4.0 out of 5 stars Very good resolution and clarity both day and night. Terrible software and documentation
Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:05 Mins
The Loftek Nexus 543 wireless security camera was surprising in the resolution, sharpness and accurate color of its image during daylight. I was also impressed with its performance at night. The Infrared LEDs did an excellent job of illumination and actually were almost too bright for the center of the image... but the majority of the rest of...
Published 22 months ago by M. Erb

3.0 out of 5 stars decent camera, needs firmware update for mac compatibility
When first trying to access this camera, I was presented with a 320x240 image and no buttons in the interface. "strange," I thought, "shouldn't I have some kind of control over the camera features that other people talk about?"

So instead of safari, I launched chrome. Same thing. Then firefox. Same thing. I cracked out User Agent Switcher in firefox and set it...
Published on June 23, 2011 by The Rocketdyke.

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd buy it again, August 12, 2011
This review is from: LOFTEK® Nexus 543 Outdoor Wireless/wired Waterproof Ip Camera 4mm Lens 36 Infrared Leds with Night Vision. Silver (Electronics)
Looks like this is a generic China-made camera. I've seen the exact same camera under different names. However, I am pretty happy with the purchase. This is my first IP camera and I thought the image quality is mediocre but I saw clips from more higher-end ($400) cameras and those aren't too much better.

Good
-wireless works well for me
-image quality
-price
-ease of use

Bad
-software

2.0 out of 5 stars Wireless feature doesn't work, August 3, 2011
It is not a bad camera for this amount of money, considering it is rated as an outdoor + has a night vision. Read the description and realize that you're getting exactly what you're paying for, no need to be disappointed because it is not wide angle or the image quality is not that high. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to test how sturdy it is because wireless feature never worked. I think the unit I received was defective because when I tried to use "scan" button, which supposedly should find all wireless networks transmitting the signal, nothing happened. I tried several times, but this camera would not find a single network (when I had several). I also tried to enter my SSID, security type and password manually, but camera would not connect to the network.

There are no phone numbers to contact Loftek technical support. I wrote them an email more than a week ago describing the problem and haven't received a reply.

Buy only if you don't need wireless function or if you're willing to take a risk. Also, use 3d party monitoring software, e.g. Blue Iris since Loftek's software is very basic.
Apparently, I am not the only one who got this camera with non-working WiFi. Amazon has very nice return policy, which I will utilize in this case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't get wireless to work on my network, July 18, 2011
I have a 2wire router. It has no trouble when I hook up the cam via Ethernet, but no matter what I tinker with, the router just cannot see the cam when it's wireless. Documentation is crappy, just like the configuration UI (e.g., you can set motion detector "sensibility"). Support is only by email, and no one works nights or weekends. Support had me try various things that directly contradict their video and documentation.

Update: Seller gave me a refund with no hassle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loftek Nexus 543, December 31, 2011
I am looking to replace my 4 year old aging Wilife (Logitech brand)camera system with a Network IP wireless camera system. Started looking about a month ago, reading reviews on what new offering out there that is available. Reason I want to replace is that one of the unit outdoor is dead, the other one indoor is still functional, the 2nd reason, Wilife system does not have night vision.

Decide to give the loftek brand a try. I ordered 2 of these November 24 and got it 5 days later.
As everyone knows, the documentation is pretty spotty, but once you go thru the CD and manuals, you can pretty much puzzle the documentation together and go forth what you really need to do.
You have to connect the camera WIRED during initial setup, and use the utility that came with called > BSearch_en.exe to configure cameras IP address of your network, username/pass(default info on documentation or sticker in the body of the camera), and PORT you want to use BESIDES 80 or 8080 to get it to connect.
Wireless function, go to the Network configuration > Wireless tab and put the information of your network wireless to detect.
If your wireless SSID is hidden, temporarily unhide it to assist the camera to find your wireless
Once configured power off camera and disconnect the RJ45 wired connection. Power on, wait 10 to15 seconds for it to switch to wireless function. Once wireless is up, you can finish off configuring the rest.

One of the 2 cameras I originally ordered will not work with the wireless. After careful observation, the gold connector where the wireless antenna connects to the camera body is not there. End up returning this unit. There is no exchange option with seller, once Amazon got the defective camera, immediate full amount refund + return shipping cost amount. Nice!
Immediately order the 2nd replacement camera.

Moving forward
While waiting for the other replacement to come, I finish configuring the first camera.
CAN NOT get the included software called > IPCmonitor to work.
I tried installing on 6 different computers with OS, XP, vista, W7 x32 /X64, 2k3 or 2K8 x32 /X64 versions. NADA!
Work with technical support (only email support) for 3 days, email tags back and forth but never really connected with them as they wanted to connect to my computer using TeamViewer remote due to time zone difference with emails. There technical support must be outside the USA
I end up buying BlueIris multi-view version and got it to work.
The camera also works remote view on my blackberry and IPAD outside my network to monitor using the browser function.
Email, took some time to trace why not sending but it end up a combo issue of firewall and anti-virus software blocking SMTP broadcast.

Initial impression of first camera, for a 640x480, pix and video are clear day time, night vision is also clear.
End up using WIRED connection versus wireless as I did not want to move my wireless router location which is located the other side corner of my house. It will work but want the steady connection of 15 -18 FPS versus 5 - 2 FPS on wireless. Note: 2 cameras together wired, FPS goes down to 10-12 FPS

After 4 days of using the first camera, I notice from comparison with original video and pix captured that the camera pix quality now has deteriorated somewhat. Just thought it might be just the weather.
Another is I am getting alerts that the camera resets 2 to 4 times at night. No biggy, the BlueIris software attempts to restarts the camera and it does.

The 2nd replacement camera finally came and was configured. All is working. Once up, the initial impression was WOW, this one has a nice pix and video. The colors are true Green and grass is not brown, the images are sharp and clear. It made me think that the first camera has some issues with contrast and Brightness, so I mess with the first camera setting to equal the setting of the 2nd replacement camera. Close but not quite there.

Now, the 2nd replacement camera at night. Low light with just the porch light by the driveway is ON, IR is OFF on camera, I CAN NOT see anything except small dot where light is reflected back like signal light reflectors off your car.
NO LIGHTS ON driveway, IR is ON the Camera, it looks like I am looking at a barrel of shotgun or being time warp to another universe! The pix and video, there is a HALO view around the corners, pix and video is warped/distorted with 6 white dot spot around it. I can't get to recognition images off this!
Decided to mess with the brightness and contrast as well for night time, but the HALO effect is still there. Original thought is that the IR LED reflection when ON might be bouncing off the shiny hood of the camera. I decided to put electrical black tape on the inside part of the hood, maybe it that what causing the warp/distorted with 6 white dot reflection on this camera. Nope, the same!

Next day, since I started messing around with the contrast/brightness setting on both cameras the night before, Day time setting now looks washout on the replacement camera, the original camera, I now have a 3D images of pix and video. It looks like 3D vision on a LCD panel looking at it without the 3D glasses.
It gives me a headache!

Oh geez, could it be that I am spacing out! Not! I open up my old original 4 year old Wilife camera system and oh boy, these 2 new cameras do not even come close to the pix/video quality.

Decided to give both loftek cameras another try by resetting both to Factory defaults, and move them back inside to my warm computer room for further evaluation.
Results are the same.

Original camera now has a 3D image effect day or night and progressively getting worse
2nd replacement camera, pix are great in daytime but at night IR ON, Halo and 6 white dots present no matter what I do. By the way, both cameras are on the latest and greatest firmware update.
Also, it is not the BlueIris software causing this because when I use the original viewing software from loftek, same issue and the output for pix and video is even worse.

Both cameras are returned back to Amazon

My opinion is that the CAMERA QUALITY control is not there. Most of these cameras probably came from the same one or 2 manufacturers. Some people reviews states that there camera works great for a while and other not. For the amount you are paying for this unit, you have a 50/50 chance on the deal so give it a try.

End up getting an EasyN and a Vivotek outdoor models using blue Iris. Waiting for them come in the mail to be tested and configured. Both cameras are a lot more dollars but my main objective is to get clear view at night and products that will work after the manufacture warranty expires like my old system.

1.0 out of 5 stars fuzzy image, December 20, 2011
I own this and three Foscam cameras, two PTZ F18918 and one outdoor camera F18904. The Loftek camera is terrible. The image if fuzzy and now that the weather is getting cooler, the camera image is totally worthless. The Foscam F18904 is working flawlessly in the cooler temperatures but the Loftek is unusable. The software was much less functional than the Foscam software. I am going to order another Foscam outdoor camera to replace the Loftek. The Loftek is garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very wireless, September 21, 2011
The camera its self is nice and so far water resistant. Now for the bad news. Wireless is pretty much useless. Even indoors with the camera 5 feet from my router (Netgear WNDR3700) the frame rate would peek at 5 fps at (648X480) with the antenna on the camera in a perfect position. Move the camera away from the router and the frame rate falls to .5 fps. I spent over 30 hours trying different configurations, moving other wireless equipment, changing position of the antenna, trying every channel available, and moving the base router with just 1 wall in between it and the camera. I feel I am fairly good at solving problems with my network but I gave up on the wireless and hard wired it to the router. Believe it or not with the camera hardwired to the router and the best frame rate I can get is 10 fps. It is usable but far from a good security camera. Oh and before I forget there is not much color in the color camera, the picture is mostly black and white.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THE CAMERA, November 8, 2011
I purchased 2 and both stop working within a month. Support is almost not there. It takes week to get problem resolved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great! Full access from my MacBook. No Winders involved., November 3, 2014
I was able to start up the camera with a direct wired connection to my Macbook. The issue was the initial IP address which I found using the application NMAP. The documentation might have mentioned it, but hey, I read documentation after I fail to figure it out. I did have to read the documentation to get the initial userid and password.

The interface worked well on my Mac with Firefox. I was able to change the admin user, the viewing user and set passwords. Also adjust the resolution of the image and played with some of the other settings which were fine on the default.

I activated wireless and used the built in scan tool to identify my SSID and make the connection. I did not mess with using DHCP because I prefer a fixed IP since I am going to share it over the WAN.

The connection to my "IP Cam Viewer" app on both Android and Iphone was clean and easy to set up. (NOTE: I used the app I already had rather than any apps loaded on the CD. Search you store for "IP Cam Viewer".)

I also have a script running in Cron that captures an image from various cameras every 5 minutes. Used the string "wget -O - --user=[USER] --password=[password] http://IP:port/snapshot.cgi?camera=0 > image.jpg" to gather images from this camera. Very similar to my Foscam camera.

I noticed that the colors are MUCH better than Foscam. Haven't mounted it permanently outside, so can't speak to the IR capabilities. Right now, the IR won't see through the window which is normal for IR.

I will not repeat the other reviewers who discussed the mount, the power lead, or the focus. I was lucky on the mount and the focus. The power lead is short, but not much shorter than the Foscam really.

The price is right and the image was very clear. This is no 760P camera though.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2nd one dead now too... Customer Service SUCKS!, March 9, 2012
Update #5: Amazon fixed the issue...

Update #4: Amazon site says to contact seller, seller says contact manufacturer, manufacturer says contact seller, and finally, seller says to contact Amazon! Now if THAT isn't a runaround, I don't know WHAT IS! The customer service is absolutely horrible, if I can even consider it "service". The power supply went out, that should have been my first clue, but I ordered a replacement, only to watch AND HEAR the camera continue to die. I'm apparently stuck with two of these dead things, maybe I can use their carcass to create a better outdoor camera with non-chinese guts in it. mad mad mad!

IF YOU DO BUY A LAUGH-TECH CAMERA, DO NOT BUY IT FROM NEVERBUY (Everbuy)! If it goes haywire, it's not their problem!
Here's their email about the in-warranty request:
"Dear Dave,
This is the everbuy customer service.We are sorry that this camera has some tech problems.Because your order is FBA order,so we suggest you to contact amazon customer service to give you full refund.

Best regards,"

Amazon's:
"Return Window expired on November 22, 2012.

If you return this item, you will receive a partial refund according to our Returns Policy. Shipping fees will not be refunded, and you will need to pay for return shipping."

I'll likely end up paying MORE to get rid of it! Is this customer service?!

Update #3: Now it's just clicking... and when it clicks, loudly, the colors get weird...

Update #2: Basically it's a toy. The thing likes to "flash" while you're watching it, causing it to "sense motion" and upload 1000's of pictures as the thing goes bright-dim-bright-dim-bright-dim-bright-dim-bright-dim-bright-dim and the ONLY thing you can do about it is to change it from 640x480 to 320x240.

Original review: I certainly like this thing better than its outdoor ptz counterpart (ordered at same time, see other reviews). It was easy to set up and use, night vision is sufficient. Why did I get another one? The last one just died... guessing the lifespan of new one will be roughly the same, 8 months? I'm still unsure why I purchased another one when I didn't like this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work from the get-go, May 24, 2014
Jim Mayhugh (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
The Camera kept dropping its IP address (I bought for its wired connection), and then the Wall Wart died after 24 hours. Plus Amazon will only refund, not replace.

The search goes on...