5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Neat Clock
I bought this clock for the wall in my kitchen. So far, the clock seems to work great!

PROS:

Published 7 months ago by Brian Hass

2.0 out of 5 stars Angle of view
Published 10 months ago by Abe Baldwin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Neat Clock, January 4, 2014
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)

PROS:

The clock has a very large display. I love the fact that it features the time, date, day and temperature. The description on the box promises that the clock can run for up to two years on a single new AA-sized alkaline battery. The clock is very attractive in appearance.

CONS:

The display becomes more difficult to read from an angle. Anyone who has ever owned a wristwatch or calculator with an LCD display has seen this phenomenon; so, this should be of no surprise to anyone who purchases the clock.

Overall, I am very pleased with the clock. I installed a new AA battery on January 1, 2014; so, I will see how long the clock actually runs on that battery (I did not use an alkaline battery; so, it probably will not last two years. However, alkaline batteries sometimes have a tendency to leak; so, I decided against using an alkaline battery for that reason).

I purchased this clock to replace an old analog clock from Westclox (which had died after 40 years of continuous use.... I give a five star rating to that old clock by Westclox for its longevity).

I did see that more expensive models of clocks by La Crosse were offered. The more expensive clocks were similar in appearance but provided additional features (such as outdoor temperature and synchronization with the atomic clock in Fort Carson, Colorado). I was tempted to buy one of those clocks; but, a number of reviews complained that the more expensive clocks sometimes went through batteries far too quickly and that the synchronization sometimes didn't work, resulting in the clock being set to the wrong time. As much as the additional features of the more expensive clocks appealed to me, I decided that I needed a reliable wall clock for my kitchen. I chose this clock; because, it allows me to set the time manually. Since this clock will run for a long time on a fresh AA battery, that minimizes the maintenance, I felt that trading off features for reliability was worth it.

It would have been nice if this clock had included an optional power cord for plugging the clock into a wall outlet (with the battery serving as a power backup) as well as illumination to make the display easier to read. However, it is still a very nice clock overall.

2.0 out of 5 stars Angle of view, October 27, 2013
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
Seems to keep correct time. What quartz doesn't? Easy to set time and date. But......if you wish to view the screen straight on, look elsewhere. Straight on is what I call 90 degrees. The numbers will fade to grey at 90 degrees and become much more readable at 25 to 30 degrees below 90. So if you plan to mount the clock somewhere higher than your head, buy the clock. If you want it on a table or desk, look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice wall clock with thermometer, November 14, 2013
Reid Y (Honolulu, HI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
It’s a nice clock with a large display. The only thing I would wish would be that there was a back light of some sort so it can be seen in the dark. However, this would probably be impractical since the clock runs on batteries and this would drain the batteries in no time.
Pros:
-Fairly priced
-Large display

Con:
-Can’t see in the dark (not back lit). But this would probably be impractical since the clock runs on batteries and this would drain the batteries in no time.
- Like another reviewer mentioned, the viewing angles on the LCD is not the best.

Other thoughts:
Accuracy of thermometer? I can’t stick the clock in an ice bath to see if it reads exactly 0 C or 32 F, but I compared it to a meat thermometer I use for cooking and it was about +/- 2 deg F within each other which is close enough for me. If I find the time, I should re-check the calibration of the meat thermometer and then compare it to the clock. I will update this review of my findings.

Maybe a barometer would be nice too?

Besides the poor viewing angle and no back light, it still is a good deal for the price and its very practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clock is a great bargin - Works perfectly in my basement workshop., February 16, 2014
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
Clock is a good size for my 10x10 workshop. I have it mounted at approx 6ft off the floor.

I can view it from multiple angles which was a slight concern when purchasing the clock do to ALL the complaints about the viewing angle.

The temperature is within +/- 1 degree to my calibrate Fluke test thermometer.

I would definitely purchase another one if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Clock, January 11, 2014
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
This was for my bathroom with really high ceilings. Wish it had back lighting, but for the price it serves the purpose plus gives me the temperature. Digital needs to be at eye level for best viewing. With this over the mirror I have to step back to read time because it's digital. Nice big numbers and I really love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a basic clock that can't be viewed at an angle., November 27, 2013
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
It serves its purpose. However, viewing the clock at an angle is impossible. It's large enough to be viewed from afar, but must be viewed from the front vs. from the side at an angle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional clock, January 6, 2014
Karthik J (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
Well designed functional clock. It is definitely worth the price. It would have been good to have a night mode but it is no big deal.

The temperature readout is a useful feature.

Programming and setup was simple and straightforward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would buy another for myself or friend!, November 9, 2013
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
Easy to read from a distance. Sits on desktop, and doesn't have be placed on a wall. The clock has all the functions desired which are, Day, Date, Month and 24 hr clock or Military time plus a regular 12 hour feature. Great clock for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY TO READ, March 31, 2014
Coach Gene "qb12" (Laguna Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
Easy to read from a distance large, clear display. Time numerals are 2" high and date, day, temp are 1" high. Mounted easily on the wall with just a standard picture hanger. Very pleased with the unit and price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Small as a wall clock, not so great viewing angles, a little too thick, June 19, 2014
This review is from: La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock (Misc.)
The high ratings here do not really reflect the quality of this product, even at this price. We're talking 2014, and a simple digital clock with a non-backlit LCD is so 80s technology. I bought it to use as a wall clock, but it has three shortcomings: No. 1, a little too small, maybe by 20%; No. 2, if the bottom of the clock is above the top of the head of an average American woman, you can barely see the digits due to poor viewing angle; No. 3, the product picture does not show this but it's actually quite a thick. More likely it was designed as a desk clock, as it does have an alarm function but you cannot access the buttons when it's hanging on a wall. I'm not really happy with this as a wall clock. Like I mentioned, it's not backlit. Does not even have a button to turn on a sidelight.

La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock