5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, A Lightener For Brunettes!
Published on April 4, 2011 by Laura

3.0 out of 5 stars gradual
I had dyed "natural medium brown" hair prior to using this. I have used the product a total of 4 times over a 10 day period, and my hair is now a very light golden/coppery brown. It appears I have reached a plateau and my hair won't go any lighter, as the last two times I've used it I have not noticed a difference. It did dry the ends of my hair out considerably, so...
Published on July 12, 2011 by Evelyn Milano

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, A Lightener For Brunettes!, April 4, 2011
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I wasn't sure how well this gel would work, so I only applied it to select strands of damp hair first. I made sure to keep applying the gel to the same strands, and after only 2 days i noticed a difference! Now it's been a week (i applied almost every day, maybe 4 days out of 7) and there's a definite difference! You can apply this gel all over to lighten your hair, or on select strands for highlights. After only a few days, I have caramel strands in my DARK brown hair. (I have dark brown hair, almost black. This stuff WORKS.) It's amazing, and gorgeous, and my hair isn't damaged. Also, I didn't even sit out in the sun at all.

So if you are planning on lounging in the sun after putting in this gel, I'm sure you'll get the great results even faster! By the waym, I hear that Sun-In doesn't work for brunettes (turns hair red/orange), so all you girls with dark brown hair looking for some lightening- try this! I feel like it was a great deal. Also, the bottle is huge. It will last a good amount of time. And since the change is somewhat gradual (the more you put on the faster it will work, and i put globs of gel on the strands-which is why it began to show in only 2 days), you can feel in control of how dramatic/subtle the end result will be! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product that works wonderfully!, September 5, 2010
C. Moreno (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I have dark brown hair and in a week, it has gradually gotten lighter and lighter to a light brown with caramel highlights...I get compliments all the time and it doesn't look fake at all. Highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars LBLG: Where Have You Been All My Life?, March 10, 2011
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
Before purchasing, I checked as many online reviews as I could find to make sure this was a product that did what it said it would do AND not turn my hair any shade of orange.

I have naturally dark blonde hair now (from very light blonde as a child) that will lighten some under bright sunlight. After 23 years, I was tired of getting highlights (my hair grows fast), and wanted an easier and less expensive way to lighten my hair. I believe I have found the product I was looking for.

La Bella Lightning Gel does lift hair color gradually -- very gradually in my case, and that's okay. As I've gotten older, my hair is harder to lift into lighter shades of gold blonde, so I can end up with orange or reddish tones. Sun-In and all its versions can do this. The first generation of John Frieda's lightening products for blondes were pretty good, but they're probably never coming back, so I'll be using this gel from now on.

Plus sun exposure now lightens my hair a little more quickly that I've used this product. I hope LaBella continues to make it and amazon.com always will offer it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Solution!!!, April 19, 2011
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I never write reviews, but I am SO happy with this product! I no longer need to go to my hairdresser for color or highlights. I have dark blonde hair that only took 3 applications to get to golden blonde. After a shampoo, just put the gel in your hair (I work it into the roots with my fingers and hands and then comb out to the ends), and leave on to dry. No grease. No stiff hair. No mess. No rinsing! Inexpensive!! The bottle is big and will last a long time, but I'm ordering a spare now since summer is coming. This took no more effort than a leave-in conditioner and my hair is very healthy and shiny. This product is the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds Expectations!, January 20, 2011
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
Wow, I cannot believe how effective this product is! It literally works like a charm and lightens hair significantly even after only one day's use!

Now, the bottle specifically says that it is not intended for use on chemically treated hair. However, I did a strand test and it was fine. In fact, I had dyed my natural dark brown/soft black hair to a neutral light-ish brown color about 4 weeks prior to use. So a good 1/3 of an inch of roots were already showing.

Anyway, I applied a generous amount of gel after dampening my hair. It was about 75 degrees Fahrenheit outside--perfect for getting sunlight. I spent a total of 2-3 hours out in the sun while coming back inside every 30 minutes to wet my hair a little and add more La Bella Lightning gel. Miraculously, after I washed, shampooed, and dried my hair I noticed that my roots actually matched the color of the rest of my hair!

Honestly, I was stunned to see how much lighter my dark hair got in such a short time. Not to mention the fact that I'll never have to dye my hair again! This product is extremely satisfactory both in price and in quality. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants lighter hair without having to dye it!

5.0 out of 5 stars really really really works!, November 14, 2010
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I can't say enough good things. I had been a fan of John Freida's beach blonde and have been looking for years to find a replacement. This is it! It is a very true "day at the beach" lightener. It looks sunkissed - not orange, and each day you use it - just looks like you had a longer vacation! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a good price:), June 17, 2010
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I have medium blond hair, which you could call dirty blond. I used this product and it actually lighten my hair in more like golden blond which I am aiming to get. I do not want my hair to get more lighter and more platinum which I doubt it will lighten my hair like that, though. I am satisfied with color in my hair. I usually lighten my hair during summer. For the good price, it is a great product to get for any people who want to lighten their hair during season. I will continue purchasing it when I need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS!!!, July 5, 2011
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I have been using La Bella Lightning Gel for a little over a week now and the results are spectacular! I started with dirty blonde curly hair that was much closer to brunette than blonde (never color treated before). I saw a change in my hair color immediately after the first use, and as I kept going my hair got more and more golden. I've gotten a lot of compliments for my hair, and my boyfriend says that my hair is so much more blonde now that he doesn't immediately recognize me when he sees me. I would definitely recommend it!

I have to say that it does smell a little rancid in the hair (I confused the smell of my hair with the smell of someone's feet, so it's not a pleasant smell). I think the smell dissipates after a while (or maybe I got used to it), but it's not so strong that someone sitting next to you would smell it (only if they're directly sniffing your hair). That said, if you're willing to suffer through smelling not great for a while, I promise it's worth it. It's a nice gradual lightener, and I think being in the sun helps the effect along faster.

What is also nice about the gel is that it doesn't stick my hair together so much that it crunches to the touch. My hair still feels touchable and soft, but just in case, every time I was I make sure to use a lot of conditioner. The softness is, however, after my hair is already dry (when the gel is just put into wet hair, it feels really sticky). I should note also that you have to be careful to get the gel on your roots and evenly dispersed through the hair, because fixes unevenness or uneven roots is tough when the hair is significantly lightened (and the feel of globs of gel on your scalp isn't the most pleasant feeling, but when the gel dries it's not noticeable).

I haven't tried blowing out or straightening my hair with a straightening iron in terms of whether that speeds up the lightening, but my expectation is that it probably would. I'm not sure how much speeding up is really necessary though, because this gel works pretty fast.

In sum, I highly recommend it. If you're looking for a gentle but efficient hair lightener, this is it. It won't ruin your hair, but it will definitely brighten it! Cheers to getting golden blonde!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For When You Dyed Your Hair Black For Your Exhusband, June 8, 2011
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
When I was married I made the mistake of dying my hair jet black for my exhusband. For four years. I was afraid to bleach it because if I did that I could end up with a scary orange head for a while.

I'm really pale and I have very long hair.. about 22 1/2 inches long and incredibly thick. I was tired of being told I look like the girl from the grudge everytime I brushed my hair.

I decided to give La Bella a try as opposed to sun in - which I do plan to use later after it lightens. The process is very effective yet gradual. I have to say that I was quite impressed.

I have to say that I have only used this for two days, the ends of my hair that have been dyed continuously are having trouble fading but it mostly fades through so my hair is not blotchy. I actually like it. My hair has turned a dark auburn color already, and under my hair where I have not dyed has changed a light brown.

Keep in mind this is not to say that I look like a giraffe at all but rather like I had my hair done by a ridiculously over priced salonist streaking my hair. I did find while watching my hair the water had run a dark gray color. I assumed at first that the gel had just made my hair really dirty, but after drying my hair I found my hair to become even lighter, and I believe it was the hair dye leaving my hair like an exorcism. (Darkness... be gone..)

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I am back to buy more soon. The product works and it is wonderful. I plan on using my blow dryer to help lighten the hair more but I have yet to try this. I intend to update.

Until then my remedy for this was pile it on thick and nice after washing my hair, and I usually place it in a french braid because.. well it looks cute when I take it out the next morning and it's the only hair style I know. I also prefer to sleep on a towel or an old cloth because I am afraid that it will bleach the pillowcases.

Anyway, it's pretty sweet and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, February 4, 2012
This review is from: La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz. (Health and Beauty)
I've been using this for almost a year and still have nearly half of the bottle left.

It works perfectly on my medium brown hair and lets me lighten my hair slowly and with excellent precision. I did not want to go from my old hair color to highlighted over night (ie, I did not want everybody to know I was highlighting my hair) and this allowed that slow lightening to happen.

It has not damaged my hair at all. I use the same conditioner that I used before this. No additional split ends, or flyaway hairs. No difference in the texture of my hair at all. Just nice natural-looking highlights.

I got this because I really wanted to skip paying $80 for professional highlighting, and it has done that perfectly.

La Bella Lightning Gel 12 oz.
Out of stock