Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lacrosse Technology C86234 La Crosse Technology C86234 Professional Weather Station
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on November 29, 2014
Don't waste your money. My rain gauge died after 4 months, the humidity sensor now died after about 18 months. The cloud site that holds the data didn't calculate the rain correctly. I contacted Lacrosse to tell them that their SW was not calculating rain amounts correctly but received only one auto response email and nothing else. Certainly in my case, they didn't support their product. I'm in the process of replacing that weather station and stopped using their weather web site long ago.

My recommendation: look elsewhere other than Lacrosse.
on January 5, 2014
The only problem with this equipment is the wind sensor that stops responding when winds get over 33 mph. It also uses solar rechargeable alkaline AAA batteries that quickly lose battery voltage over time and limit the range of the sensor to just a few feet. Due to the continuous efforts required to reset and keep the anemometer working, it is impossible to recommend this station as other than a toy. Save your money and buy a real weather station.
on January 4, 2015
This product, bought from Costco, is very difficult to use. We've replaced parts -- at our expense! - only to have another part immediately fail. Lacrosse pretends to have a service department, but it is all pretend. Competitive products are a bit more expensive, but well worth the extra money. This is the worst product I've ever seen!
on November 13, 2012
We just bought this yesterday at Costco for $80 and so far could not be happier. I followed the instructions to the letter and everything has worked perfectly. Started out by putting batteries in in exactly the order the manual called for. I allowed a few extra minutes at each step to make sure everything had a chance to synch and communicate. After everyone was talking to each other I started by placing the main unit where it would reside and then worked outward making sure that all the other components maintained contact. It has been pretty easy getting it set up to communicate with iPads and iPhones via a PC laptop too. Should be fun!
on December 31, 2013
I'm not very impressed with this weather station at all. I was excited to receive a weather station as a gift, even though it wasn't the one I had put on my wish list. After less than a year of use, I am no longer excited and really wish I received the better quality station (different brand). There are a few things I particularly didn't like about this station. First, one of my goals was to have it become part of a Personal Weather Station network to provide data for more accurate readings in my area through such services as Weather Underground. However, this model is not equipped to do that. A [major] step down from that would be just having the ability to see your station's weather data remotely online. This model allows you to do that, but you have to register online through La Crosse and that registration expires quickly at which you have to pay monthly fee if you want to continue. Plus the software system La Crosse uses for remote readings is antiquated. Second, it measures only basic things: indoor/outdoor temp and humidity, wind speed, gusts, barometer readings. Third, the weather “prediction” feature is rarely correct unless your location experiences no weather changes ever. Fourth, and the thing that pushed me to finally write this review is the construction of the components is not very sturdy and durable. The stand feels like I am going to rip it in half, the buttons stop working on occasion if not pressed firmly, and, today, the wind gauge broke after less than a year of use. Finally, the measurements this system records are not entirely accurate i.e. rain gauge isn’t very precise, and there is no mount for the rain meter. If you're serious enough about weather to want a station, seriously don't buy this model.
on April 14, 2014
I have had model c84612 since Christmas and have had nothing but problems with the unit. Trying to get customer service is impossible. When you call, everyone is busy and have to leave your phone number then it is over a week before they get back to you. Very frustrating.
on February 2, 2014
We actually ordered a different weather station, on Ebay, and the c86234 showed up 2 days late. I was sweating it, went online, and there is confusion, about what weather station we bought, this picture, is not the c86234, ours looks more like the c84612, but without the wifi, I went to La crosses web site, they have a great, 32 page manual, the correct pictures of the units.
The only reason I did not give it 5 Stars, is because of, my concerns of longevity. The solar wind unit, with rechargeable battery is the weak link. I would preferred a AA litheom Battery, but I have had success changing the batteries in our solar yard lights, so decided to install it and see how that went.
I used the quick install guide that came with it, and I checked the power readings on the batteries(and you should too), before I did
the sync procedure, had it working inside, and took out the temp sending sensor, made sure it worked, then the rain sensor, make sure it worked, then the wind sensor. I let it charge, under a 150 watt bulb for about an hour before I took it outside. Don't know if that is needed, but I needed it to work a while, because it would take time to mount it.
It all is working great! and has for 3 weeks now. The baro. history takes about 3 days to be accurate. We are in southern Colorado
so it took about three nights before the atomic clock found Boulder. I did use there batteries, we shall see what happens. I have an
existing weather station, and the c86234 reading are almost identical, so either they are both wrong, or its fine. I let everything work for a day, before I hooked up the receiving unit on our computer. It downloaded the program it needed from lacrosse, and it also works well. They wish 12.00 a year for the ability to use there web site, to store your current weather conditions. And access any time. I don't need this feature. The software program with it stores, hundreds of your weather readings, for you to use anytime your computer is on, but only has your currents up when you manually sinc. the base unit.
Pros, its great works for me, as advertised, be patient when you set it up! Think about were you put your sensors before you mount them. They are plastic so be careful, down load a compass app for your smart phone, before you try to figure out which direction is true south.
Cons, Its not a Davis weather station, its a backyard weather station, I do wish, the numbers on the display were bigger, and it was back lite, but they are good readable size.
The weather station I have, is 12 years old, If with all the stuff this thing, has on it, lasts half that long I will be really happy!!
on April 14, 2014
Got a very similar system at Costco (C 84612) and it worked fine for first 60 days or so, then the dash lines started appearing indicating the Thermo-Hygro sensor signal was not being received by the weather station. Did a few of their "Quick Restarts" which got them back to working, but only for a day or so. Each time I moved the units closer together to make sure distance or interference wasn't the problem. Then installed fresh Duracell batteries and did the factory re-set where you put all units close together and re-initiate them all with new batteries, etc. Again, all worked for a couple days but once I moved the weather station more that 20' from the outside hygro-thermal sensor the dreaded dash lines appeared again because the signal was lost. I've spent hours re-starting and re-trying but it never works like it did the first several weeks! I've heard about "sensor drift" and that sure sounds like the problem. Trouble is, there's no information about how to adjust for that from LaCrosse. Alas, maybe $99.00 is too cheap a price for a full weather station and one must step up to the Davis, et al systems that are much more money.
on December 27, 2013
I can get the temp/humidity sensor to work, but the wind and rain are dead as a doornail. I tried everything. The sequences they put you through to get this working are designed by a madman. They blithely announce "If no syncing then just remove all batteries for 10 minutes and repeat..." The batteries are behind screw-type protectors with shallow screwheads that can barely be torqued without popping out. HUGE hassle. I've been at this for hours, dead as a doornail. A true POS and the setup procedures are either designed by a mental patient, or designed to put YOU in the nuthouse with him.

Update: Just done a ton of research. They discontinued this piece of crap for good reason, apparently many folks had problems similar to mine. The setup procedure reads like a Monty Python skit. Costco is blowing this out for $79, and it's still not worth it. In this price range, the only way to go seems to be the AcuRite 01500 (also sold by Amazon/Prime) for only $99. Reviews are stellar and setup involves sticking batteries in in any order and it just....plain....works. Plus the central unit has a wall wart so you don't have to keep switching out 4 expensive C batteries and you can leave the backlight on. The AcuRite has a huge amount of options and different modes of measurement. Seems to be an extremely well thought-out and user-friendly piece of gear, as opposed to the nightmare of the La Crosse. I have another La Crosse unit from a few years back and my one encounter with a CSR was creepy: the guy was hostile and insulting and when I would ask a question he would hiss back only what he was reading off a manual. I'm reading other reviews here with similar CSR encounters. Swell.

At $79 the price certainly seemed right, until I discovered WHY they were blowing it out. Yikes. At $150 it's highway robbery. Steer clear and if you want something that works, go with the AcuRite 01500. But do your own research, don't believe me. I think you'll find though that that is the best out there for under $300.
on February 24, 2014
Bought a slightly different version C84612 from Costco. I believe the only difference is the internet gateway. It has been working for the last 6 months without any problem. I was concerned that battery will drain out fast, but we are still going with the original battery. I have compared the values with a nearby University weather station and they look very close. We use it everyday to check outside weather. More fun is to visit the lacrossealerts to see live home weather report online. Recently I ran out a cloud based 90 days historical data viewing service that came free with purchase. I can still view the live weather data online though.