5.0 out of 5 stars Long-lasting, Luminous Results!
Published on October 12, 2012 by Michele Lee B.

It was on the shelf at Walgreen's, staring at me with a reasonable price and a good-sized 2.5 fl. oz tube. It was from L'Oreal, a decent brand, and part of their Youth Code line, which has other products I have used and been satisfied with. How could I not try a tube?

While it wasn't a huge loss, I wish I hadn't bothered.

A true BB cream will give...
Published 23 months ago by a consumer

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-lasting, Luminous Results!, October 12, 2012
This review is from: L'Oreal Paris Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator, Medium, 2.5 Fluid Ounce (Misc.)
I am at the age when the skin has become thinner, the wrinkles are beginning to become more obvious and inevitable, and hormonal acne is a monthly nuisance. I started researching BB Creams for all the helpful properties being touted: hydration, skin tone correction, sunscreen! True to its proclamations, L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream does all of that and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. This is a great multi-tasking, beauty essential and has become part of my daily routine!

This BB cream has proven to be very effective for me. My beauty standard for new products: efficacy, ingredients, cost/value. Some BB creams can be so outrageously expensive, but I didn't want to spend a small fortune on something still relatively new to the American market. What a value this is! A little goes a long way, the tube size is very generous.

I use it every day, in place of a daytime moisturizer, which in my opinion, is a necessity if you have dry skin like me (wrinkles look deeper when your skin is dry). I like that I can even wear it alone, and forego foundation altogether. I should note hear that the medium tone works well, there's no pinky pink undertones. When I do use foundation, I allow the BB cream to dry a few minutes before application. The BB cream helps smoothe out my foundation which I apply with a sponge and I follow up with a powder to tone down any shine. As for the greasy consistency that BB creams or silicone primers purportedly have, I would say L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream doesn't seem overly so. I am also highly sensitive to heavily scented products, a major turnoff for me no-matter how effective a product can be, and I'm suffice to say it does not contain anything overpowering or unpleasant.

Another benefit is that it lasts all day. It helps keep the foundation from sliding off your face and gives your face a dewy, luminous, youthful complexion.Having been using this for several weeks, I see a difference in my skin. I haven't experienced additional breakouts, as a matter of fact, my breakouts have been minimal! I am utterly amazed at being blemish-free since using this product! I simply love it. I would certainly recommend this product, and will definitely purchase again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad At All, August 28, 2012
I've come to the conclusion that everyone else has come to in this craze for BB creams - unless they are the Asian kind with whitening agents, they are basically tinted moisturizers. However, I do like this product from L'Oreal. It has great coverage for being so lightweight, it does have an SPF 15 and it wears for a good long time - I would say about eight to nine hours under makeup and five to six for an event where you'd be exposed to the elements or working. I have a very physical job and it holds up well for a workday.

2.0 out of 5 stars you can do better- weak results, real BB cream is better than this tinted moisturizing sunscreen, January 21, 2013

While it wasn't a huge loss, I wish I hadn't bothered.

A true BB cream will give you "glow", minimize skin imperfections, and if good, can even take the place of your foundation. I had found all these assets in a different L'Oreal' product, their Skin Beautifier BB Cream, and thought perhaps their Youth Code Illuminator SPF 15 version would be even better. Not even close.

The only reason this looked natural on me is because it provided no real coverage. The small variations in my skin color were not evened out by the product. It went on smoothly, but seemed to disappear with no "glow", no color, no illumination as implied in the name, no nothing except the tiniest amount of shine. As for the possibility of using it with no foundation... nope. I tried applying a second coat in case more was required for results, but still nada. Maybe the intention was different, since the packaging refers repeatedly to its sunscreen capabilities... well fine, but then call it a tinted moisturizing sunscreen, don't climb on the bandwagon and try to get away with calling it a BB cream.

The other, superior Skin Beautifier BB Cream (now also being called "Studio Secrets") leaves my skin tone even with a subtle pearly finish, minimizes pores, and makes my face look flawless.

If you are experimenting with BB Creams and not looking to fork out a wad of cash for a premium one, I'd suggest trying the L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream. You might even try the Maybelline (which was ok but too shiny for my taste). But don't let this Youth Code product be your only try of BB creams because there's better stuff out there, honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific value!, October 11, 2012
First of all, it was twice as big as I was expecting. This will last me a VERY long time. But most important, of course, is how it works. I got the medium shade, and it's perfect. I have nothing negative to say. It has sunscreen, it goes on smoothly. It gives my skin a natural glow. I'm 57 years old but I think this will work on skin of any age.This is a great product, and I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh how I love this BB cream, January 13, 2013
This is the best BB cream I have ever used! And I have used plenty with pricing high and low! This feels so good on my skin, doesn't break it out and looks so natural! I am SOLD!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Love it, Love it!, August 27, 2012
I am so happy with this product. I have been looking for an oil free, tinted moisturizer for years. The ones I have tried felt thick and greasy on my oily skin. This feels like heaven! Great color and coverage. Nice scent and does not feel heavy. I will stay with this!

5.0 out of 5 stars This gives a perfect finish...no foundation required, April 23, 2013
I love, love love this product and don't know why I can't find it in the stores. It is light, doesn't cause break-outs, makes my skin look as close to porcelain as it ever has and who knows what other good it might be doing. I appreciate the SPF, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best BB Cream, March 5, 2013
I have tried a few other BB creams. This one is perfect for me! Great coverage and my skin looks better AFTER I use it than before. I do have sensitive skin, so I am really excited that this one doesn't cause me issues!

5.0 out of 5 stars First time and more than I expected! WILL buy AGAIN!, September 24, 2012
I have been a LONG TIME user of bareminerals makeup. Although my skin has been very clear my entire life, now that I am older ... I wanted to try something new. I wanted something that had some coverage for the sun spots I now have and that would have sunscreen and that would act like a primer for a more flawless look. I had heard about BB Cream and some of the benefits it had for skin. Of course, I will say my skin is very sensitive and the very slightest product that is too drying WILL cause a breakout as well as any product that is too heavy and oily will cause a breakout. I am asian with NORMAL skin year round except when winter comes around, it can get dry. I honestly was using a face primer prior to my purchase of this and went back to Walmart trying to look for it again. Surely, they did not have what I wanted in stock and I see THIS instead. $13 was no cheap purchase and I was not sure if I wanted to try it especially since I had never heard anything about it before. The first 3 days or so that I used it, I loved the glow of it as well as the coverage. I loved the thick consistency and I LOVE the feminine smell. The only thing I was worried about was I THOUGHT I started getting a few pimples. Not really big or anything but I continued to use it since I did not have anything else and I wanted protection from the sun. It has been 3 weeks and I will say I LOVE it! Other than my skin getting used to the BB Cream and getting but a few pimples that went away quick! My skin is still flawless with NO breakouts! I love the coverage and how I can set my mineral makeup right over it for a matte look or choose to NOT use the mineral makeup and go for the glow! I love the coverage and the scent and the feeling. Now I will say since I NEVER have used foundation for over 12 years, it DOES feel heavy on my skin, heavier than skin primers but when I think about it giving me everything else I want in a bottle, the heaviness of the product doesn't even matter to me anymore. I use the LIGHT color and it fit me perfect. Of course, after a week at the beach, my color IS a little darker but otherwise, I LOVE this product! I DID see some reviews on Youtube.com about it where some say they don't like it. But for someone like me who has extremely sensitive skin and still being able to use it, I LOVE IT! Now I am SCARED to try anything else!

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, But Colors are "Off", August 1, 2013
While I like the "all-in-one" convenience of this BB cream, including the SPF 15, I was unable to find a color match for my light/medium skin tone. I have this BB in both the Light and Medium shades.

So here's the trouble with the color-matching:

--The light is far too pale for me, and looked sort of pasty on the skin. (As if I'd been ill.)
--The medium is far too dark for me, and looked terribly yellow on the skin. (Jaundice, anyone?)

I tried combining a little of each shade, but the result wasn't good there, either. I just ended up with a lighter yellow color, which still (fortunately!) didn't match my skin tone. (Fortunately, because light yellow isn't what I was after!)

So, three stars for the convenience, and the fact that it "wears-well" (as in, it stays put pretty well during all-day wear) But minus 2 stars because of the limited colors and matching problems.

Now, if you don't mind experimenting (maybe a friend has some you can try?) you might have better luck with finding the right color.