4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad
Published on January 14, 2012 by TS Warrior

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Linux Study, Marginal Linux+ test prep
I bought this book
1) because it had the latest publishing date and I figured that it would more accurately reflect the latest CompTIA Linux+ exams and
2) because the books similar to the ones I used to study for the Security+, Network+, and A+ exams were published either pre-2009 or had really bad reviews.

I found this book to be very good for Linux...
Published on September 23, 2011 by KP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Linux Study, Marginal Linux+ test prep, September 23, 2011
This review is from: LPIC-1/CompTIA Linux+ Certification Exam Guide (Exams LPIC-1/LX0-101 & LX0-102) (All-in-One) (Hardcover)
I bought this book

I found this book to be very good for Linux study, but not so good for preparation for the Linux+ exam.
I am not sure whether it is the exam's fault or the book. The exams only seemed to use about 10% of the really useful stuff you should know from the book, 50% of the more fringe stuff from the book that is not really highlighted in the text as much or even addressed in the practice exams, and 40% from stuff that is not even addressed in the book or was contradictory to what the book said.

The biggest surprise was that the exam had several fill in the blanks, where the book's practice questions and exams have none and I don't recall any mention of fill in the blanks (could be wrong, but I was not prepared for that).

The book did help, but I ended up going thru both exams 5 times and used all but 15 minutes on each test and was not sure at all that I would pass.
I ended up with 610 and 620 on the exams, with passing being 500, but I had to really depend on my actual Linux experience (which was a little rusty) as much or more than what I got out of the book.

This book is probably better than what else is available, but it could do a much better job of preparing someone for the exams.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, January 14, 2012
Prior to this book, I was a complete neophyte in regards to Linux. Like most Windows veterans, I knew of, but didn't know Linux. Having read Mr Tracy's book cover to cover, I'm comfortable with my knowledge of Linux now. I'm far from being an expert, but this book really gave me the basics of how to work with Linux. If that was the only purpose of this book, then it would easily receive 5 stars. Mr Tracy's approach is to assume that the reader knows absolutely nothing about Linux, so he starts from basics and works his way towards more and more advanced information. As such, this is a great way to learn about Linux.

However, as stated in the title of the book, the primary purpose here is to prepare the reader for the Linux + exams. This is where Mr Tracy is less effective. While I definitely learned the basics, it was the various practice exams I found online that truly prepared me for the test. If I had relied solely on this book, I most definitely would have failed the exam.

So, 5 stars for being a great tool for teaching me the basic concepts. And 2 stars for preparing me for the actual test. I will say that I'm willing to give Mr Tracy some benefit of the doubt, since CompTIA is notorious for constantly changing and evolving their tests, so any given book will be lacking in some regard. Also, its worth pointing out that Mr Tracy's 2 page explanation of the OSI Model is vastly superior to the entire chapter devoted to the topic in the Network + book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough Study Guide for Linux+/LPIC-1, December 21, 2011
If you are looking for a thorough presentation of all the objectives in the LPIC-1/Linux+ exam, this is a very good book to have in your collection. Of course, many factors are involved (experience, time of study, etc.), but I passed my exams with a 780 and a 790 (out of 800 points) with the help of this book. The writing style of Robb Tracy is very easy to read; I did not find myself being bored to death. Pulling from his own experience, he provides the reader with several real-world examples of principles taught. The extra material this book provides is a great value and great for reinforcing the topics presented. Tracy makes clear, rightfully so, that repetition is the key to learning the material. This repetition takes place by reading the material, watching the videos, practicing the given exercises, taking the quizzes, reviewing the chapter end summaries and accelerated reviews. If a diligent student takes advantage of all this, he will be in good shape to take the exam. However, be advised the Linux+/LPIC-1 exam is not a simple gimme exam; it is as serious exam that contains not only multiple choice but fill-in-the-blank questions as well. Some of the questions require the test taker to know particular commands (with arguments in some cases) or paths to particular files. The questions presented in the book are not representative of the exam. However, I do not count that against book. I was not looking for a test simulator; if I were, I would have bought another product. I was simply looking for a book that would teach me the needed material to pass the exam, and this book fulfilled that.

I used this book alongside with Oreilly's "LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell." While the Oreilly book is also well done, I found the coverage of material to be more in-depth in Tracy's book. However, that is to be expected since the Oreilly book is part of their "Nutshell" series. Nonetheless, the extra coverage was very beneficial for me especially when dealing with encryption. I feel Tracy's book provided much more of the groundwork for one to be able to fully grasp that topic. One suggestion I would have for Tracy is to organize the book in the same manner as the Oreilly book. The Oreilly book is organized by exam--the 1st half of the book for the 1st exam; the 2nd half for the 2nd exam. I found that organization to be wonderful (I took my exams separately). While Tracy's book does provide an appendix that matches chapter/page numbers with objectives, I just found it more convenient organized by exam.

In conclusion, I would recommend this book to a student to put in their collection of resources of study. Also, do not expect this book to provide you with something it does not set out to provide--an exam simulator. If you want that, you will need to buy another product in conjunction with this (the same is true for the Oreilly book). I'm thankful for the time that was put into writing the material and the videos that were created. There is no doubt this book played a major role in me passing the exams and I will definitely continue to use this book as a reference tool.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but it just not enough., October 12, 2012
Honestly, the book is well written for those individuals that are new to the Linux operating system. However, I don't believe the book is sufficient to pass the Linux+/LPIC-1 exams. The author was entertaining and informative, but the book layout had much to be desired. I do understand the author believed the book layout gave you a solid footing to understand information provided in later in the book. I personally feel the book should have been divided up in to two major sections to cover each test. I do feel the videos are very helpful for those that do not learn from reading alone. The practice tests (although not thorough) still aided in re-enforcing the information learned.

The LPI site has a portion devoted to exam preparation. In this section there are links provided to free learning materials. I actually found these materials much more useful than any books currently on the market. There are also more accurate practice tests available on the web.

I congratulate the author on a book well written. Sadly, it just falls short for exam preparation. If, however, I see this author has written a book on a subject I know little to nothing about, I will most likely purchase his book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good exam prep tool, December 2, 2011
I was very disappointed when I took the Linux + exams. This book did not present the tests in the correct format. Approximately 20 to 25% of the test questions were fill in the blanks or type your answer into a blank. They were not multiple choice. It also did not go into enough depth with some of the Linux commands or configuration files, compared to the questions on the actual tests. Finally there were some questions on the test that simply were not covered in the book.

Furthermore, their practice tests contradicted themselves probably a half a dozen times. One practice test would say the answer was one thing and another practice test would say another. You would have to look in the book to find the correct answer. On the practice tests that they gave you access to through the website, there were questions that I couldn't find the answer to in the book. I had to just take the test's word for it that the correct answer was the correct answer.

All in all I learned a lot from this book which helps me in my current position, but it did not adequately prepare me for the Linux + tests (lxo-101 and lxo-102).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Linux book, okay for the test 1, not okay for test 2., January 8, 2013
ahusmc (san antonio, tx United States) - See all my reviews
One of the best written Information Technology books I have read in a while. Use in conjunction with other training materials for the CompTIA / LPIC Exams.

Update:

Make sure to use a far more in-depth Linux administration Book for the LX0-102 Exam. This book is pretty good for LX0-101 but hardly scratches the surface of the LX0-102 Exam Objectives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passed the exam, barely, March 27, 2012
All I can say is I also found the real Linux+ exam far different from the sample questions in the book. The book makes it seem easy, but it was not. About 20% of the exams seemed to be fill in the blank questions, and a lot of them were off the wall stuff that I really had to think about, or asking to do a simple task in an unusual way. It might be good as an introduction to the Linux+ exam, but it fails to truly prepare one for the intensity of the test.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for LX-101, Bad for LX-102, February 8, 2013
LX-101: There are numerous things missing from this book for LX-101 that are explicitly stated in the LX-101 objectives as a term, command, or file you should know about. You'll also find things on the exam that were never mentioned at all, but not many. For LX-101 you can pass with this book. Also a many of the options shown for commands are just wrong -- so if you try to study/memorize the presented options instead of using the man pages or command --help, you might be SOL. Here's an example; there are two common modification commands for groups; groupmod and gpasswd -- the author only introduces groupmod, not gpasswd, and he takes options that ONLY gpasswd does and throws them under groupmod. Not knowing gpasswd won't screw you but if you have enough options mixed up because you didn't check the man pages - that might screw you.

LX-102: Without external resources or prior experience, you will very likely not pass this exam. LX-102 has a lot of fill in the blank questions so you can't guess something you've never seen before on a fill in the blank. This book is wholly inadequate for LX-102.

MasterExams included with book: These exams are horrible. As soon as you start an exam you can see the questions are much too easy and aren't a real gauge for knowledge. Also, the exam questions are worded like they were plucked right out the book which is also useless; a good practice exam needs to take different approaches on questions so that you know you really know something. I except a lot out of questions provided by these study guides especially since, for Linux+, practice tests are really lacking across the Internet. Just because you found one, don't believe that it is helpful. Just about every one of them floating around is for the OLD Linux+ test or the old LPIC-1 test. Yes this is LPIC-1 Linux+ but they are not the same test at all and the LPIC-1 test that came before LPIC-1/Linux+ was much harder and includes a ton of stuff you don't need to know.

If you are comfortable with Linux already this book will probably help you pass LX-101 fine but not LX-102. If you're new to Linux and have no familiarity with the commands then this book probably isn't sufficient for either test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but a little outdated, November 4, 2013
This is a great book for people who are new to Linux. The author goes through great lengths to put each chapter in context and provides informative videos to reinforce the core concepts in each chapter.

I would strongly recommend that you use this book to learn Linux then use LPIC-1: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: (Exams 101 and 102) to study for the exam. It was written this year and is more organized toward the exam objectives.

I passed both my Linux+ exams and am now Linux+ certified.

Best of luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Helpful, May 5, 2013
Using pretty much this book alone (and what I knew about Unix already), I passed this exam on the first try. If you're comfortable with Linux (you know if you are), **in particular the command line**, and you're dedicated to reading this book (I still read it twice), you should do fine. Congratulations to you when you pass.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›