aluminum enclosure that is rated IP66. This rating is about as good as it gets and means that the enclosure is dust-proof and will be able to withstand a strong, direct stream of water. In other words, this camera should be able to withstand outdoor conditions without any issues. The body is roughly the size of a 12oz can of soda. There is a hood/shield over the camera body that extends out and over the front of the camera and allows for about an inch or so of fore and aft adjustment.

Out of the rear of the camera is a 2 foot long cord bundle that contains an ethernet port. Two additional wires at the end of the cord provide a power port and a reset button for the camera. The ethernet is used for initial setup of the camera and can also be used to circumvent the wireless capabilities of the camera if you want to use the camera as a wired ethernet camera instead. Power to the camera is provided by an AC adapter rated 100-240v and 50/60Hz.

Because of the relatively short cord of the AC adapter wire, you would need to tap into AC power from a wall switch or fixture in close proximity to where the camera needs to be installed otherwise you would need to use extension cords which is not desirable.

The mounting hardware included with the camera is lightweight duty and you might want to upgrade the mounting hardware depending on your installation needs.

There is no audio capability in this particular model of camera. My video clearly demonstrates the quality of the image from the camera in day and night conditions.

So for the price, this camera provides a lot of value.

Setup is another matter. I have a pet peeve against poor documentation. How difficult can it be for a company to spend a few thousand dollars to have a qualified technical copywriter produce adequate documentation? The quickstart guide included with this camera is so poorly translated and written that it makes setup of this camera way more difficult than it needs to be. In fact, once I worked my way through the setup through trial and error, I realized that it's not really difficult at all, It's just that the poor documentation makes it confusing and seemingly difficult. Maybe a user with more experience with security cameras and router setup would not have experienced the problems I did, but my point is that the "average" user will more than likely run into the same difficulties that I did.

Basically, if you want to use the camera strictly on your LAN... that is if you have the camera mounted outside your house and just want to be able to view the image from a computer in your house, it's relatively easy to setup. If you also want to be able to view the image from the WAN... that is from any computer on the Internet, that requires altering settings in your router which will be confusing to many people because of the poor documentation. The reality is that is also is not that difficult to do.

Regarding the software that is provided with the camera... it provides basic functionality but some people may choose to use other third-party software. That's entirely up to the user.

I used both a PC running Windows 8 and a Mac running Mountain Lion to setup the camera. Some of the software provided is only compatible on a PC but a PC is not required to setup the camera. The software for PC is optimized for Internet Explorer. Using any other browser will not provide complete control of the camera and no browser on the Mac will allow complete control of the camera.

I am not that familiar with wireless security cameras nor the setup of same. I am also not an expert at network setup but am not a complete idiot either. I'm somewhat technically inclined, just not well-versed in the intricacies of port-forwarding and more advanced router setup procedures. Having said that, I found the procedure for getting this camera working over the WAN to be daunting. It took no less than 2 hours of putzing around before I finally "got it" largely due to the poorly written quickstart guide and marginally better documentation available on the Lofetk website.

The Loftek Nexus 543 security camera is great, particularly when taking price into consideration. It's the hardware that deserves the bulk of the rating since the software can be replaced by third party software and the poor documentation can be worked around as well. So for the price the camera performs well and seems pretty well built.

Since I have not had the camera very long at the time I am writing this review, I can't speak as to the long-term performance. I will update my review if necessary.

I look forward to the possibility of reviewing other models of security cameras by Loftek.

UPDATE: 4/12/2013: Regarding the mysterious powder that I mention in my review... I alerted the company that supplied me with the camera to that and offered to send them back the camera for further investigation. They had nothing to say except they didn't know what it was either. But apparently they didn't want to see the camera either so.......

I was provided a sample for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, retarded software, mounting bracket from hell, connectors NOT weatherproof, November 15, 2011
I am giving this camera five stars because its performance is by far the best of the three relatively low-price surveillance cameras I've tried recently. It has a few peripheral flaws that I cannot bring myself to deduct stars for because they are fairly easily resolved.

PROS:

The image is probably as good as it gets for a cheapish VGA-resolution camera (640 x 480 pixels). The infrared optics and electronics required for nighttime imaging do not seem to detract at all from the color fidelity of the daylight image, which is excellent. Unlike an even cheaper IR camera I tried, greens are not gray, grays are not green, and blacks are not red. All colors are as they should be.

The monochrome nighttime image quality is also the best I've found so far, much clearer and MUCH better detail than on the cheaper IR camera, even though its resolution was supposedly the same.

The 36 IR LEDs give bright, even illumination over the entire viewing area and up to at least 30 feet (which is as far as I care about), with no noticeable concentration of light in the center as the 11 LEDS on the cheaper camera did.

After initial setup with an Ethernet cable to the router (which is mandatory), I have used wireless connection exclusively with flawless results, in several different locations up to 80 feet from the router, inside and outside, with several interior and exterior walls and now even a massive triple-flue brick chimney in between.

The case of the camera is very impressively hefty and rugged. I don't doubt that it is as weatherproof as the manufacturer claims. The IP66 rating is indeed impressive. It means that NO solid particles can enter the camera body. Period. There is no dust fine enough to get through the seals. It also means that no jet of water at any pressure from any direction can enter the camera enclosure. It might be susceptible to liquids only if completely submerged.

Which leads me to the flaws:

CONS

Although the camera enclosure is impressively weatherproof, the electrical interface is not weatherproof at all, and it is permanently fixed to the camera through a singly hefty cable about a foot long. That cable ends in a receptacle for the Ethernet cable, which has two thinner cables about five inches long branching out the back, one to a connector for the power supply and the other to a small push-button reset switch. So any installation that takes advantage of the camera's ruggedness is going to have to provide separate and equal protection for those very vulnerable electronic connections, UNLESS you can bring the cable directly indoors within a foot of the camera. I can't do that, so I'm having to rig up another enclosure for them that will be mounted next to the camera. A little better attention to the design of the electronic interface would have made the camera's IP66 rating more easily exploited.

The mounting bracket is one of the worst I have ever had the misfortune to wrestle with. I'm too angry at it right now to say much more, except that getting it adjusted and stable is a nightmare.

The included software - as other reviewers have noted - is lame, as is most of the documentation (which completely ignores the mounting issues I just described). Clearly the manufacturer invested all its development budget in the camera itself, which at least was a wise choice. The camera really is so good that I still refuse to deduct even one star for these deficiencies.

COMMENTS

After a couple of hours' research, I followed another reviewer's lead and got Blue Iris software to control the camera. It is fantastic, and it's well worth the cost of $30 (support for one camera only) or $50 (up to 64 cameras). It makes setting up flawless motion detection, viewing video clips, zooming, panning (only in SW with this camera, but also in hardware with appropriate cameras), etc., a breeze. It has built-in support for this camera, and the only thing I haven't been able to do yet with it is adjust brightness and contrast, for which I had to use the included IPCamera Soft software. I did not have Blue Iris yet when I set up the camera's network interface through the Ethernet cable, so you may have to use the included software bundle to do that too. But that part is well enough documented and easy enough that it's okay.

Finally: the color. Maybe color names have different meanings in China, but I never in a million years would have described this camera as "silver gray." It is a lovely lilac color, a definite, unmistakeable LILAC, without any hint of gray, although it IS a sort of silvery lilac. It is a beautiful color, but macho types will not be showing it off to their beer buddies.

3.0 out of 5 stars decent camera, needs firmware update for mac compatibility, June 23, 2011

So instead of safari, I launched chrome. Same thing. Then firefox. Same thing. I cracked out User Agent Switcher in firefox and set it to be IE in windows 7. Presto! I had an interface, although most of the buttons were broken. Turns out they were doing some silly javascript OS sniffing, and dropping everyone in to the mobile device browser if they couldn't figure out what browser you were using.

Thinking something was amiss, I contacted the seller. They suggested I download internet explorer for the mac. IE for mac? that hasn't been published since 2003 and won't run on an intel machine. Laughable. When I pointed this out to them, they asked me to contact them off amazon, as it stripped attachments, and they would send me a new firmware.

So after a bit of email juggling, I get a new firmware file. Unfortunately, there is no way to upload it from a mac, so I booted up in my very old winXP that I keep handy and tried to install the "firmware" file they gave me. No good. Same problem when I rebooted into macOS. back to windows, and this time, I uploaded it in the " Upgrade Device Embeded Web UI " box. This actually worked when I rebooted back to snow leopard. I now have full control over almost all of the camera features, but I cannot display a timestamp on the image, that appears to be a windows only setting.

So, make sure you can get web UI version 0.0.4.18 from the vendor if you want to see this from a mac OS based browser. Also, be prepared to use a dual-boot system to load the proper web ui firmware.

Decent camera, decent images, I'll let people know if the weatherproofing doesn't hold up.

but good luck if you only have a mac and can't dual-boot into windows.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera/ Bad software, June 21, 2011
Matt Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The Loftek Nexus 543 is a good all-around surveillance camera. It comes in a heavy duty, metal, outer shell with a descent quality camera. While you won't be able to make out face beyond 20' it will display activity with relative clarity.

Wired setup for this IP camera was a breeze. Simply plug it in over your LAN and your monitoring program will find it. The wireless setup was a bit tricky. It will take a bit of playing around with before you get the settings right. You will need to plug the camera into a wired network to setup the wireless connection.

The software that comes with this product is a joke. You can't mask areas you don't want monitored, the camera controls are horrible and it is difficult to navigate. I went with Blue Iris to record and monitor my system. My advice is to junk the software and use something that works.

Overall I'm very happy with this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought this was a risky purchase. EXTREMELY happy I did., June 2, 2011
First off, let me say this: I was afraid this would be a nightmare to install or wouldn't have the range allowing me to place the camera where I wanted it. Not so. It agreeably surprised me on both counts.

It has built-in motion detection and upon detection will allow you to be notified by email, upload the picture to ftp and/or update an http of your choice.
It allows for the default admin account to be changed (which some other do not which would be a major security issue for me) and connects to my router over WPA-TKIP.
the ftp upload can also be configured on a regular basis, which is the feature I am using at the moment to feed sensr.net with recent captures.

overall, this has worked right out of the box for me which I was very weary of but no, everything went as scripted.
Do note that the CD coming with the camera has windows-only software on it so if you are a mac-only house (or shop), the only way you can make this work would be if your network is a 192.168.0, then you can hit [...] and hit the camera from there directly. In my case, my network is different and I had to use the excellent search tool provided, which found the camera and allowed me to make the camera available on my network.

Overall just great!!!
no complaints, I will buy 4 more to put under the eaves all around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent Build and Image Quality, May 15, 2011
This low-cost IP camera is housed in an impressively heavy case. The outdoor rating means it can withstand jets of water, as well as extremely hot or cold tempuratures, and probably even the occasional rock or baseball that your neighbor's kids will throw at it.

From my research and experience, the Nexus 543 has the same firmware and networking features as Loftek's CXS 2200 wireless pan-and-tilt camera, which I also own and frequently use. You can view the camera's live feed through most browsers and manually record live video to a PC on your network in MJPEG format. You can also view footage of your other IP cameras on the same interface.

Although the web interface doesn't look very polished, it's easy to navigate. The camera supports DDNS, so you can assign its web interface to a standard URL for remote access, which is useful for users without a static IP address.

The cam streams video at up to 640x480 resolution, and its saved images seem to be the same quality as stills from the MJPEG. Based on my experience, the Nexus 543 is a great security camera, with sturdy build quality and effective night vision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good image, poor software, August 23, 2011
As others have mentioned, the setup software is not good. If you have a Windows machine, the setup is just amateurish. If you use Mac or Linux, you likely need to know how to manipulate the settings on your router in order to configure the camera.

The default IP for this cam is 192.168.0.178. If the subnet of your router is also 192.168.0 then you can just use a Web browser to access the camera directly via the IP. If your router is configured otherwise, you will need to be able to login to it and change the mask or the subnet. Once you get the wired network for the camera set up as you wish (either via browser or poor Windows software), then you can access the camera and set many features.

So set up can be painful, especially for non-Windows users, but then the camera works well. The image quality surprised me for a cam of this price, and the IR LEDs actually work quite well to "see" in the dark up to about 30-40 feet (not as much as the claim of 25 meters). The cam can upload images periodically to any server with FTP capabilities, or can also email them. You can control the frequency of the uploads by specifying how many seconds. Theoretically then, you could upload an image every second for real-time remote viewing, if your network connection is fast enough. Every minute or five minutes is more realistic.

Bottom line: If you need a really easy plug-n-play camera, spend a little more for a Panasonic with much better software. If you need a really great image, then you need to spend 5 to 10 times more. If you can deal with some setup issues and look past the really poor software, then the camera features, capabilities, and image quality are as good as cameras costing at least 2x as much. Considering the price then, this is a great cam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Capable IP Camera, May 15, 2011
Loftek's Nexus 543 wireless IP camera is compact and easy to use, even for non computer experts. It's got some handy features including automatic infrared illumination and inputs for external sensors and alarms, and for the price, it's hard to find a camera with the same performance.

The Nexus 543 is useful if you want to use it with your existing wireless network, and is well-suited for monitoring a doorway, or for watching over a backyard or garage. If you want to place the camera far away from your router or hub, it might be a good idea to connect it using a LAN cable instead of using the wireless connection, which might not be able to span a long distance.

A quick setup guide is included on the installation CD, as well as more detailed directions in the usual manual, and it also has included software which has more options than the browswer-based access that is standard. For example, you can view a ton of cameras (supposedly up to 60, if you're that kind of person). You can also record your footage and set up intervals for automatic recording and alarm settings, etc.

Once you've installed the camera, you can access it over your wireless network, or you can mess around with your router settings if you want to watch it from another location. This takes a little bit of work, but is definitely worth it if you want to be able to see your camera while you're not at home. The camera's resolution of 640x480 has adequate video quality to identify people and vehicles, but there is no control for pan and tilt, so camera placement is quite important.

The browser accessed video feed works in both Internet Explorer and Firefox, and has a slew of features that can be controled from here, of which the motion detection is especially useful. You can configure the camera to email you or upload shots to an FTP server when motion is detected in the user-specified area.

Based on the features, appearance, and installation requirements, Loftek's Nexus 543 is a great outdoor camera that's easy to use and well-priced.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good investment!, June 8, 2014
Pros:
*Camera is sturdy and has some weight to it, good material for outdoor
*Image is clear but very narrow
*Affordable
*Can be managed Wireless except in bad weather, you must plug network cable

Cons:
*Wide view angle is terrible, the width coverage is nothing, narrow narrow it's like viewing a straight tunnel view area.
*Customer service - worse i've seen, they simply won't contact you either via phone or email.
*Manual - Useless, content is blurry, information not accurate, configurations are incorrect, no help on the website. data sheets are abstract, you are basically on your own when configuring to work with your network and or your smart phone.
*PC Software - Terrible! very poor, no audio, no recording, interface features are limited, instructions for software setup are useless.
*Android Phone App - Useless! a space hog on your phone. It only shows the image, no audio, no recording and the app shuts down after 10 seconds while running, there are only maybe two generic apps out there compatible with this camera model and I tried them too, no success, crappy. You might as well log into the cameras via a browser, the only way you can manage this cams remotely.
*If you have AT&T U-verse, they will refuse to open a port for your router, so no port forwarding. They will force you into buying "Connect Tech" to open ports, then once you purchase it, a technician will say "att does not allow any ports opened on our network except port 80" I spent 4 hours playing tennis between u-verse and connect tech so....another drawback.
*You might as well get an ftp to upload your images and research a third party software that is compatible with this camera model to get all features necessary to monitor remotely.
*Power cable is very short, you will need an extension cord.
*I will be returning the product and purchase one that has more integrity, quality, customer service, compatible with other apps out there, real instructions, better software, overall a better camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for under 24 hours, December 19, 2011
WendyKellyBudd (Chico, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:38 Mins

This review is for the first Nexus 543 I ordered. The second one arrived out of focus, I'll probably do a review on that one too.

This problem started within 24 hours and continues day and night. The camera is mounted. Loftek offered to replace the camera, but I ordered a new one (again, it arrived and is out of focus)Loftek Nexus 543 outdoor wireless/wired waterproof IP camera 4mm lens and 70° viewing angle,36 Infrared LEDs with night vision up to 25M,easy installation, Silver grey.

On the upside, I am very good at installing these cameras. I've had three so far, 2 of these and one Loftek CXS 3200. The CXS stopped working in a cool room, within their stated temp specs.

All three make a fast ticking when in night mode. If you want audio, good luck.