Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on July 26, 2013
The batteries last about 1/3 the amount as the original Canon battery. I guess you get what you pay for.

Update:
Shortly after posting this review, a rep from Big Mike's, the only seller of this item, called me to ask me to remove this review. I told him that I have no intention of doing so since it is my honest experience with this product. He then said he would replace the batteries with better ones (from Vivitar) and include a return shipping label for me to return these seemingly defective batteries (so he could have them tested), which he did after about a week. The new batteries from Vivitar work very well. He then called about a week after that and said that his tests confirmed my findings of low capacity and that he then called the manufacturer that told him that these batteries were NOT meant to be charged in the OEM Canon charger, otherwise they may not fully charge. They are meant to be charged in a generic charger that does not require a special component inside the battery that communicates with the Canon charger (which apparently the Vivitar batteries posses since they charge fully). He then asked me to once again remove my review. I again told him that I would not remove it but that I would update it and I also recommended that he specify very clearly in the product description that these batteries are NOT OEM replacements as they do not contain the component needed to be fully charged by the OEM Canon charger and that they require a generic charger in order to charge fully. He said he would do so immediately. That conversation was days ago and Big Mike's has not yet amended the product description to reflect this.
Normally I do not divulge this much about a seller in a review but since this is the only seller that sells this item, I feel it's pertinent.

If anyone sees that they have actually changed the description as promised, please let me know and I will adjust this review. Thanks.
1212 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2013
At the time of this review this battery is made by Bower, model XPDCE12 For Canon LP-E12, in China. It is rated at 7.4v 1400 mAh and the original Canon LP-E12 battery is rated at 7.2v 875 mAh. In a few cycles of charge and discharge I have yet to notice any battery hysteresis, but they seem to hold a charge a little longer than the OEM. Again, this is not scientific and I don't have any conclusive data at this point. It is based on initial observations. I have seen no detrimental performance in the EOS M mirror-less camera at this time. For the price and performance it seems to be a winner.
on August 15, 2013
Not only does these batteries NOT hold as much charge, when they run out of juice they just die abruptly without giving the camera enough reserve to do a graceful shut-down. I lost a very important interview because of that. Definitely returning them.

For those who wants more technical detail, when a factory / OEM battery is close to depleted, the camera would realize the battery is almost empty, stop the recording, finish writing stuff to the memory card (i.e. "close up" the video file) and then finally shuts itself off. But not for these - they seems to take on reasonable charges, as I was able to use them to record anywhere between 30 min. to an hour of video. However, almost every time if the battery "depletes" during a recording, the camera would simply power-off as if someone pulled the battery out. It does not let the camera finish wrapping up the video file, and all your work would be lost. I learned this the hard way during the aforementioned interview; about 25 minutes into it the battery died and NONE of that 25 minute was saved on my SD card. And the footage from the other 2 camera (we ran 3 or 4 at a time) simply aren't enough. My guest wasn't happy and made us look like jacks.

So... do yourself a favor, either TEST the battery you got extensively before putting them in production (yeah I know, I should've done that myself... now i know never to trust anyone) or buy factory batteries.

W.
on November 7, 2013
These are supposed to last longer than Canon's OEM batteries (1100mAh vs 875mAh).

In practice, I find they only last about half the time my Canon OEM battery does.
on June 15, 2015
I bought these as backup batteries for my new canon camera. They were easy to charge and fit into my camera. the only thing I can find fault with is they do not come with a cap for the terminal end of the battery. So i have put them in the bubble wrap
on March 19, 2016
I like this charger and the OEM Canon charger for two different reasons. This charger comes with a 12v cable so that you can charge your batteries in the car while on the go. I prefer the size of the OEM charger which fits flatter against the wall. The reason the BM charger sticks further out of the wall is because the charger itself is separate from the charging bay so that the manufacturer can make one charger for a specific voltage and just adapt on the right port for a specific battery size. I leave my OEM charger at home on the wall, since it sits so flat, and I take this one on the road so that I have the extra 12v charging option.
on December 31, 2013
This replacement after market battery last longer than the original Canon item both in video and in photgraphy sessions. Since the EOS M is the backup camera of choice for many pro photographers a good set of batteries is what I most needed. Since no battery grip is available at the time, tis battery is a great choice ESPECIALLY FOR THIS PRICE. The camera works without problems, as well as with the original item, it charges really fast and the AWESOME accompanying rapid charger will also charge fast the original battery that came with your camera. A great buy for all CANON EOS M happy owners.
on June 13, 2016
This has been a wonderful buy. This batteries last much longer than the original ones that came with my Canon camera. I love to use these as I know do not have to worry about my battery not being charged when I am out and about doing my photography which is a hobby of mine. Also, when I am at my kid's school or performances, it is great knowing that I have back up and I do not have to worry about not having battery. This is a must have.

I received this product for free or at a discounted rate in exchange for product testing and review. I am under no obligation to provide a positive review and received no incentives or rewards for doing so. My goal is to highlight features and drawbacks that I would want to know about as a buyer, not hype the product for the manufacturer to increase sales. My remarks are sincere and true. I work very hard trying to write insightful and thoughtful reviews for each item. I hope that these reviews are helpful to others. While it is true that many items are received at discounted rates or complimentary, my reviews are completely unbiased as well as honest and are my personal experiences and opinion of the product. Once again, it is just my own opinion and experience with the product, your own opinion and experience may vary. I received no monetary compensation and not required to give a good review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission Guidelines on Testimony and Advertising.
on March 4, 2014
These work as well in my EOS M as the OEM batteries. Seem to last about as long shooting video as the Canon brand battery. The EOS M uses up batteries pretty quickly when shooting video, so its a good idea to have at least four extra batteries in your pocket if you are going to shoot a lot of video.

Update: Testing these in a Canon SL1, these batteries run shooting video continuously for 1 hour, versus the OEM batteries that run 1.5 hours. Still a good deal considering the price difference.
on December 9, 2013
I recently misplaced the battery charger for my Canon Eos M, and rather than overpay for a new OEM charger I decided to try this charger and aftermarket battery. So far, the function and value of this product is excellent. The battery holds a charge at least as long as my original, and the charger works flawlessly. Even if I find my original charger I will probably use this one since it can plug into a wall socket or a car's cigarette lighter. I really don't have much of a need for the screen protector and I use the cleaning cloth to wipe my laptop's screen instead of my camera's, but their inclusion was a nice gesture.

All in all I really don't have anything negative to say about this charger/battery, but I will update my review if my experience changes.