We ordered this mattress last week, it was shipped from Commerce City, Colorado, to us here in Wichita, KS in two days (the ordering is what took so long, but the shipping was quick Thursday showed shipped and Friday it arrived).
Published on March 23, 2012 by Catholic Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed but I don't regret the purchase.
Ok. So I have had this a couple weeks so far. I am honestly telling you how I feel about it and if anything changes then I will update the review.

Published on April 23, 2012 by AccioFirebolt

5.0 out of 5 stars reserved but pleased so far! purchased March 2012. Now 8/2013, March 23, 2012
The box is huge! It was very heavy even for my hunky husband. The box was very damaged obviously. With something this large and heavy, it can't be avoided at all. However, it was obvious the mattress was well wrapped and just fine upon arrival. It was marked KING and LUCID all over the box and was obvious that it was the correct item.
It had been raining here for the past week nonstop and I was worried if I wasn't home when it arrived that it would get soaked. However it was wrapped sooo well in plastic, I know I wouldn't have had anything to worry about. The UPS man heaved it into my garage for me on a dolly. It arrived in the morning around 1030 am (and it wasn't raining at that time).
DH took the mattress box all the way to the bedroom, it was easier to do that than take the mattress out. It had two nylon straps he was able to grab to pull it. He put the mattress roll on the bed and popped the plastic it began to expand quickly. You could smell the "new paint" smell but it definitely was not overwhelming by any means. We had readied the windows and fan, but it wasn't necessary. The plastic wrap held the paint smell in so I know that it was sealed well. To me it just smelled new and after about a half hour you had to put your nose on the mattress to smell that "paint" smell at all.
It was expanded almost to 14 inches tonight around 10 pm. The last few inches are taking the longest. But right away the mattress was expanded to about 8 to 10 inches (with in about 5 to 10 mins). It expands at different rates so one side of the bed was higher than the other at first, but it's evened out just fine.
We had the mattress turned wrong as in upside down, as you want the plain cashmere side to be down, and the fancy stitched side that says, "cashmere" and "Lucid" stitched all over it upwards to the ceiling. ALSO, we had the foot and head sideways on the bed too, so it had to be turned one more direction to sit right on the bed. But you can figure all that out pretty quickly...lol Do it before it expands too much, it's much easier obviously.
I put sheets on it and am sleeping on it tonight as I have no choice really, but I think in the morning it should be close to 14 inches. I have pictures and hopefully the video which you will be able to see.
I do believe if you want to seriously consider memory foam this is a good way to go, I dont know about it's longevity yet. But the foam base it the largest out there- I looked at every single memory foam mattress that is being manufactured and that's not a joke. You need a big dense foam base for these beds. Also if you want to go the Tempurpedic route as far as denisty 5 lb density or 7 pound density, this is comparible. We laid on the Tempurpedic beds in the store and compared their composition to this bed. I might get a 6 lb 2 inch memory foam topper for it as I prefer it to be really firm. The Allura is 7 lbs and 5 lbs memory foam, the closest topper I could find was 6 pounds. It costs about $500 too. So even with this mattress and that mattress topper, I am still WAAAAAY under the cost of the Allura Tempurpedic which is almost $5000!
We also tried all the other major name brands of memory foam. The other companies like Serta, or Sleep Innovations really don't compare. Their densities are much lower and the bases much shorter and in my opinion too small. I even looked at Bed in a Box (although a good company), their beds don't boast a higher density foam, and dont' have a deeper base, I believe they use 3 pounds or less for their memory foam. The Dynasty mattresses are a better buy here on Amazon if you are considering one of those. Just look at how the mattress is made and see for yourself. I called Dynasty and spoke to a very nice man and he answered all my questions as well. They go 1.5" on their 20 year warranty.
Most companies I found don't list the density of their foam bases, so that's the only unknown. I couldn't even find that with Tempurpedic's mattresses. I think minimum for two regular sized adults (my husband 6 foot and 210) and I am 5'6 and pregnant (no need to go there) that 12 inches minimum is what you need. Anything else would not be adequate from what I read.
I have been through 2 mattress on warranties in 4 years- from a different company and store (NOT THIS MATTRESS), so I am super paranoid. We aren't even trying to go warranty this last mattress as we don't even want to deal with it. The first time we did the warranty process was easy and we had it done with in a week, but it's just the trouble of hauling it around and taking pictures and being pregnant, I just dont have the energy. I just want a good nights sleep ;)
So basically if you want a good memory foam, compare heights, densities and bases. Go from there. I am crossing my fingers that this thing will hold up through the years. I will try to update and answer questions if I remember. I really appreciated the folks who already wrote detailed reviews and one guy even put up a video on another LUCID I think.
Oh and the warranty card was stuck right there to the mattress. It states the typical 1.5" sag, but there are no other stipulations about the 20 year warranty. Bed in a box is 1.25" and Tempurpedic is .75". So although they have LinenSpa beat there I still went with this mattress. I even called LinenSpa during regular business hours and someone answered the phone and answered my questions.
Be back soon with more info. I really do hope this helps someone else out, even if you don't buy this brand, at least maybe it will educate you a little. Check Sleeplikethedead.com for info too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed comparison, June 15, 2012
This review is from: LUCID® 14" Firm Memory Foam Mattress - 5.3 Pound Density Ventilated Memory Foam - 100% CertiPUR-US Certified Foam - 25-Year Warranty - QUEEN
I researched and researched memory foam mattresses. I read about foam densities, I read about response times. I read reviews and saw most were great; few were horrid. I compared and compared. This is what I got, all at the same time:

14" Lucid 5.3 lb firm cashmere
12" Lucid bamboo
13" SpaSensations Channel Quilted

The 12" Lucid was like sleeping on dough. Initially quite cushy, but just didn't have the support. The 14" Lucid was fantastic. The 13" SpaSensation was a complete and utter failure - it didn't even expand properly and felt like I had just bought an old, regular bed with a hole in the middle. Our family of 4 tried all of them. It was quite the experiment!

I love the Lucid 14" and am buying more of them for our family. We range from 130-250 lbs and are side/back/belly sleepers. We like firm support but a nice cushy feel. It's important to have a memory foam foundation, though. Either the Malouf Structures foundation or a wood box frame (no coils! just wood) work best.

There you have it. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quality mattress that I have seen for this price...period!, February 10, 2012
I was super sckeptical about buying this mattress. I have been shopping for a new mattress for about a month now. I have been sleeping on a pillow top Denver mattress for the last eight years or so. It was a great mattress but it was time for a new one.

I read reviews on the LUCID as well as Sealy's version and of course...the Temupurpedic. For the most part everyone had basically the same experience. Some people complained about getting hot. Some people said it was too hard. Some people said it was too soft.

Here is what I have learned. I think it boils down to preference. If you wanna test this mattress out, go down to your local mattress store and take a spin on the Tempurpedic that costs four times as much. I honestly don't think that I can tell the difference. If you like the Tempurpedic, buy this mattress. You'll save a couple grand and sleep very well.

The mattress is heavy...know that. Moving, unpacking and setting up this mattress is a two person job.

Many people talk about a "chemical" smell when first unwrapping. It's there. No doubt. That said, I set mine up, opened the windows and closed my bedroom door to let it air out for the afternoon. I came back home and it was good to go.

This mattress is going to be a VERY different sleep experience from a traditional mattress. That said, I have had mine for a couple nights now and it has been the best two nights of sleep that I have had in a long time. I'll never go back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced a fancy-pants spring mattress, May 24, 2012
Ordered this one yesterday after reading about a dozen other memory foam beds available on Amazon. Was initially skeptical as any buy should be when ordering an object that is used for everyday comfort and health...

The bed arrived with minor scuffs on the cardboard but nothing that penetrated the plastic surrounding the mattress itself. It was pretty heavy - so much that the FedEx guy asked me to help him carry it to the door (he did offer to carry it into the bedroom but I figured he's busy enough).
Once again, it's pretty heavy even when it's rolled up like an over sized cake roll - you probably want some help to get it setup for maximum ease or have a practical knowledge of physics.

I tossed it on the box spring that used to hold our spring style mattress, opened up the plastic on one side, and slid the plastic off the other end without any problems. It immediately began decompressing. After approximately 5 hours it was almost pretty huge and my wife and I gave it a test run. I thought it was great! Our other mattress was a thick pillow-top that had suffered from having a valley in its center from extensive use. This mattress provided enough support to take pressure off of my back yet it was soft enough to feel well-cushioned.

Oh, the smell. It's only been airing out for approximately five hours now but I hardly notice it - the wife says it smells like a chemical womb... we'll probably be sleeping in the guest bed tonight just so it can have more time to air out. The card that comes with the mattress states that you're supposed to give it 48 hours to expand and air out which seems reasonable.

I'll give it an update after we had a night's sleep on it but I almost fell asleep on it during the test run...

so far - great! I don't believe you can find a mattress for this price unless it fell off a truck and a hobo was selling it for booze.

**Update 5/29/2012

Slept a full night on this bed two nights in a row. If you've purchased this bed and find that it's too firm, try removing any fitted sheets or top sheets that you may have usually slept with and just sleep directly on the mattress cover. The cover itself is very comfortable and appears to help the mattress form better to your body. The fitted sheets I had for our previous mattress were pretty snug when I attempted to utilize them on this mattress and caused the mattress to not conform to your body as well.

We both slept great the past two nights! Before the troubles with our current mattress, I generally only slept 5-6 hours a night and felt well-rested. When the troubles slowly began, I was increasingly sleeping 8-10 hours (of broken sleep) and still feeling groggy in the morning. That's pretty much gone now - slept a very good 6 hours of unbroken sleep and woke up refreshed and invigorated. So much so that I had to write this review almost immediately after taking the garbage and recycling out to the curb ;)

Would highly recommend so long as you give the mattress its recommended 48 hours to expand and 'fumigate' in a well ventilated room.

**Update 02/21/2013

Still loving it. The quality of the mattress hasn't diminished at all. Doesn't cause pressure pain on any part of the body. No noticeable sag. The mattress cover is still soft and enjoyable to sleep directly on. My wife finds it to be more firm than she'd like but when she spends a night on the older fancy soft spring mattress, she comes back to this one because her hips hurt from sleeping on springs -- I have my share of upper back problems and the LUCID mattress helps to not further aggravate them.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed but I don't regret the purchase., April 23, 2012

So. I ordered the full size. It came in a very long box but it was packaged well. Very heavy. The FedEx man told me it weighed 75lbs so he put it inside the door for me. I was able to roll this awkwardly end over end to my bedroom by myself. However, I would for sure not try to move this on your own. It is a two person job. I was able to do it but I paid dearly for it because I have a bad wrist.

Anyway. It is rolled up like a burrito. There is thick plastic rolled around the mattress and then the mattress itself is in its own vacuum sealed plastic. Be very careful when you cut the plastic because you could easily nick the mattress. Once the plastic is cut from the outside, you have to cut the vacuum sealed part next. This is also a 2 person job because you have to cut the one side then flip it and cut the other side to get it completely uncovered. I also did this myself but, like I said, I don't recommend it. Also, I'd use scissors and not a box cutter. Scissors makes it easier to not nick the mattress by pointing the scissors upward as you cut.

Immediately, I would say it expanded to 60% its full size. Like everyone else has stated, it is very good quality. The price is unbeatable and I don't think you could get better quality even if you paid 2-3x more for a name brand. The cover that comes with it is nice quality, too. Very thin but good quality. I wish they would also include like a plastic cover for it to protect the mattress better or even just add a plastic coating to the included cover. I didn't deduct stars for this because most mattresses don't include a free cover. None that I've bought.

I let it expand for the full 2 days suggested. I slept on my couch. It does expand to a full 15 inches. Usually mattresses or futon mattresses never expand to the size that is claimed before you buy it.

Someone else said it feels too stiff or is like laying on a brick. It was like that for the first couple days but now it has softened and is more flexible than it was initially. It is very firm, though, so don't buy this is you are wanting a pillowy soft mattress.

One of the things I'm deducting points for is because it has developed an indentation where I normally sleep. I could understand if I had had it for months but I think it's too soon to have an indentation. I am fat lol but still it should fill itself out better. That's why I paid extra for the 15" instead of the 9" but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Another thing, it seems to hold heat and cold more than a regular mattress. If it's warm, the mattress absorbs the heat and I get hot because of that. When it's cold, the mattress stays cold even if I've been lying on it for awhile. When it's cold, the mattress is firmer. When it's hot, it seems to be more cushiony. So it is inconsistent in that regard. Normally if it's really cold and you lay in bed for awhile, your body heat warms up the mattress. This doesn't happen on this memory foam.

It has helped my back pain a little but not as much as it has for other reviewers. I actually slept on an air mattress for the month before I bought this and the air mattress was more comfortable than this mattress is which is disappointing.

So. Great quality. It reaches the thickness that it is supposed to. But still I'm disappointed. Due to all the other rave reviews, I expected more. I don't regret the purchase but it is just average for me. Maybe after some more time it will work the problems out.

If you have never slept on memory foam, don't buy this. You need to know what you're getting. Go to a local store and just test out a memory foam and see if you like it. Don't just blindly make the purchase like I did. If you like memory foam already, then I don't think the quality or price can be beat. But customers need to understand that memory foam is not soft and cushiony like pillow-tops.

More than anything, it feels like you are lying in sand. If you've ever been to the beach you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and it is basically true to size length wise. Width wise there may be an inch wider than most fulls. This is the bed I use and I would recommend it if you want something light and simple. I wrote a review for the bed, too:

Structures by Malouf HIGHRISE Folding Metal Bed Frame 14" High Bi-Fold Platform Bed Base, FULL

5.0 out of 5 stars Tempur who?, March 15, 2012
Well I will get straight to the point. This bed is Great. I am still getting used to it, but it's still better than my old pillow top. for the price you cant even tell its not that big name brand. and with your own sheets on it, nobody else can tell either. the first thing we did was wait the recomended 48 hours to let it expand. it was at 13.5 inches in just a few hours, but we decided to follow the directions. we took the cashmere cover off and let the bed air out while we washed the cover. there is a smell its not horrible, but it is there. and it's still there now after one week. hopefully it will go away at some point. I pushed my hand into the bed and it left a perfect implant just like the tempur***** commercial. when you lay on the bed you kind of sink into it. but it is firm and supportive. best of both worlds I guess. if you want a memory foam bed and dont want to spend thousands of dollar$..... get this one.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier, February 18, 2012
I did my research on several of the memory foam mattress and this was the least expensive and I love it! I had it the next day and slept on it the same night and had a great night sleep. A lot of people wrote about the smell, I did not notice anything at all, not even when we took it out the package. I have slept on a tempupedic before and this is by far better! Love that it has a cover that I am able to unzip and wash. This mattress is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars We read the reviews, now for mine...great deal for the money, May 8, 2012
We also were reluctant to purchase a mattress online like several reviewers here. We "tried out" many memory foam mattresses at local stores: Temperpedic Cloud (nice, but WAAAAAAAY over priced), I-Comfort (Sealy or Serta?? can't remember, nice but still too much $$$$$), and Original Mattress Factory (not bad for a new product line, but still too expensive). Some of the negative reviewers wonder "what we're smoking" to give this product a good review. Not smoking anything and sleeping great. Saved enough money to redecorate our bedroom as we moved up from a Queen to a King, so all new linens, etc.. for us.

Yes, there is a bit of a smell or odor, but not any more than the typical foam mattress toppers you can buy at Walmart. After a week or so it wasn't noticeable at all. I guess it's all in personal preferences and what you make of it. Yes, it's a bit on the "firm" side, so if you need more cushy-cushy, maybe this isn't for you. I waited 2 weeks before writing this so we could honestly give our opinion. We thought it might be too hard, but it is fine for us. Again, personal preference.

Having a husband that is extremely handy, he made a platform for the mattress himself, saving us more. But that is just because he likes to do that kind of thing and he's good at it. Lucky me.

So, yes, we purchased this memory foam mattress based on the reviews, and I'm so glad we did. Thank you Amazon for the free shipping.

I hope this helps someone who is considering taking the risk to buy a mattress online. Happy sleeping!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 22, 2012
After laying on a lot of mattresses and doing a lot of research this seemed to be the best mattress in our price range. It is not as soft as most but definately not as firm as the tempurpedic rhapsody. I also question whether the top layer is really memory foam or 5.3lb density. It springs back almost as quick as you can move your hand (not like memory foam elsewhere or like the memory foam on the second layer of this bed). My wife's back and neck pain seem to have been helped so far (first week) but I seem to wake up more than before. The matress cover feels great and we like the higher bed. You sink enough into this bed that if you're close to each other you will role into a common canyon (like an air mattress). We are happy our sheets still fit (though not as well) and are using our old box spring as a base (tag says not to use a foundation-but emailed them and they said any support surface is fine).

It is now 3 months later and there is probably almost an inch sag where my wife lays (260lbs). For a mattress that has a 20 year warranty this level of sagging in 3 months proves what I suspected early on-this is not 5lb density foam. My rating has now moved from 3 stars to 1. Stay away!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great deal!, February 24, 2012
Order shipped the same day. Upon arrival, opened up the packaging and the mattress expanded to just under 14" in about 5 hours. (It was cold here when delivered). The dimensions are within 1/2" of correct size, so no problems there. Yes, there is a smell, and if you are hyper sensitive to every smell it might bother you. For me, it was just another "new item" smell that wore off in a couple days. I will refrain from saying the mattress is soft or hard since everyone's opinion is different on that. The bed is very comfortable, very supportive, and not overly warm (though warmer than our previous pillowtop innercoil mattress). The specs are not published but I would guess the top layer has an ILD of about 14. (takes 14 lbs over 50in2 to compress the top layer 25%) The feel is similar to the tempur rhapsody. The cover does not fit perfectly, but is not bad either. It is a bit loose which is better than too tight I would guess. The cover does have a nice feel. For the price, this is a great deal so long as it lasts a few years. If you haven't slept on a memory foam mattress before, give it some time. It is a different feel. Make sure you have appropriate pillows as well and enjoy the restful dreams of having such a great bed for such a great price.

Rate and Discover Movies