Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Size: Inquiries - by emailChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 23, 2008
First off, heed the warnings from the manufacturer: don't put these in locations where they can get heavily rained on, and don't put them in direct sunlight.

I purchased this sensor as an add-on to a LaCrosse Weather Station so I can monitor an additional location. I've had it for a number of months now. This sensor is located in the backyard, attached to a deck underneath an overhang so it doesn't get too wet.

I live in a part of the country where the winters are long and harsh. We've had temperatures below freezing for almost two months straight now, with a low of -15F so far this season, and this sensor is still working. If it makes it through May (the end of our winter) I'll be surprised. I'll post an update if I have any problems!

UPDATE: Sept 28, 2009 (9 months after original review above): This sensor lasted all winter and summer, despite having snow accumulate on the top during the winter and lows of -15F and winds of 80mph... amazing. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have as good of luck this winter too!

UPDATE 2: April 24, 2010 (16 months after original review): Sensor still going strong, and still using the original battery! Made it through another long and harsh winter. For the price and considering the weather this sensor has endured, it is an AMAZING value. If I wish to replace the indoor weather station in the future, I will definitely look for one that is compatible with these sensors.

UPDATE 3: November 17, 2010 (23 months after original review): I almost feel ridiculous coming back here to update on this product again, but this thing is still working. I just don't understand it! I noticed that the top sometimes has snow on top of it (yes, we just got 20" over the past week), so it isn't as well-protected from the elements as I originally thought... yet it is still working and still accurate! I can't believe that I am gushing over a $15 temperature sensor LOL

UPDATE 4: January 28, 2011 (25 months after original review): Well, the batteries in one sensor finally died last month. I replaced the batteries (old and new ones are Duracell Ultras) in both sensors and everything is working great again. On a side note: we had temperatures of -20F over New Year's weekend with wind chills of -51F (its ridiculous and true). Guess what? Outdoor sensor worked fine and was within 1-2 degrees of actual temperatures registered by others in the area using their much more expensive equipment. :)

UPDATE 5: December 14, 2011 (3 years after original review): They're still going strong!

UPDATE 6: February 1, 2013 (4+ years after original review): Both are still working and still accurate!

UPDATE 7: October 12, 2014 (almost 6 years after original review): Someone commented on the review and it made me realize I should update. They're still working fine. I consider this luck at this point. :)
1515 comments173 of 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2009
This wireless temperature sensor works extremely well and is easy
to set up - but you absolutely must follow the directions exactly.

Range is excellent - but just make sure that some large object such
as a metal shed or a large oak tree is not in line-of-sight between
any of the transmitters and the receiver.

I am using 3 of these temp sensors with the 915 MHz receiver. One
sensor came with the receiver, and I just purchased two more, since the
receiver can display up to three different temperatures from three
sensors. However be advised that if you carry one or more of these
sensors out of range and the receiver loses track of it, you absolutely
must take the batteries out of all three sensors and out of the
receiver and re-initialize all of them. This is not a difficult step,
since I did it several times while playing around with the sensors to
see how much range they had - which resulted in the receiver losing
track of one of them.

When you first see the instruction booklet that comes with the receiver,
it looks daunting, but not to worry, since only a tiny part of it is in
English, with all the rest in other languages. Once the temp sensors are
initialized, then it takes only a few seconds to set the clock.

I read in other reviews that some buyers had problems getting their
receiver to respond to some sensors, but that is because the buyers failed
to properly re-initialize their units. Also be advised that if you buy
a display unit that receives transmissions at 915 MHz, then you absolutely
must buy sensors that also transmit at 915 MHz. Several of the sensors
that are sold by Amazon look alike, but not all of them use 915 MHz, so
carefully read the tech specs to make sure that both the transmitter and
the receiver operate at 915 MHz.
0Comment53 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2009
Bought this to replace one that was mounted too low and got fried when snow covered it. Works fine. The trick with these units is to replace the batteries in all devices that talk to each other at the same time. Change the batteries in this first, then the other device(s) within one minute. When the batteries get low they won't talk and if you don't change them in this order they will not communicate.
11 comment18 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2012
I am now on my 4th LaCrosse transmiter. All the others died due to moisture and corrosion. We live in Central Florida and summers usually run >90% humidity. All the comments about LaCrosse customer service are true. I could get as much help calling the manager of my local ice cream shop as from them. They are clueless.

The usual replies are:
1. Change the batteries (did that)
2. Buy a new one. (Check for correct frequency)

Now wait six months and start with step one again. :P

Don't even think of sending it back for repair. It's cheaper and faster to just buy one.....again.

The old fogies all time comment, "We can put a man on the moon,but LaCrosse can't make a waterproof transmitter"
33 comments20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2008
If its where rain can reach it it can quit functioning. As it is to be used outside how do you NOT get rained on. My first one died.
88 comments31 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2012
My La Crosse Technologe wireless Temp. sensor did not work from day one I pulled the batters on both the clock and the outside sensor. I even tried setting the wireless sensor next to the clock for a week and it never showed the out side temperature. So to be its not worth the time or money to send it back. Tom
on May 27, 2009
As previously mentioned, getting this sensor wet can cause it to quit functioning, which is really not very impressive for a weather sensor! I have a remote sensor attached to the grill of my automobile that gets rather wet quite often and still functions correctly, so why can't this one?
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2011
I bought this Lacrosse weather station in January 2011. The wireless outside temp transmitter failed in July 2011. These transmitters should last longer.
I have been using a La Crosse Technology 915 MHz Wireless Temperature Sensor since Jan 2009. Over the years I added more weather stations to this same temperature sensor, including two La Crosse WS-9611U-IT Wireless Forecast Station with Oscar Outlook, and one La Crosse WS-9160U-IT Digital Thermometer. So far the sensor survived four winters without any problems. It is installed outdoor but protected from rain and direct sunlight, of course.

I use two Rayovac Platinum Pre-Charged NiMH AA Size Batteries in this sensor, and I only replace/recharge those batteries once every year or so. In the last session, I removed those Rayovac batteries from the sensor after 15 months, and measured their remaining charge using my La Crosse BC1000 battery charger. I was surprised to see that they still contain 79% of the original 2100mAh capacity! That means those batteries can theoretically run for 5 years between charges. The only limiting factor is that: when any of my weather stations' battery run out, I am forced to go through the synchronization procedure between this sensor and all weather stations.

One complaint I have against this product: its battery compartment is very poorly designed. Please see the photo I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section, and you'll see what I mean. It is easy for the user to place the two batteries in the wrong polarity, so the unit either will not work, or may even get damaged. One star deducted for that.
review image
on February 2, 2012
I have replaced 2 of these remote sensors and after reading other reviews feel that this is not a well built device. Neither of my sensors got rained on, though it was damp under a protective tarp. There was some freezing weather which should not have been a problem. No direct sunlight. So, why do these fail? I am going to buy 1 more and if this one fails with in 3 months, I will switch to a different system. It is surprising how many other reviews mention the same problem. Be cautious when purchasing this system. It is inexpensive for a reason.
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse