Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on December 24, 2014
My husband and I recently purchased a Samsung Smart plasma TV. Great picture but the sound quality was not what we expected. So we added a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers to improve the sound. We decided to purchase this little mini amp to drive the speakers.

Much to our surprise did we realize that our TV does not have any RCA outs. It only has an optical output which cannot be connected to this amp. So we ended up having to purchase a converter to be able to connect the amp to our TV. I wish we had known this before.
22 comments34 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2014
Had a pair of 1987 vintage Bose 2.2 speakers that I wanted to use in my basement. Looking at 2-channel receivers to do the job when I came across the Lepai amp. Mostly use an IPOD Classic 6 80 mb and IPAD as source for music, XM/Sirius, and Internet radio. Didn't want/need a tuner or remote so it looked like the Lepai filled the bill. It sure did. Drives the Bose speakers effortlessly at 1/2 volume. A few comments on reviews a read while researching this product. 1) My amp had the "CE" certification. 2) Came with a 13.5 volt/3.0 amp power converter. 3) No RCA/mini cord with my amp. 3) Amp is quite light in weight so I attached it to wood block for stability. 4) Blue light on front panel is quite bright, but this is not an issue for me since I use it in a lit basement. 5) I prefer the sound in "direct" mode, bypassing the bass/treble control. Great value for the price.
review image
on December 20, 2014
This worked exactly as intended.
I had the following project in mind for this:
Take a standard, copper-wired, non-powered subwoofer and convert this for use with a better home theater solution that has an RCA subwoofer output. I was hoping to re-use what I had instead of spending $89 on a powered subwoofer.
Objectives:
- Use existing wiring - no wires could be visible.
- Use current, non-powered subwoofer as a powered subwoofer

We had internal wiring that was just plain ol' speaker wire as that was what the original Home Theater subwoofer used.
We upgraded to a nice Yamaha system with an RCA plug and required this to complete the connection from the home theater subwoofer jack to the subwoofer via in-wall wiring.
I actually ordered this and two "IEC 18 AWG 1-Feet Speaker wire with RCA Male Black" adapters. I used one of these from the home theater system to the wallplate (I attached a little extra wire and some banana plugs) and one from the wall to the amplifier. The copper speaker wire then connected right into the amplifier (I actually mounted the amplifier to the back of the subwoofer with 4 wood screws - very simple!).

The end result was fantastic! We even compared it to the Yamaha powered subwoofer ($89 on Amazon), and it sounded every bit as good - for only $30 in parts!

Anyway, for those of you in a similar situation, this is a great solution for converting a non-powered subwoofer and using existing wiring.
on January 4, 2011
My 300 watt sony shelf system broke, and I didn't want to take down the speakers I had mounted to the wall, so I figure a little amp like this will work to power the sound for my computer. I wasn't using the FM stereo, tape deck, or 5-disc CD changer, so this will save me power and space without wasting the speakers I already have. The 3.5mm line-in jack is a great bonus to the stereo RCA inputs.
review image review image
on December 15, 2014
Good for what it is! Sounds great as long as you don't try to over-drive it. The power supply I received with mine is 3A 12V which is much better than what used to be included. I don't think getting a separate power supply is necessary with the updated power supply that ships with this unit now.
on December 22, 2014
I keep finding new ways to use this amp. I originally bought it to power some ceiling speakers in our office, which it does flawlessly. We plug our phones into it to provide the music. It has both a headphone 3.5mm stereo input and the red and white "RCA" style inputs. Extremely simple operation and setup. I've since gone on to use this repeatedly in retail stores for promotional audio, and even at home for outdoor speakers. (amp is mounted indoors with cables going out) If you're powering smaller, low-wattage speakers, this will work perfectly. I've mounted it to walls, furniture, ceilings, and beyond. I've probably bought at least 10 of these already, and they're all going strong. I just bought 2 more to use in high-tech meeting rooms so that people can play audio from their laptops when they're presenting on the screen. We'll mount it under the table and run the speaker cable up the wall and behind the TV. The big illuminated volume knob is great too, so you can quickly find it if something gets too loud or quiet.
on December 16, 2014
I bought one of these based on a blog recommendation for a low cost, decent sounding speaker set up. I mostly use it paired to an Apple Airport Express so I can AirPlay music from my phone or tablet. I'm no audiophile, so I can't speak much to the sound quality, but I have no complaints with it in that regard.

It does seem that after a while my unit has stopped working. It powers up and the LED comes on, but I get nothing out of the speakers, not even a hum. Picked up a replacement unit. The price is low enough that I'm not really bothered.
on December 11, 2014
This is the perfect solution for my 91Y/O uncle whom is hard of hearing, and refuses to wear his brand new $13,000.00 hearing aides.

My husband set this up near his Easy Chair...and two extension speakers near him, and he can now adjust the volumn to watch his TV as loud or LOUD as he needs it.
It is so easy for him to operate ( adjust it ) it to his preference and sound quality.
He calls it his "Blue Light Sound Machine!"
on December 11, 2014
The outputs do not come with the item, the wires must be bought separately which i did not read carefully. But after you get your wires to hook it up to your speakers, its amazing for the price, and the quality is surprising good. I did not expect much from the Lepai but once I hooked it up to my book shelve speakers the amp just took over, and produced great sound, highly recommend to anyone wanting to buy an amplifier for their home entertainment.
on November 26, 2014
As other buyers have noted, the power supply is the Achilles heel of this product. In my case, the power supply only lasted a few days before it died completely. Before the power supply died, the amp worked great. I used it to drive a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers in my office, and the sound quality was very good. I'm returning for replacement, and hoping the second try works out better.