Most helpful critical review
108 of 116 people found the following review helpful
Works nicely, if you learn how to use it
on February 21, 2011
I've been buying department store mascaras the last few years, and, in an effort to cut back on my spending, decided to try this mascara since my favorite on-line makeup artist Makeup Geek has recommended it several times as her favorite mascara. It's a great mascara, but there's definitely a learning curve that goes with it.
After reading about it online, I've found some tricks that have helped me:
* The first few days that this mascara is brand new, it's really liquidy and gives you spidery lashes. If you can make it past those first few uses, the formula thickens.
* If the brush has a lot of product on it when you take it out of the tube, brush the excess off onto the top of the container or use a paper towel to wipe it off.
* You need to work *slowly* with this mascara. Start by wiggling it into the base of your lashes really slowly and coat the bases well. Then, slowly work it up through your lashes.
* Since it dries quickly, I've found that I can't alternate between eyes for a second coat, but stay with one eye to do two coats, before moving on to the second eye.
* The Carbon Black color is really deep and intense, and it can be tricky to remove it from your lashes at night. I've found that I have to wash my eyes twice (once with cold cream) to really remove this mascara, or else I have black smudges that look like black eyes all around my eye socket.
Although this mascara seems like a pain to use (and the reason I gave it four stars instead of five is that it requires a bit more work than other mascaras), it's not bad once you get the hang of it, and it makes for the deepest, darkest lashes you can imagine. Since it's a volumizing mascara, it won't do much in the way of length, but really makes your lashes look super lush and full. It's perfect for a smokey eye look, or even with lighter eye makeup, if you like more noticeable lashes.
I've already ordered this on Subscribe and Save, and will definitely be re-purchasing this instead of those more expensive brands that I had been using!
UPDATE ON 3/23/11: I originally gave this 4 stars, but just downgraded it to 3 stars. While I really like this mascara, it's practically impossible to remove! I've had to use two different removers each time I use it to get it off, and even then I'm still left with lots of black streaks around my eyes that I can't seem to get off. I hate the idea of tugging on the delicate skin around my eyes to remove this, so I won't be re-purchasing.