5.0 out of 5 stars Can hardly find this product!
Published on January 26, 2012 by Me

3.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good.
Published on February 28, 2012 by Katie A. E.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can hardly find this product!, January 26, 2012
This review is from: L'OREAL Youth Code Dark Spot Serum Corrector - 1.0 oz (Misc.)
I'm not sure why this product isn't widely available on Amazon. It is in my local Rite Aid and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I hope it doesn't get discontinued, because this serum saved my face. I've had problem skin since I was a teen (I'm in my early 30s now), and I had more dark spots than I care to think about. My skin always looked bad, even when I wasn't broken out, because of all the dark spots. After using this 2x a day for about a week, they were so faded I was a believer. After a month, the only dark spots left were the very dark ones which were relatively new, and even they had shrunken in size. I'm still using this product, and break outs are no longer a problem. I finally don't have to worry about covering up marks on my skin. I LOVE IT.

***UPDATE: I'm still using this serum twice a day and am quite near finishing my second bottle. After years of trying to cover up breakouts, I haven't had a single one in months (not even around *that* time of the month). I originally bought this to fade post acne hyperpigmentation, but I had no idea it would prevent future breakouts. I wish this had been available in my 20s!

As an experiment, I also started using it on my chest, where I sometimes have random spots from my sports bra, and where I always seemed to have a reddish tone from years of too much sun. My chest is now even-toned, and the redness is all but gone. I can wear a low-cut t-shirt without a care in the world, and I can go out without makeup on my face. EPIC WIN.

3.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., February 28, 2012
Like most, I have dark spots from either the sun or acne scars, past and present but these aren't uber dark spots or hyper-pigmentation but spots that are a one to two shades darker than my natural skin tone. I was using Garnier Clinical Dark Spot Corrector Skin Renew, 1.7 Ounce for 12 bucks but that did absolutely NOTHING after 2 months of use [Update 7/2012: I have a friend who's been using this one for 3+ months, 3 1/2 tubes later--it sorta works, but VERY slowly...do the math, not worth the money even if it's available at your local store]. When Youth Code Dark Spot Serum came out, which is 20 bucks at Target, I thought, eh, I'll try it. And if it didn't work, there are other products I've heard do wonders, such as: PROACTIV DARK SPOT CORRECTOR,1 OZ SIZE (44 bucks but through their site 16-22 bucks, not including tax/shipping but get it through a third party supplier or you might get conned into an automatic re-supply through their website, which can become a nightmare--I know, I've been their their 3-ring circus), Ambi Fade Cream, Normal Skin, 2 oz. (10 bucks at your local Super WalMart!), philosophy Miracle Worker Dark Spot Corrector, 1 Ounce (a whopping 62 bucks!), Murad Age Spot & Pigment Lightening Gel (ranges from 40-75 bucks) or CLINIQUE by Clinique: EVEN BETTER CLINICAL DARK SPOT CORRECTOR ALL SKIN TYPES--/1OZ (48 bucks).

I'm pleased to say that I haven't had to resort to even more expensive products, and boy am I glad I found Youth Code! After just 3 weeks, some of the not as dark spots are g-o-n-e. The darker spots---fading. I'm not sure if those more persistent spots will ever go away once and for all or if any OTC product can do that but I'll take a faded dark spot any day over what it was. I no longer stare at those evil spots whenever I look in the mirror or have to cake on the makeup to hide it (and still feel like everyone can see it).

The serum is light-weight with a pearly white, liquid soap-like consistency that goes on smooth with no greasy residue and gives your skin a nice soft and somewhat moisturized feel. I've always had sensitive skin, and this didn't irritate or make me break out in a rash like so many other products have in the past, OR, doesn't react to whatever other product I'm using on my skin in conjunction to Youth Code. I still moisturize after I put it on, morning (with a high SPF) and night, every day after I scrubbing my face. There is a bit of a fragrance but it's not bad and it's not overpowering. If you apply too much, it'll 'flake', like the remnants of a mask you didn't quite get off or if you apply a night cream after using Youth Code; but it brushes off easily with a soft towel.

Some products, like Ambi, Proactiv and Murad, contain 2% of Hydroquinone, which is a strong pigment lightener and the highest allowed concentration by the FDA. <<Read your labels carefully and spot test to ensure you don't have an allergic reaction!>> Youth Code (as well as Philosophy & Clinique, which uses different chemicals) doesn't contain Hydroquinone. Instead, Youth Code uses a combination of Vitamin B3 (aka, niacin, which helps to regulate skin texture) and Pro-Cysteine (aka, Koprosteine, which is the actual ingredient to correct the dark spots & hyper-pigmentation). Some won't find this combination effective, especially for more severe dark spot and/or hyper-pigmentation. Hydroquinone can also reduce the intensity of scars, but only if the tissue damage isn't deep and it's only surface damage. FYI, if you use too high a concentration of Hydroquinone (4% or higher), it can damage your skin. In fact, higher concentrations of Hydroquinone is banned by the FDA (and speculated as a possible carcinogen) and several EU countries, so be careful about the concentration (and stick to products with 2% or less) if you find Youth Code ineffective for your particular dark spots and/or hyper-pigmentation. I know people who use products with Hydroquinone and it doesn't have a pleasant smell; so, the higher the concentration, the smellier it is though using a light fragranced moisturizer will help to mask it and the intensity of the smell does fade in a half hour or so.

You'll need to use a high SPF face moisturizer during the day to keep new dark spots from forming and those faded spots might come back if you discontinue using the corrector, Youth Code or some other product. Also, if you're darker skinned, using a product with Hydroquinone, which is a proven though perhaps less safe lightener, will lighten whatever areas you're applying the product. Which means, if you just put it on the dark spot on your forehead, it'll lighten it all right but then you'll have a light spot instead of a dark one! All in all, for me, Youth Code Dark Spot Corrector for the treatment of light but not-super-dark dark spots, happy and will keep using!

Update [8-2013]: Still a happy customer. Keeps the light spots invisible and the semi-medium one in check. I wouldn't use dark spot remover brands or strengths at the same time unless you're applying the product at specific areas and not applying one over the other. I apply Youth Code over my whole face every night. However, I did try using Ambi's NON-Hydroquinone product for those darker spots but first, I stopped using Youth Code over my whole face for two weeks before using BOTH at the same time. I'd apply the Ambi on my harder to lighten spots and the youth code AROUND it. (That said, for me, Ambi's non-Hydroquinone product was a dud.) Mixing same-type brands over each other, from my experience and for those with fair or sensitive skin, can cause irritations, such as rash, redding (likely due to dryness) or an allergic reaction (or some other reaction) from the chemicals. Spot test on the back of your hand or the inside of your wrist. Keep in mind, any product with chemicals can and might cause a reaction, be it mild or not. Never assume. Some reactions can be immediate, and others not. If you have a history of reactions, always spot test but give it a good week to make sure the reactions aren't latent (sometimes how much you're using, factoring in frequency, can be part of the issue--so you may still be able to use the product but with less frequency but expect slower results).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far~, March 7, 2012
I have to admit, I've tried Clinique, even better clinical dark spot correcter, and saw light results after two months. I've tried a few other things (Daggett&Ramsdell, peels...)

I've been using this for two weeks, and am pleasantly surprised. My dark spots are lighter, smaller... it's very nice. I'm not sure, perhaps there's something in the L'oreal that just meshes with my skin type better than the clinique. The $20 price tag at Walgreens is preferable to $50 for Clinique as well!

Products works differently for people. Some people saw a lot of improvement with Clinique. Garnier seems to help others (Almost every Garnier product I've used has given me a migraine, the scent is just too strong- so I didn't even try that one.)

This product is light, absorbs quickly into my skin, and does not have an overpowering scent. The scent portion is again, important, since it limits products to me.

For $20, I'd say give it a go. Use it as directed, twice daily on clean skin. I don't have the Dark Spot correcting moisturizer, I use either Derma E or Burt's Bees, (Or Skin Appetit with SPF 15 if I'm going out) so I have no idea if using it as well would show better results. I'll leave that to another reviewer.

5/27 edit- I have gone through one container and just bought a second yesterday. I hadn't seen a friend of mine for a couple of months and the first thing he asked was if I was wearing makeup, because my skin looked so much better, like it had a healthy glow. I still have spots, don't get me wrong, but they are smaller and lighter, and my overall skintone looks improved. My hope is that continued use will get me even better results! I also grabbed the Youth Code Day Cream to use with it now, as my Rite-Aid had L'Oreal products buy one get one 1/2 off, and will update in a month or so if there's any added improvement with the moisturizer. Honestly, this product has helped more than anything else I've tried, and I can't wait to see if the day cream helps even more.

4.0 out of 5 stars L'Oreal dark spot corrector, August 2, 2013
All of L'Oreal products are very good. This one is no exception. A good price for a good product. Will purchase again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, February 20, 2012
"This is a really good product. I have dark brown skin and acne marks on my face. The dark marks are fading. My face showed improvement of soft smooth skin when I first used it. Now it is looking much better."

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good !, March 20, 2012
I jus bought this a week ago due to my obsession with popping pimples causing scarring. I bought palmers fade cream until i read it can cause cancer , then threw it away. I bought new line of loreal desperate to take away my acne scars. Im glad to say its working. I reccommend !!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me ..., July 8, 2014
Didn't work for me I got blackheads all over my face even my eyelids going to use it on my hands to see if that helps the dark spots..if not i sure won't order it again....never in my life had blackheads before....

5.0 out of 5 stars Greattttttt, June 14, 2014
Barbara Falk (St. Ann, Missouri) - See all my reviews
Excited tosay after many products on my very dark sun spots after 2 days they are very minimal!!!!! It's a keeper for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me :(, June 10, 2014
I am 65 and just noticed dark spots this spring. I researched and decided to give L'Oreal Youth Code Dark Spot Serum a try. I have never had acne problems or any breakouts...yes, lucky me. I took 'before' pictures to compare to my face after one bottle of serum. After only two weeks of use, my face is broken out so badly I am considering calling a dermatologist. My face looks like mosquitos attacked. I have been makeup and lotion free trying to clear this up. So far, I just have angry looking skin. I discontinued using this serum and will not purchase any more. I haven't read any other concerns like this, so it may just be me. However, because of this, I can not recommend. I also noticed no fading of spots after the two weeks; but perhaps that wasn't long enough for results.

5.0 out of 5 stars !!!Amazing!!!!, May 12, 2014
This product it's just amazing .. I used to have some dark spots from acne and after a month of using it, my face looks healthy and luminous.. I totally recomend it. Tip: don't forget to use ur sunscreen every morning ;)

Rate and Discover Movies