5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID! But is it too late?
Published on November 20, 2000 by TigerPomme

3.0 out of 5 stars great game and great series,but a couple of questions
The Game was great and I heard from a friend with interests similiar to mine that the first one was great. However like him I dont think it was a very good idea to get rid of Alex's magic ability, or to remove all of the obstacles in his path, like for instance the bridge. We both believe that these are important to how a game is played and enjoyed. Overall though despite...
Published on November 18, 2001 by James R. Harris, Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID! But is it too late?, November 20, 2000
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
That's right, this game is absolutely solid! I'll readily admit that I belong to the old school RPG players who strongly believe that the garbage that many companies try to give us is just that, garbage. It must be understood that the PSX version is actually a rehash of the SEGA CD (which I'm proud to own) with a more animations and extra video this game does shine . . . if reviewed on it's own.
Needless to say, I was very surprised that Working Designs decided to go ahead and release an aging game on a near dead system (never mind the recent release of the Playstation 2). And yes, despite popular opinion, this game is NOT NEW. Because of it's age and the ultra "cool" eye candy that more recent RPG games have to offer, this game will most assuredly, once again, become a cult classic.
Unlike many games, this game actually has a history. Every one knows that the SEGA CD was a major failure in terms of sales. But what most people don't realize is that the original Lunar was a raging success. Several hundred thousand SEGA CD's have been sold in Japan, while the same number plus 50,000 Lunar games have been sold. The same holds true in the US as well. What that means is that every single person who bought a SEGA CD also has one or more copies of the game. Lunar 2 wasn't quite as successful but still managed to hit the 1:1 ratio of owners. And I'm sure that many people, including myself, bought the SEGA CD ... based solely on owning the Lunar games.
So why buy the PSX version of the games? Easy, despite the fact that the game is based on traditional sprite based characters, the game actually has a STORY. One of the things that game companies today are suffering from is the attempt to create a game with so much eye candy with 3D polygon graphics, Pre-rendered backgrounds, and special effects that the story literally disappears. Worse still, is that some games attempt to make up for this by adding so much dialog that even an "auto fire" feature on controllers wouldn't get through it all before you return from a trip to the store with a new game. However, Lunar is perfect. The story unfolds at a perfect pace, not too slow and not too fast. Video is a reward and not used as "filler" to help the story along. the only thing that could cripple this game is the lack of 3D polygons or full use of SGI pre-rendered backgrounds. But with a story like Lunar's, who needs the eye candy?
So I guess we get to the story. One thousand years after Lunar: Silver Star takes place. Evil has crept across the land again (Or has it? Is there a plot twist there?), now it is up to Hiro and Ruby to help a young girl to contact Athena (Who actually appears in the first game as well under a different name. Now really! I can't spoil that plot twist for you, can I?) to help rid the land of the evil Zophar. In their many adventures (or would that be misadventures?) your band of character meets and joins up with a myriad of characters including Lucia, who is innocent to the things around her. Lemina, who is pretty much a selfish, greedy brat who wields powerful magic. Jean, who is a beautiful dancer who has a deadly battle tactic. Ronfar, who is pretty much a .... (Pay attention to his innuendoes) and Nall, who . . . um . . whoops, Ha ha. Another branching plot line.
With twice as many plot twists as the original the game certainly feels very long. And with good reason. Play through the first time. And the game let's you think you "beat" it. Reload the saved file and you have to play through again, backwards (more or less)! This game is lovable and a classic. The entire series harbors many secrets both in game and real world. Do the research and you'll be surprised. I was.
I would not be very surprised if this game fails. I've shown this game to people who never played the original and all I got was a "ho hum" response. When I showed the same person the garbage that other companies put out with zero story and tons of eye candy they instantly want to borrow the game. Trust me, buy or at least rent the game. The sprite based characters won't be fantastic but you'll like the story as it unfolds. You'll be surprised.
Tigerpomme

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best RPG stories ever told., April 9, 2001
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
The story of Eternal Blue is pure classic. It's the simple story of a brash adventurer who falls for an enigmatic girl with a mission. Quite simple, but monolithic nonetheless. Unlike many current RPGs, the simple charm of the love story is not buried under reams of dross. Yes, an epic adventure unfolds, but Eternal Blue never loses sight of its greatest strengths: its characters, simple romance, and a sense of lighthearted adventure. Working Designs knows what they are doing: their script is witty and proficient, underscoring unique personalities and heightening the emotional impact of any given scene. The villains are more interesting this time around, the plot hardly ever runs off track, and there's a few plot twists you'll never expect.
For those who didn't experience this wonderful story in the Sega CD days, you owe it to yourself to play it through. It ranks among the greatest stories ever, and in many ways is surpasses the original telling (which had too much humor for its own good).
The graphics are very 16-bit, so the game lacks graphical titillation. (The FMV is gorgeous, though.) The gameplay, likewise, is archaic, and actually a step down from the Sega CD original. The magic system, which was one of the greatest merits of the original, has been simplified to the point of mindlessness, which is ridiculous and dumb. Actually, the gameplay seems more tiring than I remembered, the dungeons being particularly exhausting. The game is a little tougher though, which creates a sense of urgency not often associated with many RPGs these days.
While the gameplay hasn't aged well, the story is as timeless as they come, and that makes the game worth playing.
All the extras are a nice treat as well. I personally found the "Making Of Lunar 2" CD very interesting, and while I have no use for the amulet or the character standees, they are nice bonuses. The map is a nifty keepsake, and the full soundtrack is great. I don't listen to the soundtrack, because I don't really enjoy the Lunar music outside the context of the game, but I appreciate the gesture, and there are still several good tunes included (Lemina's theme is fookin' catchy). Hopefully other publishers will include soundtracks with their games in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragonmaster Viper Review, June 9, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
I must say Working Designs has done it again! Lunar 2 is definitely a classic game that no household should do without. I've played Lunar SSS Complete and that game was a definite masterpiece. The storyline was excellent, the characters were well drawn, the music soundtrack of the game was brilliant, and most importantly the game play itself was top notch. Working Designs does excellent RPG games. The packaging of the game was a great idea and the artwork of the casing was really cool. I must say Lunar 2 is a must have type game. For those thats played Lunar SSS...your gonna love this game just as much as you loved the previous title. For those that hasn't played Lunar SSS...your in for a good treat. I personally recommend this game to everyone. I feel this game will blow away the minds of those who don't even like RPGs. Congradulations Working Designs...you've done it again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Less random fighting, more of the engaging story, January 16, 2001
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
I'm going to start off with my only real complaint about this game, namely the leveling up factor, where you have to fight untold monsters, one after another, to build up your levels so you don't get your head handed to you too badly in the boss fights. I spent two hours minimum in most dungeons, woods, etc. fighting monsters at about evey ten steps my character took just to get strong enough not to get destroyed by the bosses, and even then, most of the time it was a close thing. This was an annoyance to the extreme, and knocked one star off my rating of this otherwise well done game. It's an exercise in futility having to leave an area to heal yourself when you're almost dead just to come back and have to fight the same monsters over again just to try to get powerful enough, I just don't understand the thinking behind it.
Graphics wise, especially the cut scenes that drive the story, the game was really done well. A lot of people think technology means everything has to always be better, and only want games with lots of eye candy. Myself, I don't think every game needs to set a new standard in technology, completely rewriting the book. In fact, I like the 2d type effect of looking down at the characters, and the little side pictures of them they bring up when a character is talking in game. One of my favorites of this type of genre was Magic Knight: Rayearth for the Sega Saturn. I even like to dig out my nintendo once in a while to play some of them games. If a game is done well, and draws me into its story, or entertains me, it doesn't have to be wrapped up in pretty bows. In fact, most pretty bows are hiding some of the most awful games made, they just disguise the fact that there's nothing to them.
The story in Lunar 2 is that Lucia, a girl from the Blue Star, has come to Lunar on a special mission. She was supposed to sleep until the Blue Star was ready for habitation, and then move the people from Lunar to the Blue Star to live. However, she is woken early, to discover that Zophar, an evil being of nearly infinite power, is plotting a return, and plans to take over Lunar. Joining up with Hiro, the hero of the game, she sets out to find Althena, the goddess of the Blue Star, to join forces with her to stop Zophar. This is the main line of the story, but there are many other threads involved as Hiro meets up with other people, and they join his party. Each of these characters have their own motivations, stories to tell, and problems to work out, adding to the fun, and to the overall mission.
The voice overs were all done very well, although the ones for Zophar and Ghaleon sometimes go a little over the top. Other than them, the rest fit their characters very well, and I didn't have any complaints along those lines.
The interesting thing is that the end of the game isn't actually the end of the game. After beating Zophar and heading home, and saving the game, there is still more that you can do. You get your band back together, pick up a Rememberizer after helping another character, and can then unlock all the movie segments you saw during the course of the game by visiting the areas where the movies took place. Plus, finishing the game opens up a few areas you previously weren't able to get to, to fight your way through and acquire a few more items necessary to get to the actual end of the game. So, for those of you who are ready to breathe a sigh of relief once you make that epilogue save, there's still more work to be done, fights to get through, and a final ending to see, a little more satisfying than the one you've already viewed. I hope you get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget graphics, this game doesn't need it, December 26, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
let me start off by saying just cause you don't like some of the new games doesn't mean it's cause they're new and you are old fashioned. I loved FFVII (in fact Lunar 1 is the only game I've played that has had me as intrigued as FFVII, and FFVII was what really introduced me to the genre), FFVIII had nothing in the stoyrline that was interesting to me (big disappointment with that game for me), and Vagrant Story would have been awesome if they hadn't overcomplicated the weapons system making the game eventually just too frustrating to complete (which really annoys me cause the story was great and other than the weapon system the gameplay was good too).
To me the most important aspects of the game are a storyline that intrigues you and gameplay that you can start the game and figure out without too much problem yet still is mentally challenging (I prefer mentally challenging to how well timed you can hit a butten which seems to be what Squaresoft is moving to, though that can add to the fun). Anyways, keeping this in mind (if you agree with me, useful review, if not, then it's not), I think Lunar 2 is a great game. you don't even have to read the manual to start the game yet there is a lot of strategy in even the get through the dungeon battles. The storyline is well told out and I enjoy that you can talk to the townspeople and get a full detail of the story, get stuff you wouldn't otherwise, yet you can just get the basic story by walking through. But you really have to interact to get the full story, and I like that (basically the story isn't juts told by the events that the storyline has you go through, it's told by the people you talk to along the way if you bother talking to them). I also know the twist in the storyline (or at least one big one), and I like how they dealt with it. I can't say why or I'd give it away. I also like that it is based on a past game and it alludes to this throughout the story. Anyways, my .02 cents but I wouldn't just not give it a chance cause it's the old fashioned rpg game type, it has plenty to offer I think even for those who just like the new style. Then there's people like me who likes aspects of both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sick old school, September 18, 2000
Amazon Customer "stswepr187" (San Carlos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
I had this game way back in the day on the Sega CD Rom. I did like the first one better, but this is one sick game. The story is more in depth than the first one, and the characters backgrounds are much more developed. This is one of the best RPG's ever made and I think it blows Final Fantasy 8 away and is almost as good as ff7. This game is well worth the money because I have beat this game several times and I still have fun doing it, and I usually hate going through a game the second time.

5.0 out of 5 stars RPG perfection, December 23, 2000
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
Even after six years since it's initial release, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete still ranks as one of the best and most beautiful games ever created. Although the storyline bay seem a bit common (like in most games of it's genre, Game Arts/Studio Alex has done a magnificent job in recreating it, making it (the storyline) totally fresh and with a new feel.
Some people may critizise the fact that the graphics have a 16-bit look to them, but in Lunar 2, this does not matter. The graphics are still of great quality and, at times, better than 3D graphics. Concerning audio, Lunar 2 has the best music ever to grace a console. Noriyuki Iwadare has done an excellent job creating music that trully makes the game come alive. In most aspects, it even surpasses Lunar Silver Star Story in quality and feel. Thankfully, a good percentage (I would say 95%) of the music is the same as in the original Sega CD version, most of then are exactly the same, while others have been re-arranged.
But Lunar 2 has it's flaws too. In fact, the original Sega CD version is much more superior in gameplay than the PS version. How you may ask? For one, the map section has been re-constructed in such a way that makes the game easier (in some parts) than the original (Since when the Blue Spire was located next to Hiro's house! And where are the enemies that usually attack in the map screen, like the original version?), and some of the sound effects have been taken out. Another aspect that was of some (very little) disapointment is the fact that, in the Sega CD version, enemy bosses that were difficult were made easier here, and vice-versa. Also another thing that was taken out was the use of "magic experience points" that was present in the Sega CD version, which would allow the player to use such experience to either "upgrade" or obtain new spells, and to also "save" your game. In the PS version, the character automatically obtains them when they increase in levels. Even though this made the original version much harder, it made the game more interesting. Also some spells have been removed (like Ronfar's "Herbal Sleep" spell) or jsut renames (like Jean's "Haduken" to "Blue Dragon Punch". Finally, the menu system has been simplified in the PS version, thus eliminating some options that where found in the Sega CD version which made the game a bit more easier (like Ruby's ability to store items).
Nevertheless, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete is one of the best RPG's ever made, and in my opinion, the best game ever. Even though some of you may think that Final Fantasy VII and VIII may be the best, the truth is that, even though these games may be the best, they just don't have the appeal, beauty and love Lunar 2 has. Even without all those nifty extras that are included with the game, Lunar 2 is well worth the money, and in a way, it is a bargain for the price. This proves that old RPG's are still the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, October 14, 2000
"thegame222" (Los Banos, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
Im probably one of the 10 people in America who owned the Sega CD along with Lunar and Lunar 2. I absolutely love these games. I have beaten the Original Lunar like a million times. Eternal Blue not as much beacuse it is MUCH longer but not any less fun. The story is way more in depth then the original and has many more twists and turns. It brings back a couple familiar faces as well although its set like 100 years from the original and I would have liked to see Hiro (the main "Hero") become a Dragonmaster...but aside from that little story dissapointment it is awesome and worth EVERY penny. With all the extras im buying it day it comes out =).

5.0 out of 5 stars ~~!dazzled..., July 15, 2002
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
I was completely dazzled by this game. None of my friends could understand how I could play this game when better-looking ones are out on the market... This is what I told them--"It is not how good the game looks, but rather in the quality of the gameplay."This is never truer than with this game. Its in-game graphics stink(some of the CG graphics rock!), but that is not enough to stop me from playing it! The story line just blew me away... not that it was overly complex like other games out there... it was just really well told and integrated into a game format. Playing Lunar 2: Eternal Blue is like reading a really good fantasy and romance novel. It stirs the heart just thinking about it...
The game tells the story of the developing love between a young hero, Hiro, and a princess from another planet, Lucia. Hiro offers to help Lucia find the goddess, Althena. Over their quest they gather many friends and allies and together they overcome many difficult problems. In this regard it is just like other game except the fact that it has a great storybook quality to it! The story just draws you further in the longer you play, until you just don't want to stop playing!
The game contains over an hour of CG/anime sequences. These are really well done, except for some small visual glitches that must have happened due to the expanding resoulution. You can watch this over and over again once you hit the Epilogue of the game! Epilogue is another fun feature in the game that they let you countinue the story of Hiro and Lucia after they save the world from Zophar! They allow you to wander the world looking for new artifacts, and even give you entry to several new levels! I found this last part really challenging, and therefore interesting, to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! My favorite Game!, February 7, 2001
Drew Cohen (Long Island, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue (Video Game)
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue is the sequal to the classic role playing game Lunar:Silver Star Story, and trust me, it does not dissapoint. This game has everything you could possiblly want in a game, and more! First of all, it has the most important thing a good RPG needs, a great story. It is filled with supsense, drama, action, and even romance at times. It also has maney plot changes (although predictable) which make the game even more exciting. The characters are wonderful, and at times you can really feel for them. What makes each main character especialy great is that each of them has their own subplot, which through out the game hleps your adventure progress. The game play is very easy to get used to, and plays like a classic RPG, which I think is nice, since it keeps everything simple. When you are in a place with no enemies, you can see all of your party members taging along with you, and when in a dungon, or an other place with enemies, Hiro (the main character) is the only person visble on screen until you enter a battle. The graphics, all though out dated, I think are fine, and suite the game very well. They are colorful, and each area, and dungon looks different from any other, unlike some games which use the same dungon design too often. The game also has wonderful cut animated scenes, which look great mixed in with the game, adds to the story, and helps you through your adventure.
The game's sound is quite nice. The music, of course is no Symphony, but still serves it's perpuse. This game also has spoken parts, at times, esspecially during and after cut scenes, and at inportant parts. The sound effects in the game are ok, and also serve their purpose.
The game istslef isn't too hard, if you play it the right way. In order to beat the tough bosses, and other bad guys, you should fight every enemy you see on screen. Trust me, the game is so fun that you will not mind fighting them all. I am not all that good at video games, but even I got through the game while following this stragedy. The game is also very long, which I think is nice. It took me around 18 hours to complete the first disc, around 20 for the second, and only 15 for the third. Taking me in total 53 hours that I enjoyed very much. Not only is that all that the game has to offer, it also comes in a colectors box with lots of stuff. It comes with a replica of Lucia's Pendent, 15 mini character standies, a map of Lunar, a omake box to store all of the things in, the game's sound track, the making of the game (which was awsome!), and my favorite, an over 100 page, hard cover, leather instruction book.
So stop reading this review, and get out there and buy the game now!

LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue
LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue by Sony (PlayStation)
$249.99