on May 20, 2009
Been using this highlight kit for a long time. Have tried other kits but this one is my favorite, by far.
It will lighten hair to a very pale yellow , but don't let that scare you since a toner (purple color to tone out any yellow) is included in the kit.Which other kits don't supply ;)

The Cap has easy to fallow spaced holes to achieve any effect you desire like, thin lights over entire head, chunky or just around the face.
Just fallow instructions and this kit will give you your desired look.

Now on the down side,
-the cap is cheesy and will rip very easily, so please make sure to be careful when pulling out your strands because if the hole is to big the color will bleed under the cap. Also fallow the tip in the instructions, not to push the color to hard on to the cap, this might also make the color bleed through holes.
-also to consider is, that the highlights will not start as close to the scalp as foil or paint on highlights would. ( but foil is almost impossible to do your self and brush on will not lift as many shades as this kit)
**All downers are to consider with any kit under any brand not just this kit by L'Oreal.

Never skip the strand test, since every ones color will differ depending on what color you start with. I would not recommend to use
this kit if you start out with any color darker then dark blonde. There are other kits on the market for Light to Medium Brown hair.

If interested to see what the highlights end up looking like
on a real person just see my picture in my Amazon profile. I also have
a link to another profile of mine listed on my Amazon Profile ( should be under my Picture) which has more pictures of me which were taken after highlighting with L'Oreal Frost and Design.
Yep, I have very long hair and it still works just fine ;)

Good Luck with what ever choice you make :)
Hope it turns out Fabulous !!

Jean
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2011
I've used this product before, so ordered it again with full confidence. Again, it served its purpose, giving me very pretty highlights. There is enough of the product now to do an entire head of shoulder length, non-layered hair. I am 65 years old, my hair is normal thickness, natural medium brown color with some grey around my temples and scattered over my head. This product, if left on long enough (read the directions!), mixed and put on properly, will give you very nice, very light blonde highlights! You need to go to the very light, almost creamy white color to blend your gray in, as there is no permanent toner in this product, just a toning rinse. The toner rinse, even though it looks dark purple - is imperative to use. Absolutely essential, really. You will go from a somewhat startling whiteish pale yellow (when washed out) to a lovely, classic and classy champagne blonde!

The more hair you pull through the cap, and the more holes in the cap you use, the (much) lighter effect you will have. So be careful if you've not done this before and go easy with the number of highlights or streaks until you see how it works with your own hair and skin color. I have found the Roux "Fanci-Full" toning rinse in "Silver Lining" or one of their other shades for very light bleached hair, to be excellent for keeping your color toned and refreshed between highlighting sessions. These are temporary rinses, so if you don't like the shade you picked, you can easily wash it out with shampoo.

I've tried to download a couple of photographs of my own results.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 17, 2013
great product professional Results
I have very long hair, down to my waist and I am 5'8''. I used to go to the salon and pay $300+ for highlights before a cut. After the second time of two different salons messing up my hair, I turned to this after It was recommend to me. Believe it or not, it looks better then the salon. Always great results the cap ensures that you can't mess it up. Be sure to comb you hair to the part where it falls naturally before putting the cap on. Also conb through all tangels before. I never use up all of the product, and my hair is very long. Make sure you wear the gloves and wear just a bra or old teeshirt. IT WILL BLEACH A GOOD SHIRT OR TOWEL! (I learned that one the hard way)

I pull more hairs on the part and though out all the way to the middle back of my head the bottom of my hair stays my "natural" color and my top has golden caramel to blonde high lights through out. I do this my self with a few mirrors. I use the smaller metal pull for more natural look the other one will give you a "chunky look." I have people ask me who my stylist is. My natural color is a ash brown, to blonde. Watch the color as you process it not to over process. And when you re color DO NOT re highlight the tips that are already blonde, or you can fry your hair. Just do the roots. The avoid pain when removing the cap get into the shower rinse dye out. Then take a hand full of your own good conditioner ( I use Redkin so-soft) While the conditioner is still in slowly wiggle off the cap. once off shampoo and condition hair again. Then I put the toner in once hair is combed and out of the shower. Then Style your way.

I have been coloring my hair with this product every 3 months for the last four years.Over all the money I have saved through out the years. Probably close to $1,200 a year!! My natural color is a ash brown, to blonde. I have been coloring my hair with this product every 3 months for the last four years
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2012
This is the best way to have salon quality highlights at home. I am a very dark brunette and I am now a brondish color. Here is the best way to get started if you have dark hair like me. I used the Carmel twice first so that I didn't have dark hair and shocking blonde streaks. Once it lightened my overall color noticeably, then I started using Champagne. I love this kit and won't use any other now. In fact this is the first time I have written a review in ten years of using Amazon. Word to the wise, make sure you use the toner in the shower. I was really smart and disregarded the part of the title on the packet that designated it as a rinse... yeah it is completely liquid. I got some purple stains in my bedroom now. Take the packet with you in the shower, towel dry, and then pour it on. This product rocks and I have tried them all. Happy bronding :)
on June 13, 2012
This really works for me. I don't use a cap. I just pick out the pieces and paint on the mixture. I love that it has a toner which is a must in my opinion. I have ashy dishwater blond hair. I agree that the instructions did not say to use both powder packets. I used both because the box says it has contents for one application.
on July 20, 2013
Let me preface this by saying that I've gotten my hair professionally highlighted for about eight years. I've been blonde almost my whole life because of that. This past year, due to my starving college student status and my mom not paying for my highlights any longer, I went and had my hair dyed back to its natural color.

However, this summer, not even six months later, I started to miss the blonde.

At home highlights scare me to death. The whole reason I started getting my hair done professionally is because of my mom experimenting with at home highlighting kits on my hair with disastrous results.

This on the other hand turned out great!

It was slow moving at first. I wanted all over highlights, so I was pulling hair through all of the holes with the grey circles around them. When I got to the back of my head, I had to enlist the help of my boyfriend because it was impossible to see. I think anyone who says they do it by themselves is amazing or lying. I put most of the bleach on there (Waste not, want not), and let it sit for thirty minutes. When I checked on it, I worried that it was still too golden, but I knew that if I left it any longer that I would be Playboy Bunny Blonde, as I like to call it, so I went ahead and washed it out.

Pulling the cap off in the shower? Scariest thing ever. All I could see was a big layer of cornflower yellow and then a dark layer of my natural color. After using the shampoo provided, though, it toned down to a pretty white blonde. The toner helped even more to take out the rest of the gold color.

The real results showed up when I got out and brushed my hair. This got the highlights where they need to be as opposed to one solid layer of blonde on the top.

They look great! They are evenly distributed and are a beautiful shade of blonde. :)

My only complaint? When I tried to comb out my hair after I took the cap off, my hair was one solid knot. It took me fifteen minutes just to get it brushed out.

Other than that, it was great!
on October 26, 2011
Be sure to take time and pull only tiny strands of hair through the holes in the cap at first. Tiny, as in 5 to 8 strands at a time through one hole. This takes at least an hour or more to pull all over your head. After getting used to this stuff you can try more or thicker highlights, extra places here and there, etc
I actually came home from a salon FOIL job and was so upset with the salon results (not the best hairdresser) that I bought a box of the L'Oreal frosting kit on the way home. I pulled strands through that she missed and other pieces that were full of "leopard spots" or else they were highlighted in the middle and not at the ends! I'd been doing this frosting at home for years, so did not have a problem. Thing is, I'd been going to a salon for this for the past 5 years, my hairdresser moved away, and now I see I will have to go back to the home highlighting. Fortunately, this product does the job. It still highlights my hair very well and it's professional looking (I've been told). The toner is imperative, so be sure to use it. Follow directions! Good luck - and read the "pros" reviewers more than the bad ones. If you leave the product on your hair long enough - mine takes almost an hour - you will not have orange or yellow hair. Mine is medium brown naturally - medium dishwater brown, not pretty, just dull. These highlights make so much difference! I use them all over and allow the pieces to get a very pale yellow to almost creamy white. Then your toner will come in and give you the perfect natural tone. I'll post a picture of my results here also. Keep in mind that I'm in my 60's, so don't criticize too much!)
review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 2, 2008
Ive been using this product since 1989 and it has never failed me. Ive tried other highlighting kits and they do not produce the same blondeness but rather an orangey color. I have medium to dark brown hair and this kit manages to get my hair to the blonde stage in about 60 min. without orangey tones. It just takes long pulling thru the cap but its worth the trouble. everyone thinks my highlights were done by a salon, including the salon people themselves cant believe I do it myself. Pull thin strands instead of thick chunks though, it has a better effect overall, subtlely dramatic.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have spent hundreds of dollars in salons for results that weren't as good as this !!
I love that I can pick and choose exactly where I want highlights and get great color and highlights for about $20.
I started with L'Oreal natural medium blonde for the base color then the next day I added the frost and design kit. I used the cap first and pulled strands through all around my head (all by myself) and left on for 25 minutes. Rinsed, shampooed, then blew my hair dry. Without using the cap I re-applied, choosing fine strands to frame my face and other strategic places and this time left on for 40 minutes. The results were amazing. Using two different timings I got two shades of blonde highlights. I'll never use anything else or waste money at the salon again. I very highly recommend this product !! The only negative is that I had so much product left over. I had enough to highlight at least four more heads of hair but had to throw it away. I wish this came in a smaller size so I don't feel so wasteful.
on October 20, 2009
I've tried so many hair color products in the past & haven't dared try anything for years. I have dark brown hair with a little gray near the temples & I used this product to scatter highlights just near the front. It looks great! It's just the right soft dark blonde that doesn't look fake or brassy. This is a great product for highlights that look just like the picture!