From the Back Cover
The first edition of this book is globally recognized as the ultimate reference book on LTE. Following the success of it predecessor, this second edition is fully updated, covering the latest additions to LTE and a full description of LTE-Advanced.
LTE – The UMTS Long Term Evolution, second edition offers a comprehensive system-level understanding built on explanations of the underlying theory. It includes complete coverage of Release 9 and the first release of LTE-Advanced, Release 10. The book is a collaborative effort of more than 40 key experts representing over 20 companies actively participating in the development of LTE, as well as academia. The book highlights practical implications, illustrates the expected performance, and draws comparisons with the well-known WCDMA/HSPA standards. The authors not only pay special attention to the physical layer, giving an insight into the fundamental concepts of OFDMA, SC-FDMA and MIMO, but also cover the higher protocol layers and system architecture to enable the reader to gain an overall understanding of the system.
- Comprehensively updated with the latest changes of the LTE Release 8 and 9 specifications, including improved coverage of Radio Resource Management, RF aspects and performance requirements
- Provides detailed coverage of the new LTE Release 9 features, including: eMBMS, dual-layer beamforming, user equipment positioning, home eNodeBs/femtocells, picocells and Self-Optimizing Networks (SON)
- Evaluates the LTE system performance
- Explains LTE-Advanced, beginning with its context and motivation, and covering the key new features of carrier aggregation and high-order MIMO, as well as relaying, enhanced Inter-Cell Interference Coordination (eICIC), network energy saving and minimization of drive tests
- Discusses future developments such as Cooperative Multi-Point (CoMP) transmission and Machine-Type Communication (MTC)
- Includes an accompanying website containing a complete list of acronyms related to LTE and LTE-Advanced, with a brief description of each (http://www.wiley.com/go/sesia_theumts)
This book is an invaluable reference for all research and development engineers involved in implementation of LTE or LTE-Advanced, as well as graduate and PhD students in wireless communications. Network operators, service providers and R&D managers will also find this book insightful.