Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes

Size: 0.28 ozColor: Carbon BlackChange
Price:$5.89+ Free shipping (Addon item)

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon February 21, 2011
I've been buying department store mascaras the last few years, and, in an effort to cut back on my spending, decided to try this mascara since my favorite on-line makeup artist Makeup Geek has recommended it several times as her favorite mascara. It's a great mascara, but there's definitely a learning curve that goes with it.

After reading about it online, I've found some tricks that have helped me:

* The first few days that this mascara is brand new, it's really liquidy and gives you spidery lashes. If you can make it past those first few uses, the formula thickens.

* If the brush has a lot of product on it when you take it out of the tube, brush the excess off onto the top of the container or use a paper towel to wipe it off.

* You need to work *slowly* with this mascara. Start by wiggling it into the base of your lashes really slowly and coat the bases well. Then, slowly work it up through your lashes.

* Since it dries quickly, I've found that I can't alternate between eyes for a second coat, but stay with one eye to do two coats, before moving on to the second eye.

* The Carbon Black color is really deep and intense, and it can be tricky to remove it from your lashes at night. I've found that I have to wash my eyes twice (once with cold cream) to really remove this mascara, or else I have black smudges that look like black eyes all around my eye socket.

Although this mascara seems like a pain to use (and the reason I gave it four stars instead of five is that it requires a bit more work than other mascaras), it's not bad once you get the hang of it, and it makes for the deepest, darkest lashes you can imagine. Since it's a volumizing mascara, it won't do much in the way of length, but really makes your lashes look super lush and full. It's perfect for a smokey eye look, or even with lighter eye makeup, if you like more noticeable lashes.

I've already ordered this on Subscribe and Save, and will definitely be re-purchasing this instead of those more expensive brands that I had been using!

UPDATE ON 3/23/11: I originally gave this 4 stars, but just downgraded it to 3 stars. While I really like this mascara, it's practically impossible to remove! I've had to use two different removers each time I use it to get it off, and even then I'm still left with lots of black streaks around my eyes that I can't seem to get off. I hate the idea of tugging on the delicate skin around my eyes to remove this, so I won't be re-purchasing.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2013
I read all the reviews on this mascara and felt like I had to put my two cents in. I have tried just about every L'Oreal mascara. this is by far the best. this alone has given me more compliments on my eyes and eyelashes than anything else. more than once I have been asked if my eyelashes were real or not. thank you L'Oreal.

the color is very rich. when I apply it, it coats every strand with its dark, beautiful goop that makes my eyelashes look sexy, long, and full. maybe not a word someone uses to describe mascara, but it is very creamy, not dry like some mascaras are (even when first opened). when I take it out, the tip contains a tiny bit of mascara on it or in other words, the tip contains more of the 'goop'. this works for me because I use that to apply it to the edges, making my eyelashes appear even fuller and resulting in a wing tip sort of look (for the eyelashes).

in beginner hands, I can see how that would pose a problem. I have never had an issue with clumping or my eyelashes looking like they have fused into two pointy lashes. we all know that when applying mascara, you have to wiggle it all the way through to avoid clumps. with this mascara, 1-2 coats is enough because with the first coat, it gets the job done. want even fuller darker lashes? do a second coat BUT don't forget to wiggle the brush and to not wait too long in between coats. applying a second coat on dried lashes is a BAD IDEA.

as for makeup remover not removing the mascara. again, that was not a problem for me. I don't use eye makeup remover to remove my eye makeup. I use baby shampoo (it is really cheap compared to eye makeup remover and it is safe and gentle to use on my eyes). it removes all traces of my makeup, mascara and all.

it does not wear off throughout the day, does not smear, and even stayed put through a very vigorous workout in a non air conditioned place. my face sweats a lot, compared to the people around me (even in 75 degree weather), and never has my mascara smeared or came off as a result of that. take it from someone who applies mascara every day, has fallen asleep in it (by accident!), has worked out, cried, and hooked up in it. it is aaaamazing.
on January 2, 2014
This is hands down the best mascara I've ever used. From time to time, I will stray and buy an expensive brand like Dior or Benefit, however I am always disappointed and mad at myself for spending so much. I go back to the tried and true L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Original Mascara. Try this mascara if you want thick, lush lashes.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
I have used this mascara for years and years, and though I have deviated here and there to other brands, I always, always come back to the original. Even the varieties of Voluminous they have produced that are much more fancy, like the one with the curved brush, pales in comparison. I have long lashes, but they're very fine, and this mascara not only makes them look great, but they stay soft to the touch and never flake.
on May 30, 2011
I found this product to be very clumpy and gloopy and smudge. I can't understand why this mascara would smudge without being rubbed or getting wet but it does. I also have to wipe off the brush of all the excess before I can use it. Good price but I would be willing to pay more for a better product. Compared side by side with my Clinique mascara, this product doesn't perform nearly as well.
on June 14, 2015
I came home to find this at my doorstep and immediately went inside to apply. (Make-up wh0re here!) I am so happy with it! I feel about it the way I felt when I applied 'They're Real' by Benefit: AMAZED!!

I could go on about all the high-priced mascaras I have tried (They're so Big, Definicils, etc.). The only drug store brand I liked this much was Maybelline "Lash Stylist".. and it was discontinued. I've never been one to cry over discontinued make-up products. I have SO MANY in my arsenal, I don't have time to get attached, but I may have shed a tear or two when this one no longer graced the shelves or my lashes. [sad face]

I have used this mascara once. Minutes ago. I may use it tomorrow or the next day and be underwhelmed. I doubt that. It may dry out sooner than I would like, i.e., with 2 weeks of daily use, that is possible. I WILL update if something tarnishes the reputation I just confirmed (in my own mind) because mascara is a serious matter and if my review helps only one girl (or guy.. no judgement) I will be happy.

As far as I can tell, Wayne Goss was right.
review image
on April 6, 2013
This is the mascara I have used for years. It covers your lashes quickly, does not smudge, or clump. It washes off easily with soap and water. I find that you should let your application dry for a few seconds before adding another, because your lashes will stick together. This mascara will last for about 3 weeks with normal use.
on September 2, 2012
I should say I've used this for decades & like the original very much. I've made the mistake of buying the waterproof, and YES it's VERY waterproof--have to use cleansing cream to get it off. Amazon's price is right, I'm now checking w/Amazon b/4 I go out to shop as most of their items are cheaper than in stores. The original does plump & extend lashes to my satisfaction.
on March 17, 2015
Love this mascara!!! Excellent quality. Love it
review image review image
on August 28, 2012
The most important thing in mascara is the brush. If you find the one that works for you, you've found the best mascara. This one has been my favorite for years, because of its brush that makes my eyelashes long and beautiful. Five starz!