Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD - Black
Used & New from: $170.00
LX5 vs Canon S90 - can't decide I love my Nikon D60 but hate lugging it around while chasing our 2 yr old. I am thinking of getting a good point & shoot but can't decide between the two. I am not worried about the $150 difference since I will have this a long time. Wondering if the LX5 bigger size is worth it or are it's features overkill for someone who just likes to take nice family/travel pictures? Video is not a concern. Thanks!
[UPDATED] asked by M. K. on August 8, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 answers
A
votes
@GS:

Please review stated information again. As stated on panasonic website: "4.32 x 2.58 x 1.69 inch / excluding protrusions: 1.00 inch". In other words, the body is 1" thick and the lens adds another .69" for a total of 1.69". The endview in Amazon's photos verifies this.
J. Robertson answered on August 23, 2010

A
votes
Camera reviewed here: >>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072110panasonicdmclx5.asp
You may wish you had video of your two year old. If you use a MAC the LX5 works seamlessly with iPhoto
John H Grambo answered on August 10, 2010

A
votes
B. Yes of course you can turn down the exposure compensation etc, and I did where I could. Also shot raw as well. I took a lot of pictures with the S90 with exposure compensation turned down -0.3,-0.7 but I still saw blown highlights, and then often parts of faces or clothes were too dark etc..in rather bright sunshine. Don't get me wrong the S90 is an AWESOME camera..and SMALL. But I have found other smallish cameras that seem to handle overall dynamic range a bit better..like the Samsung TL500. I only brought up the TL500 as a third possible choice. Agreed Samsung started years behind Canon in making cameras..but check out some pro reviews of that cam. Funny..I THINK the TL500 uses the EXACT same Sony Sensor as the S90 but somehow to me it's overall IQ and REALISTIC colors are better especially Skin Tones. I look rather pink-ish in many of the S90 pics I took...and yes I adjusted for white balance etc..where necessary.
Radio Man answered on September 4, 2010

A
vote
I think I am going to opt for the S95, but the DMC-LX5 has just a tad better specs (longer batter life, closer focusing, more frames-per-second, broader range of shutter speed), but the S90 just looks so much better and the front user-defined adjustment ring may just be enough -- all at a lower price.
Puck answered on August 19, 2010

A
votes
The size of the lx5 is a deal breaker for me, I just sold my g11 because it was too big to fit in my pockets and I would never bring it anywhere. Though I love the look of the lx5(the s95 looks so cheap and consumer-y) and wanted to give another brand a try, the s95 seems like the smallest camera with a decent sized sensor, there really aren't any other options.
S. Morris answered on August 25, 2010

A
vote
Wow, this is a close call, S95 vs. LX5. Your right about the tads. I'm under the impression that the LX5 might work a little better for a MAC user, it's built in software works with iPhoto, iMove & QuickTime. Also, I kind of like the retro-russian look of the LX5.
John H Grambo answered on August 19, 2010

A
votes
LX5 and S95 have same zoom ratio of 3.8x, but the LX5's 24mm wide end is a big advantage. At the tele end, you can usually more in closer to fill the frame, but when you are in a small space, nothing substitutes for a wider angle. And it focuses to within a cm of the lens.
Blue 911 answered on September 11, 2010

A
votes
S95 vs LX5. Not even close. With the LX5 you get far more than your money's worth. It's all about the lens and quality of design and build. The lens wears its name proudly. Images are incredible. Isn't that the bottom line? Don't buy into the ad hype about the camera fitting into your pocket.
Christopher answered on January 16, 2011

A
votes
I second the TL500. I've owned the S90, LX3, and LX5. The LX3 & LX5 have color & WB issues (they don't even have a florescent WB setting). The S90 was great except for the previously mentioned blown highlights & 28mm. All these cameras look great on their own, but if you can compare them to a good DSLR and you'll see all their strengths and weaknesses. Good luck.
Lavell Jacobs answered on September 27, 2010

A
votes
I have owned a Cannon S90 and now the Panasonic LX5. I found the S90 wasn't nearly as accurate with white balance and I also had to fiddle around with it too much to get a good pic in some situations. The LX5 while a little bigger is much easier to get a very good shot, meaning much less fiddling. And the updated 2.0 firmware makes it that much better. I'll take a little bigger size any day to get the ease of use and fantastic shots that I get with little effort. IMHO.
Jerry8159 answered on September 18, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›