4.0 out of 5 stars Great features and works well if you set it up correctly
Published on December 23, 2008 by SoCalReviews

3.0 out of 5 stars After a year...
Published on April 11, 2011 by a work in progress

4.0 out of 5 stars Great features and works well if you set it up correctly, December 23, 2008
SoCalReviews (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Crosse Technology WS-8418U-IT Atomic Digital Wall Clock with Moon Phase (Kitchen)
I have another automatic time adjusting atomic digital wall clock with a large display that I purchased a few years ago at Radio Shack that is similar but only has the indoor temperature. I liked the remote outdoor temperature sensor feature and the moon phase displays so I decided to purchase this La Crosse brand as an upgrade. The automatic updating and self adjusting nature of these extremely accurate digital atomic clocks is what makes them really different from less accurate traditional quartz clocks. After going through the process myself I must emphasize how important it is that the directions in the provided instruction booklet are followed exactly when setting this clock up.

Here are some tips for obtaining the best results. Install the remote temperature sensor batteries before installing the batteries on the main unit. I have read in other reviews that Energizer lithium or similar non-rechargeable lithium batteries work the best for a longer life and to hold up during colder freezing outdoor weather. Start by placing the outdoor sensor within a few feat of the main unit so they can sync and so you know the outdoor sensor transmission works properly. What I did was manually set up the clock first and the atomic auto-time feature is supposed to adjust the time later but make sure you have the correct time zone and the daylight savings set for your location. I manually set the time two minutes faster than my other atomic clock and sure enough had adjusted the time automatically and it exactly matched my other atomic clock by the next day.

Make sure the clock is in a location where it can receive the atomic clock radio signal. Thick concrete walls, basements, extreme weather, and the time of day can alter the ability of the atomic radio signal transmission (which bounces off the atmosphere) to reach this clock. If it doesn't update right away make sure you have exited the setup mode (usually done by pressing the snooze button once after being in setup mode). Give it at least a day to see if it it does in fact auto update the time from the radio signal it is is supposed to receive. If it doesn't adjust to the correct time then try placing the clock in another location that has less potential obstructions in the direction of the sky so that the atomic radio signal readings are not inhibited. There will be a small digital symbol of a radio signal in the LCD display above the time after it has updated and has been able to properly receive the signal.

Choosing a good location for the outdoor temperature sensor is also important to its proper function. After you have confirmed that it works near the clock and the clock has been properly set up try placing the remote temperature sensor outside in a location you believe the signal will be able to reach the clock. The directions say the remote sensor's maximum range is 300 feet but I would recommend setting it up closer or within fifty feet if possible. Before mounting the sensor make sure it is in fact properly updating the outside temperature reading on the clock inside. Thick concrete walls and metallic window blinds can block the signal strength so try to install the remote outdoor temperature sensor as close to and in line of sight to the clock as you can while being aware of possible obstructions that could block its radio signal.

The quality of the outdoor temperature reading will be determined by having a good location for the outdoor remote sensor. The sensor is not waterproof so it should not get wet, should not have direct sunlight, or be in a location with excessive direct wind or weather. Here are some ideas about finding a good location to mount the sensor. You will want to choose a shady covered location on the side of your house with a location underneath cover. Its the end of December in California and I first installed my remote temperature sensor not too far from the inside wall where the clock was but just outside above a large glass window. It was a good location to avoid direct sun and it was protected from rain by the top of the window frame but I found that there was enough heat escaping from the glass window to increase the sensor's temperature by at least five degrees F. I took it down and placed it on a chair outside the window and the temperature dropped to its proper reading. I searched for a better location that would not be effected by heat from the house. I found one around the corner of the house that was still near in distance to the indoor clock and just below the roof overhang but protected from rain, wind, and sun, etc.. and used the screws provided to mount it into the wooden siding of the house. The plastic mounting hardware keeps the sensor floating more freely in the air. I also placed a separate wooden screw directly underneath the sensor for it to sit on just to make it more secure.

This seems to be a good product with great features for the money. The indoor clock readings are easy to see. The moon phase display was a little confusing at first. Apparently it displays the black shading to correspond to the brightness of the moon. My older atomic clock has the setup buttons on the back while this model has them on the front. This made the setup and adjustments of this La Crosse brand clock much easier than my other atomic clock. I will find out if the claims of longer battery life and reliable function are true within the coming months but so far this seems like a good product. The only other issue I would like to note is that I first noticed the indoor temperature sensor on the clock reading about one to one and a half degrees higher than my older atomic clock. This difference might be explained because the La Crosse clock is capable of displaying the temperature in tenths of a degree F of accuracy while the my older clock displays only within a single degrees F of accuracy. The La Crosse clock is also capable of updating more frequently which means that you will sometimes see the temperature display vary from half of a degree F to one degree F several times per minute. The temperature of the air inside a living space often changes and varies as the air moves around from the activity of fans, air conditioners, heaters, doors opening, etc..

There are other models of atomic clocks from La Crosse available in different looks (desktop sizes, wood styling, traditional analog styling, etc.) with more features including weather prediction capability, more sensors, humidity, second remote sensor, etc. but this basic model with indoor and outdoor temperature sensing, moon phases, time and date does seem to work well. Because of the finicky nature of setting up the outdoor sensor and the fact that the outdoor sensor is not water proof I lowered my rating one star from the highest five star rating. I still recommend this large display La Crosse atomic clock and think it is an excellent value for the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars After a year..., April 11, 2011
This is the second of two LaCrosse clocks I've purchased I've purchased of this type. Both have indoor/outdoor temp. The outdoor temp feature quit working after a year. I decided to take a risk and buy another. Guess what? Outdoor temp sensor crapped out in about a year's time... again. I bought an Accurite indoor/outdoor temp monitor and a LaCrosse made "Weather Channel" weather station/clock at nearly the same time. All are wireless and the latter two are still working. The remote outdoor temp sensors were kept in the same place under the same conditions. Decide for yourself what you'd like to buy but I wanted to share my experience w/ these clocks after more than a couple of month's use to help you make a decision.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Junk, August 19, 2011
Eric (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This is the second LaCrosse clock I have owned. The first one I had, which was obsoleted long ago when they changed the laws governing DST, had issues with reception from the wireless temperature sensor. The wireless sensor for this clock worked for 1 day and then the dreaded "dashes" appeared. In order to reestablish communication you have to remove the batteries from your clock, which means you have to go through the whole time setup again. And it may take several tries to get that to work. I had hoped LaCrosse would've have worked these issues out over the years. But apparently not and apparently the idea of a simple reset button is beyond them.

It's an ok clock, but don't count on using the outdoor temp sensor.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Manufactuer Support, September 12, 2011
As others have stated here, Clock quit after 3 weeks. Contacted Manufacturer(LaCrosse). They blamed the batteries. Replaced the batteries with Duracell coppertop with expiration date 7 years from present date. Clock quit (again) after 3 weeks. No manufacturer support. They won't back the warranty. Buyer beware! Zero Stars not available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outside Temp, Atomic Time, Great Value - Recommended, November 30, 2008
The "La Crosse Atomic Digital Wall Clock" is a very attractive device that can be hung from a wall or placed on desk/table/counter with the included folding legs.

The unit comes with an outside transmitter for reading the temp and the inside unit displays both the inside and outside readings. We have found it to be very accurate and it has a very good range (over 100' from the house).

Our unit keeps perfect time and also displays the date, day of the week, and phase of the moon.

The clock and transmitter each take 2 AA batteries (not included).

This has been a handy device and is well worth the price. Recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars La Crosse engineering/support failure, December 5, 2013
ETD (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I own four of La Crosse's so called "Radio Controlled", or "Atomic", clocks ... all four originally worked perfect, then all four failed on the same day (still indicating that they received the NIST signal, but failing to re-set the clock). I understand that the NIST transmission was upgraded on that day, but they say that no existing receivers should be effected, the original time data is still on the signal, and it was just an upgrade. I did my research on the web, and found that thousands of other La Crosse clock users had the same problem. In other words, the La Crosse engineers should have designed a system that would tolerate upgrades to the signal.

I contacted La Crosse, carefully explaining the situation, and asking if they were going to do the right thing, and provide a solution, or new working clocks. They responded with a standard form letter, suggesting that I "try changing the batteries", or "try moving the clocks to a different location". I responded explaining that I had already tried all of that, and I again carefully explained that all four clocks functioned perfectly, and all four failed on the same day (still indicating that they received the NIST signal, but failing to re-set the clock) ... this is not a battery or location issue, it's an engineering failure.

The final response from La Crosse was that my clocks are "out of warranty", so it's my problem, not theirs.

So let me ask you this ... if a company refuses to do the right thing, and replace a product with an obvious design flaw, why would anyone ever buy a product from them again?

4.0 out of 5 stars Immaculate Time!, August 29, 2008
Thom Carey "brains" (Yonkers, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This clock keeps immaculate time and is good looking as well. The only thing I would do is add an anti-glare covering as it is hard to read when the sun hits it. It looks good with the rest of my furniture. The time is easily read at any distance, but you need to get closer to see the date, day and temperatures. The moon phase is a cool little conversation piece and it's fun to see which phase the moon is in as it moves across the clock face.

1.0 out of 5 stars Eats Batteries and No Customer Service, March 31, 2011
We bought this clock in March of 2010 after our kids broke the old La Crosse clock we had of a slightly different model. At first, we had to replace the batteries after less than two months, which was much quicker than with the first La Crosse clock we had bought. As time went on, this new La Crosse clock ate batteries at an increasing rate and now, brand new alkaline batteries last about TWO WEEKS.

We emailed La Crosse and received a reply to check the batteries. I emailed them again and got only an auto-reply. I called after 22 days following the fist email (even though the support section of their web site says they will get back to you in 3-5 business days and is much faster than phone support.) Now I am waiting for "the technician" who is out at the moment. Wow. What a way to run a business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice clock, January 22, 2011
This is a very nice atomic clock for the price. The only area that could be explained more it the outdoor thermometer which needs to be put in a location that is outside but cannot get wet. This really limits the locations this item can be placed and yet still within reach of the clock. Other than that we love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This clock is fantastic, November 28, 2010
ehm1217 (Ocean City, NJ) - See all my reviews
This is an outstanding clock. Set up was easy and everything worked as promised. The only advice is to be be patient and resist the urge to set the time manually. Just put the batteries in and hang it up. Within a day the time will set itself and you'll never have to adjust it. We're pleased with the outdoor temperature sensor too because it really works. We bought this clock earlier this year and the outdoor sensor has survived a bitter winter and blistering summer. I had to replace the outdoor-sensor batteries today -- 10 months after they were fist installed. Within a few seconds after the new batteries went in the outdoor temp resumed its display.